Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Chaykin's Challengers of the Unknown from 2004 was cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I was reading some funny articles about Liefeld and wondered if he's ever worked exclusively as an inker? I could almost see it working if a good penciller laid down decent anatomy, perspective, coherent story telling and backgrounds first.

I know it would be cross hatched to hell and back but I think it's possible that Rob's "energy" might actually translate OK with a solid drawer.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

BiggerBoat posted:

I was reading some funny articles about Liefeld and wondered if he's ever worked exclusively as an inker? I could almost see it working if a good penciller laid down decent anatomy, perspective, coherent story telling and backgrounds first.

I know it would be cross hatched to hell and back but I think it's possible that Rob's "energy" might actually translate OK with a solid drawer.

He inked some Kirby stuff in the mid-90s and somehow still managed to remove nearly every foot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

funtax posted:

He inked some Kirby stuff in the mid-90s and somehow still managed to remove nearly every foot.

This is the comic book version of that lady who erased the Jesus painting and tried to put it back.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Travis343 posted:

Thank you for defending Howard Chaykin so that I do not have to go on a weird rant again

I hope Chaykin's stub arms period is just forgotten about. A novelty to bring up as a joke. "Oh poo poo yeah, I forgot Chaykin was drawing Wolverine like a morlock then!" It's pretty much monthly hackery anyway, so who really cares? Nothing of value was really lost.

funtax posted:

That reminds me, Liefeld along with the rest of the original Image crew helped eliminate the "Jack the Hack" stigma that had been plaguing Kirby since the 70s. It's clear that he was one of their top artistic inspirations, they loved him and they frequently said so. I don't think they get enough credit for that.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 6, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Otto Schmidt on Green Arrow #2.

e: He did his own colours too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 7, 2016

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Teenage Fansub posted:

Otto Schmidt on Green Arrow #2.

I mean, that is definitely some beautiful art.

However, I have no idea what the gently caress is going on storywise. Why is Oliver plunging into hell?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Savidudeosoo posted:

I mean, that is definitely some beautiful art.

However, I have no idea what the gently caress is going on storywise. Why is Oliver plunging into hell?

Green Arrow is the best looking book DC is publishing right now and also he was having some wicked nightmares.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

4 Kids Walk Into A Bank #2

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Teenage Fansub posted:

That is... really pretty sweet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're not reading 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank, well, you probably need to fix that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jaime McKelvie did the art direction for the new CHVRCHES video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9BLMNn0PrQ

It looks only ok overlaid on the CGI imo, though there are some more 2D moments (esp. starting at 1:36) where it looks amazing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

I hope Chaykin's stub arms period is just forgotten about. A novelty to bring up as a joke. "Oh poo poo yeah, I forgot Chaykin was drawing Wolverine like a morlock then!" It's pretty much monthly hackery anyway, so who really cares? Nothing of value was really lost.

That reminds me, Liefeld along with the rest of the original Image crew helped eliminate the "Jack the Hack" stigma that had been plaguing Kirby since the 70s. It's clear that he was one of their top artistic inspirations, they loved him and they frequently said so. I don't think they get enough credit for that.

.....people disliked Jack Kirby? Were they high?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They were influenced by Marvel propaganda when their conflict with him was at it's height, and confused by Fourth World, Eternals and Devil Dinosaur in comparison to the 60s Marvel work that made him famous. Silver Star and Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers were received very poorly too. So no, they weren't high, just stupid.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 12, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
A lot of people didn't like Kirby, especially a lot of kids/teens in the late 70's early 80's who hated his blocky style, square eyes and who preferred hyper cool anatomy renderers like Neil Adams, John Buscema, Jim Aparo and the kings of super incredible detail like George Perez. For a while, the things that dictated taste were how REAL something looked, which is not bad in and of itself and I like it too. Take Alex Ross for example.

I myself didn't come to appreciate Kirby until I began to understand composition, storytelling and the practical application of solid black ink on a page. As I aged and looked at his work again with fresh eyes I realized what a master he was.

You can read an entire comic of Kirby art without captions or dialogue and know exactly what's going on, which is really the benchmark of the medium. Frank Miller at his best was the same way and suffered the same faults (blocky characters, loose anatomy, etc.).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Remember that the 90s had Rob Liefeld and Joe Mad as the super hot artists everyone wanted to copy because classic comics look BORING man.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I remember seeing Kirby as a kid and being blown away by it without even knowing his name (comics probably taught me to read but for quite a while I just looked at the pictures) because everything looked so substantial and solid.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Lightning Lord posted:

They were influenced by Marvel propaganda when their conflict with him was at it's height, and confused by Fourth World, Eternals and Devil Dinosaur in comparison to the 60s Marvel work that made him famous. Silver Star and Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers were received very poorly too. So no, they weren't high, just stupid.

