Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I have spent ALL day, so far, trying to figure out this problem with our VoIP system. Each office has a Cisco UC and there is a routed extension between them so you don't have to dial out to reach the other side. Now if I call from A to B, everything rings normally and redirects to voicemail after the no-answer timeout. If I call from B to A, everything rings normally, but after the no-answer timeout the call drops due to an unknown extension when it redirects to voicemail. This is the ONLY direction this problem occurs in, but it occurs 100% of the time. External dialing doesn't experience it either.

Clearly this points me at some tiny little gently caress-up in a config somewhere, but I can't find anything that stands out. I'm going crazy while I dig around for this little loving typo or something and just ugh.

Without knowing your topology it sounds like site b might not be configured for unity connection. Of you're using CME it may be possible that your cfna is incorrect on one of the sites. Could be a lot of things really but impossible to say without more detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Had to help someone find a file that went missing, so I dug into their home directory. Inside was this gem of folders.

..\Year 10\year 10\year ten\y10\year 10\Year 10\10\Year 10\

gently caress off.

year doesn't even look like a real word anymore.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Got called about a job positon. Tier 1 helpdesk, basic break/fix focusing on microsoft office, sounds easy, fits my skills...

... they want 7-10 years of experience. :wtf:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like a miscommunication between the person who needs the job filled and the HR person that listed the position because there's no way the sincerely expect a veteran to run around helping people with Office.

Either the job is way more than that, or they just picked a default value for experience.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

xzzy posted:

Sounds like a miscommunication between the person who needs the job filled and the HR person that listed the position because there's no way the sincerely expect a veteran to run around helping people with Office.

Either the job is way more than that, or they just picked a default value for experience.

My best guess is it's that, because I checked the original posting and it says 2, which I still think is high but is way more reasonable.

e: either that or the manager i just spoke to was trying to intimidate me into taking less pay or something

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

President Ark posted:

My best guess is it's that, because I checked the original posting and it says 2, which I still think is high but is way more reasonable.

e: either that or the manager i just spoke to was trying to intimidate me into taking less pay or something

Asking for someone with 7-10 years' experience who wants a tier 1 help desk position is asking for a broken shell of a person.

I might have said that word for word if I heard a person say that figure instead of just reading it on a job posting.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 6, 2016

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Yeah, bounced an email off the person I originally spoke to and he said it's 2. Dunno what that other person was talking about. :shrug:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

poo poo pissing me off today (and everyday): People passing the buck/Being needlessly obtuse and difficult.

I have a STUPID SIMPLE CHANGE that I need made to a webapp, it's literally changing a hostname from 3 letters to 4 different letters, but I can't do it as I don't have access. I've talked to probably 10 different people that COULD do it, but they all point to someone else as the "owner". I've now gone full-circle back to the first person I talked to. Look, I get it, sometimes poo poo isn't in your wheelhouse or you're not supposed to gently caress with it, but for fucks sake if SOMEONE doesn't do this, a whole project is going to get held up and it's way worse for the project to get held up than the SLIM possibility someone will complain that X made a change when he isn't supposed to be the owner.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Send an email all of them informing them of the change they need to make, copy your manager and theirs, and then assume it was done because you're no longer discussing it.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Welp, my job just up'ed the suckage. Starting soon we will have to conform to designated schedule. Right now we all have schedules that we keep, but in order to make sure that everything is covered, ie, they don't have enough people, they are putting in specific shifts. Unfortunately, only one shift is what I would consider a weekday M-F shift (one that if you had a family would allow you to see them), and it is timed for east coast, which means to work weekDAYs I have to get up ungodly early, if I am allowed to work the shift at all.

More fun is that they are trying to spread out skill sets, so if you busted your butt and got training or certs in specific things, you now have even less of a chance of working a 'normal' schedule. The good news is you can probably get a new job with your new skills.

