Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Fuckface: Forever

Victory! I've finally got an arrangement of carabiners and zipties that held him in. He wasn't pleased from the shredding of the bed/pad I got for him, but no major property damage and no piss/poo poo anywhere. Now if only I could get the beagle out of this separation anxiety phase...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So found out that my dog is really terrified of ceiling fans when on or not. So that's weird

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Warbird posted:

Fuckface: Forever

Victory! I've finally got an arrangement of carabiners and zipties that held him in. He wasn't pleased from the shredding of the bed/pad I got for him, but no major property damage and no piss/poo poo anywhere. Now if only I could get the beagle out of this separation anxiety phase...

I am so grateful I never had to deal with this with my dog. She goes and sits on the couch and waits patiently every time, though I guess she's not usually supposed to be on the couch.

I am glad you have finally caged the demon husky.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dog was outside barking, I assumed at the neighbors. I went out to yell at her and nope, possum on the fence. I shot that fucker in the face with the garden hose.

Here she is terrified of the Kitchenaid.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Can dogs have bald spots?

The vet said it was nothing to worry about but I wasn't satisfied with the explanation. He never chews at it. It doesn't bother him if you touch it. But it's still a noticeable spot on his tail.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I have two Yorkie pups, a brother and a sister, that have just hit 9 months old. The male has not been fixed yet because of his small size (4lbs). We are trying to put some more weight on him first. The female was fixed 6 weeks ago and is 5.5 lbs. Over the past 3 weeks the female has become increasingly aggressive towards her brother and the other dog in the house, a 12 year old Maltese female.

All the instances of aggression seem to revolve around jealousy or resource guarding. When I'm petting the male the female gets very growley and lunges. When I am supervising them during Rawhide treat time, the female will attack the male. These are not the fun little puppy wrestling fights that they used to have; these are very dangerously aggressive brawls that I am having too forcefully separate and restrain the female to get her to calm down.

This morning we were laying in bed as I was reading the news on my phone, female at my head and male at my feet, which is the reverse of the usual. Out of nowhere the female lunged that the male and I had to separate them again. These fights are becoming much more frequent. We've had 5 this weekend...so far.

Is this kind of aggression a possible side effect of getting the female fixed? Is it something that will pass or do I have to start to be concerned for the male dog's well-being because he is so much smaller than his sister?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I doubt it. It might have started as a response to pain or discomfort after the surgery, but now it's less about the surgery and now it's about a pattern of problem behaviour, and it's escalating.

I would consult a behaviourist ASAP. In the interim, I would be keeping the female separate from the other dogs to stop her trying to start fights with the other dogs. Crates, gates or pens will be your friend for the next little while.

The behaviourist will show you how to reintroduce the dogs slowly, carefully, with systematic desensitization and with an eye to addressing the resource guarding.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

TBeats posted:

Can dogs have bald spots?

The vet said it was nothing to worry about but I wasn't satisfied with the explanation. He never chews at it. It doesn't bother him if you touch it. But it's still a noticeable spot on his tail.

Are you your dog's original owner? If not my bet is it's a scar from an old injury where the hair never grew back. My dog has a similar sized bald spot on his side. Only time it causes issues is in the winter when the exposed skin gets dried out and itchy.

If it's a new thing I'd just keep an eye out for any changes. If it's not bothering the dog no use messing with it.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
I just adopted a 2nd rescue dog to go along with my 5 year old Border Collie/Lab mix Gypsy. I have had her about a week. She came from this fantastic rescue place I found in Berkely Heights, NJ called Home for Good Dogs. I've named her Ginger. She is about 4 months old. I am told she is a Jack Russell/Unknown Terrier mix, but I have no idea if that is true or not. She is learning fast, cutting down on accidents in the house, and knows "sit", "lay" and "come". I am still trying to get her to be calmer while in the crate at night. When she is all alone in the crate she cries and whines a lot. If she hears movement after stopping it starts all over again. She is getting along well with Gypsy and my 2 cats. But enough blather. Initiate cute puppy pics:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

That's a good dogge

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

7:00 PM - returned from dinner. Dog is very excited. Runs around the house.
7:30 PM - take dog on 1.5 mile walk, including some training games at the neighborhood park.
8:05 PM - get home. Dog brings tennis ball. Commence catch/fetch in the living room.
10:30 PM - Dog takes a break from fetch to dig at her bed and drag it around the room.
10:45 PM - fetch resumes.
11:15 PM - dog takes a break to pull the fuzz off of the tennis ball.
11:40 PM - fetch resumes.
12:00 AM - take dog out final time of the night. Dog does sprints around the back yard.
12:05 AM - dog runs back in the house and upstairs to her crate. Runs in and out of the crate waiting for me to walk over with her treat for the night. Dog is closed in create.
12:20 AM - dog is digging and whining in the crate. At worst makes a disappointed groan before becoming silent. Hopefully.

