Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Considering King's stated mission for this book was "I wanted a book where Batman does cool Batman poo poo a lot", he's pretty much nailing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

That is a ridiculous moment stretching credulity. Luckily he's writing a comic book.

Come on man, there's a suspension of disbelief.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

And writing a little bit on nonsense for comedy worked for me :shrug:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

If Batman doing a sweet ninja vanish breaks your suspension of disbelief you have no business reading Batman

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

This is a dude who hangs shoulder to shoulder with literal gods over and over. And y'all are getting hung up on him pulling a ninja vanishing move.

:lol:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Considering last issue he ejected from his rocket car onto a crashing plane which he then steered from above with his grappling wire, spooky ninja vanishing is the least of your worries about suspension of disbelief.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

If Batman doing a sweet ninja vanish breaks your suspension of disbelief you have no business reading Batman

Batman doing a sweet ninja vanish is cool. Batman doing a sweet ninja vanish just to make the people with super powers feel impotent while Gordon lectures them about the mighty perfection of Batman they just don't understand is not.

It's not the actual event that's a problem, it's how it fits into the narrative and how it's written that bugs me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Naw that was pretty cool

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doc Shaner only drew half of Future Quest again, and next issue doesn't have him at all.
I was really hoping for him to eventually be a monthly artist (or and on-and-off arc guy nowdays) on something like Superman, but maybe he just can't.

At least the fill-in artists meshed pretty well.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Considering last issue he ejected from his rocket car onto a crashing plane which he then steered from above with his grappling wire, spooky ninja vanishing is the least of your worries about suspension of disbelief.

To be fair, you can explain all of that and him slipping away behind Gordon's back with the comicbook rule of Batman is cool and smart.
Him doing that while two wonderpeople are watching breaks that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 6, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Batman doing a sweet ninja vanish is cool. Batman doing a sweet ninja vanish just to make the people with super powers feel impotent while Gordon lectures them about the mighty perfection of Batman they just don't understand is not.

It's not the actual event that's a problem, it's how it fits into the narrative and how it's written that bugs me.

It's Batman's name on the cover, sorry, he gets to look cool at the expense of some newbies who just flew into town yesterday and think they're gonna hang in the roughest neighborhood just because they have superpowers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If someone is reading a Batman comic, they probably already think he's cool. I don't need to be convinced. It's like how people write Aquaman, or used to write Kyle. There are other, less hamfisted ways for him to get the better of them.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
When I open a book called Batman what I really want to see is people dunking on Batman for not having superpowers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

What editor at DC looked at these pencils and went "Yep, looks good, not horrifying on absolutely every level, ink it"?

I bet that's the colorists fault more than anything.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Definitely inker.
The colourist did a pretty decent job there.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I can only imagine what's going to happen if some parent buys their kid a copy of the Flintstones, only for them to be treated to the horrors of capitalism, PTSD war flashbacks, and Wilma's incredibly dark backstory.

It was pretty good, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Darth Nat posted:

I can only imagine what's going to happen if some parent buys their kid a copy of the Flintstones, only for them to be treated to the horrors of capitalism, PTSD war flashbacks, and Wilma's incredibly dark backstory.

It was pretty good, though.

Holy poo poo was Flintstones good. This was a good week for DC Comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Flintstones was.....amazingly weird. I love Prez's dark humour but Flintstones has it dialed up to 11. That isn't a bad thing really, and Russel is giving the Flintstones more of a backstory than ever before, but just be prepared for some really dark things to happen.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

drat. Putting some Green Arrow pages in the good art thread, I found out Otto Scmidt does it all himself (e: not counting the lettering.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Superman is the best DC book I've been waiting years on. It's so good. I'm not sure what's up with Batman. I mean I love King and I thought his Batman would be a slam dunk great book once it was announced, but just like Wonder Woman it's just not grabbing me at all. Maybe I just had too high expectations for both? Neither are bad but I just feel they're kind of bland. The only stuff I really liked in this issue was Snarky Alfred, the rest was just kind of there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The only thing that made me step back in disagreement was Alfred saying that Bruce doesn't even trust him. Surely if there was one person Bruce Wayne trusts 100%, no second thoughts, it would be Alfred.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only thing that made me step back in disagreement was Alfred saying that Bruce doesn't even trust him. Surely if there was one person Bruce Wayne trusts 100%, no second thoughts, it would be Alfred.