My resume is starting to look shiny.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Welp, my job just up'ed the suckage. Starting soon we will have to conform to designated schedule. Right now we all have schedules that we keep, but in order to make sure that everything is covered, ie, they don't have enough people, they are putting in specific shifts. Unfortunately, only one shift is what I would consider a weekday M-F shift (one that if you had a family would allow you to see them), and it is timed for east coast, which means to work weekDAYs I have to get up ungodly early, if I am allowed to work the shift at all.

More fun is that they are trying to spread out skill sets, so if you busted your butt and got training or certs in specific things, you now have even less of a chance of working a 'normal' schedule. The good news is you can probably get a new job with your new skills.

My resume is starting to look shiny.

Once your company mentions "swing shifts" laugh at them and just quit.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sickening posted:

Once your company mentions "swing shifts" laugh at them and just quit.

It's even worse, most shifts are 4 10's that include Saturday and Sunday and start as early as 5 am. Someone crunched some numbers and decided that that was what was needed without thinking about whether people would want/be able to work such shifts.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SubjectVerbObject posted:

It's even worse, most shifts are 4 10's that include Saturday and Sunday and start as early as 5 am. Someone crunched some numbers and decided that that was what was needed without thinking about whether people would want/be able to work such shifts.

4 10's is actually pretty great. For that to be over the weekend though, not so much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Schedules like that are generated by closeted homebodies that are incapable of registering that social activities exist or are clustered around Saturday/Sunday.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

4 10's is actually pretty great. For that to be over the weekend though, not so much.

Started working four 10s last week, with Fridays off. Got a three day work week this week due to 4th of July. :dance:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sickening posted:

Yeah, 4 10s with a 3 day weekend would be great, but it is either Sa -Tu or Th-Su. But don't worry, you could also work 1-10 MF. I notice that there is a one hour overlap in most shifts. Obviously we will soon be in handoff hell, where customers get passed around the clock even though all they want is a familiar voice who knows their systems to tell them what they need to do.

edit, I'm not a grocer.

SubjectVerbObject fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 6, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

Schedules like that are generated by closeted homebodies that are incapable of registering that social activities exist or are clustered around Saturday/Sunday.

They are generated by people who will never have to work them.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Does somebody have handy the KB for that full screen Windows 10 upgrade reminder? Had it pop up a couple times and need to figure out why it slipped through the cracks.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Does somebody have handy the KB for that full screen Windows 10 upgrade reminder? Had it pop up a couple times and need to figure out why it slipped through the cracks.
A google search for "windows 10 fullscreen reminder kb" comes up with that KB page in the first hit.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

MF_James posted:

poo poo pissing me off today (and everyday): People passing the buck/Being needlessly obtuse and difficult.

I have a STUPID SIMPLE CHANGE that I need made to a webapp, it's literally changing a hostname from 3 letters to 4 different letters, but I can't do it as I don't have access. I've talked to probably 10 different people that COULD do it, but they all point to someone else as the "owner". I've now gone full-circle back to the first person I talked to. Look, I get it, sometimes poo poo isn't in your wheelhouse or you're not supposed to gently caress with it, but for fucks sake if SOMEONE doesn't do this, a whole project is going to get held up and it's way worse for the project to get held up than the SLIM possibility someone will complain that X made a change when he isn't supposed to be the owner.

If you're asking the wrong person then passing the buck isn't the problem. What if the person you're asking has enough access to change the hostname, but doesn't have access to change the config of the monitoring system? Now you have a project critical host which is running for now but isn't being monitored correctly, and who is going to get poo poo on when it breaks? If there's a problem with a process then you have to escalate upwards, dealing solely with people who implement the process is only going to get one or both of you in trouble further down the line.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Thanks Thanks Ants!

Re: Airprint. It turns out multicast wasn't enabled on the access points and the printer wasn't on the right VLAN. Hopefully this will keep the executive suite off my sack for a little bit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Had to help someone find a file that went missing, so I dug into their home directory. Inside was this gem of folders.