I have no idea what she's on today. She wasn't locked up at all. She had a bath today and didn't nap much, not while I was home at least.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Are you your dog's original owner? If not my bet is it's a scar from an old injury where the hair never grew back. My dog has a similar sized bald spot on his side. Only time it causes issues is in the winter when the exposed skin gets dried out and itchy.

If it's a new thing I'd just keep an eye out for any changes. If it's not bothering the dog no use messing with it.

I got him at 5 weeks from an owner who couldn't even feed him dog food that wasn't expired, and the previous owner took him away from his mother super early as a play thing for her own baby. He was also fairly skiddish when I got him (which, thankfully, is not the case anymore -- he will try to climb into your coat pocket if you let his 70lb rear end do so).

So yeah, I can easily picture some type of trauma happening to his tail given what I know about his short life before I got him. Thanks for the tip!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Two facts have come to light as of late.

1. The beagle is not a fan of fireworks.
2. The beagle can jump like a motherfuker.

She drat near cleared the fence of the dog park when the nearby 4th celebration kicked off. It's not abject terror thankfully, just an extremely strong sense of "I want to be anywhere but here".

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

a life less posted:

I doubt it. It might have started as a response to pain or discomfort after the surgery, but now it's less about the surgery and now it's about a pattern of problem behaviour, and it's escalating.

I would consult a behaviourist ASAP. In the interim, I would be keeping the female separate from the other dogs to stop her trying to start fights with the other dogs. Crates, gates or pens will be your friend for the next little while.

The behaviourist will show you how to reintroduce the dogs slowly, carefully, with systematic desensitization and with an eye to addressing the resource guarding.

Increased DA, guarding behavior, and reactivity are fairly well documented and studied behavioral effects of spaying females prior to the age of 12 months. It could be a pain response but those behaviors are linked to pediatric spays.
See :
https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/can_spaying_make_dog_behavior_worse/
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1990.tb00701.x/abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9227747
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16772140

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 5, 2016

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Ausrotten posted:

Increased DA, guarding behavior, and reactivity are fairly well documented and studied behavioral effects of spaying females prior to the age of 12 months. It could be a pain response but those behaviors are linked to pediatric spays.
See :
https://drsophiayin.com/blog/entry/can_spaying_make_dog_behavior_worse/
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1748-5827.1990.tb00701.x/abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9227747
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16772140

You're right. Though I don't think that increased aggression in a 6-month old dog is related to hormones, or lack thereof, as the dog would be "prepubescent" whether it had had the surgery or not. BUT IANAV.

Edit: Err, 9 months. Maybe more sexually mature? I dunno. Dogs, man.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
New pup will be arriving this Saturday.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It appears fuckface has full blown separation anxiety which has either gotten worse or was learned from the beagle. He's done and impressive amount of work on his cage; the entire thing is concave and the bars are all bent to hell. He's also raising a racket as well. Hooray. The cage is still holding, but he refuses to chill out or sleep. I can't just close him up in the bathroom as he overheats. It may be time for daycare or something.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Warbird posted:

It appears fuckface has full blown separation anxiety which has either gotten worse or was learned from the beagle. He's done and impressive amount of work on his cage; the entire thing is concave and the bars are all bent to hell. He's also raising a racket as well. Hooray. The cage is still holding, but he refuses to chill out or sleep. I can't just close him up in the bathroom as he overheats. It may be time for daycare or something.
After hearing about this husky and working at a Dog Daycare for 9 months, I now understand why people take their dogs to daycare. There was a husky at the daycare who opened his crate somehow and they can be pretty clever but your husky sounds insane. No offense. Just to forewarn you some owners say that their dogs, still have energy at the end of the day when the dog is there from 7 AM to 7 PM. Hopefully it's not that case for this dog.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

