Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
What does currency mean to you? Just run domination maps at 5c per map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Or buy Monstrous Treasure prophecies for 4c each. They take all the monsters in a map except the boss and replace them with a fuckload of strongboxes. Also a good way to find uniques and cartos.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

ImsaKidd posted:

For tormented spirit, you can do it super easily in the Grand Arena.

The 2 relevant prophecies are the one that gives ghost to rares, and the one that makes spirits release when you kill a mob with one (forget the name of both).

Go to Grand Arena, and rush to the trio of bosses before daresso. Each will have a spirit- kill one of the bosses, then chase the spirit that's released onto another of the bosses. ezpz.

Super helpful, thanks.

Jusupov posted:

What does currency mean to you? Just run domination maps at 5c per map.

Eh. I thought I might have to do the div card challenge, but it looks like maybe not. I guess I'm going to skip div cards, maps from bosses, 8 mod maps and end game grind. So I can use my currency on shrines just fine. Now I just need to figure out if I can clear a twinned 15 or buy one.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

MerrMan posted:

Super helpful, thanks.

Eh. I thought I might have to do the div card challenge, but it looks like maybe not. I guess I'm going to skip div cards, maps from bosses, 8 mod maps and end game grind. So I can use my currency on shrines just fine. Now I just need to figure out if I can clear a twinned 15 or buy one.

I got a free twinned 15 clear from /global 820 last night. I tipped the guy a few chaos for it. Took me about 3 days of paying attention to that chat spam to finally see one offered. Alternatively, folks are organizing twinned colluseum map rotations in there as well as a quick way to do half of the end game grind challenge.

re shrines: I would just keep playing and make a conscious effort to tap every shrine you see. Unless you want to do the 5c zana mod to do it, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding enough to hit the 200 number by just playing.

Also, if you're gonna go wasting currency like that you should just buy/roll 8mod maps off poe.trade for 3-5 chaos per and you'll come out cheaper in the end.

I hit 36 last night and am having a bit of a crisis on what to do now. My options are: switch to HC for a while, continue farming endgame nonsense on BV char, retrofit my abandoned mid-70s Juggernaut to use my newly found voidheart, or continue leveling one of my 4 other pre-60 alt chars ... or take a break (lol)

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

MerrMan posted:

Just buy an abyss and alt it until you hit twinned. I didn't do that and did div cards first and twinned maps as 37th. Got almost a full set of one of them after finishing the challenge too

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Wait you can get a monkey?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The new uber izaro for today is pretty much the easiest you can get - double swords, fonts and portals. Can my Doomfletcher do it? Nope. loving single target.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Rufio posted:

Wait you can get a monkey?

the 36 challenge reward is a monkey pet this league

its the same one navali has on her back

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Is it a cute monkey?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

zoom in when you talk to navali

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Rufio posted:

Is it a cute monkey?

no it has aids

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Vasudus posted:

The new uber izaro for today is pretty much the easiest you can get - double swords, fonts and portals. Can my Doomfletcher do it? Nope. loving single target.

What skill do you use? Do you have pierce passives? (if so, Frost wall cheese)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gonadic io posted:

What skill do you use? Do you have pierce passives? (if so, Frost wall cheese)

I use LA in my reach of the council for single target, doomfletch with split arrow otherwise. If I didn't use LA frostwall I wouldn't get past the first phase. My tree isn't really set up for LA though, so it's a bandaid solution that pretty much has me abusing how good reach is. Izaro just has too much health and ignores my frost walls just enough that my meager single target isn't up to snuff.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MerrMan posted:

Super helpful, thanks.

Why are you doing twinned t15? As for your shrines just play the game lmao. You don't have to go out of your way to complete that part of the challenge. Unless you never play.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
So how DO you earn currency in this game?

I've made my goal this league to get a Voll's Devotion (let's be realistic; I have no delusions of actually getting one). But goals are good, and forces me to learn.

