Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hup posted:

I wish I could be as excited for literally anything like DT is for Red Hood.

DT every time a new issue of RHATO comes out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

DT every time a new issue of RHATO comes out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw

let's be real here

DT is probably the exact same way about trains too :downs:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I give it about five issues before Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman show up in RHATO to be the unlikable, disapproving authority straw-men who wants to shut down these loose cannons, only for our radical hoodlums to "put them in their place" somehow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superman #2 and GA #2 are excellent as expected.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hows Flintstones?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hows Flintstones?

I forgot to read it! It's in my pullbox though. Justice League Rebirth was shockingly not bad. I liked Batman #2 but I need to re-read it before I make a final call.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Four Score posted:

let's be real here

DT is probably the exact same way about trains too :downs:

One thing I've never been entirely clear on: is the whole "likes trains = autistic" meme based on trainspotters being the prototypical anoraks or autistic children loving Thomas the Tank Engine?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I've never been entirely clear on: is the whole "likes trains = autistic" meme based on trainspotters being the prototypical anoraks or autistic children loving Thomas the Tank Engine?

It predates Thomas by at least a decade.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman's ability to vanish after talking to people on the GCPD roof is now a confirmed superpower.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Autistic people loving trains is very much a thing. A quick search brought up this article with some explanations why.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Superman was really fuckin good this week!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So you guys are calling that dude autistic?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I wish I could get as excited for something as that train dude.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's toddtistic. He's got toddism

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

And tbh DT puts way more effort into one post than all my posts combined.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I was not, I was simply saying that D_T gets as excited for RHATO as that dude gets about trains, everyone else decided to take it in some weird direction

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Shiny Ponyta kid would have been better.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So for this week's comics:

Aquaman: Is just sort of there. The exchange between Arthur and Manta was nice but overall it was kind of a forgettable issue

Superman: Very good issue, likely the best of the week. The Superdad angle definitely is the right one to take with the old Superman instead of trying to cram him into the role of N52 Superman like Action Comics or JL are doing.

JL: Mediocre and with really spotty art. It was nice that they acknowledge the whole thing with the two supermans but aside of that, meh. I did found amusing the (I'm hoping) coincidental Mass Effect reference though.

Green Lanterns: Solid issue but after seeing all the development the RL had in their own series is painful to see them regress to the violent lunatics they were during Wrath of the First Lantern. Simon is a very entertaining character and is pretty much the one carrying the title by himself, Jessica is just boring and at times irritating.

Green Arrow: Another solid issue although Schimdt is the actual star here. His pencils are just a treat for the eyes. The plot is going in an interesting direction as well but to be honest, I'm really tired of "Ollie loses EVERYTHING and hast to start anew" stories

Batman: Continues to be monumentally stupid and try hard. King does write a good Alfred and Gordon (although to be honest Snyder set the bar so low with Alfred that is hardly an accomplishment) but his Bruce is cringeworthy and irritating. I was hoping that King would change my mind about him with this series but nope, he's delivering the mediocre work I was expecting from him. A shame really, I'd liked to add Batman to my pull list again.

BrianWilly posted:

I give it about five issues before Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman show up in RHATO to be the unlikable, disapproving authority straw-men who wants to shut down these loose cannons, only for our radical hoodlums to "put them in their place" somehow.

That only will happen if the book is dragged into a crossover, Lobdell has always been one to keep the Outlaws on their own for the most part.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Batman: Continues to be monumentally stupid and try hard. King does write a good Alfred and Gordon (although to be honest Snyder set the bar so low with Alfred that is hardly an accomplishment) but his Bruce is cringeworthy and irritating. I was hoping that King would change my mind about him with this series but nope, he's delivering the mediocre work I was expecting from him. A shame really, I'd liked to add Batman to my pull list again.