How much exercise does the dog get now? Huskies are notorious for having endless energy and becoming horrible destructo-dogs without an outlet for that energy. A 1.5 mile walk and some fetch does not cut it for a dog with that level of energy. Daycare sounds like a really good idea at this point.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh it's certainly not enough, I'll be the first to admit. I'll take him and the beagle to the local dog park to pee and run for about 15-20 minutes before work, again for about 30 at lunch, up to two hours again with plenty of other dogs around 5 and usually again for about 30 minutes or so an hour or two later. If I'm home he's content to chill endlessly, but leaving causes all hell to break loose. I've got 30+ zipties and about 8 carabiners on his crate so he can't get out, but it's all bent to poo poo and apparently he's raising a racket while I'm gone as per one of my neighbors/coworkers.

I should get my groggy rear end up in the morning and go run a couple of laps around a nearby track before work. Anything more than I'm already doing is not an option due to work and the fact it's 100+ daily around here this time of year (no time for a shower). I'll ask around about daycare, but I really need the Mrs. to get down here to keep an eye on him while I'm out. However life's weird and that's not really an option for now. I really shouldn't have this dog and shouldn't have accepted him. If I wasn't doing a 9-5 or didn't live in an apartment it would be better, but both ain't great.

Side note, Fuckface is a magnet for ticks and the beagle has yet to have a single one. I assume this is due to the length/thickness of their coats? I need to do something about it soon, I've got a couple off of him and found one crawling in my hairline when I got up this morning. If you need an extremely organic way of waking up in the morning I highly recommend it. I've tossed on one of those topical tick/flea b' gone medicines on him, but I'll likely run by the vet and get a pill (on the owner's dime).

Warbird fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 6, 2016

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Darth Walrus posted:

New pup will be arriving this Saturday.

:love: :swoon: What breed is it?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Warbird posted:

Oh it's certainly not enough, I'll be the first to admit. I'll take him and the beagle to the local dog park to pee and run for about 15-20 minutes before work, again for about 30 at lunch, up to two hours again with plenty of other dogs around 5 and usually again for about 30 minutes or so an hour or two later. If I'm home he's content to chill endlessly, but leaving causes all hell to break loose. I've got 30+ zipties and about 8 carabiners on his crate so he can't get out, but it's all bent to poo poo and apparently he's raising a racket while I'm gone as per one of my neighbors/coworkers.

I should get my groggy rear end up in the morning and go run a couple of laps around a nearby track before work. Anything more than I'm already doing is not an option due to work and the fact it's 100+ daily around here this time of year (no time for a shower). I'll ask around about daycare, but I really need the Mrs. to get down here to keep an eye on him while I'm out. However life's weird and that's not really an option for now. I really shouldn't have this dog and shouldn't have accepted him. If I wasn't doing a 9-5 or didn't live in an apartment it would be better, but both ain't great.

Side note, Fuckface is a magnet for ticks and the beagle has yet to have a single one. I assume this is due to the length/thickness of their coats? I need to do something about it soon, I've got a couple off of him and found one crawling in my hairline when I got up this morning. If you need an extremely organic way of waking up in the morning I highly recommend it. I've tossed on one of those topical tick/flea b' gone medicines on him, but I'll likely run by the vet and get a pill (on the owner's dime).

There's a flea/tick shot you can get from the vet that works very well I used to have given to my shibe. Forget the name but they'll know or have an idea of what works. Maybe talk to them about getting some dog Xanax for when you're away? I forget if you've tried closing him in a dog proof room?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

cyberia posted:

:love: :swoon: What breed is it?

She's a show cocker. We had a pretty amazing run of luck getting her. Went to Crufts to do some extra research on which dog breed we wanted, and found that one of the breeders in the cocker stand potentially had a litter on the way. She was sufficiently favourably disposed to us to suggest we get in contact with her about it, and it turned out that she did and there were pups on offer. We arranged to head up a bit after the litter was born, and I did a fair amount of research in the meantime, including buying a couple of promising-looking books on the breed. Anyway, we went over for a chat, and it was a real nice, professional place with some very happy dogs, and we sat down for a chat... only for me to notice a printout of an Amazon page for a cocker book that I assumed she thought we should have a read of. Turns out that it was one of the books I'd ordered the previous day, and she was recommending it because many of the dogs photographed in it were hers. Things went pretty smoothly from there, we made a couple more visits up, and she and her husband have been sending us pics of the litter on a regular basis.

