Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I love my VPS but having only 20GB of storage sucks for downloads. Constantly have to copy/delete things from it.

Is there are provider that offers: a) cheap dedicated server, b) > 250gb hd, c) cool with torrents?

edit: brainfart, get a seedbox. duh.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Bob Morales posted:

I love my VPS but having only 20GB of storage sucks for downloads. Constantly have to copy/delete things from it.

Is there are provider that offers: a) cheap dedicated server, b) > 250gb hd, c) cool with torrents?

edit: brainfart, get a seedbox. duh.

Feral Hosting.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

RAID0 :downs:

These guys haven't had any serious disasters in 30 days since rolling it out or use 2-disk setups.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

nem posted:

RAID0 :downs:

These guys haven't had any serious disasters in 30 days since rolling it out or use 2-disk setups.

The only thing they have on the servers is a large amount of illegal warez that's available from any other IP within leaseweb and ovh over bittorrent

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

RAID 0 on SSD is an improvement from mechanical drives, from the underlying storage perspective it is reasonable as there is already error recovery in place, you are only beholden to the controller flaking out which is likely for any other chip in the data path too.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

MrMoo posted:

RAID 0 on SSD is an improvement from mechanical drives, from the underlying storage perspective it is reasonable as there is already error recovery in place, you are only beholden to the controller flaking out which is likely for any other chip in the data path too.

Having no mechanical parts will certainly improve its reliability, but electronics fail. I've had everything on PowerEdge servers, from power supplies to LCD bezels, die over 14 years. Intel recorded its AFR at 0.61% for SSD over 4.85% for mechanical; of course this is 2011 and technology has only improved. Failure, however, remains a going concern. Rolling out machines with 8+ devices in RAID0 greatly amplifies that initial 0.61% risk of 1 unit failing. Whether SMART catches it or not and whether they act on it (or have the parts on site to do so) depends upon their competency. Something tells me at that price point competency isn't their strong suit.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
So I took people's advice here and hosted my goon project on github pages. I have no clue what I'm doing but jekyll + markdown has made things easy enough to google and try to pick up as I go. Code for generating the entire site is here.

I'm at the point where this amateur is running into walls, though. I could use some advice or links on some of the concrete things that I'd like to do.

How do I:
1) Configure the website to support "click to show/open/zoom full size" to all images. Currently, some of the charts are being displayed a bit small. I'd like folks to be able to quickly view the full-size (or zoomed) image. Pop-up images would be ideal, but opening the image itself in an external window at a larger size would be fine.
2) Add comments and formatted share buttons to the default layout I'm using for all the collections (like the "chapters" and "quickhits"). I messed around with share button this morning on the home page, but it was a process of manually generating html and adding it to a single page.
3) Add a static navigation panel to the left of the content in the layout I'm using for all the collections on non-mobile devices.
4) Make the table of context for each of the chapters float in a panel on the right rather than stay at the top of the page when accessed by non-mobile devices.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
hopefully this is a valid thread to post this question;

how would one go about receiving multiple screen/window captures shared from multiple different people at once, that can be live streamed to a website?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Manic X posted:

how would one go about receiving multiple screen/window captures shared from multiple different people at once, that can be live streamed to a website?

You could use ShareX (http://getsharex.com) and have the screen captures posted to a web service using a custom uploader.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Manic X posted:

Is this going to be public or private, and temporary or permanent?

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

blunt posted:

Is this going to be public or private, and temporary or permanent?

So let's say 4 people are screensharing me a window from their computer. My question is first of all how can I get 4 different people screen sharing to me at once, where i can see all of them at once, and then be able to temporarily (while the screen shares are active) stream them to a website. The website can be for public or privite use, it doesn't really matter since I just need to be able to see them.

For example; you see on twitch, some people are able to stream multiple people's perspectives from different places, onto their one stream. It's that sort of idea I am aiming for.

I'll look at this shareX in the meantime. thanks.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Manic X posted:

So let's say 4 people are screensharing me a window from their computer. My question is first of all how can I get 4 different people screen sharing to me at once, where i can see all of them at once, and then be able to temporarily (while the screen shares are active) stream them to a website. The website can be for public or privite use, it doesn't really matter since I just need to be able to see them.

For example; you see on twitch, some people are able to stream multiple people's perspectives from different places, onto their one stream. It's that sort of idea I am aiming for.

I'll look at this shareX in the meantime. thanks.

have them all stream to twitch or hitbox on separate accounts (or any rtmp server - see nginx-rtmp)

ingest all 4 on your own obs install and stream yours

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

thanks, i'll look into the nginx option.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Biowarfare posted:

ingest all 4 on your own obs install and stream yours

This is the best answer.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

eightysixed posted:

This is the best answer.