Well... Alfred did get him the wrong sword. Would you trust someone after that?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'd have a hard time trusting him after the whole Outsider business.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bruce doesn't trust Alfred. If he did he'd listen to him the nine thousand times he tells him it's suicide and maybe he should take a goddamn nap instead of breaking all his arms again.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Superdad is great. I can't quite nail exactly why, but I love it. Maybe it's just really nice seeing Clark have a family. Hell, seeing anyone in the DC Universe have a legit family. I am all the way in on Superman. Batman I thought was good. I think it's weird to take issue with Batman doing his vanishing move. Literally right before that we saw him explaining that they have super vision. In my mind, a Batman that is aware of a super power is already on his way to circumventing it. He said he'd been watching Gotham and Gotham Girl (still dumb names) for a while. Everyone's got a weakness and DC has done nothing but go nuts with BATMAN WILL FIND THAT WEAKNESS for decades now. Maybe it was just because I read the thread before the comic, but I got to a conclusion immediately. Batman's vanishing act is one of his things. It'd be pretty poo poo if he did it and Gotham was all "I see you." Lark still has no purpose and a stupid name, so....glad he's around, I guess.

Superdad though. So great.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

ImpAtom posted:

Bruce doesn't trust Alfred. If he did he'd listen to him the nine thousand times he tells him it's suicide and maybe he should take a goddamn nap instead of breaking all his arms again.

I think that is less a trust issue and more Batman thinking he knows better than anyone. Plus Alfred keeps putting his broken arms in the cast so he's really just enabling him!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I read the "I don't even trust Alfred" as a dry Batman joke.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

I read the "I don't even trust Alfred" as a dry Batman joke.

Yeah especially when Alfred follows it up with that katana anecdote. Alfred and Gordon were both hilarious this issue.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Gotham humor. Very dry.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Travis343 posted:

Yeah especially when Alfred follows it up with that katana anecdote. Alfred and Gordon were both hilarious this issue.

The Gordon stuff I found less so because it's just another rehashing of the disappearing Batman thing which has been done to death at this point. Adding in a couple of super powered people didn't really make that much of a difference. Seemed like a wast of a page for an overdone joke.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you don't laugh in Gotham you would cry. Or possibly die. Most likely die. While laughing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

The Gordon stuff I found less so because it's just another rehashing of the disappearing Batman thing which has been done to death at this point. Adding in a couple of super powered people didn't really make that much of a difference. Seemed like a wast of a page for an overdone joke.

His reaction after Gotham is all "we're here to help, sir!" is great. He's already over these goobers.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
The Flintstones as a pitch black comedy about the monstrous nature of capitalism and the choking complacency that we endure under it was not exactly what I was expecting from this book, but I kind of love it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AWESOME BOOKS - Green Arrow. Superman. Flinstones.

GOOD BOOKS - Justice League Rebirth (despite Hitch being incapable of drawing the correct Superman suit). Batman

MEH BOOK - Aquaman.

BAD BOOK - Green Lanterns.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I hope Hitch stays off of art in Justice League. The story was fine but holy poo poo his art is getting worse and worse and I never really cared for it in the first place.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Absolutely hated JL. Everyone but Superman and the Lanterns were really weird and out of character, the dialogue was incredibly bad (every line from Barry was like a cringey kid trying to write "funny" dialogue for The Flash, Wonder Woman was her genericized Warrior person again blah blah), and Hitch's art was rushed as heck like usual. And I mean, it wasn't even a subtle ripoff of Mass Effect as far as story goes, which was weird.

Liked Aquaman. The resolution between Manta and Arthur was great.

