Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dacap posted:

Looks like RiRi Williams won't be the new War Machine like we thought, she's the new Iron Man

http://time.com/4394478/iron-man-riri-williams-tony-stark/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Hey, this is pretty badass. Too bad Tony's gonna come back in about a year, but I mean, she looks cool and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I would like to see a Wiccan and Hulkling solo, possibly exploring married life.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Hey, this is pretty badass. Too bad Tony's gonna come back in about a year, but I mean, she looks cool and stuff.

I wonder if that means that big group shot is intentionally miscoloured? It sure as hell looked like she was War Machine, but if they planned to hold off the reveal, they might have decided not to put the red and gold on the suit for the poster.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Gaz-L posted:

I wonder if that means that big group shot is intentionally miscoloured? It sure as hell looked like she was War Machine, but if they planned to hold off the reveal, they might have decided not to put the red and gold on the suit for the poster.

I think they just had her in the homemade War Machine suit she had built that had already appeared in Iron Man. I'm sure she'll have a different armor in her own book.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

Looks like RiRi Williams won't be the new War Machine like we thought, she's the new Iron Man

http://time.com/4394478/iron-man-riri-williams-tony-stark/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Well, becoming a hologram is a very good way to become invincible, Tony.

Diet Poison posted:

They can't be telegraphing killing off Tony Stark, can they? [...] Maybe they're replacing him with a black girl in an attempt to make small minded people worldwide collapse into black holes of internet-fury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqwCejSZA28

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 6, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Well, becoming a hologram is a very good way to become invincible, Tony.

He didn't wanna change his name to The Intangible Iron Man.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
It's annoying that it's hard to tell from covers what's "real" and what's "creative/poetic license". Like from this cover one can interpret that she's going to use an armor similar to Tony's (as opposed to the one that makes her like eleven feet tall and built like a fridge) and that Tony will somehow be her AI. If they're killing Tony or putting him into a coma or having him go to Tibet to find himself, I really hope they keep him "around" as Riri's JARVIS. Cause, I mean, I like Tony Stark more than I like Iron Man. Thor is Thor and Steve Rogers is Cap even when he isn't. But Stark the human is, more than those two, a character that can step outside his Super Suit. Someone else could be Iron Man and I wouldn't give a poo poo as long as I could still read a book where Tony Stark is a smug rich guy with insane technology and an irreverent attitude. And whether he's a person or a hyperrealistic hologram AI of his own design really doesn't matter as much to me.

e: I hope she's gay. Let's aim for max headsplosions here.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 6, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
"Tony AI is Riri's JARVIS" is exactly what I took away from that cover, for what it's worth.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CapnAndy posted:

"Tony AI is Riri's JARVIS" is exactly what I took away from that cover, for what it's worth.

Which would be a good way to actually establish RiRi as the new status quo IM, removing Tony Stark as Iron Man but keeping him around in an advisory capacity.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It's kind of a shame because I like the current AI he has. Bendis writes a good snark and Tony creating an AI that sasses him is great.

This is better than her being War Machine and the only problem I have is that backstory involved her stealing a bunch of tech from other students. Couldn't she just have gotten it legitimately? Is it that necessary to her story that she had to steal stuff, instead of avoiding the "black people steal everything" trope?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Goddamnit Nick Spencer who let you write this atrocious line of dialog.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You know that the credits at the front of the book list the editors, right?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

PaybackJack posted:

It's kind of a shame because I like the current AI he has. Bendis writes a good snark and Tony creating an AI that sasses him is great.

This is better than her being War Machine and the only problem I have is that backstory involved her stealing a bunch of tech from other students. Couldn't she just have gotten it legitimately? Is it that necessary to her story that she had to steal stuff, instead of avoiding the "black people steal everything" trope?

At least it's a actual moral flaw in the character, we barely get those anymore. It'd be nice to have actual feet of clay instead of the new standard of life just making GBS threads on perfect people.

I'm still betting they'll be a reveal that she just stole back everything she used after the ideas were stolen from her.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Dacap posted:

Sorry, who is this? I've just got done with the first story arc of Invincible Iron Man and I don't remember this person showing up. Is she new?

