Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
If you guys can find used 290s, it looks like their going price is under $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

bigmandan posted:

Okay I think a 1070 is good enough for me for now. Thanks!

I love ultrawides for productivity. I can either have 4+ editors open, or 2-3 editors and a browser open all side by side. Not having a bezel to worry about for multi monitor setups is really nice as I can be more flexible with window sizes.

e: I can take a screenshot of my usual work setup when I get home if you are interested.

Sounds cool but this is not right thread. Monitor thread is better!

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

Green Gloves posted:

GPU definitely. What resolution do you want to play at?

Well I've got a 30in 2560x1600 monitor so that'd be nice.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

You just need a GPU replacement. If you're comfortable with a used GPU, try to buy a $200 GTX 970 or even cheaper R9-290. If you want new and need it now, try to buy a 4GB RX-480. If you wait a month you'll have more options.

I can wait a month! What's happening then?

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

mikul posted:

I can wait a month! What's happening then?

New generation of cards was just released (and one more from another vendor is releasing today), it will take time for boards that aren't based on the reference design to show up.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

movax posted:

Let's see what Newegg backorders are like -- got the Nowinstock alert, and instead of 'auto-notify', I could back-order.

Still thinking August when it actually shows up.

I backordered one (MSI Gaming 1080) and it shipped after 4 days. Not saying that's how it always goes, but that was my experience.

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

Skuto posted:

New generation of cards was just released (and one more from another vendor is releasing today), it will take time for boards that aren't based on the reference design to show up.

RX480 has been mentioned elsewhere. Are you saying that in a month, I'll be able to get a better deal on one. Also, why 4gb and not 8gb?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mikul posted:

RX480 has been mentioned elsewhere. Are you saying that in a month, I'll be able to get a better deal on one. Also, why 4gb and not 8gb?

It's more complex than that. The RX 480 that you can buy right now has some problems, but is still the best bang for the buck in new GPUs. Hopefully within a month there will be other models of RX 480 that are quieter and faster. Also, the nVidia GTX 1060 should be around in a month.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fletcher posted:

I backordered one (MSI Gaming 1080) and it shipped after 4 days. Not saying that's how it always goes, but that was my experience.

They've left the button up now, so I'm just mostly curious what position I got on the list.

I really wish I was still in the industry so I could have gotten some engineering sample(s) early. :smith:

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

movax posted:

They've left the button up now, so I'm just mostly curious what position I got on the list.

I really wish I was still in the industry so I could have gotten some engineering sample(s) early. :smith:

I will keep an eye out. I am good at seeing things before others do. My eyes are faster than nowinstock. Its so wrong for the mod at the SA forum to not get a card at this point.

Check this friday 10 am pst on Newegg. Thats the sweet spot time. They call me Green Gloves.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 6, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

mikul posted:

All of the cards are actually 8GB with the 4GB ones having half of their RAM locked out in firmware, just updating the firmware should be able to unlock the full 8GB. I have no idea if the modified firmware is widely available yet though and how difficult it is to update.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

bigmandan posted:

I'm wondering if I should go for a 1070 or a 1080. I have a 60hz 3440x1440 screen. I'm mostly concerned with getting 60fps minimum at medium or better settings. I'm thinking the 1070 might be enough for the next year or so, but not sure after that. Thoughts?

I have a 3440x1440 screen and a 1070.

It's totally fine/good/etc. especially with a nice OC on it. I wouldn't get the 1080 unless you have tons of disposable income.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

All of the cards are actually 8GB with the 4GB ones having half of their RAM locked out in firmware, just updating the firmware should be able to unlock the full 8GB. I have no idea if the modified firmware is widely available yet though and how difficult it is to update.

w1zzard posted it here

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers
Just randomly checked nowinstock and Amazon had the EVGA 1070 SC. Snagged it, and with Prime shipping too!

Now I just need to get the 120Hz TV that actually justifies that card. Hopefully it doesn't kill itself out of boredom when I make it play 1080p@60 in the meantime.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Taima posted:

I have a 3440x1440 screen and a 1070.

It's totally fine/good/etc. especially with a nice OC on it. I wouldn't get the 1080 unless you have tons of disposable income.

Thanks for the info! Just ordered a 1070! Hopefully with the Canada Post lockout coming it does not interfere with shipping, but Newegg usually ships with Purolator when I order...

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

twxabfn posted:

Just randomly checked nowinstock and Amazon had the EVGA 1070 SC. Snagged it, and with Prime shipping too!

Now I just need to get the 120Hz TV that actually justifies that card. Hopefully it doesn't kill itself out of boredom when I make it play 1080p@60 in the meantime.

