Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Helga the Conquerer - WB: +29
- Targ - PC: 4
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 14)
- Battle Boar - PC: 7
- Gun Boar - PC: 9

Dahlia Hallyr - Hallyr & Skarath: 17
- Skarath
Gudrun the Wanderer - PC: 5
Maximus - PC: 4
Swamp Gobber Chef - PC: 1
Viktor Pendrake - PC: 4

Farrow Slaughterhousers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 11

1) Skarath at 16/19 from Defender's Ward feels like cheating. Plus he's getting two sprays a turn with three dice to hit.

2) Feat turn Helga casts Primal on Battle Boar, he forces for berserk and overtake, and the slam bonanza begins.

3) Dash allows chefs to get pretty much anywhere to trigger gang fighter, and might occasionally enable a backstab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

rydiafan posted:

Helga the Conquerer - WB: +29
- Targ - PC: 4
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- War Hog - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 14)
- Battle Boar - PC: 7
- Gun Boar - PC: 9

Dahlia Hallyr - Hallyr & Skarath: 17
- Skarath
Gudrun the Wanderer - PC: 5
Maximus - PC: 4
Viktor Pendrake - PC: 4

1) Skarath at 16/19 from Defender's Ward feels like cheating. Plus he's getting two sprays a turn with three dice to hit.

2) Feat turn Helga casts Primal on Battle Boar, he forces for berserk and overtake, and the slam bonanza begins.

3) Dash allows chefs to get pretty much anywhere to trigger gang fighter, and might occasionally enable a backstab.

This sounds fantastic. I would actually love to play against this. What do you do to protect the Slaughterhousers on the way in?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Crazy Ferret posted:

Blythe and Bull got better, getting Prey (which I'm pretty sure they did not have before but I never used them) and are pretty cheap at 6 for a D3 Beatback, Crit Knockdown gun.

Blythe had Hunstman which I think was a similar but unique to them? It sounds like they have gotten cheaper overall, which was always the sticking point for using them, so that's a help.

quote:

Rutger, and all Jack Marshals, got better by a new host of rules for them. There were a lot of changes so it is better just to point you at the Insider that discussed them. I'm still neutral on Jack Marshals for Mercs (other factions love the changes) as we have some strange interactions with our Warjacks and the new Marshal rules. Its like I cannot find a Marshal and Jack that I want to be together, especially with the Powerup rules. I need to play and tinker some more with them before I say anything else really. Here is the insider for Jack Marshal:

http://privateerpress.com/community/privateer-insider/insider-05-17-2016
Thanks for this! It looks like the changes are pretty good overall, in that it seems like we don't have to roll for every drive anymore which is a huge benefit. Also the base bonuses that a Marshal can give do a lot to cover the ground that I felt the false focus missed (like allowing power attacks). Although compared to the Powerup, yea, it's still a middling thing. Powerup provides a free focus to the battlegroup, right? It seems like it might be worth it on some of those more efficient jacks that don't need a lot of steam. No idea what the matchups would be anymore, but at least they didn't leave our marshals in the cold too much.

quote:

Devil Dogs got a buff and kind of a nerf at the same time. On the plus side, They are now weapon masters against all Constructs, losing trash. Their nets are range 4 but AOE 3 now which is super interesting to me. Same gun. Sam has the same great sword, and Iron Sentinel, and her new drive is Reposition 5 (which is like a 5 inch reform) for the jack. The Nerf is that they still have the same stats (13,13 with 15,12 for Sam) and are more expensive in MK3 points with 12 for min and 18 for the max. Even if you take a Buccaneer, 6 Mk3 points, a full unit is 24 points and that's feels really high to me for a fragile unit. I've not played with them yet, and I'm still hopeful that they will have a place, but I'm not entirely sure that they are worth all those points.

Those changes sound interesting, but making them more expensive hurts. I got use out of them by teaming them with Rupert to give them the benefit of Tough or bonus defense to help them stick around, but adding another solo to make the existing points work is not really a great scheme. They were one of the units that got me into the game though so if I ever come back I'll probably still give them a try anyway.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

If I remember correctly, the Amethyst Rose was destroyed by Khador when they assassinated the King of Llael, blew up their headquarters, and did some other very Khador things.