Batman is only good like, 25% of the time. Too overexposed, too many books, too many writers wanting a go at him. It's like the video game crash of the seventies, except people eat it up because Batman is Batman.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I cannot get over the irony of someone who loves Jason Todd saying Batman is a stupid cringeworthy tryhard.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

JoshTheStampede posted:

I cannot get over the irony of someone who loves Jason Todd saying Batman is a stupid cringeworthy tryhard.

Well, Lobdell has never handled Jason like that. In RHATO he was constantly being bailed out from danger by Kori and any triumph he had, it was after a considerable amount of effort on his part. Even in RH/A most of the time it was Roy the one that came out with a solution, with Jason being the one buying him time most of the time.

King on the other hand has Bruce pulling a lot of idiotic stunts that only serve to say "Look, Batman is loving awesome!" like lifting loving Solomon Grundy with one hand or pulling his usual vanishing act on Gordon just to have actual superpowered characters comment that they can't find him anymore with their powers. That kind of character shilling is ridiculous.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Man if there's one thing Tom King is known for it's delivering mediocre work. You know, at the same time he's putting out one of if not the best comic being published in any form. That guy. That Tom King.

In other news, Flintstones was loving incredible. It should not have been as good as that was, but holy loving gently caress is that comic loving fantastic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

King on the other hand has Bruce pulling a lot of idiotic stunts that only serve to say "Look, Batman is loving awesome!" like lifting loving Solomon Grundy with one hand or pulling his usual vanishing act on Gordon just to have actual superpowered characters comment that they can't find him anymore with their powers. That kind of character shilling is ridiculous.

You're not wrong, that's pretty dumb, but to be fair to King that's a real easy pratfall for writers of Batman to stumble into.

Toxxupation posted:

Man if there's one thing Tom King is known for it's delivering mediocre work. You know, at the same time he's putting out one of if not the best comic being published in any form. That guy. That Tom King.

I like Vision too but even the best writers drop the ball sometimes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The point is it's really loving dumb to say Tom King is known for delivering mediocre work when his last three writing credits are Omega Men, Grayson, and Vision, not that he's incapable of loving up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Fairer, though I still don't like Grayson. Haven't read Omega Men yet. I really should.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't think it was like, the absolute greatest thing ever, but it was definitely well-constructed and more to the point it's critically beloved and the fanbase really adored it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

D_T, who would you consider the best writer in comics?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Toxxupation posted:

The point is it's really loving dumb to say Tom King is known for delivering mediocre work when his last three writing credits are Omega Men, Grayson, and Vision, not that he's incapable of loving up.

:shrug:

I don't read Marvel, Omega Men didn't do anything for me (and I hated the whole "Kyle is latino only when he prays" thing), Grayson started strong but went downhill pretty fast and Robin War was downright terrible. The only work of his that I've liked was the GL: Darkseid War one shot and even that had some details I didn't like. So yeah, King for me is a mediocre writer.

Norns posted:

D_T, who would you consider the best writer in comics?

Hard to tell, everyone has its faults. But going from the writers I've read on DC, Taylor, Pak and Soule are pretty high there.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batman judo threw Grundy, he was running at him and Batman used his momentum to send him flying. He definitely didn't just pick him up, there was just a panel depicting the flip. Also Batman was hiding from Superman's vision power decades ago. He's good at this poo poo. Gotham and Gotham Girl are rubes, Batman's going to run circles around them.

It's a slow ramp up but I like where king is going.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also the most recent issue of Batman was loving great, so I dunno what the hell D_T is talking about.

Lark feels like a total bust of a hero already, which is all the more disappointing considering how well We Are Robin/Robin War wrote and arced Duke Thomas. Hopefully he gets brought in soon over just hanging around. Beyond that, loved Gotham and Gotham Girl and this was a great issue that set up a bunch of interesting ongoing conflicts while doing good character work. And it was actually pretty funny, too.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I feel Tom King's Batman is a really well-made populist action book with great setpieces, and I like the way it's setting up stories that are gonna pay off now (Batman trying to see where the Gotham Kids are going), later (the whole Monster Men thing that's gonna be an Halloween event), and even later (because whatever Hugo Strange is doing can't be good).