Initially, I tried having their streams up on their own multi-twitch window and setting a window for each of them in obs; but all that happened was the window captures got confused and kept reverting to streaming the same window.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Need a recommendation for a decent Windows hosting provider. Our company website is built on an ASP.net platform. Our current host is fucken terrible these days (Arvixe) and I need to switch it for better reliability. They're down so much I finally got approval to move our company email to Google Services. Is Interserver hosting any good? Any others you might recommend, it's a fairly medium size website with a medium sized SQL database driving it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

thebushcommander posted:

Need a recommendation for a decent Windows hosting provider. Our company website is built on an ASP.net platform. Our current host is fucken terrible these days (Arvixe) and I need to switch it for better reliability. They're down so much I finally got approval to move our company email to Google Services. Is Interserver hosting any good? Any others you might recommend, it's a fairly medium size website with a medium sized SQL database driving it.
Azure

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm thinking about moving my website to github, since it's static anyway, and not big. This still leaves email. Does someone offer affordable email-hosting only? I checked fastmail, but I'm not paying 40 USD for using my domain. I remember cheap shell accounts like Superfortress (?) in the past, but not sure if that's the only way to go.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=46 - $10/yr, unlimited aliases/emails/domains, 15GB disk quota is your only cap

(my aff cookie is here but I don't really care if you want to use it or not; pretty much get a few cents in account credit)

I've used them for probably close to 2 years at this point.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Biowarfare posted:

https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=46 - $10/yr, unlimited aliases/emails/domains, 15GB disk quota is your only cap

(my aff cookie is here but I don't really care if you want to use it or not; pretty much get a few cents in account credit)

I've used them for probably close to 2 years at this point.

That's a very attractive deal, I'll consider that. But tbh my disk quota requirements are around 1GB, since I backup my inbox/folders periodically.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

mike12345 posted:

I'm thinking about moving my website to github, since it's static anyway, and not big. This still leaves email. Does someone offer affordable email-hosting only? I checked fastmail, but I'm not paying 40 USD for using my domain. I remember cheap shell accounts like Superfortress (?) in the past, but not sure if that's the only way to go.

Google Apps for your Domain

I think I have a grandfathered free account but it's easily worth $5/mo in my opinion.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't care about it being important/handling private data/etc, zoho.com and yandex.ru (https://domain.yandex.com/domains_add/) is free. I occasionally use them for things like throwaway site domains and whatnot that need email service, but my primary personal driver is still google apps

Impotence fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 30, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

fletcher posted:

Google Apps for your Domain

I think I have a grandfathered free account but it's easily worth $5/mo in my opinion.

No, google is not an option.

Biowarfare posted:

If you don't care about it being important/handling private data/etc, zoho.com and yandex.ru (https://domain.yandex.com/domains_add/) is free. I occasionally use them for things like throwaway site domains and whatnot that need email service, but my primary personal driver is still google apps

No I'm not averse to paying, if the service is ok.

e: runbox.com looks interesting, I'll check that out.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 30, 2016

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I've set a few people up on https://www.zoho.com/mail/ . Similar to Google apps and free for the first 25 mailboxes (5gb/mailbox).

blunt fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 30, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'm running into a weird issue.

For reference, I'm using biz.nf's free hosting
I own two domains, the .com and .net (both on GoDaddy - yes, godaddy, I know)
I have the .com set with forwarding and masking using godaddy nameservers
I have the .net with biz.nf's nameservers, because I need it to get the wordpress contact form not to get flagged as spam
I have the .net pointing at the .co.nf

The weird thing:
Firefox and IE bring me to biz.nf's page that says "Get started building your site!"
Chrome redirects properly

The last time I was doing website stuff was in about 1996 with basic HTML and lots of lime/yellow/aqua

Is it something to do with the fact that it says "Domains Allowed to Host : 1, Subdomains 3"?
But then why does it work in Chrome okay?

I'm not too concerned about this, since I imagine once I pay for hosting I can get everything forwarding and masking as it should, and the contact form doing things properly
I don't like not understanding things though

simplefish fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 2, 2016

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Use an actual host if you want anything resembling something working

All the free hosts are basically completely hosed bullshit

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

simplefish posted:

I'm running into a weird issue.

For reference, I'm using biz.nf's free hosting
I own two domains, the .com and .net (both on GoDaddy - yes, godaddy, I know)
I have the .com set with forwarding and masking using godaddy nameservers
I have the .net with biz.nf's nameservers, because I need it to get the wordpress contact form not to get flagged as spam
I have the .net pointing at the .co.nf

The weird thing:
Firefox and IE bring me to biz.nf's page that says "Get started building your site!"
Chrome redirects properly

The last time I was doing website stuff was in about 1996 with basic HTML and lots of lime/yellow/aqua

Is it something to do with the fact that it says "Domains Allowed to Host : 1, Subdomains 3"?
But then why does it work in Chrome okay?

