Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rutibex posted:

This is exactly how I feel about Talisman. It seems board games have not changed that much after all!
People don't like games of monopoly and talisman not because their mechanics are outdated, but because it reminds them too much about the human condition. We like to feel like we are in control of our destiny, which is reflected in some games, when it was already chosen for us by the whims of fate. We don't like to be reminded of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

House Louse posted:

NLJP posted this fascinating article about the ancient Egyptian game Senet in the Roman buttsex thread. It's long but well worth a read, and includes mummies, the afterlife, and an Egyptologist complaining about roll-and-move games.

Yo gently caress this board game noise, I need a link to the Roman buttsex thread like now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gutter Owl posted:

Yo gently caress this board game noise, I need a link to the Roman buttsex thread like now.

It is a good thread. Be sure to read all 461 pages, they are all worth it:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Omega Centauri is in stock at boardgamebliss :toot:

Of course we're staring down a possible postal strike too :confuoot:

Convince me to waste my money on this game, I need more games. And the writeup a few pages back made me add it to my "to check out" list but I can't imagine anyone I know picking it up.

w00tmonger posted:

How are these guys? The couple times I've ordered I've anyways drive it through great board games.

They're great, most of the people I know who order stuff online here do so through BGB. Nothing wrong with GreatBoardgames, though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Omega Centauri people have a video up, a single video, showing a solitaire variant of the rules. Is there seriously no video on the actual game?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I figure that since I post in this thread on a somewhat regular basis, that I would share my experience with you fine folk. Every year, a friend of mine puts on a "Michigan Adventure" modeled after one of the various reality game shows (Survivor, Amazing Race, The Mole, etc). Last year was my first participating, in Survivor, on a freakishly cold and rainy Saturday in June. It was fun but a little bit too political for my tastes, so I was very excited when he announced that he was doing Amazing Race this year. My GF and I signed up, and a few Saturday's ago 7 teams set out from just west of Lansing, Mi and completed a series of challenges (and lots of asking for directions/getting lost) that culminated on the shores of Lake Michigan. It was a brutal but incredibly fun experience. Not only does he put this on for free, but he has a few other friends videotaping as much of the action as possible, which he then edits into an hour long video for all to see.

You can watch this year's race (we are the green team) here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw9BjzqU8Isy9N58IUVdLOR-pSMH3PCPn

Spoilers for the outcome:
We win!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's more homebrew than Rutibex's Talisman.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

There's a milhist, a medieval history, and an ancient history thread in a/t and they're all cool and good, although general milhist is by far the most active.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Makes sense. If you're going to add it in, I feel like "being good at it" would be a large part of it. It's changing it to skill based for a reason so someone being "better" at it winning the game more often is the entire point. Of course, as you said, there still needs to be other balance. Good strategy should be able to outweigh (sometimes) good flicking.

My comment was specifically about "they don't really interact with each other meaningfully". I read that as meaning they don't work together thematically or mechanically, not so much balancing. I don't think dice rolling is meaningful to the rest of the game in most games, it's just a way to determine result.

To use an example of what I mean by the two halves interacting, consider Mario Party. The game has a board, where players make certain decisions -- which paths to follow, which items to buy and when to use them, whether to use board elements against other players -- and minigames, in which players do a quick dexterity challenge to resolve which player earns coins. These test completely different skills (yes I realize how silly it sounds to talk about "skills" in Mario Party of all things but it was the best example that came to mind).

When I say they don't interact with each other meaningfully, I mean that you can generally play each half of the game without thinking about the other half at all. The board state doesn't affect how you approach the current minigame, and any knowledge you might have of minigames doesn't really affect the decisions you make on the board. In very rare circumstances there might be an exception -- perhaps you deliberately throw a minigame so that your temporary partner doesn't get the coins they need to buy a star next turn -- but 99% of the time when the "press B button fast" minigame comes up, you press B button fast. The minigames feed back to the board only in a linear Won / Lost sense.

