Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

Really now, the choice here is "let machines kill people in order to attempt to figure out a way not to kill them" versus "let human drivers kill way more people because we're too chicken to trust new technology".

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Powershift posted:

Volvos and hyundais have very similar systems, but you don't see people making videos of them loving around with those systems set, because they're billed as driver assists, not the first step towards driver replacement. It still seems like a failure of marketing rather than a failure of technology.

Well that's no surprise, you can't expect Volvo and Hyundai owners be interested enough of their cars to make videos about them. Has to be an S-class Merc at the minimum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hBzMbVcOcE

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

atomicthumbs posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just wanted to pop in here and take a break from work to tell you that your posts are lovely and annoying. Have a good day!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Just wanted to pop in here and take a break from work to tell you that your posts are lovely and annoying. Have a good day!

Sounds like they're effective enough to reduce your productivity, though.

Edit: tesla should license this guy from J. K. Rowling for commercials to talk up the benefits of autopilot

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 5, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Am visiting Molde, where Tesla has a popup store. Wanted to try the latest version, also wanted my electro-skeptic dad to try it. A seed is sown, I think it'll germinate for a couple of years but he's certainly more positive now than he was before.

Very jaunty angle because I couldn't quite see my phone screen in the glare.

The facelift looked a lot better in person than on pics. We test drove a 90D with autopilot. Having nay sayed it for a few posts now, I have to say it steered very smoothly and I would be happy to use it, as I did, on roads without hard barriers between the directions (what do you call these?) so long as the markings and visibility were good and the roads weren't too twisty - because I would of course pay proper attention.

The frunk is even smaller now due to the HEPA filter taking up space in addition to the front motor. You really lose a huge amount of space compared to the 2WD (click to see), so that is certainly something to consider if you need loads of space. I wonder what a brand new 2WD with HEPA filter looks like.

(fake edit, no more big frunks apparently https://speakev.com/threads/facelift-bringing-small-frunk-to-non-d-model-s.17540/)

Tire noise seems to be down compared to the P85D I tried, people say the facelift models are a lot more quiet than the 1st gen cars, partly due to less sound deadening material, partly due to a smaller resonance chamber in the front. Very nice magic carpet sensation. The HEPA filter is a bit silly, but one particular scenario it would be good for is a tunnel fire, of which there has been a few in Norway the past couple of years. Engage biohazard mode, use side sensors to keep driving straight.

All in all, my Elon-boner remains strong and true.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

atomicthumbs posted:

how exactly are you comparing "new kinds of vehicle" with "vehicle that drives itself under trucks"

I'm comparing bad driving AI to dangerous implementation (manual starter cranks that could break your arm) and lack of education for using new tech (cars having to share the road with everyone else). There were lots of shortcomings and oversights that got people killed. There's always some risk to adopting new technology.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Ola posted:

We test drove a 90D with autopilot. Having nay sayed it for a few posts now, I have to say it steered very smoothly and I would be happy to use it, as I did, on roads without hard barriers between the directions (what do you call these?) so long as the markings and visibility were good and the roads weren't too twisty - because I would of course pay proper attention.

I am very glad you escaped unharmed

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Looks like another AP Tesla crashed (trimmed it down a bit for brevity)

quote:

A Southfield art gallery owner told police his 2016 Tesla Model X was in Autopilot mode when it crashed and rolled over on the Pennsylvania Turnpike last week. The crash came just one day after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued a report on a fatal crash in May involving a Tesla that was in self-driving mode.

The Free Press was not able to reach Scaglione, owner of Park West Gallery, or Yanke, but Dale Vukovich of the Pennslvania State Police, who responded to the crash, said Scaglione told him that he had activated the Autopilot feature.

In his crash report Vukovich stated that Scaglione's car was traveling east, near mile marker 160, about 5 p.m. when it hit a guard rail "off the right side of the roadway. It than crossed over the eastbound lanes and hit the concrete median."