Khador didn't assassinate Llaels king. Cygnar did.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Yeah, the same spymaster who ran Caine in Blood of Kings had him assassinate Llael's king to throw the country into confusion and basically keep Khador from focusing too much on actual Cygnar territory. I don't much get the logic unless he thought that Llael would stay out of Khador incursion into Cygnar territory. A two-front war seems like it would be harder on Khador than a war and an occupation. Oh well~

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That's just what they want you to think

Menoth's Fury can't melt Necrotite beams

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The war in Thornwood was sold to us on a lie!

Mailbox Roleplay
Jul 16, 2006

The Iron Kingdoms is a fun and neat setting but reading some of the lore and backstory gives you the feeling that the writers have never read a history book.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mailbox Roleplay posted:

The Iron Kingdoms is a fun and neat setting but reading some of the lore and backstory gives you the feeling that the writers have never read a history book.

I hate it when fake history doesn't play out like real history

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Thinking of giving this a try:

Mercenary Army - 75 / 75 points

http://conflictchamber.com/#b61beSbEbxbxbxc5bPbQbQevbUe_9S

(Ossrum 1) General Ossrum [+28]
- Ghordson Driller [10]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker [4]
Horgenhold Forge Guard (max) [16]
Horgenhold Artillery Corps [6]
Dahlia Hallyr [17]
- Skarath
Thor Steinhammer [4]
- Ghordson Avalancher [17]
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor [5]

Snipe goes on the Avalancher, bullet dodger on Skarath, and FFE gets hot swapped between the two artillery units and/or Skarath. I'm not totally sold on Sylys, but on turns where you don't want to swap FFE, the focus he saves gives you the ability to cast any 2 of his 2 focus spells (or maybe just casting energizer + fully loading a driller). If I drop the elf, I'd probably grab hunters mark elf and (maaaaaaaaybe) turn Orin into epic angry elf; free charges and a boosted threat range pairs nicely with the feat, and disrupting knocked down targets is funny. The list has a healthy mix of melee and ranged, and can move surprisingly quickly under the feat and energizer.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Zwiebel posted:

Khador didn't assassinate Llaels king. Cygnar did.

Wait, what? I must have totally zoned out on that detail. Wow.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Yeah, the same spymaster who ran Caine in Blood of Kings had him assassinate Llael's king to throw the country into confusion and basically keep Khador from focusing too much on actual Cygnar territory. I don't much get the logic unless he thought that Llael would stay out of Khador incursion into Cygnar territory. A two-front war seems like it would be harder on Khador than a war and an occupation. Oh well~

Llael had a very small standing army to begin with, and was absolutely steamrolled by Khador. I have zero idea how that could have been a good idea.

In the end, Khador would end up invading Cygnar and starting the Thornwood War. No idea how killing the King of Llael was a "good idea" for Cygnar. Since, you know, they're allies.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Well, there is a precedent of overwhelming armies invading weaker countries and getting a surrender in short order, only for the situation to turn into a living nightmare when insurgents blending in the population start roaming at night and slaughtering the occupying forces. See also: Russia during Napoléon, France and other countries under the Nazis, Afghanistan and Irak right now.
Of course it's rather callous to sacrifice allies, but that's a cygnaran tradition by that point.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Iceclaw posted:

Well, there is a precedent of overwhelming armies invading weaker countries and getting a surrender in short order, only for the situation to turn into a living nightmare when insurgents blending in the population start roaming at night and slaughtering the occupying forces. See also: Russia during Napoléon, France and other countries under the Nazis, Afghanistan and Irak right now.
Of course it's rather callous to sacrifice allies, but that's a cygnaran tradition by that point.

And the Cygnar spymaster is pretty much a complete dick.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Trashcan posted:

Thinking of giving this a try:

Mercenary Army - 75 / 75 points

http://conflictchamber.com/#b61beSbEbxbxbxc5bPbQbQevbUe_9S

(Ossrum 1) General Ossrum [+28]
- Ghordson Driller [10]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker [4]
Horgenhold Forge Guard (max) [16]
Dahlia Hallyr [17]
- Skarath
Thor Steinhammer [4]
- Ghordson Avalancher [17]
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor [5]

Snipe goes on the Avalancher, bullet dodger on Skarath, and FFE gets hot swapped between the two artillery units and/or Skarath. I'm not totally sold on Sylys, but on turns where you don't want to swap FFE, the focus he saves gives you the ability to cast any 2 of his 2 focus spells (or maybe just casting energizer + fully loading a driller). If I drop the elf, I'd probably grab hunters mark elf and (maaaaaaaaybe) turn Orin into epic angry elf; free charges and a boosted threat range pairs nicely with the feat, and disrupting knocked down targets is funny. The list has a healthy mix of melee and ranged, and can move surprisingly quickly under the feat and energizer.