..\Year 10\year 10\year ten\y10\year 10\Year 10\10\Year 10\

gently caress off.

year doesn't even look like a real word anymore.

I had the same ticket come in this morning, only instead of finding convoluted backups I found.... no backups. No backups at all.

poo poo that pisses me off: my boss went on vacation and I discovered we have no backups of the file server or our EHR DB.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Scikar posted:

If you're asking the wrong person then passing the buck isn't the problem. What if the person you're asking has enough access to change the hostname, but doesn't have access to change the config of the monitoring system? Now you have a project critical host which is running for now but isn't being monitored correctly, and who is going to get poo poo on when it breaks? If there's a problem with a process then you have to escalate upwards, dealing solely with people who implement the process is only going to get one or both of you in trouble further down the line.

Well, it's a device we are working on decomming, I need this change made so I can move forward with getting rid of it, the change we are making will not affect monitoring or any poo poo like that, and all of these guys have access to make the change but no one wants to take responsibility. By hostname, what I meant was a host name that a process on it is looking at.

Whatever, I don't care all that much, if my clients want to put up artificial road blocks that's fine, the poo poo they want done won't get done.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Ftfy

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MF_James posted:

Well, it's a device we are working on decomming, I need this change made so I can move forward with getting rid of it, the change we are making will not affect monitoring or any poo poo like that, and all of these guys have access to make the change but no one wants to take responsibility. By hostname, what I meant was a host name that a process on it is looking at.

Whatever, I don't care all that much, if my clients want to put up artificial road blocks that's fine, the poo poo they want done won't get done.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I got woken up at 2am for a ticket even though I'm not the primary. Primary won't respond to texts and I ended up having to do it because it's a doctor and I can't blow it off.

He was off for Eid, during the day . There was no conversation about after hours and frankly I don't give a gently caress if he thinks it includes on call too. I was on call for memorial day and 4th of July and I took care of it just fine.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

President Ark posted:

Yeah, bounced an email off the person I originally spoke to and he said it's 2. Dunno what that other person was talking about. :shrug:

They might simply mean 7-10 years using MS Office. In thinking about this I just realized I have 25 years experience using Office. Yeesh.

(Edit): On the 4-10s thing, a week's vacation can be an extra day with that schedule. On a 5-8s a week off is nine days, but a week off with 4-10s is those four days with three at each end. This works whether your employer views vacation as hours or whole days, though of course it also needs your four work days to be together in a single block.

Oddhair fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 7, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

skooma512 posted:

I got woken up at 2am for a ticket even though I'm not the primary. Primary won't respond to texts and I ended up having to do it because it's a doctor and I can't blow it off.

He was off for Eid, during the day . There was no conversation about after hours and frankly I don't give a gently caress if he thinks it includes on call too. I was on call for memorial day and 4th of July and I took care of it just fine.

He should have pre-arranged that time off (even though it's based on a Non-Julian calendar, so it varies somehow). Even so, it's one of the holiest holidays for Islam. I can't really blame the guy for taking it off - just not pre-arranging it.

Also, isn't it specifically a holiday celebrating eating during the day after fasting dawn to dusk for a month? Why wouldn't you celebrate that during the day?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I worked for a year as a aircraft mech at Bombardier for a while, and they worked a really interesting schedule.

You worked 12 hour days, three one week, four the next. Wed-Sat, then Thus-Sat, 7-7, then the other crew worked 7-7 Sun-Wed and Sun-Tue. I really liked it. The off week you hit 48 hours, and were guaranteed overtime. They didn't hassle about paying it, and it was a nice little bump to your income. They always were cool about you taking those 8 hours off, so you should come in an hour late and leave an hour early. I had the day shift, and it was really nice.

