Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

StoryTime posted:

Undertale's gameplay is a deconstruction of decades old NES JRPGs mixed with bullet hell, the crack cocaine of video game action. It's not an entry level game. I think even the pope will find it hard to appreciate Undertale without context.

Yeah, I fuckin' love Undertale to pieces but I could tell you it's very much a videogame for videogame people - or at least for people that grew up with internet culture. It's really not something I'd recommend to someone outside those bubbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
I, for one, cannot wait for PopeLP to become the hottest new gaming channel.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

DialTheDude posted:

I, for one, cannot wait for PopeLP to become the hottest new gaming channel.

The facecam would be huge to fit in all that hat.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Slowbeef tried to get his wife (who played a total of like 2 games in her youth) to play Undertale. Guess how that turned out.

(spoilers: she loving hated it)

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's amazing how two sides of an argument can both be equally stupid.
I'm not even arguing anything, but this MatPat guy going "Undertale taught millions of people what pacifism is" was one of the most sheltered or deluded things I'd ever heard.
Heck, his other plan was to give the pope FNAF. I can't even imagine the thought processes that would lead to this.

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 6, 2016

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

HGH posted:

I'm not even arguing anything, but this MatPat guy going "Undertale taught millions of people what pacifism is" was one of the most sheltered or deluded things I'd ever heard.
It's better when you see immediately after that, his reasoning is that it gets a lot more google searches after the game came out. I guess it couldn't possibly be because people are looking it up in regards to Undertale, because that wouldn't make sense. Why would people look up information about pacifist Undertale?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

HenryEx posted:

Slowbeef tried to get his wife (who played a total of like 2 games in her youth) to play Undertale. Guess how that turned out.

She clearly played two REALLY bad games in her youth which have scarred her for life. :v:

HGH posted:

Heck, his other plan was to give the pope FNAF. I can't even imagine the thought processes that would lead to this.

Can FNAF kill old people via heart attack? Find out in the next game theory.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HenryEx posted:

I mean I do have a friend who barely plays video games and his boyfriend who also barely play video games, and they both liked it. The boyfriend even played it with his mom to show her.

None of these people are the pope though, and MatPat is a complete idiot who doesn't understand the first thing about any form of fiction.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Will the pope declare anime as real, or as not real?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'd have given the Pope the newest Fifa, tbf.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Dias posted:

I'd have given the Pope the newest Fifa, tbf.
Out of all possible video games, yeah this actually makes a lot of sense.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

He should've given the pope Assassin's Creed 2 instead.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

He missed a great opportunity to give the pope Xenogears instead.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think the pope needs to identify with the protagonist of the game's he's playing.
Are then any videogames where you play as a pope?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HGH posted:

I think the pope needs to identify with the protagonist of the game's he's playing.
Are then any videogames where you play as a pope?

Crusader Kings 2

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Tales of Symphonia.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Andrast posted:

Crusader Kings 2

Everyone else is wrong, this is the game to give the pope. With several workshop mods, preferably.

(Assassin's Creed 2 is an extremely close second though.)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
No, no, wait: l'Abbaye des Morts.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

StoryTime posted:

Undertale's gameplay is a deconstruction of decades old NES JRPGs mixed with bullet hell, the crack cocaine of video game action. It's not an entry level game. I think even the pope will find it hard to appreciate Undertale without context.

I actually hadn't considered that. Point taken.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

According to some sources, the Pope doesn't have a personal computer anyways, so even of he wanted to waste his time playing something exclusively tailored to an audience that is not him, he wouldn't be able to anyways.

I'm not sure how much of an audience Undertale even has outside of the English speaking world. The Pope's an Argentinian living in Italy in an independent city that I think still has Latin as it's official language.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'd give the pope a mario game because theyre all real good

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Give the Pope Final Fantasy Tactics.

Give the Pope a baseball bat with which he can smash MatPat's stupid face in with, in the name of the Lord.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to The Great Videogame Crusades, coming soon

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I dunno if this is thread-worthy or Sandcastle-worthy or even SA worthy but I made a thing that's not really a Let's Play. I guess I was going for Game Center CX Meets Spinal Tap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp36YCL6-Hg

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I would call that thread worthy. Please make more of these. :)

Edit: Also, I know it had to be scripted but it's way funnier to think that your wife had no idea what you were doing when she yelled at you.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 7, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

She struggles with the controls/movement in a lot of games due to unfamiliarity. She'd have a heck of a time doing the bullet hell bits of Undertale.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

She struggles with the controls/movement in a lot of games due to unfamiliarity. She'd have a heck of a time doing the bullet hell bits of Undertale.