People say you should farm and sell items, but I've bought crappy pieces of gear mostly for around a chaos or so, and I've had maybe two pieces drop (plus a Deodre's ring) with stats nearly as good as the cheapo gear I'm buying. Even if I sell things for an alch here or there, that's a long time of inviting buyers to hideouts alone just to make a single exalt. The six-socket 7 jewelers and un-IDed chaos recipe seems to be a much quicker source of currency for me.

Currently I've been farming Dried Lake and beelining straight for Voll for Bitter Emperor cards up until 80 -- though I'm beginning to think it's more time-efficient to farm higher maps and make the currency to buy the drat thing instead. Not that I know how to build/maintain a mid- to high-tier map pool, either.

Are you rich goons mostly playing the trading game and flipping items to get there? Or mostly farming?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Just do maps. Lots of maps. Transmute+alt if you've got a weaker build that's picky about mods, otherwise alch and go go go. Maps get you more maps and if you're not maintaining a pool it just means you haven't done enough maps yet.

Do more maps.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

facepalmolive posted:

I've made my goal this league to get a Voll's Devotion (let's be realistic; I have no delusions of actually getting one). But goals are good, and forces me to learn.

People say you should farm and sell items, but I've bought crappy pieces of gear mostly for around a chaos or so, and I've had maybe two pieces drop (plus a Deodre's ring) with stats nearly as good as the cheapo gear I'm buying. Even if I sell things for an alch here or there, that's a long time of inviting buyers to hideouts alone just to make a single exalt. The six-socket 7 jewelers and un-IDed chaos recipe seems to be a much quicker source of currency for me.

Currently I've been farming Dried Lake and beelining straight for Voll for Bitter Emperor cards up until 80 -- though I'm beginning to think it's more time-efficient to farm higher maps and make the currency to buy the drat thing instead. Not that I know how to build/maintain a mid- to high-tier map pool, either.

Are you rich goons mostly playing the trading game and flipping items to get there? Or mostly farming?

You're only gonna need 32ex for a Voll's Devotion, it looks like. :v:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

can you chance a devotion? why doesnt that base make a noise like sorc boots

e: ah league specific

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
It's league specific and neither anarchy nor onslaught are available via zana so the only method to get it is through div cards... which has a drop rate less frequent than exalted orbs

E: also it's the 1000 pt reward for the recently announced race season! https://www.pathofexile.com/seasons

Hype

climboutonalimb fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 8, 2016

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Yep, realistically I wasn't actually counting on getting one.

I hope to try/learn something new on each of my playthroughs. If I don't learn how to make money this time, maybe at least I'll learn how to maintain a map pool.

I didn't realize Brittle Emperor's drop rates were lower than exalted orbs. That puts things in perspective. Off to maps I go!

climboutonalimb posted:

E: also it's the 1000 pt reward for the recently announced race season! https://www.pathofexile.com/seasons

Ahahahaha welp.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

climboutonalimb posted:

It's league specific and neither anarchy nor onslaught are available via zana so the only method to get it is through div cards... which has a drop rate less frequent than exalted orbs

Hype

I love that there's alt art talismans there but not the talismans anyone actually has a use for.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
There isnt a white level 100 amulet. :(

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

facepalmolive posted:

How do I earn currency? Well, I'm not one to boast, but I am the mother fuckin' unluckiest guy out there (according to me). Case in point, I've culled 5 exalteds this league, each one was allocated to the one other person in my party. I seriously don't even group either. Probably 90-95% of the time I'm playing solo, but every time I did group, an exalt dropped on the first map, for the other person. Zero for myself obviously. I'm sure you can guess how many 6links I've linked or uniques I have chanced as well... But I digress, enough with my bitching and on to answering your question.