Edit: never mind, just read the article. I thought that "kid at MIT reverse-engineered my armour" was just a throwaway line. That's interesting.

I can't get over how she looks exactly like Garnet minus the glasses.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 6, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nilbop posted:

Sorry, who is this? I've just got done with the first story arc of Invincible Iron Man and I don't remember this person showing up. Is she new?

Time to get on the second arc!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

X-O posted:

Time to get on the second arc!

Honestly the art is putting me off. I grew up reading UK comics and having the artist change so often kinda bugs me.

I'll give it a go though. I've enjoyed the introduction of Miles, Kamala and new Thor into the Marvel world so I'm optimistic about this. It definitely seems more organic than DC's approach to integrating female and ethnic characters, which a friend described to me as shoving Cyborg on the cover and doing nothing with him. Caveat; I don't read DC so that might just be petty slagging.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
My only concern is how she will get all that awesome hair in that helmet.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I hope she takes the name Iron Man and keeps it after Stark comes back to the suit, like how Kate Bishop is Hawkeye.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I do wonder what she'll go by. Iron Woman doesn't really roll of the tongue, Iron Lady evokes Margaret Thatcher, Iron Girl is probably dismissive even though she's like 16.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plus giving her another name undermines the point of doing this in the first place.

I might consider accepting Iron Maiden for the \m/ factor. Making her a young black woman who's a metalhead would be an interesting character trait too, come to think of it. They most certainly exist in real life and need more representation in fiction!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Did Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur get any better? I liked the premise but the first couple issues were meh and I dropped it. Did it get any better or find it's footing?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Iron Maiden. Even has the classic rock tie-in with the movies.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

I do wonder what she'll go by. Iron Woman doesn't really roll of the tongue, Iron Lady evokes Margaret Thatcher, Iron Girl is probably dismissive even though she's like 16.

She'll call herself Fe-Male

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

I hope she takes the name Iron Man and keeps it after Stark comes back to the suit, like how Kate Bishop is Hawkeye.

Lady Iron Man.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Iron Man Girl.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lady Tony Stank.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Tony Stark Woman

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

So I have a question, something in the two totally unrelated Civil War tie-ins this week confused me.

In Civil War II: Kingpin 1, this guy is at a group of criminal boss types, he has some kind of fire powers or something.

Then in Civil War II: X-Men 2, this guy is in New Attilan:

Are these the same guy? Who the hell is he, and why is he in these two very unrelated places?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

enigmahfc posted:

My only concern is how she will get all that awesome hair in that helmet.

Better yet what kind of sound effect will the artist draw the first time she takes the helmet off and that hair do opens up like an umbrella.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JoshTheStampede posted:

I do kinda hope she tries Iron Lady first and some English friend of hers is all 'nah, nah not that trust me'.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Trast posted:

Better yet what kind of sound effect will the artist draw the first time she takes the helmet off and that hair do opens up like an umbrella.

The helmet contains a small portal to the Negative Zone so her hair just hangs out in an alternate dimension while she's wearing it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gilok posted:

So I have a question, something in the two totally unrelated Civil War tie-ins this week confused me.

In Civil War II: Kingpin 1, this guy is at a group of criminal boss types, he has some kind of fire powers or something.

Then in Civil War II: X-Men 2, this guy is in New Attilan:

Are these the same guy? Who the hell is he, and why is he in these two very unrelated places?

That's Inferno from the Inhumans.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This week in Marvel:

Captain America Sam Wilson: Probably the standout issue this week, a great (and creepily prescient) issue dovetailing both its police brutality storyline and the buildup to CWII in a strong and cohesive way. Pick up this issue even if you don't normally read this book, because it's both incredibly well-written and timely. Also I enjoy how it paints Tony Stark as "right but a dick". It respects both arguments, presents them both well (including a standout page where Tony and Carol present their differing arguments simultaneously in a way that expresses why the divide is deep enough to go to war over), and is a brilliant, timely comic.

Deadpool - Too Soon?: Pretty great Infinite comic, pick it up if you don't normally read Marvel's digital-only offerings, it's a funny as hell book.