I'm not too concerned about this, since I imagine once I pay for hosting I can get everything forwarding and masking as it should, and the contact form doing things properly
I don't like not understanding things though

The problem you're probably running into is a vhost issue. Vhosts work by reading the host header sent by your browser during an HTTP request and directing traffic based on that header to the right file or directory (or app server, etc.).

code:
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: whatever.com
In your case your host has configured a vhost for whatever.com to point to some path like /home/whatever/www. You use DNS to point whatever.com to your hosts IP and that page is served normally. However, if you point whatever.net to the same IP as whatever.com, the new .net host header won't match the configured vhost so it directs you to the default path, probably somewhere like /var/www that has the "Get started" index.

Unless whatever.net is added as an alias for whatever.com or as it's own vhost it will never work. You can work around this if you use a redirect or just pay for hosting and get proper support that way.

code:
<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
    DocumentRoot "/home/whatever/www"
    ServerName whatever.com
    ServerAlias whatever.net
</VirtualHost>

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ElCondemn posted:

The problem you're probably running into is a vhost issue. Vhosts work by reading the host header sent by your browser during an HTTP request and directing traffic based on that header to the right file or directory (or app server, etc.).

code:
GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: whatever.com
In your case your host has configured a vhost for whatever.com to point to some path like /home/whatever/www. You use DNS to point whatever.com to your hosts IP and that page is served normally. However, if you point whatever.net to the same IP as whatever.com, the new .net host header won't match the configured vhost so it directs you to the default path, probably somewhere like /var/www that has the "Get started" index.

Unless whatever.net is added as an alias for whatever.com or as it's own vhost it will never work. You can work around this if you use a redirect or just pay for hosting and get proper support that way.

code:
<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
    DocumentRoot "/home/whatever/www"
    ServerName whatever.com
    ServerAlias whatever.net
</VirtualHost>

Wow, that's really interesting - thanks!

To be clear, I am going to pay for hosting soon. I just didn't want to pay for months of me arsing around re-learning website basics/wordpress stuff when I can get all that for free. I did the same when I wanted to learn Moodle.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

simplefish posted:

Wow, that's really interesting - thanks!

To be clear, I am going to pay for hosting soon. I just didn't want to pay for months of me arsing around re-learning website basics/wordpress stuff when I can get all that for free. I did the same when I wanted to learn Moodle.

I don't know how either godaddy or your web host work, but I'm guessing you can do an HTTP redirect using godaddy (that forwarding/masking thing you mentioned). It looks like potentially you have a a domain from your host so to make that work you would just forward both your domains to that co.nf domain. You shouldn't have to mess with the nameservers at all for this to work, your domains should be pointing to godaddy. Your wordpress contact form doesn't care what domain it's hosted on, you'll want to configure SPF records and stuff to deal with that aspect, though I wouldn't count on having reliable un-flagged email from a shared host.

If I were in your shoes I'd just sign up for a hosting plan with lithium hosting, DarkLotus on the forums here can help you set everything up so that your site works how you want.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 2, 2016

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Cross posting from the Wordpress thread.

So we have about 20 Wordpress sites that we manage for local businesses. Currently we have them hosted on a few Hostmonster accounts (I know...). Recently we've seen performance decrease drastically with no changes being made by us. We think they've just oversold the servers, when we ask them they just tell us we need to 're-optimize our sites' with no other explanation.

Can any of you recommend a reasonably priced Wordpress host that has some small amount of credibility?

The other thing i've been considering is setting up EC2 instances for each Wordpress site using the Bitnami Wordpress image mentioned in this Amazon guide. Is this a bad idea for any specific reason? https://aws.amazon.com/getting-star...dpress-website/

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

frogbs posted:

Cross posting from the Wordpress thread.

So we have about 20 Wordpress sites that we manage for local businesses. Currently we have them hosted on a few Hostmonster accounts (I know...). Recently we've seen performance decrease drastically with no changes being made by us. We think they've just oversold the servers, when we ask them they just tell us we need to 're-optimize our sites' with no other explanation.

Can any of you recommend a reasonably priced Wordpress host that has some small amount of credibility?

The other thing i've been considering is setting up EC2 instances for each Wordpress site using the Bitnami Wordpress image mentioned in this Amazon guide. Is this a bad idea for any specific reason? https://aws.amazon.com/getting-star...dpress-website/

https://getflywheel.com
?
Or are you wanting to host them yourself?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

jaegerx posted:

https://getflywheel.com
?
Or are you wanting to host them yourself?