Then I changed to another job, that was 8-5, straight 8 hours (1 hour of breaks/lunch). The place ran ran fanatically. If you clocked in 8:01, it punched 8:15 on your card, and if you punched out at 4:59, it punched 4:45 on your card. The time machine was also slow by about ten minutes, so you really had to wait until 5:11 to punch out. They also didn't pay partial hour increments, so if you time car was like 39:45, you'd only get paid for 39 hours and you'd lose that partial hour. They didn't add it or anything to the next pay period. It was a terrible place to work. I mentioned it once to the manager, and basicially said "TFB go sue me."

One day, they came in and told me "oh by the way, we are taking the next two weeks off, see you next month...oh just to be clear the company is closed, and you don't have any remaining vacation time to take off because we didn't tell you this ahead of time, but you'll be fine right? You aren't already rich like we are from Nazi gold?"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Arsten posted:

He should have pre-arranged that time off (even though it's based on a Non-Julian calendar, so it varies somehow). Even so, it's one of the holiest holidays for Islam. I can't really blame the guy for taking it off - just not pre-arranging it.

Also, isn't it specifically a holiday celebrating eating during the day after fasting dawn to dusk for a month? Why wouldn't you celebrate that during the day?

No no, I meant he took the day off, which I don't care about since I'm at work anyway. I meant the after hours portion wasn't discussed, and I ended up getting woken up at 2 in the morning.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 7, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I worked for a year as a aircraft mech at Bombardier for a while, and they worked a really interesting schedule.

You worked 12 hour days, three one week, four the next. Wed-Sat, then Thus-Sat, 7-7, then the other crew worked 7-7 Sun-Wed and Sun-Tue. I really liked it. The off week you hit 48 hours, and were guaranteed overtime. They didn't hassle about paying it, and it was a nice little bump to your income. They always were cool about you taking those 8 hours off, so you should come in an hour late and leave an hour early. I had the day shift, and it was really nice.

Then I changed to another job, that was 8-5, straight 8 hours (1 hour of breaks/lunch). The place ran ran fanatically. If you clocked in 8:01, it punched 8:15 on your card, and if you punched out at 4:59, it punched 4:45 on your card. The time machine was also slow by about ten minutes, so you really had to wait until 5:11 to punch out. They also didn't pay partial hour increments, so if you time car was like 39:45, you'd only get paid for 39 hours and you'd lose that partial hour. They didn't add it or anything to the next pay period. It was a terrible place to work. I mentioned it once to the manager, and basicially said "TFB go sue me."

One day, they came in and told me "oh by the way, we are taking the next two weeks off, see you next month...oh just to be clear the company is closed, and you don't have any remaining vacation time to take off because we didn't tell you this ahead of time, but you'll be fine right? You aren't already rich like we are from Nazi gold?"

You don't have to sue them. Go to your states' labor board. Taking away your worked time is basically Maximum Strength Viagra for them. It's also generally a crime to alter a time card. If you clock at 8:01, they can't time stamp to 8:15. Go in with a camera phone to do the clocking and email it in.

As for the shut-down thing, they did it specifically to dodge unemployment. I've seen companies do that bit, before. There's not much you can do about that one. :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Arsten posted:

You don't have to sue them. Go to your states' labor board. Taking away your worked time is basically Maximum Strength Viagra for them. It's also generally a crime to alter a time card. If you clock at 8:01, they can't time stamp to 8:15. Go in with a camera phone to do the clocking and email it in.

I was going to say, that seems like one of those very clearly cut "this is illegal" things even in the US.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Arsten posted:

You don't have to sue them. Go to your states' labor board. Taking away your worked time is basically Maximum Strength Viagra for them.