My point in telling you all this, is that luck, and being unlucky is not a barrier between you and great wealth. Luck can certainly take you there, but it can't stop you, even from something that seems as outlandish as Voll's Devotion (well you get the gist, haha that's still expensive as gently caress). The great thing about this game is their are many ways into riches. I'll start with the obvious one, Playing the game. This kinda has to all begin near the start of the league, or actually, just whenever you make your first character is fine. Do your homework and find a build that is 1.Cheap 2.Tanky 3.Can handle every map mod. Oh and there is a 4th now, but it could almost be 1 because of how important it is... Make a character geared toward Uber Lab. I think a lot of people get turned off by the silver boxes and the corrupted 6links and stuff. I know I felt like some people had to be doing something special to get all that. So my first few I did all the silver keys, took forever, had pretty terrible outcomes. Here's the secret to profiting off of Uber Lab: 5 Key Lab days. I'm not talking about the silver chests or the hidden chests, I'm simply talking about getting the key from Argus, and making sure that Izaro consumes every enchant during phases 1 and 2, so that he will drop 3 treasure keys at the end. "5 Key Lab runs" is simply a term I like to use, 3 keys would be profitable, hell maybe even one, but the big profit is going to come from the days in which there's an additional key located in a chest prior to Izaro P3. That brings the total up to 5, and you have a chance to open a chest that will give you two more. Keep in mind though, you're gonna need a tanky build, but don't worry, every season thus far particular builds have clearly stood out as being far superior defenses. Last season was champion, this season its the juggernaut.

Despite how good Uber Lab is, that's not how I make most my money. I can't exactly think of a good term to title it as, but I do this every single season and it pretty much guarantees multiple exalteds. I guess I'd call it "master craft flipping" or something like that. All it is, is simply setting up alerts on Poe.Trade.com for very specific items. What you want to constantly be looking for and eventually buying, are very specific items that in their current state are worth 1-10chaos, but will actually be worth a whole lot more with one master craft. I'd suggest maybe finding one rare base that you know the affixes really well, you know what builds use it, and what they want on it. But most importantly, it has got to have a decent master craft. A perfect example of this, are ES shields, Chests and Helms. You know what builds use them, CI, you know what bases are good, titanium, ragalia, hubris, and you know what they wnat, high es, high resists, and maybe some spell damage, int, or mana. So I'll tell you right now, the Master Craft flat ES is poo poo, so were gonna be looking for a high flat ES roll and if were incredibly lucky, the hybrid es%/mana. This is easily done by just selecting shield, then adding the T1 or T2 flat ES affix to your search. Then, you just look through the results for something that is priced cheap, AND has No master craft plus an open prefix.

Just to give you an example, with the top Haku Energy Shield% enchant, ive turned a 200es shield into a 400+es shield. And don't think either that this will only work for ES/CI. It works with weapons, quivers and jewelry. However, don't ask me what weapon I do, because I don't want anyone try to get a piece of my pie.

Anyways, another way I've made a good chunk of change, is buy crafting Jewels. I'd actually search for life+damage blue jewels that were listed for a chaos. Then I'd just regal and repeat. That being said, Id highly recommend staying away from jewel crafting strictly for porfit at this current time. Uber lab has completely changed the game, and really reallly nice jewels are being sold for under an exalt.

I guess the last thing I do, and it's really nothing special, but I just make sure that whatever I buy I can resell later for a bit of a profit. I have a system which i really like and do every league where I basically level a guy to 90ish, and by that time I'm dieing to reroll. So I plan out my next build, and sell everything on my level 90, hopefully for a good amount of porfit. I repeat this anywhere from 2-5 times a league. The idea is each character is wealthier and stronger than the last.

Anyway, hope that helps. Other thing is I've heard people making a lot of money from farming prophecies. I'm talking about buying coins and just plowing through proph after proph.
Lastly, never feel like you're above the Chaos recipe or checking vendors each time you level. It really is a good chunk of currency.
If anything doesn't make sense or you have more questions, you can always hit me up ingame @dbk

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

10bux posted:

goodstuff

Thanks, man. I suspected it had to deal with trading. When I shop for myself I try only to buy gear with open affixes, but that's already hiding everything cheap *under* that threshold. It makes more sense to show the dirt-cheap ones under everyone's search thresholds, and make them into something that will actually pop up on their searches.

I'm still lab-phobic, but it's probably partly because I did them as hybrid/CI last league. I like them conceptually; just turns me into a nervous wreck. They really haven't been that bad this league at all.