Liked Batman. Still not living up to King's other work but it's a fine superhero book as it stands.

Loved Superman. I dunno, I'm just a sucker for Superdad raising Superson. Always been a sucker for superhero families, I suppose.

I'm tempted to pick up Flintstones based on what I'm hearing from you guys and the owner at my store. Might be something I check out in trade.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
This week in DC listed best to worst.

Superman is still an excellent book. I'm loving the interactions between the characters and have really come to like Superboy. The art was also fantastic as usual from Gleason.

Batman was the book I wanted this week. Good art, better dialogue, and it feels like the story is moving. The Gotham super twins aren't terrible, Gordon was good, the Alfred interaction seemed a little off, and Duke I guess existed again.

JLA was mediocre at best with a story that is a mash up ripoff of Mass Effect and Starro the Conqueror. In fact they could have just used Starro! The characters seemed a bit off and the art was yucky. I'll stick with for a few more issues but it was not a good book. Also lol at the GL spoilers and then going well have to stop dealing with our world ending crisis to deal with this other one. I wonder if the red lanterns let them take time out.

Green Lantern was a lovely book, the dialogue was poo poo, the characters continued to be unlikeable, the story is poo poo, where was bleez? She is on the cover and mentioned in JLA, but no where to be found. WE GET THAT JESSICA IS AGORAPHOBIC. In fact I do not remember them even calling her fear that. Maybe I missed it but I am glad they think the readership is dumb. the art was lovely too. I'm dropping it and regret having picked the wrong Green hero book.

Edit: I want to add that the bimonthly schedule is already causing me to feel that books are way to decompressed. Batman and GL both felt like this.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 7, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Green Arrow was fine, I guess, but pulled away hard from the socially conscious liberalism that defined the book previously, folding it back to a typical "Ollie North is getting HUNTED DOWN" story. Otherwise unremarkable.

Kind of hard to do in an issue where Oliver didn't interact with anyone else for more than a couple of panels. I'd hardly call it pulling back.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
So far I've read Green Lanterns, Flinstones, and Justice League.

Green Lanterns just doesn't want to be read. Every time I see a glimmer of hope from the writing and think "Okay everything up until now has been rough, but maybe Humphries has finally found his groove?", the art reminds me that even if he did it's far too late for me to care. And those glimmers of hope from the writing were rare. I get that some books need time to develop, but Green Lanterns #1 and #2 feel totally interchangeable; Jessica keeps going "Wow I used to be locked in my apartment for years!", Simon is the angriest man not from the 90s, they don't like eachother because Simon is the reckless man and Jessica is the cautious woman. There were parts of the flashback to Jessica and Sara that were alright but all of the present day stuff just didn't pull my attention. Also the art continues to be very bad for a book that costars a female character. I think this'll be my last Green Lanterns.

Flinstones I am so surprised by. I haven't really cared about the HB stuff because I don't have nostalgia for any of the shows other than Scooby Doo, but I really liked the look at the economic/political history of Bed Rock. I admit, it's really easy to pander to me if your story has the theme "Capitalism/US politics sucks" but going off the reactions to the book I don't think it's just me being pandered to :v:.

Justice League was a giant enemy crab fight that ends with Clark reminding the team "SHOOT THE CRAB IN ITS WEAKSPOT FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE!" so I don't really have any strong feelings. I didn't like the art much but the art (and writing for that matter) for the Green Lanterns was so much better than their own book that it solidified my decision to drop GLs and just read Justice League if I want to see Green Lanterns that aren't the big 3 doing stuff.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay, I laughed really, really hard at Simon's intro in this week's GLs.

The narration is super overdone and the art is...startling...but I'm really enjoying the dynamic between these two.

Enjoyed Superman more than the first issue. I admit that I didn't follow N52 Superbro very much so I don't know if he occasionally acted as inspirational and uplifting as Clark does in this book, but in any case it was really nice seeing a Superman be that way again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I liked him being all "I'll deal with this... totally coincidental... giant squid monster, nice submarine men!"

Smooth, Clark.