After that the Tesla Model X rolled onto its roof and came to rest in the middle east bound lane. A 2013 Infiniti G37 driven in the westbound lane by Thomas Hess of West Chester, Pa., was struck by debris from the Scaglione car, but neither he nor his passenger were hurt.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2016/07/05/southfield-art-gallery-owner-survives-tesla-crash/86712884/

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

That's an impressive amount of poo poo for the Model X to hit for the driver and passenger to escape alive and apparently well.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
An X is higher than an S, but getting one to flip is still impressive. Ready for the rest of the story to hit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ilkhan posted:

An X is higher than an S, but getting one to flip is still impressive. Ready for the rest of the story to hit.

Please, I know a guy who rolled a HMMWV at "35" mph.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If nothing else, that's grounds to push through on the divorce:
http://electrek.co/2016/04/20/elon-musks-wife-talulah-riley-tesla-autopilot-video/

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You know even auto pilot on planes still requires a pilot to be at the stick. It is meant to supplement driving not replace it. For that you need a chauffeur. Plebes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has the Model S Pikes Peak run been posted here yet? It's decently quick but has to be the most boring video of its kind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5t4DNvbNqs

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Elephanthead posted:

You know even auto pilot on planes still requires a pilot to be at the stick. It is meant to supplement driving not replace it. For that you need a chauffeur. Plebes.
Most of us in this thread know this. I'd assume it's well known among people who deal with aircraft and probably large ships. As far as the average Joes (well at this point richer-than-average Joes) who make up the majority of those buying and driving these things, I'm pretty sure their understanding of autopilot operation doesn't go much beyond this:

The term is absolutely being used correctly, but it's being understood very poorly by the general public.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Does Tesla Autopilot do stuff beyond fancy lane assist? Like does it actually try to navigate surface streets and stuff?

Like it really seems like it's only safe/worthwhile to use cruising in the fast/HOV lane, especially during rush hour, but does it attempt to do more than that?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

mobby_6kl posted:

Has the Model S Pikes Peak run been posted here yet? It's decently quick but has to be the most boring video of its kind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5t4DNvbNqs

If you want more Pikes Peak EV action I have a few posts from this year's hill climb:

Feature on Monster Tajima's race: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/06/racing-with-royalty-behind-the-scenes-with-pikes-peaks-king-of-the-mountain/

EVs on race day: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/06/electric-vehicles-at-the-pikes-peak-international-hill-climb-race-report/

Electric bikes on race day: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/06/even-more-dangerous-on-two-wheels-pikes-peak-and-the-motorbikes/

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3gJ95f-8es

I think this is the video of the fastest EV run this year.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Boten Anna posted:

Does Tesla Autopilot do stuff beyond fancy lane assist? Like does it actually try to navigate surface streets and stuff?

Like it really seems like it's only safe/worthwhile to use cruising in the fast/HOV lane, especially during rush hour, but does it attempt to do more than that?
No. Its really only useful when cruising highways right now.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Autopilot is beyond useful for the HOV lane and general stop and go traffic on the freeway/tollway. The 8.0 update is promised to add capabilities allowing the car to exit the highway as well.

Not super advanced just yet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

Autopilot is beyond useful for the HOV lane and general stop and go traffic on the freeway/tollway. The 8.0 update is promised to add capabilities allowing the car to exit the highway as well.

Not super advanced just yet.

One could argue it's already quite capable of leaving the highway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola posted:

Having nay sayed it for a few posts now, I have to say it steered very smoothly and I would be happy to use it, as I did, on roads without hard barriers between the directions (what do you call these?) so long as the markings and visibility were good and the roads weren't too twisty - because I would of course pay proper attention.

“Single carriageways” (British English) or “undivided highways” (American English).

In my view, that’s the perfect place for autopilot. There’s always the possibility that an oncoming driver will pull onto my side of the road with no warning. Now, my reaction time is good, but it can’t beat a computer’s. I’ll drive like I normally would, but in most situations, by the time my foot has started moving, autopilot‐actuated breaking will be well underway. For the rare white truck crossing the roadway, reaction time will degrade to my own.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Depending on the situation, because of your ability to visually scan father off the road than sensors, and make inferences based on experience, your reaction time is potentially much faster than any autopilot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Auto pilot was NOT on in the PA rollover incident.

http://jalopnik.com/musk-autopilot-was-off-in-pa-tesla-model-x-crash-acco-1783695454

I wondered how long it would take someone to scapegoat the car when they were just being dumb.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

Auto pilot was NOT on in the PA rollover incident.

http://jalopnik.com/musk-autopilot-was-off-in-pa-tesla-model-x-crash-acco-1783695454

I wondered how long it would take someone to scapegoat the car when they were just being dumb.