I've always wondered with career traders like you -- how often do you get interrupted from running stuff with trade requests? Or do you always leave the game on, or allocate an hour each day or something to pure trading?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

don't see that every day

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Make a mf character and farm dried lake until rich, or make a cheap jugger/coc character and farm maps until rich. If you're not lucky you'll have trouble getting a devotion but eh

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Hey guys, facebreaker ancestral warchief totem builds are fun and cheap to gear up. All I have to say is try one.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Bladefall miner is pretty busted

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

for ppl who wondered about scroll selling by the way

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

killstealing posted:

for ppl who wondered about scroll selling by the way

I picked up 1800 scrolls of identify with perandus signet one league, it was wonderful.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ever since I learned you can buy a thousand scrolls for 5c i stopped picking them up

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'll pick up scraps and whetstones and transmutes, as well as scrolls if they're directly in my path. If I miss the click I'll just keep going.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

I picked up 1800 scrolls of identify with perandus signet one league, it was wonderful.

If I mine it myself it's free!!!!!

For the money talk, flipping currency can earn you some decent side money if you can spot trends. A few weeks ago I was buying divines for 10 chaos and selling for 12 chaos. It's low margins but it adds up. Also was doing ex to fusings back and forth at 5-6 fusing earned every trade. A lot of times people would want to buy 8-9ex worth of fusings so that's like 40-50 fusings for that one trade profit which you then turn into more exalts and repeat the process.

I like how volls devotion is the reward when CoC which this is generally used with is going to be nerfed in 2.4.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 8, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

If I mine it myself it's free!!!!!

That doesn't seem that bad, really. That'll net them 9-10 chaos? That's pretty good for a ring slot, especially if they didn't have any other rings that were super great for their build at the time.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm being an idiot, but how do i search for items with a combined resist value? So i don't care what the individual values are, just that the item has x overall resists?

e: on poe.trade I mean.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 8, 2016

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

facepalmolive posted:

I'm not rich by any means, but some good advice I've heard from others:

Don't bother listing items for an alch past day 1 of the league. Your minimum price should move up over time: 1 alch day 1, 1 chaos first week, then 2-3 chaos after that. Like you said, it's not worth the time to trade for such a low amount of currency.

Don't pick up every single rare. Focus on: Jewelry, Belts, "Good" bases (learn the top 2-3 for each armor type). I've found that weapons are hard to find useful ones of, but YMMV.

Poopsock clearing mid-tier maps will pull the "loot slot machine" more, so you're more likely to get good unique/high currency drops. Just a function of playing a lot.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

That doesn't seem that bad, really. That'll net them 9-10 chaos? That's pretty good for a ring slot, especially if they didn't have any other rings that were super great for their build at the time.

The bad part is you stopping to pick up all those wisdom scrolls instead of moving on and killing more poo poo and getting more chances at chaos,alchs,6 socket items,fusing, etc etc that can be used to trade for those 1000 scrolls. Time is money friend.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Lungboy posted:

I'm being an idiot, but how do i search for items with a combined resist value? So i don't care what the individual values are, just that the item has x overall resists?

e: on poe.trade I mean.
It's the "pseudo: elemental resists" option, or something close to that. The pseudo option is good for getting stuff.

One thing I've started doing is once I hit late game/maps, I go onto poe.trade and search for items in each slot that needs upgrading with a few good mods and a price of 1c. It's amazing what you can find.

e: for instance I am probably going to grab one of those 600+ ES chests for 1c later

theshim fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 8, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

The bad part is you stopping to pick up all those wisdom scrolls instead of moving on and killing more poo poo and getting more chances at chaos,alchs,6 socket items,fusing, etc etc that can be used to trade for those 1000 scrolls. Time is money friend.

Not everyone poopsocks that hard, friend. It's a bit presumptive to expect everyone to be able to, or even want to, operate on the T15 red twinned map level all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone interested in buying these jewels at goon rates?

• Locked thread