Mario Party has a reputation, not undeserved, for being a game full of bullshit luck. But there is also a surprisingly large skill component. Whoever does best in minigames not only can afford the most stuff during the game but also likely gets two bonus stars at the end (for Most Coins and Most Minigame Success); unless Chance Time is particularly unkind, that's usually enough to secure a win. And if only one of your elementary school circle of friends owns a Mario Party cartridge, they're probably going to have more practice, so skill gaps are hardly unheard of. The board is comparatively low-impact in terms of how much the decisions you make on it affect the outcome. It's easy to win by outplaying your opponents in minigames; it's quite hard to win by outplaying their item use. Playing a full game of Mario Party and simply playing its 20 minigames will usually lead to the same result. That's the sort of thing I'm concerned about occurring when you have two disconnected halves of the game: one half becomes the half that matters.

For an example where the two halves of the game are intrinsically linked, think of a MtG draft. Drafting and actually playing the game are two separate phases that test different skills, but they tie into each other. The way you approach draft affects the way you play the actual matches in a way that goes beyond Did Good vs Did Bad, and you can't know what a good draft pool looks like unless you understand how it will play in matches. Most games with drafting elements have this sort of connection between the draft and non-draft portions of the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Is there any interest for a separate thread that people can use to schedule PBP/Vassal/TSS games? I was thinking of having a continually updating OP that shows current games that are looking for players etc. Might be useful!

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I would certainly be interested in some weekend games over TTS/Vassal/online sites.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

w00tmonger posted:

How are these guys? The couple times I've ordered I've anyways drive it through great board games.

Another big thumbs up for BoardGameBliss. They're got incredible selection, great customer service, constant discounts on "dented" product, sales running on a bunch of items, and a loyalty program. My only caveat is that sometimes it seems like it takes them a bit to actually ship things out, and the free shipping cutoff is $200 compared to 401's $150 (used to be $100!). As far as prices go, these two guys (and occasionally J&J Cards in Waterwoo) are the most competitive. I don't work for any of them, I swear.

Got to try out 2p La Granja on the weekend and enjoyed myself. It felt a little like two-player solitaire but overall it was (in my opinion) a neat mash up of Agricola and Castles of Burgandy. The components were quite lovely and it was fun actually building your farm up. It was also really simple to figure out the rhythm after the first turn or two and by the end we were blasting through the rounds.

Also got to try another playthrough of Chaos in the Old World and enjoyed myself a lot more than the first time. Every player really was playing the way they were supposed to and it was neat seeing our one friend who is usually the last person to enjoy attacking someone else or engaging in "take that!" type behaviour, really get into her god. Definitely a game that rewards multiple playthroughs with the same group and since everyone had a pretty good time, I'd be quite happy to get it back on the table again.

Karuba continues to be a hit with everyone that plays it.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Tekopo posted:

Is there any interest for a separate thread that people can use to schedule PBP/Vassal/TSS games? I was thinking of having a continually updating OP that shows current games that are looking for players etc. Might be useful!

That would be really useful, although it seems like it would be a lot of work for one person to keep updating the OP. Maybe a public google document? There is also the discord channel for planning.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Let me know if you need a hand, since I've got a fairly big fuckin' stake in something like that. Sounds like a good idea, just remember to take timezones into account.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I was looking more for a "how do I use the custom content from the workshop" sort of tutorial. I got the Caverna mod, but I have no idea how to actually use it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I played Kingdom Death Monster yesterday and I was pretty impressed. Everything is very high quality and the gameplay was fun and worked well. The RPG-lite aspect was really appealing to me since my friends and I really like Eldritch Horror and a number of us play D&D.

I'm really interested by the business of the game. I don't think I place as much value on the really cool miniatures and I've never been big on collecting nerd toys, so I think it would be really hard for me to spend the $400 (I think?) on it when it reprints soon. My friend with the game also has every singe expansion pack and they sound incredibly expensive due to the miniature and premium appeal of the limited editions.

I'm curious if anyone knows about the development. I'm looking at the Kickstarter page and it looks like you only needed to pledge $100 to get the game. Did they honor that price? I would totally spend $100, but wow he must have been taken a loss on some customers while squeezing profits out of the big whale customers buying all expansions to cover it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Neat-looking Kickstarter by the guy who did Scrappy Reviews, one of the better-received video reviewers here. The concept looks interesting enough at least, and there is a Print and Play available as well.

Dunno if I'll back it myself since I don't play many 2-player games, but doesn't seem too shabby for a quick 2-player game. But then again, Kickstarter game and all that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kingdom Death Monster sounds rad but good god it's expensive and good god is it full of male-gaze boobies.