Invincible Iron Man: It's more Iron Man, not great but not like obscenely terrible. Good motivations for why Tony goes so deeply off the deep end in CWII but definitely inessential.

Spider-Woman: Looks like Jessica Drew is gonna be crucial to the Cap Marvel side of CWII, which is pretty goddamn neat. The CWII tie-ins were all at the end of the story, but it's all setting up for the next issue which looks to have it boil over with how Jessica's gonna be the one confirming or denying the validity of Ulysses.

Totally Awesome Hulk: Really, really strong issue and if the rumors are true, what they'll be doing in CWII is gonna have massive ramifications on TAH. Beyond that though, it's just a really well-constructed and strong self-contained story with the new hulk meeting the old one and sharing his fears about the monster he might be becoming.

Vote Loki: The black comedy political satire is so cutting and honest it's actually difficult to read, since it's such an accurate mirror of contemporary political discourse.

Civil War Minis:

Kingpin 1 is a pretty strong start to what looks to be a very good mini, painting Captain Marvel's side in an even further negative light (while still making Kingpin into an utter, utter scumbag). Looks to be a fantastic mini.

X-Men 2 surprises me by how good of a mini it is (considering how much I dislike X-Books), but it's really fun wrangling and subterfuge while illustrating the mutant/Inhuman fallout over Ulysses really well. Strong mini as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

Lady Tony Stank.

:golfclap:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ed: nope

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 7, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm having Teen Tony flashbacks.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

X-O posted:

That's Inferno from the Inhumans.

Ok so what did I miss, why is he a criminal now?

Edit: none of the "nu-humans" except Ms Marvel have made any kind of impression on me at all and I forget them the instant I stop looking at a picture of them.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 7, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

This week in Marvel:

Captain America Sam Wilson: Probably the standout issue this week, a great (and creepily prescient) issue dovetailing both its police brutality storyline and the buildup to CWII in a strong and cohesive way. Pick up this issue even if you don't normally read this book, because it's both incredibly well-written and timely. Also I enjoy how it paints Tony Stark as "right but a dick". It respects both arguments, presents them both well (including a standout page where Tony and Carol present their differing arguments simultaneously in a way that expresses why the divide is deep enough to go to war over), and is a brilliant, timely comic.

Deadpool - Too Soon?: Pretty great Infinite comic, pick it up if you don't normally read Marvel's digital-only offerings, it's a funny as hell book.

Invincible Iron Man: It's more Iron Man, not great but not like obscenely terrible. Good motivations for why Tony goes so deeply off the deep end in CWII but definitely inessential.

Spider-Woman: Looks like Jessica Drew is gonna be crucial to the Cap Marvel side of CWII, which is pretty goddamn neat. The CWII tie-ins were all at the end of the story, but it's all setting up for the next issue which looks to have it boil over with how Jessica's gonna be the one confirming or denying the validity of Ulysses.

Totally Awesome Hulk: Really, really strong issue and if the rumors are true, what they'll be doing in CWII is gonna have massive ramifications on TAH. Beyond that though, it's just a really well-constructed and strong self-contained story with the new hulk meeting the old one and sharing his fears about the monster he might be becoming.

Vote Loki: The black comedy political satire is so cutting and honest it's actually difficult to read, since it's such an accurate mirror of contemporary political discourse.

Civil War Minis:

Kingpin 1 is a pretty strong start to what looks to be a very good mini, painting Captain Marvel's side in an even further negative light (while still making Kingpin into an utter, utter scumbag). Looks to be a fantastic mini.

X-Men 2 surprises me by how good of a mini it is (considering how much I dislike X-Books), but it's really fun wrangling and subterfuge while illustrating the mutant/Inhuman fallout over Ulysses really well. Strong mini as well.

You, and everyone else interested in Civil War II should be reading the Ulysses Infinite Comic. It's by Al Ewing so of course it's good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

You, and everyone else interested in Civil War II should be reading the Ulysses Infinite Comic. It's by Al Ewing so of course it's good.

I am, and I actually really like it too but it's barely CWII related so far. And is actually glossed over within the bounds of CWII proper with Ulysses going "Karnak's teaching me how to be better at my job".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Speaking of... did the Karnak book actually get cancelled?

• Locked thread