Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes which is why I said about 9k!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
im going to cry

isnt that super popular male voice actor in this game? maybe they need to advertise that

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

What, Sugita? It's harder to find a piece of media which he isn't in

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

iirc due to VA union rules in Japan the more famous voice actors aren't actually much better paid compared to less well known actors, so it's not that weird to see popular seiyuu in more budget/niche projects

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I don't want Uchikoshi to be sad. His twitter is too cute

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

That of course doesn't include the handheld versions though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Terper posted:

What, Sugita? It's harder to find a piece of media which he isn't in

You act like that's a bad thing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Akira Ishida and Maaya Sakamoto as Eric and Mira was pretty hilarious to be honest.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Finished the game. Mostly loved it, and I'm glad this is the last one. I feel like another in the same storyline would've stretched things too thin. Before i put my random thoughts, random question that's bugging me:

Why did Diana unleash Radical-6 in the VLR ending? She knows exactly what she's doing, and she doesn't bother to go "HEY THESE GUYS GOT A CRAZY DIESASE MIGHT WANNA QUARANTINE THESE FOLKS" or you know anything but "well I guess I killed humanity". I don't think she gets MIND HACKED, either. Did she get radical-6 in the timeframe of going up the elevator?

Also mind hacking is funny and all I have is visions of Delta acting like Mentok the Mindtaker... but with MIND HACKING!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I mean Phi did tell them to kill her and burn her corpse

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I keep thinking about it and I still don't buy into the moral dilemma that supposedly comes with SHIFTing.

Imagine you buy a lottery ticket with random numbers. It's a dud. Bummer.

The next day you're walking to work and get hit by a bus and die. Double bummer!

But what if you SHIFT back to before you bought the lottery ticket? Now you're able to win the lottery and avoid getting hit with the knowledge you have from the morphogenetic field.

Without SHIFTing, you only have one 'Poor Marty' timeline. With SHIFTing, now you have a 'Poor Marty' and 'Rich Marty' you. This new timeline wouldn't have been possible without the foreknowledge you obtained after going back in time.

Isn't this basically a net positive overall? Wouldn't it be worth it to sacrifice one or a few Poor Marties if it meant preventing something like nuclear war or even a virus outbreak? At worst, it's a morally gray necessary evil, a lot more people have suffered and died in wars and other things done to try and make a new better future.

On that note, I'd like to see a non-ZE game dealing with geopolitics and timeline jumping, that'd be interesting to see.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The final choice of Zero Escape being the moral dilemma of swapping places with alternate timeline versions of yourself to save your own rear end is simply ridiculous.

Especially because you did it all the time in VLR and nobody cared.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Dragongem posted:

Finished the game. Mostly loved it, and I'm glad this is the last one. I feel like another in the same storyline would've stretched things too thin. Before i put my random thoughts, random question that's bugging me:

Why did Diana unleash Radical-6 in the VLR ending? She knows exactly what she's doing, and she doesn't bother to go "HEY THESE GUYS GOT A CRAZY DIESASE MIGHT WANNA QUARANTINE THESE FOLKS" or you know anything but "well I guess I killed humanity". I don't think she gets MIND HACKED, either. Did she get radical-6 in the timeframe of going up the elevator?

Also mind hacking is funny and all I have is visions of Delta acting like Mentok the Mindtaker... but with MIND HACKING!

I assume she thinks in the rush to get them medical treatment they won't quarantine Phi, which means she's going to infect everyone else.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

voltcatfish posted:

The final choice of Zero Escape being the moral dilemma of swapping places with alternate timeline versions of yourself to save your own rear end is simply ridiculous.

Especially because you did it all the time in VLR and nobody cared.

To be fair, Sigma and Phi didn't know they were SHIFTing til near the end of the game. The few times that they are, they aren't really fully aware of the ramifications of their actions, since nobody's around to explain it to them.

The only people that actually knew what was going on were Tenmyouji, Old Sigma and Akane. Tenmyouji's forgotten most of the events at DCOM, and Old Sigma and Akane had to preserve the timeline.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
SHIFTing in general seems different from how it was in the other two games. In 999 it didn't even seem like Junpei had the ability at all, it was his link with Akane (who could do it herself) that gave him knowledge he shouldn't know. In VLR it felt more like it was the Sigma of each timeline gaining the knowledge of other Sigmas (so instead of Rich M or Poor M, it was Rich M + Poor M) until they dropped that ridiculous 45 year plan on him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Momomo posted:

SHIFTing in general seems different from how it was in the other two games. In 999 it didn't even seem like Junpei had the ability at all, it was his link with Akane (who could do it herself) that gave him knowledge he shouldn't know. In VLR it felt more like it was the Sigma of each timeline gaining the knowledge of other Sigmas (so instead of Rich M or Poor M, it was Rich M + Poor M) until they dropped that ridiculous 45 year plan on him.