Anyway, we've made the relevant preparations, and she'll be arriving soon, so I just hope that we do right by her and that she and our cat at least tolerate each other.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Psychobabble! posted:

There's a flea/tick shot you can get from the vet that works very well I used to have given to my shibe. Forget the name but they'll know or have an idea of what works. Maybe talk to them about getting some dog Xanax for when you're away? I forget if you've tried closing him in a dog proof room?

The only possible room to dog proof is the bathroom. I've used it when the cafe is busted, but that just results in him peeing and pooping in there and tracking it all over. The main issue is that he overheats since the thermostat sensor is a different part of the apartment. I've put fans in there, but it doesn't cut it.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Warbird posted:

I've had really good luck with Soresto flea and tick collars. They're a little bit pricey but they last for 8 months.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

gently caress this dog.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Warbird posted:

gently caress this dog.

Looks pretty.

Sodacan
Dec 6, 2014

it's a nose, right? right?
Y'all failed me on the last long-rear end post, but that's fine, it was long as poo poo.

Some weeks later, I'll keep this one short.

New 3.5 year old rescue murderdag is a sweetheart, but absolutely obsessed with all the small critters she can see out our second-story apartment window. She's good enough that we don't need to crate her at all during the day, but whenever she's not sleeping, she's spending her time alternating between one of three windows making eyes at Shitcat, Fuckhog, Bastard Rabbit, and all her other friends my girlfriend and I have so named.

She definitely works herself up when she does this: she's a really quiet murderdag, and only ever makes a sound when she's growping/whining at something in the yard. What I'm wondering is: how much could this realistically be bleeding into some of the anxiety/nerves/less-than-ideal behaviors we've been trying to work with her on fixing? I'm considering crating her for some or all of the day as an experiment to see if removing her from the stimulus changes anything in her mood, but maybe that's a dumb idea and you should tell me so before I try it.

It'd just also be nicer if she was allowed to romp around the apartment as she liked, but at this point, doing what she likes hasn't necessarily translated into calmdog behavior.

Here's some pics so you'll pay attention.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Sodacan posted:

Y'all failed me on the last long-rear end post, but that's fine, it was long as poo poo.

Some weeks later, I'll keep this one short.

New 3.5 year old rescue murderdag is a sweetheart, but absolutely obsessed with all the small critters she can see out our second-story apartment window. She's good enough that we don't need to crate her at all during the day, but whenever she's not sleeping, she's spending her time alternating between one of three windows making eyes at Shitcat, Fuckhog, Bastard Rabbit, and all her other friends my girlfriend and I have so named.

She definitely works herself up when she does this: she's a really quiet murderdag, and only ever makes a sound when she's growping/whining at something in the yard. What I'm wondering is: how much could this realistically be bleeding into some of the anxiety/nerves/less-than-ideal behaviors we've been trying to work with her on fixing? I'm considering crating her for some or all of the day as an experiment to see if removing her from the stimulus changes anything in her mood, but maybe that's a dumb idea and you should tell me so before I try it.

It'd just also be nicer if she was allowed to romp around the apartment as she liked, but at this point, doing what she likes hasn't necessarily translated into calmdog behavior.

Stress releases chemicals into the body, making the body more susceptible to being re-stressed (laymen's explanation, please pardon me). So, yes, working herself up by watching critters may be feeding into your other issues, depending on the severity. Maybe.

Check out some of the most recent posts in the dog training megathread about Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol. Also, consider buying that plastic stuff you can put on your windows to disperse light, and put it anywhere she's looking out. It may be able to obscure the outdoors enough that she'll not obsess over it so much.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
ngl your passive aggressive bitching kinda makes me want to ignore your post on principal

working herself up and obsessing over poo poo outside is almost certainly playing into her anxiety to some extent or at least it isn't helping. if she can't ever relax, she's going to get more stressed even if it's not the stuff outside thats stressing her out. one option besides crating is putting something like this on your windows. I've used it on a bedroom window that faced the street and it looks quite nice. it's pretty much indistinguishable from frosted glass, is easy to remove, doesn't leave any residue, and she definitely won't be able to see through it. confining her to an area where she doesn't have access to the windows could be another option depending on how your house is laid out.

basically youre on the right track, you need to remove her access to the windows. how you do that is up to you but the longer she practices the behavior, the harder its going to be to stop.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Warbird posted:

gently caress this dog.

haha I didn't see the shower curtain at first. What kind of masochist gets a husky and a beagle? If there's any line of thinking other than "I kind of like dogs but really hate myself", I'd love to hear it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Warbird posted:

gently caress this dog.