I like this but I still think you want to take Rhupert for the Forge Guard. Tough, Concealment, and Pathfinder (on non feat turns) will help them stay alive as they move slowly up the field. Maybe drop a Gunner for him and a Gobber Tinker. The tinker is for your Driller as once it goes down, you lack a jack to deal with other heavy hitters, though the Guard and Shooting will help, but it will be nice to give your lone heavy a dedicated repair bro.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I think the logic in way of caine was that the Llaelese monarchy wasn't 100% happy with Leto being king and was supporting nobles plotting against him with mercs, etc...

Spymaster McDickhead decided that meant he should go order him killed on the king's behalf. He's kindof a dickhead.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Wait, what? I must have totally zoned out on that detail. Wow.

It's in Way of Caine.
Llaels king wasn't fond of Leto and was funding revolutionary elements in Cygnars interior while maintaining plausible deniability. Caine ended up investigating this (he does the James Bond thing and some of these are the events that led to his demotion) on Rebaldts orders and after uncovering the entire plot ended up poisoning the Llaelese king. Llael and Cygnar weren't really as tight as Cygnar sometimes claims.
Khador seizing the opportunity and starting a war over a weakened Llael that had a crisis of succession is something Rebaldt considered collateral damage, but very much expected.

As others have mentioned, Rebaldt is a huge dick.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Also if lael assumes khador killed their king it would further embolden their resistance. Still a dick move.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

Felime posted:

I think the logic in way of caine was that the Llaelese monarchy wasn't 100% happy with Leto being king and was supporting nobles plotting against him with mercs, etc...

Spymaster McDickhead decided that meant he should go order him killed on the king's behalf. He's kindof a dickhead.

I also imagine Rebald (I think that was his name) really sucked at his job.

I say sucked because he wanted to kill Julius and Caine wasn't going to shoot a teen in the face. You think Julius is going to let spyblunder keep his job after finding out that bit of info?

Edit - spoiler tag

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Back when I said I impulse purchased the IF Kovnik, I forgot to mention the Assault Commandos and Strekhov. I'm perusing his cards along with what I own and sweet Morrow the possibilities. :smithicide:
I'll have fun when I'll be all painted out.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Llael's king died something like ten years before the Khador invasion, anyway. Llael was always pretty hosed trying to face Khador, but one of the key reasons it rolled over so badly was that the Prime Minister who was ruling while the matter of succession was resolved basically cut a deal and hamstrung their forces completely. Maybe Rebaldt expected that Khador would invade, but didn't anticipate the Llaelese turncoats and was basically expecting that Cygnar would have time to reinforce them and fight the war in someone else's country instead of in their own lands. :shrug:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I dunno but the fluff is still rad

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

I dunno but the fluff is still rad

Unless it's Haley-related.

Then it's awful.

I'm avoiding Wrath of the Dragonfather because it has Haley and Constance doing a team up. Mostly, I just read about the characters I like, the stuff that interests me, or what is considered crazy good book.

Wrath of the Dragonfather seems interesting though because I really like the dragons of the fluff. Especially Chimera, because he's dope.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I dunno man the only Haley fluff I thought was dumb was when she healed her awesome robot arm and got cured of that poison, that was awful. Her old fluff with how she murdered the poo poo out of her sister was rad as hell. Like she's routinely way in over her head and it's great. Time wizards are rad and I wish Cygnar had more of them than just Haley.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

S.J. posted:

I dunno man the only Haley fluff I thought was dumb was when she healed her awesome robot arm and got cured of that poison, that was awful. Her old fluff with how she murdered the poo poo out of her sister was rad as hell. Like she's routinely way in over her head and it's great. Time wizards are rad and I wish Cygnar had more of them than just Haley.

The problem with her in Wrath of the Dragonfather is that she is basically the definition of a Mary Sue in that novel. She gets any ability she needs to get through any situation she finds herself in just when she needs it.

I like the novel despite her presence in it though.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

Another dumb moment was when Haley was moping on a cliff side with her new robotic arm and complaining that her once perfect body was now ruined.

I think that was in Apotheosis. It's right before she sneaks into the Cryxian isles, and gets into a hilarious fight with Skarre, with the fight heavily favoring Haley.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Another dumb moment was when Haley was moping on a cliff side with her new robotic arm and complaining that her once perfect body was now ruined.