Very much this. The state/municipal labor boards basically exist to police poo poo like this, and as long as you can document it, they will ram their dick through bossman's office door Slasher Film style, fine the poo poo out of them, and give you all your back pay plus punitive damages. Be prepared to be fired a month later for 'work performance' reasons, and for them to badmouth you to every employer afterwards. They don't even have to lie outright, just state 'he was unhappy with his salary and got the labor board involved' and then clam up after that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Arsten posted:

As for the shut-down thing, they did it specifically to dodge unemployment. I've seen companies do that bit, before. There's not much you can do about that one. :(

This was ten years ago, so it's not worth messing with now. I only had the job for about eight months, since I just needed something, and it came along. I left there for my $AWFUL_JOB that's been the subject of many previous anecdotes. Funny thing about how I got$AWFUL_JOB, I didn't do anything with computers, besides nerd stuff with gaming PCs. I was invited to a friend of a friends' house for a party. The guy was the owner of that company. He would always offer people little bit jobs around his to help them make some side cash. While we were having dinner, there was another guy over that was a friend of another friend (the guy new everyone). He had paid this guy a few bucks to put together some Ikea furniture for his kid. I didn't realize the guy was there being paid to work, so we were just chilling and having a conversation. The guy asked me for a hand holding something, and then after a few minutes, he sort of slipped out and started drinking, and left me to assemble the stuff. Not a big deal, since another guy I new was there and we were just having some good scotch while putting together some stuff.

After we were done, the owner noticed that I did it all, and that his paid guy was currently drinking while hitting on his daughter. He pretty much was like "hey you actually do good work, you looking for a job? Know anything about computers, I need a computer janitor for my consulting company." He told me they had like twenty employees and really oversold it. I figured what's the worst that can happen, so I agreed. Oh man how naive I was then.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This was ten years ago, so it's not worth messing with now.

I'm glad you aren't currently getting worked over, but I still scream this from the rooftops. I keep finding people in these situations where they are getting screwed and then convince themselves that they have no recourse.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Sweet sweet alcohol on cold ice, yes yes yes you make everything good.

loving hell what a day, a friggin broadcast storm making GBS threads everything up at the end of the day. I can stay calm in the face of Apocalypse but jesus christ I can't stand practically everyone in the office telling me shits hosed and how can they help, I'm the only tech in the office and barely got to my chair before being deluged by people before evening knowing what's happened.

Check in with ISP after a long call they see our router going nuts, can't ping or connect to anything in the office so I go to the cabinet to see whats up. Switches are blinking in unison so I yank them all and power up one at a time to narrow down the bad. Then narrowing it down further to find the offending port, lo and behold it's an 8 port poe switch; however I have no idea why it's causing the storm as only two PCs and two Phones are connected to it, even plugging in just the switch turned off kicks off a storm.

I'm not back until Tuesday, but poo poo looks like it's time to revisit storm control.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
First person that offers to help... tell them to stand at your door and keep everyone away.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gounads posted:

First person that offers to help... tell them to stand at your door and keep everyone away.

I had a power outage today that lasted about 5 minutes. People kept stopping by expecting me to be having a panic attack. Nah we're good we got 35 minutes on the batteries servers will shutdown by themselves in 20 minutes if we don't have power back. We have internet at least, so connect to the guest wifi and play games or something until power comes on or someone tells us to go home.

I have no idea how they expected they could help with the lack of power. Do people freak out about their servers when they lose power or something?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pixaal posted:

I have no idea how they expected they could help with the lack of power. Do people freak out about their servers when they lose power or something?

I think they just enjoy the drama of having "something happen."

It's pretty amusing to sit in a cube farm when there's a network glitch, suddenly everyone wants to chat and come up with crazy theories about what the problem is while scrutinizing traceroutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

xzzy posted:

I think they just enjoy the drama of having "something happen."

For real, and some people capitalize on this in the worst way; someone said the whole building (tower block) was out as they went and "checked" which stirred up commotion. Even if anything "did" happen we have our own closed network with a functioning internet connection, so gently caress off with your drama stirring.

Everyone just goes bananas, and never understand that asking me every 1 minute for an update doesn't help resolve things.

Particularly with hosted products like our phone system, people think I'm stoic when I don't actually give a poo poo if it goes out. Yes I understand the gravity of the issue but there is nothing I can do about it, they very likely are already working on fixing things and me calling or sending an angry ticket doesn't change things.