Like, sure, it's not a heady contemplation of alienation in contemporary society, American foreign policy or the effects of the war in Iraq on the people and the structures of that country, but, I don't really read the main Batman ongoing for those.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

What editor at DC looked at these pencils and went "Yep, looks good, not horrifying on absolutely every level, ink it"?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

An editor rushed for time is what

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ElNarez posted:

I feel Tom King's Batman is a really well-made populist action book with great setpieces, and I like the way it's setting up stories that are gonna pay off now (Batman trying to see where the Gotham Kids are going), later (the whole Monster Men thing that's gonna be an Halloween event), and even later (because whatever Hugo Strange is doing can't be good).

Like, sure, it's not a heady contemplation of alienation in contemporary society, American foreign policy or the effects of the war in Iraq on the people and the structures of that country, but, I don't really read the main Batman ongoing for those.

Hugo Strange and the Monster Men are the same story, he's the creator of the Monster Men every time that story's been done (which this will only be the third time, so it's not like it's a terrible rehash or anything). Unless Tom throws us a curveball and Hugo's appearance in today's issue is a red herring.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Toxxupation posted:

What editor at DC looked at these pencils and went "Yep, looks good, not horrifying on absolutely every level, ink it"?

Was this in today's GL?

Man I'm going to be dropping this book after today's issue aren't I?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 6, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Hootington posted:

Was this in today's GL?

Yeah.

I finished reading from my DC pull list this week. Batman was great as aforementioned, Superman was again the standout, however. Tomasi just has a magic touch when it comes to portraying believable and relatable Father/Son relationships, and the stuff between Jonathan and Clark was all fantastic. A little nervous about the final page Eradicator reveal but if anyone can make that dude work in this century Tomasi can.

Green Arrow was fine, I guess, but pulled away hard from the socially conscious liberalism that defined the book previously, folding it back to a typical "Ollie North is getting HUNTED DOWN" story. Otherwise unremarkable.

I'm on my last legs with Green Lanterns. I can't believe I'm already sick of Jessica Cruz and her dumb as poo poo anxiety issues because of how without nuance they're portraying it, just having it repeated with interior thought textboxes (Which, at this point, I consider a reliance on interior thought textboxes the hallmark of a hack writer) over and over endlessly, just jamming on how Jessica Cruz has anxiety and spent three years as a shut-in over, you know, showing it or doing literally anything beyond just telling the audience over and over. Also she just comes across as a smarmy prick in general.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Hugo Strange and the Monster Men are the same story, he's the creator of the Monster Men every time that story's been done (which this will only be the third time, so it's not like it's a terrible rehash or anything). Unless Tom throws us a curveball and Hugo's appearance in today's issue is a red herring.

huh

gotta admit I did not know poo poo about the Monster Men, good to learn

turns out Amanda Waller is the one with the super weird deal I want to know more about

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ElNarez posted:

huh

gotta admit I did not know poo poo about the Monster Men, good to learn

turns out Amanda Waller is the one with the super weird deal I want to know more about

I highly recommend Matt Wagner's Batman and the Monster Men miniseries. It's so so good. I think this upcoming event is going to be pretty different though, since that one was a Year One Era story and the monster men were just giant dudes and not the bizarre poo poo they're going for with the 2016 monster men.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Batman and Justice Leauge both solid today! All is good in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

pulling his usual vanishing act on Gordon just to have actual superpowered characters comment that they can't find him anymore with their powers. That kind of character shilling is ridiculous.

That is a ridiculous moment stretching credulity. Luckily he's writing a comic book.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

going from the writers I've read on DC, Taylor, Pak and Soule are pretty high there.

Are you still ignoring Marvel? Soule's done great stuff there with She-Hulk and the Inhumans comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 6, 2016