I think that was in Apotheosis. It's right before she sneaks into the Cryxian isles, and gets into a hilarious fight with Skarre, with the fight heavily favoring Haley.

She loses that fight, of course, which is awesome and hilarious

Khisanth Magus posted:

The problem with her in Wrath of the Dragonfather is that she is basically the definition of a Mary Sue in that novel. She gets any ability she needs to get through any situation she finds herself in just when she needs it.

I like the novel despite her presence in it though.

I'll be a little pedantic here and say that's not what a Mary Sue is.

I love that both her fluff and her rules leave people going 'But why can she do that?' and the answer to both is 'Because I'm a time wizard deal with it :smug:'

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

S.J. posted:

I hate it when fake history doesn't play out like real history

Having some knowledge of real history helps make your fake history better for the same reason that knowing real people is pretty helpful for writing fake people

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Having some knowledge of real history helps make your fake history better for the same reason that knowing real people is pretty helpful for writing fake people

That's definitely true, though I wonder if some of the problems in the background are the kinds of things that only people who are really into history would understand? I'm not gonna pretend to know as much about the IK fluff as I'd like to. I mean this is a world that decided to make semi-conscious robots with arms and legs instead of like, tank treads, despite having steam powered boats and poo poo

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

S.J. posted:

I love that both her fluff and her rules leave people going 'But why can she do that?' and the answer to both is 'Because I'm a time wizard deal with it :smug:'

Ossyan vs Haley - Which time wizard is best wizard?

Now I'm sad because there's barely any Ossyan fluff out there, and he's very cool and good. :(

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Pre priming!

I'm debating to call the Juggernaut "YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GEARS" or "Where is your dragondad now? :smug:"

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ossyan vs Haley - Which time wizard is best wizard?

Now I'm sad because there's barely any Ossyan fluff out there, and he's very cool and good. :(

They took deadeye away from Haley 2 and gave it to Ossyan so gently caress Ossyan

I'll just go play all the other Haleys! And also Haley 2 still.

Iceclaw posted:

Pre priming!

I'm debating to call the Juggernaut "YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GEARS" or "Where is your dragondad now? :smug:"

This is rad as hell and I approve wholeheartedly

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Iceclaw posted:

Pre priming!

Khador battle buddies! Digging that base, I just made a couple cork boulders

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Iceclaw posted:

Pre priming!

Hah, nice use of now-obsolete wreckmarkers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

S.J. posted:

Oh, gotcha. Yeah I definitely don't have access to Mk.1 Prime. I do have the IKRPG though, but it's been a little while since I've read through the fluff.

I managed to find the MK1 books via :filez: about 6 months ago, I have then on a thumb drive somewhere.

Interestingly enough, the painting guides involved Vallejo and GW paint for the warmachine book. By the time hordes came about the P3 line existed, and they haven't changed since.

Actually the only full book I failed to find was Convergence, and it was just the model stats :negative:

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I'm beginning to think Shield Guard is pretty much a requirement in this edition cause every. single. one. of. my losses have involved spiked dice on range attacks. Yeah I'm mad, no I won't calm down.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Iceclaw posted:

Pre priming!

My Kozlov is standing on a Menoth 'jack's head. :3: I'd post a picture but he's tucked away in my box and it's a pain.

Having little metal men step on things is the best

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

fnordcircle posted:

I'm beginning to think Shield Guard is pretty much a requirement in this edition cause every. single. one. of. my losses have involved spiked dice on range attacks. Yeah I'm mad, no I won't calm down.

Or just play Karchev????

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

gannyGrabber posted:

Or just play Karchev????

no u!

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I'm really bad @Mk3 so far, is what I'm saying. I'm used to being able to crutch on high def Khador casters (iron flesh lolz) or camping and I have yet to have someone take out more points of mine than I am of theirs but here I am with a lovely K/D record, so lovely I'm afraid to post it cause my standing in this thread is important to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

fnordcircle posted:

I'm really bad @Mk3 so far, is what I'm saying. I'm used to being able to crutch on high def Khador casters (iron flesh lolz) or camping and I have yet to have someone take out more points of mine than I am of theirs but here I am with a lovely K/D record, so lovely I'm afraid to post it cause my standing in this thread is important to me.

Well what lovely lists are you playing so we can help your crap rear end out and make you a better player to stop your kvetching?