A review I was reading says a campaign takes 30+ hours to finish. I assume the game is played over chapters or something? How's it all work? I wish there was a discounted version without the miniatures. I'm fine with boring ol' cardboard tiles and poo poo if the gameplay is good, not really into the whole expensive warhammer miniature building aspect.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 6, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Neat-looking Kickstarter by the guy who did Scrappy Reviews, one of the better-received video reviewers here. The concept looks interesting enough at least, and there is a Print and Play available as well.

Dunno if I'll back it myself since I don't play many 2-player games, but doesn't seem too shabby for a quick 2-player game. But then again, Kickstarter game and all that.

Can't get over that terrible art direction. Who thought "LETS MAKE EVERY CART ART A CLOSE UP OF EYES" was a good idea? :psyduck:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

Can't get over that terrible art direction. Who thought "LETS MAKE EVERY CART ART A CLOSE UP OF EYES" was a good idea? :psyduck:

Eh, for a simple first effort, it has a certain visual coherence. What I don't get is how a simple card game costs fifteen grand. I mean, I'm sure it can, but sheesh.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I'm into the art style. It's visually striking and well-rendered. If I was walking by a table at my FLGS, I'd stop to look at it. Plus, a lot of poké-clones have godawful creature design, and this seems like a nice sidestep.

Also, the graphic design is great. Really clear, intuitive at a glance. I just wish they'd up the textbox opacity on the creatures with really pale fur or complex textures.

Seems like a good light filler for the BattleCON and Yomi crowds.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

KingKapalone posted:

I played Kingdom Death Monster yesterday and I was pretty impressed. Everything is very high quality and the gameplay was fun and worked well. The RPG-lite aspect was really appealing to me since my friends and I really like Eldritch Horror and a number of us play D&D.

I'm really interested by the business of the game. I don't think I place as much value on the really cool miniatures and I've never been big on collecting nerd toys, so I think it would be really hard for me to spend the $400 (I think?) on it when it reprints soon. My friend with the game also has every singe expansion pack and they sound incredibly expensive due to the miniature and premium appeal of the limited editions.

I'm curious if anyone knows about the development. I'm looking at the Kickstarter page and it looks like you only needed to pledge $100 to get the game. Did they honor that price? I would totally spend $100, but wow he must have been taken a loss on some customers while squeezing profits out of the big whale customers buying all expansions to cover it.

Didn't they make a miniature free version? The $100 might be that.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Bunch o cool stuff

I think we're on the same page here, I misunderstood what you meant at first. It's a tricky thing to add but one I'd like to see attempted, especially in a more RPG/dungeon crawl oriented game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Played the Arctic Scavengers reprint, base version with 4 other people. Seems interesting enough as a Dominion variant, but what struck me was the medicines bottleneck. The rest of the table managed one or two pill bottles, and one guy got all the medkits and trashed everyone else. Might be less of a problem with fewer players, but yeah, all we could do was look at those guys that needed 2 meds to hire.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Played the Arctic Scavengers reprint, base version with 4 other people. Seems interesting enough as a Dominion variant, but what struck me was the medicines bottleneck. The rest of the table managed one or two pill bottles, and one guy got all the medkits and trashed everyone else. Might be less of a problem with fewer players, but yeah, all we could do was look at those guys that needed 2 meds to hire.

I don't know what they were thinking not making Medics part of the basic setup.

I mean I didn't find the game that great even with Medics added in (too much randomness in what you get from the junkyard/contested resource decks, mostly uninteresting card effects, decks feel very samey), but why would you make players rely on luck of the draw to acquire an important resource?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wasnt too sure about the endgame either, again comparing to Dominion. In Dominion you're struggling to grab the last province. In this it seemed that all I was doing for the end phase was 'poo poo I cant do anything with this hand except fight?' once I got clogged up with tribals.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Lump Shaker posted:

That would be really useful, although it seems like it would be a lot of work for one person to keep updating the OP. Maybe a public google document? There is also the discord channel for planning.

What's the address for the discord channel? I just started getting back into board games and I'd definitely be up for a game planning discord server.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Baronjutter posted:

Kingdom Death Monster sounds rad but good god it's expensive and good god is it full of male-gaze boobies.