You could use the argument that Carlos/Akane are stronger SHIFTers than Sigma/Phi; there are several times in VLR where Sigma gains knowledge without being aware of how he's gotten it. Whereas in Team C they're just bunnyhopping timelines to gain knowledge.

Sigma also rarely consciously jumps, the only time he does so in VLR is towards the end of the Phi route.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh right RIP Quark who probably won't exist in the final "happy" timeline

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, part of the theme of this game was "if I split my consciousness, what determines which one I perceive myself to be?" which happens both when Sean presses the button to create a happy VR clone and when Diana and Sigma use the transporter. This is thematically related to Shifting changing people's identities. Zero's answer is of course "life is simply unfair." Keep in mind that in VLR Sigma is implied to be following events in the exact same order the player chooses (ignore Blick Winkel for the moment), so it's basically a uninterrupted consciousness. Junpei and Akane never had these powers at all, of course, and simply awakened to them right now because RESONANCE which was a bit silly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Junpei talked about exactly that at the end of VLR.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

Quark's birth parents were finally able to start that root beer factory business like they'd always dreamed, on some prime real estate right next to the antimatter power plant

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I keep thinking about it and I still don't buy into the moral dilemma that supposedly comes with SHIFTing.

Imagine you buy a lottery ticket with random numbers. It's a dud. Bummer.

The next day you're walking to work and get hit by a bus and die. Double bummer!

But what if you SHIFT back to before you bought the lottery ticket? Now you're able to win the lottery and avoid getting hit with the knowledge you have from the morphogenetic field.

Without SHIFTing, you only have one 'Poor Marty' timeline. With SHIFTing, now you have a 'Poor Marty' and 'Rich Marty' you. This new timeline wouldn't have been possible without the foreknowledge you obtained after going back in time.

Isn't this basically a net positive overall? Wouldn't it be worth it to sacrifice one or a few Poor Marties if it meant preventing something like nuclear war or even a virus outbreak? At worst, it's a morally gray necessary evil, a lot more people have suffered and died in wars and other things done to try and make a new better future.

On that note, I'd like to see a non-ZE game dealing with geopolitics and timeline jumping, that'd be interesting to see.

You can't start with only one timeline. Remember the three dice fragment? There was a 1/216 chance to get three 1s, but because infinite worlds, etc, there's a timeline where C team did get three 1s. Similarly, in your example, there is a timeline where you do win the lottery. Also, there's a world/timeline where you didn't get hit by the bus, maybe because you won the lottery and decided to quit your job, or someone kidnapped you to take place in some sort of death game with 11 participants, or someone kidnapped the bus driver, etc.

So without SHIFTing, you have infinite timelines, where everything that is possible happens. With SHIFTing, you have even more infinite timelines. If SHIFTing is possible, every version of you has been SHIFTed into by some other version of you, in some timeline.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Junpei talked about exactly that at the end of VLR.

Given Junpei's (well, Tenmyouji's) biker story and his platitudes on why Poor Marty timelines are still important too in VLR, I think the moral dilemma around jumping timelines near the end of ZTD would have been more consistent if that all came from Junpei mainly.

But even then, Junpei is the one jumping (:v:) the gun to vote for executing the other team or to press the shower button to save his own skin, so I don't really know what the gently caress to say.

E: Also, if part of the reason Delta allowed the virus to spread was to kill the unnamed terrorist on the off-chance Radical-6 is mostly effective and prevent the complete extinction of humanity (which still doesn't seem consistent given his supposed misanthropic motivation to set up Free the Soul in the first place as Brother), why didn't he just ask Junpei for help as a professional detective and track him down? The anti-matter reactors get detonated anyways in the Radical-6 outcome too! It just still feels really flimsy writing-wise.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 7, 2016

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Arbitrary Number posted:

You can't start with only one timeline. Remember the three dice fragment? There was a 1/216 chance to get three 1s, but because infinite worlds, etc, there's a timeline where C team did get three 1s. Similarly, in your example, there is a timeline where you do win the lottery. Also, there's a world/timeline where you didn't get hit by the bus, maybe because you won the lottery and decided to quit your job, or someone kidnapped you to take place in some sort of death game with 11 participants, or someone kidnapped the bus driver, etc.

