Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Still have no clue what Tiny Build does for GDQ?

Sponsor?

Johnny Joestar posted:

it would be better if samus was still like 7 feet tall and buff but we can't have nice things

Just do like I do and pretend the reimagining of Samus as a realdoll never happened. She'll always be 7 feet tall and buff in my head and I refuse to hear otherwise :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Your Computer posted:

Since Nintendo decided to ruin Samus, here's a good fan interpretation instead:

I think this should be canon.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Internet Kraken posted:

There's an atrocious amount of words, none of the characters are memorable in the slightest, and the combat system is nothing special. I legit don't get the appeal for it other than nostalgia which did not hold up when I played it again several years ago.

I'd settle for just having another Metroid game period.

Federation Force doesn't count :argh:

I mean the characters are pretty faceless, that's true, but I quite enjoyed the combat. A bunch of the weapons were really cool, the art and music are absolutely beautiful, and there are a few really memorable boss fights (For me, at least)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

There's an atrocious amount of words, none of the characters are memorable in the slightest, and the combat system is nothing special. I legit don't get the appeal for it other than nostalgia which did not hold up when I played it again several years ago.

A friend of mine bought the Italian version of Golden Sun. It's great for reading practice.

I do the same thing kind of with Pokemon games now. I play one in English, and one in Italian.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, the only thing Golden Sun ever had going for it was that it was the first JRPG on GBA (or one of the first) and it's pretty mediocre even in that small pond.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

raditts posted:

Yeah, the only thing Golden Sun ever had going for it was that it was the first JRPG on GBA (or one of the first) and it's pretty mediocre even in that small pond.

Yeah this is very true. And once Square started porting all the Final Fantasy games and even other RPGs series showing up like Breath of Fire 1 & and Phantasy Star 1 - 3...it was kinda too late for Golden Sun.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Burginator posted:

I mean the characters are pretty faceless, that's true, but I quite enjoyed the combat. A bunch of the weapons were really cool, the art and music are absolutely beautiful, and there are a few really memorable boss fights (For me, at least)
I actually sort of liked the combat in Dark Dawn better because they nerfed the big summons and you didn't spend the whole game doing the awkward "summon djinn but don't lose all your healing abilities" dance.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Rirse posted:

Yeah this is very true. And once Square started porting all the Final Fantasy games and even other RPGs series showing up like Breath of Fire 1 & and Phantasy Star 1 - 3...it was kinda too late for Golden Sun.

I guess I'm just weird or something but I like Golden Sun more than all of those. Breath of Fire is pretty good too though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how did the donkey kong country games have such tight music

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
like it doesn't even seem possible it could have such consistently good music

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Incoherence posted:

I actually sort of liked the combat in Dark Dawn better because they nerfed the big summons and you didn't spend the whole game doing the awkward "summon djinn but don't lose all your healing abilities" dance.

I legitimately didn't even know Dark Dawn existed. I played the first 2 games and then somehow entirely missed out on the third one even existing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Babby Kong is the worst Kong.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

how did the donkey kong country games have such tight music

Eonwe posted:

like it doesn't even seem possible it could have such consistently good music

composer good, so what

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

One of these guys playing in french and the other in japanese. We'll see which language option reigns supreme.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Azazell0 posted:

One of these guys playing in french and the other in japanese. We'll see which language option reigns supreme.

German. German is the fastest language.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

composer good, so what

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Zorglorfian posted:

Thanks! This gives me an incentive to donate more! :)

MSF are one of if not the best and most effective charity groups on the planet. If I had huge amounts of money it'd go to them before anyone else.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So why is the one guy playing French if Japanese is objectively faster

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Dias posted:

German. German is the fastest language.

Das wage ich zu bezweifeln.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I love when the speedruns are just in sync in movement.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is a close loving race so far

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

barring a huge gently caress up I think the Japanese version will win out because of seconds saved from faster load times

Icetongue
Jun 22, 2015
I like the BFFFFWWROOOOAAAH NOM NOM NOM couchguy. More commentators should have this kind of enthusiasm when explaining glitches.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Also literally just finished revising the Metroid section of my dissertation at the Zero Mission run, that was fun. Time for a nap.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aces High posted:

barring a huge gently caress up I think the Japanese version will win out because of seconds saved from faster load times

:rip:

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Aces High posted:

honh honh honhhhhh :frogbon:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

sorry Japanese player, I jinxed you :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aces High posted:

sorry Japanese player, I jinxed you :(

good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Whenever I try to watch races, something cool happens on the screen I'm not looking at and when I look over to that one something cool happens on the other. I'm not good at watching races :negative:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NOW YOU DID IT

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THE TABLES TURN

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

TABERNACLE

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I think "giant crosscut saw chasing you up a set of hollow trees" is one of the more creative applications of the "advancing wall of doom" game trope.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

donkey bong, c'mon, it's right there

Icetongue
Jun 22, 2015
Oh Geez, indeed, twitterguy.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Was just looking at the schedule and I see YellowKillerBee is running Quackshot pretty soon.

If you thought Twitch Chat was toxic now, just wait.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, that's why they're using different versions. I didn't realize the US version of the game had advantages of its own.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

elentar posted:

Also literally just finished revising the Metroid section of my dissertation at the Zero Mission run, that was fun. Time for a nap.

what is your dissertation

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
drat, that actually evened them up somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Cutting corners, also called cornering

• Locked thread