I'd love to use them or WpEngine, but my boss said they're too much money :-(

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
crossposting from linux thread just in case:

I'm trying to configure nginx so that direct POST requests to /wp-login.php get blocked and legitimate users login via a url like /adminlogin instead (which redirects to wp-login.php).

First step, redirecting /adminlogin to wp-login.php works fine:
code:
location /adminlogin {  
  index /wp-login.php;
}
Next step, trying to block direct access to wp-login.php.

According to http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html#internal I should be able to specify a location as "internal":

quote:

Specifies that a given location can only be used for internal requests. For external requests, the client error 404 (Not Found) is returned. Internal requests are the following:
requests redirected by the error_page, index, random_index, and try_files directives;

So I added:
code:
location = /wp-login.php {
  internal;
}  
This works - if I go to site.com/wp-login.php then I get a 404.

But I also get a 404 if I try to access it via /adminlogin. Even though /adminlogin uses the "index" directive, which is supposed to count as an internal request. I tried "try_files" instead of "index" and get the same thing.

What am I doing wrong?

To complicate things further, I actually don't want direct requests to wp-login.php to return a 404. Ideally they would redirect to a static file with some kind of message like "your login location has changed. Email me for the url". Is it possible to redirect direct requests to wp-login.php to a static file, but still allow access to wp-login.php via specific url like /adminlogin?

UGAmazing
Jul 26, 2007

I buy used, damaged & broken Apple devices.
I saw the list of Goon-run hosting companies in the OP, and have a question: can someone PLEASE recommend to me the best option for hosting a WordPress website? I just had the absolute worst experience ever with InMotion hosting. I Google'd "best WordPress hosting", and found them, and they had decent reviews. I signed up, and have had ALL SORTS of issues in barely 24 hours. They still can't get my FTP access figured out. FTP ACCESS! My webmail worked for 10 minutes then stopped, due to a security issue on their end. Jesus loving christ.

I need a reliable, hassle-free webhost that offers good optimization for WordPress. I had a WordPress site hosted with JustHost, and it took 8 seconds to load the homepage. Switched over the InMotion and it dropped to ~3, which was good enough for me. The actual hosting has been fine, it's the other issues that have pissed me off to no end. I've wasted 4 hours dealing with their bullshit, and it's taking too long for them to work out.

Things I need:

- Good speed for my WordPress website
- Working webmail (seems simple enough)
- Working FTP access (hope I'm not asking too much)
- Reliable
- Not lovely customer support

If someone could please point me in a good direction, I would be so, so, so thankful. I don't have time to waste getting something so simple to work properly. :(

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

UGAmazing posted:

- Good speed for my WordPress website
- Reliable
- Not lovely customer support

If someone could please point me in a good direction, I would be so, so, so thankful. I don't have time to waste getting something so simple to work properly. :(

Any particular reason you want to gravitate towards a big-box host that reduces your account to ink on a 10-K filing? Those are all very reasonable requests that either DarkLotus (Lithium) or myself pride ourselves on providing for clients.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

UGAmazing posted:

you should probably lay off the snark given you seem to be chasing after features from 2003

Assuming this is about your business website:
- transfer your domain from godaddy to somewhere reputable (Google Domains offer free DNS hosting and email forwarding to gmail)
- host your wordpress on WPEngine which is fully managed (wordpress is a complete nightmare to run safely, especially if you use third party plugins)
- please explain why you think it is acceptable to run an online shop without SSL in 2016

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

nem posted:

Any particular reason you want to gravitate towards a big-box host that reduces your account to ink on a 10-K filing? Those are all very reasonable requests that either DarkLotus (Lithium) or myself pride ourselves on providing for clients.

Agreed! Those companies are big and large and spend 10's of thousands of dollars on advertising but none of that means they provide a good quality service or support.
There's a reason anyone that knows anything will advise you to stay away from any EIG brand and some of the other "Too big to fail" companies.

Apis and Lithium are your best choices for goon run hosting. Otherwise I would agree that you should go to wpengine if you need wordpress hosting since that's kind of all they do.

nictuku
Mar 25, 2016
Hosting industry goons,

I’m creating something that hosting providers could be interested in paying for, but I don’t know how to do market research without being obnoxious. Do you have any tips?

How do I approach hosting providers to discuss my not even launched product? Should I just look up contacts on WHT and send them emails? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Twitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

nictuku posted:

Hosting industry goons,

I’m creating something that hosting providers could be interested in paying for, but I don’t know how to do market research without being obnoxious. Do you have any tips?

How do I approach hosting providers to discuss my not even launched product? Should I just look up contacts on WHT and send them emails? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

You could start with talking to those of us in the business.
I know I'd give you honest feedback.

From there you can go to WHT and see what happens.