So without SHIFTing, you have infinite timelines, where everything that is possible happens. With SHIFTing, you have even more infinite timelines. If SHIFTing is possible, every version of you has been SHIFTed into by some other version of you, in some timeline.

That's an interesting question I kinda had regarding shifting and carlos specifically. So during the segment where sigma's dying he says "My shift connection's been cut"

Wait a minute, So that means the consiousness of sigma that CAN shift just went "peace out bitches" and left. But there's still a consiousness there that isnt' like "holy poo poo who are you why am I stabbed and dying what's going on aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Not only that, doesn't that mean at the end of the day that there's a list of consiousness for any people (an infinite list for infinite universes I would assume) that has a priority of shifting? Since carlos during the akane ending goes from morning the loss of akane to getting shifted and is a different person.

Carlos from other timeline shifted into akanecarlos, could that have worked in reverse? Can any shifter shift into themselves at any point? What happens if a shift tries to shift out from dying and then another shift tries to shift into the shift to avoid dying and shiftingshififtashsdfaisdfaojisdfioasdjfasdjlkf

if there's infinite timelines, there's infinite consiousnesses and infinite versions of one person who can shift. Is being a shifter just being higher on the priority of "this guy is allowed in these bodies" or is this just a poorly explained mechanic to try and explain something they had in a past game and go "wait this was poorly explained let's try explain it oh we poo poo our pants"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I also think Uchikoshi et al wrote themselves into a corner with the Final Decision Game. The writing already blows its dramatic tension load by testing the morality of the player of having to choose between killing 6 other people to escape or refusing to comply and dying or being stuck in the bomb shelter forever, so when it comes to ***THE FINAL DECISION*** it feels like the writers went "uhhhhh what else can we use as a dramatic device?" and went with the least bad option writing-wise they had left to use.

E: ^^^

Could a SHIFTer theoretically jump too far back in time and end up switching consciousnesses with their infant self by accident? It'd be amusing/horrifying to see a twenty-something guy suddenly revert to their gurgling baby mindset.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 7, 2016

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Given Junpei's (well, Tenmyouji's) biker story and his platitudes on why Poor Marty timelines are still important too in VLR, I think the moral dilemma around jumping timelines near the end of ZTD would have been more consistent if that all came from Junpei mainly.

But even then, Junpei is the one jumping (:v:) the gun to vote for executing the other team or to press the shower button to save his own skin, so I don't really know what the gently caress to say.

To be fair, 45 years and parenthood will do a lot to change a guy's priorities, especially since ZTD Junpei is in full edgelord mode.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

dmboogie posted:

To be fair, 45 years and parenthood will do a lot to change a guy's priorities, especially since ZTD Junpei is in full edgelord mode.

I was thinking more in terms as a call-back to VLR, but that makes sense.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Forer posted:

That's an interesting question I kinda had regarding shifting and carlos specifically. So during the segment where sigma's dying he says "My shift connection's been cut"

Wait a minute, So that means the consiousness of sigma that CAN shift just went "peace out bitches" and left. But there's still a consiousness there that isnt' like "holy poo poo who are you why am I stabbed and dying what's going on aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Not only that, doesn't that mean at the end of the day that there's a list of consiousness for any people (an infinite list for infinite universes I would assume) that has a priority of shifting? Since carlos during the akane ending goes from morning the loss of akane to getting shifted and is a different person.

Carlos from other timeline shifted into akanecarlos, could that have worked in reverse? Can any shifter shift into themselves at any point? What happens if a shift tries to shift out from dying and then another shift tries to shift into the shift to avoid dying and shiftingshififtashsdfaisdfaojisdfioasdjfasdjlkf

if there's infinite timelines, there's infinite consiousnesses and infinite versions of one person who can shift. Is being a shifter just being higher on the priority of "this guy is allowed in these bodies" or is this just a poorly explained mechanic to try and explain something they had in a past game and go "wait this was poorly explained let's try explain it oh we poo poo our pants"
I interpreted that as him saying he can't SHIFT because he's dying, but that kind of makes sense. So after you SHIFT once you can't just keep SHIFTing a bunch of times until whatever was putting you in danger kills you.
They don't really explain what happens to the bodies/consciousness after they SHIFT out. Do they do that in VLR? It'd be kind of funny if right after someone SHIFTed in, they were themselves replaced by another version who SHIFTed in. Like instant karma.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Arbitrary Number posted:

I interpreted that as him saying he can't SHIFT because he's dying, but that kind of makes sense. So after you SHIFT once you can't just keep SHIFTing a bunch of times until whatever was putting you in danger kills you.
They don't really explain what happens to the bodies/consciousness after they SHIFT out. Do they do that in VLR? It'd be kind of funny if right after someone SHIFTed in, they were themselves replaced by another version who SHIFTed in. Like instant karma.