You could use DSR 2x to make it not bored.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
de ja vu to 970 days

Dont worry they'll come out with some poo poo that stresses these out lol

mikul
Feb 8, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

It's more complex than that. The RX 480 that you can buy right now has some problems, but is still the best bang for the buck in new GPUs. Hopefully within a month there will be other models of RX 480 that are quieter and faster. Also, the nVidia GTX 1060 should be around in a month.

Interesting. I'd struggle to justify the cost of the graphics card for just Doom. Will it help with any of the 4K video editing/encoding that is getting into?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm planning to get a 1070, and it seems that a bunch of them have huge coolers and are "2.5 slot" or "3 slot". I think it would fit in my system but I'm not £400 sure about it. If I put it in the top x16 slot of this motherboard, would I be able to put something else in the bottom slot?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

bigmandan posted:

Thanks for the info! Just ordered a 1070! Hopefully with the Canada Post lockout coming it does not interfere with shipping, but Newegg usually ships with Purolator when I order...

given recent newegg experiences they will probably go out of their way to ship canada post during the lockout

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

wicka posted:

given recent newegg experiences they will probably go out of their way to ship canada post during the lockout

:negative:

I checked my order and it said it was shipping from the US, so hopefully that means Purolator/UPS and not USPS -> Canada Post.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

bigmandan posted:

I checked my order and it said it was shipping from the US, so hopefully that means Purolator/UPS and not USPS -> Canada Post.

tbh i don't think they ship anything via USPS

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

For those trying to be frugal about the 1070, nowinstock finally added notifications for the $399 gigabyte windforce @ newegg

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The 1080 is now back to auto-notify on the egg, so I'll just assume they allowed a few hundred people (thousand?) people to backorder and then closed the faucet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

For those trying to be frugal about the 1070, nowinstock finally added notifications for the $399 gigabyte windforce @ newegg

Just FYI nowinstock will add almost anything you want, just email them.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Don Lapre posted:

Just FYI nowinstock will add almost anything you want, just email them.

Oh poo poo, that's good to know. Thanks!

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

bigmandan posted:

The card I ordered from newegg.ca last week shipped through purolator. Just watch out because they don't require signatures anymore and they'll just leave it on your doorstep.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Oh poo poo, that's good to know. Thanks!

When i was flipping oculus rifts i emailed them and the bestbuy listings were up in like 10 minutes.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Hungry Computer posted:

The card I ordered from newegg.ca last week shipped through purolator. Just watch out because they don't require signatures anymore and they'll just leave it on your doorstep.

I get it shipped to where I work, so no worries there.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm planning to get a 1070, and it seems that a bunch of them have huge coolers and are "2.5 slot" or "3 slot". I think it would fit in my system but I'm not £400 sure about it. If I put it in the top x16 slot of this motherboard, would I be able to put something else in the bottom slot?

A 3 slot cooler would block the PCIe x1 and the PCI slot between the two X16s, but you would be able to put a card in the second x16 slot. (It might not be a great idea, because airflow, but you can do it).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

A 3 slot cooler would block the PCIe x1 and the PCI slot between the two X16s, but you would be able to put a card in the second x16 slot. (It might not be a great idea, because airflow, but you can do it).

Yay, thanks! Time to waste some money (the card for the second slot is just a little wifi thing which shouldn't interfere with airflow too much)

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

movax posted:

Let's see what Newegg backorders are like -- got the Nowinstock alert, and instead of 'auto-notify', I could back-order.

Still thinking August when it actually shows up.

What did you order? My Gigabyte 1070 Gaming shipped within 2 business days of my 'back order'

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Massive shitstorm typhoon set to score a direct hit on Taiwan very soon. Even if TSMC avoids being several feet underwater, infrastructure in the area could be hosed for some time.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
oh yeah, that hosed things up last time too

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Welp that makes me feel good about ordering my card already rather than waiting longer for possibly more choices and better deals.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

oh yeah, that hosed things up last time too
I think you're thinking of flooding in Thailand.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3054966/gtx-1070-gtx-970s.html

Anyone post this yet? Mini size 1070

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Unless the new driver doesn't make the 480 break your PCIe slots again, I'm picking up a 390 instead.

Which is a shame because this could've been a great alternative to a 1070.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

I think you have the wrong link there. But if it's about a Gigabyte ITX mini, I'd wait for thorough reviews on it. The mini 970 was quite infamous for being loud and nasty (also cheap), while the Asus little one was the goto model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Trip Report on my 1080.

It hits 2130MHz boost, and 5600MhHz on mem. It's a keeper alright.