The statement from Tesla is pretty damning:

quote:

We got access to the logs. Data from the vehicle shows that Autosteer was not engaged at the time of this collision. Prior to the collision, Autosteer was in use periodically throughout the approximately 50-minute trip. The most recent such use ended when, approximately 40 seconds prior to the collision, the vehicle did not detect the driver’s hands on the wheel and began a rapidly escalating set of visual and audible alerts to ensure the driver took proper control. When the driver failed to respond to 15 seconds of visual warnings and audible tones, Autosteer began a graceful abort procedure in which the music is muted, the vehicle begins to slow and the driver is instructed both visually and audibly to place their hands on the wheel. Approximately 11 seconds prior to the collision, the driver responded and regained control by holding the steering wheel, applying leftward torque to turn it, and pressing the accelerator pedal to 42%. Over 10 seconds and approximately 300m later and while under manual steering control, the driver drifted out of the lane, collided with a barrier, overcorrected, crossed both lanes of the highway, struck a median barrier, and rolled the vehicle.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Sounds like the driver fell asleep, the "hey idiot, wake up" alerts basically worked as well as my alarm clock and he effectively hit the "Snooze" button and went back to sleep, only having officially taken over control as far as the car's concerned. At that point it was like any other vehicle with a sleeping driver.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Yeah, maybe the autopilot should make sure when the driver takes over, they're not doing something dangerous/stupid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

duz posted:

Yeah, maybe the autopilot should make sure when the driver takes over, they're not doing something dangerous/stupid.

Autopilot can't assume anything when you take manual control. The drift out of lane may have been the driver reacting to an obstacle in the road as far as autopilot knows. Or it may have been construction with no lane markers. There's any number of situations where a driver's reactions after taken taking manual control may seem like a mistake to autopilot, but they are necessary control inputs. It can't tell the difference between an evasive maneuver and just falling asleep.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bull3964 posted:

Autopilot can't assume anything when you take manual control. The drift out of lane may have been the driver reacting to an obstacle in the road as far as autopilot knows. Or it may have been construction with no lane markers. There's any number of situations where a driver's reactions after taken taking manual control may seem like a mistake to autopilot, but they are necessary control inputs. It can't tell the difference between an evasive maneuver and just falling asleep.

No, but it can say “golly gee my driver looks to be asleep let’s come to a gradual stop on the shoulder”.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Platystemon posted:

No, but it can say “golly gee my driver looks to be asleep let’s come to a gradual stop on the shoulder”.

I dunno the driver could also try not falling asleep in his car either.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Maybe cars with sleep mode shouldn't be allowed on the roads

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

duz posted:

Good luck coding that.

Platystemon posted:

This is pretty much what "graceful abort" does. It blinks and chimes, flashes the hazard lights and comes to a gradual stop.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Platystemon posted:

It started that process, but the driver took back control.

Once the driver takes back control, it's a really bad idea to override him with autosteer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Once the driver takes back control, it's a really bad idea to override him with autosteer.

GUYS GUYS I know just code something that assesses if the driver's decisions are sound and then make other decisions if they are not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

duz posted:

Yeah because what you want is to fight the goddamned computer any time it doesn't know what you're trying to do. Or, you could try not to fall asleep while driving and kill yourself.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

maybe make it so that it gives the driver less than three minutes to fall asleep before telling them they need to touch the steering wheel

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

nah having to pay attention to your car more than once every three minutes is an unneccessary inconvenience, blame here lies 100% on the driver

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

maybe make it so that it gives the driver less than three minutes to fall asleep before telling them they need to touch the steering wheel

Three minutes to fall asleep? It's not like he got read a story and tucked in. Falling asleep happens in a literal blink of an eye and that's why so many people crash their cars while falling asleep, even if the cars don't have autopilot. That said, there are systems in other cars that are supposed to detect a driver falling asleep, no idea how well they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Autopilot encourages driver inattentiveness and should be banned from public roads.

• Locked thread