Jonathan Lethem wrote a pretty good essay about the perception of Kirby in 70s

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v26/n08/jonathan-lethem/my-marvel-years

quote:

Marvel was complicit in my muddled yearning backwards; ours, I should say – mine, Luke’s, even Karl’s. By the time of Kirby’s return, talk of Marvel’s ‘greatness’ was explicitly nostalgic. Any argument, based on a typically American myth of progress, that our contemporary comics might be even more wonderful, was everywhere undermined by a pining for the heyday of the 1960s. This was accomplished most prominently in Stan Lee’s two books: Origins and Son of Origins, which reproduced and burnished the creation myths of the great 1960s characters. Nostalgia was further propagated in Marvel’s reprint titles: Marvel Tales, which offered rewarmed Spider-Man, and the too-aptly-titled Marvel’s Greatest Comics, which put forward the Kirby-Lee run of The Fantastic Four. This was a bit like Paul McCartney and Wings playing Beatles songs on Wings over America. We 1970s kids couldn’t have been issued a clearer message: we’d missed the party.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I also think a lot of the work Kirby was doing in the 70s was out of step with the market. Bronze Age, to me, means more grounded and realistic (or "realistic") and less crazy high-concept - Spider-Man fighting Roxxon Oil and dealing with the death of Gwen Stacy, Neal Adams' Batman doing the Darknight Detective things and fighting the global League of Assassins instead of weird gimmick villains, and so on. And here's Kirby, going further and further out there with his elaborate Cosmic storytelling (Fourth World) and weird fringe ideas (Kamandi, Devil Dinosaur, the Celestials, OMAC).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

As much as I love Kirby, Kamandi and Devil Dinosaur are not things that 99.99% of the population gives a poo poo about. It's kinda like Ditko and Creeper/Hawk and Dove.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm not sure what's going on here, is it that the older guy has been arrested before?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

I'm not sure what's going on here, is it that the older guy has been arrested before?
Yes. That's her dad.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

BiggerBoat posted:

A lot of people didn't like Kirby, especially a lot of kids/teens in the late 70's early 80's who hated his blocky style, square eyes and who preferred hyper cool anatomy renderers like Neil Adams, John Buscema, Jim Aparo and the kings of super incredible detail like George Perez. For a while, the things that dictated taste were how REAL something looked, which is not bad in and of itself and I like it too. Take Alex Ross for example.

That's still going on. I've seen people rag on Mike Allred for not being part of the Adams school.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That's still going on. I've seen people rag on Mike Allred for not being part of the Adams school.

And what's weird is the current aesthetic in comics (very cartoon, very graphic) can be traced to what I'd call the Allred school.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey, we all go back to Ugg placing his handprint on that cave wall, man.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Dear Venom: Space Knight.

The least you could have done is remove the Tau empire symbol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

Ollivetti is known for tracing video games.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

Ollivetti is known for tracing video games.

Sure, but loving remove the copyrighted symbol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

Sure, but loving remove the copyrighted symbol.

More effort than he's capable of. He uses Quake screencaps for backgrounds and couldn't bother to remove the crosshairs.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

More effort than he's capable of. He uses Quake screencaps for backgrounds and couldn't bother to remove the crosshairs.

I know I'm being naive, but I can't believe dudes who get paid for their art get away with this.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I don't even think this one's traced.

Fake Edit: Yup. That's literally just a resized poser model. The hatches/drones/turrets must be separate parts, which is why they're tiny and you can literally see the wall through the untextured inside of the model.

Real Edit: If I can find it after a 2 second google search, someone deserves to get fired over it.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 13, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Onmi posted:

It's uh, a tongue-in-cheek reference, a game with the reader, like when real artists put the TARDIS or a bottle-city in the splash-page of some villain's trophy room.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rhyno posted:

I have to see this. I didn't see anything just searching his name and Quake, which comics would these be?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

How is this person professionally employed :stare:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

How is this person professionally employed :stare:

If you can meet deadlines in the comics industry you can basically do whatever the gently caress you want.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's uh, a tongue-in-cheek reference, a game with the reader, like when real artists put the TARDIS or a bottle-city in the splash-page of some villain's trophy room.

Games Workshop are known to be very forgiving about minor copyright violations!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The moment I realized Olivetti sucked.

It pains me to see that Punisher sword gun page get posted because of all the people unwittingly praising Olivetti's art.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
There's issues of Cable where the backgrounds are literally photographs of grass or mountains or whatever. Olivetti doesn't even bother to trace over them. It looks like a Robot Chicken sketch or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

The moment I realized Olivetti sucked.

It pains me to see that Punisher sword gun page get posted because of all the people unwittingly praising Olivetti's art.

That page isn't good because of its art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That page isn't good because of its art.

Glad we agree.