I'd imagine with the analogy they used, the extra consciousness would SHIFT back into the body that was about to die.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

I'd imagine with the analogy they used, the extra consciousness would SHIFT back into the body that was about to die.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. So then my question is can they just keep on SHIFTing each other until there's no time left like a game of hot potato? Or is it implied that once they SHIFT out whoever was SHIFTed in can't SHIFT anymore and immediately dies?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

voltcatfish posted:

Betcha Old Akane will clone him through the transporter. Hope you like adopting Junpei!

Cake Attack posted:

Japan has better taste then fail westerners, this is just our broken clock moment

Which country has pachislots again?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Arbitrary Number posted:

well if VLR is anything to go by, they would swap

Sigma wakes up in 2060 or when ever, but not because he was in cryosleep or because he shifted, but because his older version of himself shifted into his younger body in 2028.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Arbitrary Number posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about that. So then my question is can they just keep on SHIFTing each other until there's no time left like a game of hot potato? Or is it implied that once they SHIFT out whoever was SHIFTed in can't SHIFT anymore and immediately dies?

It would have been interesting/horrifying to see Reverie Syndrome to play a more direct role in ZTD versus just being a macguffin off-screen with Carlos's sister, like maybe multiple jumps are made to a single point on the timeline and collide, causing one of the participants to freak out and have a seizure or fall into a coma.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Just finished this. I enjoyed it but it felt sloppier than VLR and MINDO HAKKU blows.

^^^ maybe Eric/Mira could have developed it rather than just getting a free ride to the true ending

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 7, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

dyzzy posted:

Just finished this. I enjoyed it but it felt sloppier than VLR and MINDO HAKKU blows.

^^^ maybe Eric/Mira could have developed it rather than just getting a free ride to the true ending

On that note, why couldn't Delta just SHIFT like Mira and Eric did by being in the vicinity of other SHIFTers? I think even non-SHIFTers can do that.

Or not? I don't know, gently caress it.

The writing is sloppy by the end, I agree. ZTD is best at the middle with all of the death decision games going on and what it does well it does phenomenally; it's just unfortunate the ending bits sour the game on retrospect.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I mean, from Quark's point of view he's just gonna keep on living in VLR Earth and chilling with his grandpa, he's really one of the only people who isn't getting screwed.

Also, I'm glad we're now in a timeline where Clover didn't disappear without Snake ever getting any closure or knowing why she vanished. :smith:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dragongem posted:

I think there's 2 reasons for this: One being that they needed that timeline to go down anyway for the events here to take place at all. There was also a file log about it saying that the virus didn't kill the 6 billion people, it was the bombs setup across the world to try and stop it.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Zero Escape 4: Turns Out Several of the 6 Billion People We Saved Were Assholes And Now Somebody Else is Doing a Nonary Game

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

*someone pulls a flawless anagram of the title out of their rear end after glancing in its direction*

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I was joking about it at first but I think I convinced myself in the process, I feel like ZE3 was at the least setting up the option for an insanely cool ZE4 set somewhere in the 1920s. Did anyone else get that sense?

It could have young Delta, Left, 1904 Phi, Gordain, the Gigantic, and transporter/alien shenanigans like mad. You could address some longstanding series backstory, give Delta a lot more substance as a character, go into more detail about the founding of free the soul, but also set up and explore new things without having to be shackled to the existing cast as much as ZE3 was and a straight sequel probably would be.

Twist: All-ice turns out to actually be VLR Alice, sent too far back in time by whatever timey bullshit Akane was cooking up in the VLR epilogue. Clover's back too for this reason. Uchikoshi this is writing itself :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

I just finished this, and knowing Phi is Sigma's daughter makes a lot of their interactions in VLR feel so inappropriate :stare:

I also have to wonder why they "upgraded" the graphics for this game to appeal to newcomers when the plot would be absolutely incomprehensible to anyone who hadn't played both 999 and VLR.

• Locked thread