She struggled a lot with the controls in Portal and Catherine, too, and she loved those games. :shrug:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Maybe Undertale just shouldn't be played by non-tru gamers. This means the Pope is just casul trash who is beneath me because he never 100% completed Zelda 3.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

SlothfulCobra posted:

According to some sources, the Pope doesn't have a personal computer anyways, so even of he wanted to waste his time playing something exclusively tailored to an audience that is not him, he wouldn't be able to anyways.

I'm not sure how much of an audience Undertale even has outside of the English speaking world. The Pope's an Argentinian living in Italy in an independent city that I think still has Latin as it's official language.

Is the Pope even allowed to have a computer? I mean i don't know Pope rules so i guess maybe it's allowed and he just doesn't because he doesn't need it/is to busy to sit down and mess around on youtube or whatever anyway.

Normally i'm okay with MatPat, his videos are silly little theories that he usually backs up pretty well (except for the times where he doesn't) but this is just completely ridiculous. Like for real the intro this video is basically saying "if i can get The Pope to say videogames are cool then maybe games can finally be respected hey by the way check out our video on dating sims and which nintendo girl has the biggest tits"

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 7, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is the Pope even allowed to have a computer? I mean i don't know Pope rules so i guess maybe it's allowed and he just doesn't because he doesn't need it/is to busy to sit down and mess around on youtube or whatever anyway.

funny you should ask that

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Normally i'm okay with MatPat, his videos are silly little theories that he usually backs up pretty well (except for the times where he doesn't)

That's the problem really. I used to enjoy Game Theory despite its flaws, but it's devolved into clickbait and really dumb topics so there's nothing to distract you from those flaws anymore.

I guess even he seems to realize his series sucks since it looks like he's cut way back on doing them and doing way more filler content; Out of the last 30 videos in the past two months, only 5 are part of the "Game Theory" series. But hey, looks like Film Theory is still going strong with amazing videos about... um... how many calories the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

That's the problem really. I used to enjoy Game Theory despite its flaws, but it's devolved into clickbait and really dumb topics so there's nothing to distract you from those flaws anymore.

I guess even he seems to realize his series sucks since it looks like he's cut way back on doing them and doing way more filler content; Out of the last 30 videos in the past two months, only 5 are part of the "Game Theory" series. But hey, looks like Film Theory is still going strong with amazing videos about... um... how many calories the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is.

Have you seen Game Lab, his YouTube Red series? I haven't. I got turned off by the premise and uh... yeah.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Have you seen Game Lab, his YouTube Red series? I haven't. I got turned off by the premise and uh... yeah.

I don't have YouTube Red, so no. But is that his "Gamers try copying things they do in video games!" series? Because I think I saw his trial run of that a while back, where he and a few others tried to see if they could handle clearing out a house full of terrorists or something.

The premise isn't necessarily bad (comparing real-life situations against scenarios in video games and showing some interesting and informative stuff going on), but since you have MatPat and MatPat's friends involved, it was not very enjoyable. Better personalities would make things go a long way, and maybe someone who knows how to write a show like that.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Isn't there a Rooster Teeth show that is basically that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Isn't there a Rooster Teeth show that is basically that?

Yeah, they used VR headsets for a lot of stuff. Like they would have you run a Mario-themed obstacle course while looking at yourself from the side, or driving a van in third-person view, or a paintball duel where you saw yourself and your opponent in split-screen.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Undertale has a HUGE following in Japan and South Korea, believe it or not. A lot of my favorite artists over on East Asian art sites like Pixiv have been making a metric ton of fan art and fan projects for a while now. The game has been translated in both Japanese and Korean by I think fans? Like even if the Undertale fire in the West kind of started simmering down, they're still talking about it over there. They absolutely love Undertale in those parts.

Also on an unrelated note, today marks an end of an era.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
BILLYMC IS THIRTY?!!!!!!!!!!?????

(a) I thought he was like 25
(b) Upon seeing his face, I thought he was 40.

Overall: Whoa.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
he looks like buster from arrested development

that makes so much sense

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VoidBurger posted:

BILLYMC IS THIRTY?!!!!!!!!!!?????

(a) I thought he was like 25
(b) Upon seeing his face, I thought he was 40.

Overall: Whoa.

BillyMC, the inverse Araki.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2016/07/warner-bros-settles-ftc-charges-it-failed-adequately-disclose-it
The FTC just fined Warner Bros. for paying Pewdiepie(and others) to positively cover Shadow of Mordor in 2014.
I could have sworn this already happened but that might have been Halo.

• Locked thread