You really need one of those plastic airplane crates. Leave it in the center of the room, on a surface that it can't slide on, with nothing in the crate. I would be surprised if that dog's teeth still exist after chewing on that metal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ikantski posted:

haha I didn't see the shower curtain at first. What kind of masochist gets a husky and a beagle? If there's any line of thinking other than "I kind of like dogs but really hate myself", I'd love to hear it.

He's taking care of the husky for a friend.

Sodacan
Dec 6, 2014

it's a nose, right? right?

a life less posted:

Check out some of the most recent posts in the dog training megathread about Karen Overall's Relaxation Protocol. Also, consider buying that plastic stuff you can put on your windows to disperse light, and put it anywhere she's looking out. It may be able to obscure the outdoors enough that she'll not obsess over it so much.

Ahh, thanks. I remember seeing that when I was first scanning the PI threads but I will give it a closer look!

Ausrotten posted:

one option besides crating is putting something like this on your windows. I've used it on a bedroom window that faced the street and it looks quite nice. it's pretty much indistinguishable from frosted glass, is easy to remove, doesn't leave any residue, and she definitely won't be able to see through it. confining her to an area where she doesn't have access to the windows could be another option depending on how your house is laid out.

Never would have thought of frosted glass. Such a better idea than trying to weigh down the curtains or something similarly dumb, as I was considering.

Ausrotten posted:

basically youre on the right track, you need to remove her access to the windows. how you do that is up to you but the longer she practices the behavior, the harder its going to be to stop.

Thankfully it's only been 4 weeks so far, so hopefully it's not too deeply entrenched. But the layout of the house is in our favor, which is a big plus.

Thanks dudes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

You really need one of those plastic airplane crates. Leave it in the center of the room, on a surface that it can't slide on, with nothing in the crate. I would be surprised if that dog's teeth still exist after chewing on that metal.

Got one a goon earlier in the thread linked, he was where I left him when I got back from work this afternoon. I'm debating getting a smaller one for the beagle as the lessened view may mesh better with her.

Ikantski posted:

Taking care of it while the owner (brother-in-law-in-law) is in China for a bit. The beagle's mine, which also wasn't so much my choice as my wanting a dog and them not wanting her. Same household as the one fuckface is from. Different owners though.

lorabel
Apr 4, 2013

Isn't it kind of a bad idea to get a high energy dog when you can't even get out of bed in the morning to run it for an hour before leaving it in a cage all day? Like 10-15 minutes in the morning for a husky is just wtf. Hire someone that can take that dog out for a tiring run in the morning if you're too lazy to do it. Has someone else brought this up to this guy?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

lorabel posted:

Isn't it kind of a bad idea to get a high energy dog when you can't even get out of bed in the morning to run it for an hour before leaving it in a cage all day? Like 10-15 minutes in the morning for a husky is just wtf. Hire someone that can take that dog out for a tiring run in the morning if you're too lazy to do it. Has someone else brought this up to this guy?

It's not his dog he's just dog sitting for a few weeks. It's been mentioned multiple times this page alone.

lorabel
Apr 4, 2013

Don't know how I missed that. I guess it was all my raaaage.

lorabel fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 7, 2016

FURY-161
Dec 28, 2005

Here's a puppy thing I wanted to ask you all about :
Just got a 9 week old black lab. He's been with me a week and has settled in amazingly well. He's the most chill puppy I've ever seen, nothing seems to phase him.

I got him started on a crate right away, and he sleeps in it at night just fine. But the crate is next to my 6yo Lab, and during the day the wee pup much prefers to shack up with his new big bro. I guess this is fine for now (big dog doesn't seem to mind), but I worry that puppy isn't getting used to the crate as his own space,and it might cause issues down the line.

Any thoughts? Is this an issue that needs correction, or should I just chill like my little guy?

Edit: here they are

FURY-161 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

It's likely a non-issue. You maaay be setting your puppy up to be overly reliant on your other dog for companionship, but honestly, that may not be an issue for most people. Do whatever you like, really. I might recommend making sure your pup gets lots of time to explore, work and bond with you one-on-one, to encourage his independence.

Be wary of potential fights, of course, and that they have sufficient space.