A review I was reading says a campaign takes 30+ hours to finish. I assume the game is played over chapters or something? How's it all work? I wish there was a discounted version without the miniatures. I'm fine with boring ol' cardboard tiles and poo poo if the gameplay is good, not really into the whole expensive warhammer miniature building aspect.

It's definitely a campaign. It takes place over 25 lantern years. We only did the prologue showdown, the settlement phase to finish year 1, the year 2 hunt, and the year 2 showdown. That would probably be like 3 hours.

The boobies are all optional minis and not included in the base game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
From what I understand of Kingdom Death's campaign, it's all made for you to build up your civilization's strength over the years, making them tough enough to take on the final boss.

Which apparently means that you can go through all that and just fail the final battle, which...well, that sucks.

But this is just based on what I read briefly, so perhaps I'm mistaken.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Doc Aquatic posted:

What's the address for the discord channel? I just started getting back into board games and I'd definitely be up for a game planning discord server.

Here is the link for the discord channel: https://discord.gg/z6YQNUT

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Morpheus posted:

From what I understand of Kingdom Death's campaign, it's all made for you to build up your civilization's strength over the years, making them tough enough to take on the final boss.

Which apparently means that you can go through all that and just fail the final battle, which...well, that sucks.

But this is just based on what I read briefly, so perhaps I'm mistaken.

So it's a bit like Darkest Dungeon where heroes are sort of disposable things that you can upgrade by upgrading your town?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Baronjutter posted:

So it's a bit like Darkest Dungeon where heroes are sort of disposable things that you can upgrade by upgrading your town?

I think your hero's strength and town strength are directly linked - you get bits off of dead enemies to improve I think your equipment and your civilization. You get a choice of opponent to face, and while some may be easier, they may not provide you with the materials you need to really improve your overall strength. I think survivors are more or less disposable, but losing characters means the strength of your civ is diminished somewhat.

While I really don't like the booby-filled monsters and characters, I'd be remiss to say that the other horrific designs didn't impress me. They really convey the notion of 'this world is really hosed up'. Shame there's so much luck involved with such a long campaign.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
So, have played a bit more Scythe...

Interestingly the game changes significantly depending on player count - Solo is an interesting puzzle. 2p is quite tense and confrontational, despite the board space. 3p becomes more tentative and economic. 5p is a little long, but brawly and a bit more chaotic. It's interesting at all these counts. Haven't had much chance to play with the 'Rusviet Worker Spam' strategy, but I've seen a few different factions win. I'm quite interested in exploring the game some more. I think it's a cleaner take on the Economic 3.5x ala Hyperborea and Romolo O Remo. The playtime is very speedy for the weight, and 20-25 turns seems consistent. It also seems like it'll speed up as players get more experienced and can overlap turns.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I played a 2 player game against myself when learning the rules. Crimea placed all six stars and tons of resources but had super lovely popularity (popularity determines scoring category multiplier at game end in case anyone's new to Scythe). Nordic had the Factory on the other hand but only 4 stars and max popularity - distant second on resources, etc. Territory was about the same. Crimea did at it pleased militarily once people wore down, but the one battle Nordic won was a decisive one and Nordic being able to retreat to lakes make it tough to kick them out of places. Nordic ended up winning thanks to the wide disparity in popularity. It was enough to edge them over Crimea despite a 2 star and resource stash difference.

I'm looking forward to trying my first 'real' game.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 7, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Found Brass and Keyflower on clearance locally today. Looking forward to eventually having time to break the shrink wrap and maybe even play them :toot:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Keyflower is really not bad at all to learn or teach.

Brass on the other hand :stare:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

double post

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Hauki posted:

Found Brass and Keyflower on clearance locally today. Looking forward to eventually having time to break the shrink wrap and maybe even play them :toot:

Good games, you did pretty well.

Posted about it in the level 99 thread but EXCEED is quite good. Also the new Star Trek dice co op is awful, would not recommend.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Thanks Jedit for the Via Nebula recommendation. I really enjoyed it. It certainly has a Five Tribes vibe as well as the Age of Steam/Brass connection. We only played with two players, can't wait to play with more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBag
May 18, 2006

Sounds interesting, could you give sort of an overview of how the game works? I don't really have a good impression of the mechanics from the few threads on BGG. In what way is it like Five Tribes?