Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno, I feel like Studios won't touch him if there is a version on TV. Kind of like how not only have their been no mention of Inhumans so far in the films, but their plan film was indefinitely postponed. That could all be coincidence, but given the rift behind the scenes, I can see them choosing to minimize overlap.

Which is sad because this basically:

We'll see if ABC can pull off something like Ghost Rider if this is true, but given how god awful Lash was, I am not holding my breath.

Well, it's still Studios that has the ultimate say over what characters the TV division can and can't use, as far as I know. So it's not like this would be a case of AoS killing the chances of a Ghost Rider movie, rather than Studios just having no interest in the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Klungar posted:

They already had a flaming chain wielder last season that looked decent enough.

And technically the family of the character he was based on was tangentially related to Ghost Rider... kinda?

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Carter_Slade_(Earth-616)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Say what you will but I liked nic cage as ghost rider.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So did I

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno, I feel like Studios won't touch him if there is a version on TV. Kind of like how not only have their been no mention of Inhumans so far in the films, but their plan film was indefinitely postponed. That could all be coincidence, but given the rift behind the scenes, I can see them choosing to minimize overlap.

Which is sad because this basically:

We'll see if ABC can pull off something like Ghost Rider if this is true, but given how god awful Lash was, I am not holding my breath.

The rumors were Inhumans were not a super popular concept with Fiege or anyone else on the movie side and their push was 100% Perlmutter. When Perlmutter got exiled from the film side, any chance of an Inhumans movie probably went with him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

You people should be in an institution.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Vishass posted:

The rumors were Inhumans were not a super popular concept with Fiege or anyone else on the movie side and their push was 100% Perlmutter. When Perlmutter got exiled from the film side, any chance of an Inhumans movie probably went with him.

I'd imagine that a lot of push for Inhumans was as a substitute for mutants and now that X-Men rights negotiations have defrosted, there's less of a need.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The are only defrosted according to like one guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah the relationship between Disney and Fox is still akin to the Bloods and the Crips.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Something must have changed, with actual X-Men toys and stuff this year coming out.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Vishass posted:

I know what I'm giving thanks for this sunday

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bunnyofdoom posted:

He's just too old to pull it off. Basically as soon as that first movie did the time skip, all the pathos of the character drained out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bunnyofdoom posted:

Nic Cage was an awesome ghost rider. The only problem was that he was an awesome ghost rider in a non-ghost rider movie. Check out Drive Angry to see Nic Cage be the best Ghost Rider ever.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Madkal posted:

Nic Cage was an awesome ghost rider. The only problem was that he was an awesome ghost rider in a non-ghost rider movie. Check out Drive Angry to see Nic Cage be the best Ghost Rider ever.

Oh god yes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Noel Neill, the original Lois Lane, passed away yesterday at 95. I've always been a big Superman fan and discovered both Adventures of Superman and the Fleischer Superman at an age in the early '90s when I arguably shouldn't have liked something so dated at the time, especially as a young child. But I did love those things and have only grown to appreciate them more over the years. Noel was a fantastic Lois Lane and a lot of what I love about the character can be found in her performance. I didn't see the original 1948 serial she was in until much, much later but that's where she originated the role. She went on to cameo in many other Superman related projects over the years and it was always nice seeing her pop up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK-ec60E3RA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For anyone down on Preacher I would suggest checking out at least the start of this week's episode which features Jesse, Deblanc and Fiore in a knock down, drag out fight with another, unnamed, angel. The whole thing is a lot of fun because whenever an angel dies on the show their dead body sticks around but they respawn somewhere nearby. This leads to a giant pile of dead angels by the time they finish.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

Noel Neill, the original Lois Lane, passed away yesterday at 95. I've always been a big Superman fan and discovered both Adventures of Superman and the Fleischer Superman at an age in the early '90s when I arguably shouldn't have liked something so dated at the time, especially as a young child. But I did love those things and have only grown to appreciate them more over the years. Noel was a fantastic Lois Lane and a lot of what I love about the character can be found in her performance. I didn't see the original 1948 serial she was in until much, much later but that's where she originated the role. She went on to cameo in many other Superman related projects over the years and it was always nice seeing her pop up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK-ec60E3RA

Didn't she appear as the Lex Luthor's dying wife in Superman Returns?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yep.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

For anyone down on Preacher I would suggest checking out at least the start of this week's episode which features Jesse, Deblanc and Fiore in a knock down, drag out fight with another, unnamed, angel. The whole thing is a lot of fun because whenever an angel dies on the show their dead body sticks around but they respawn somewhere nearby. This leads to a giant pile of dead angels by the time they finish.

+1
Best so far.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

http://nerdist.com/the-cw-signs-new-streaming-deal-with-netflix/

Looks like DC/The CW scrapped their own streaming plans and went with Netflix instead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Scyantific posted:

http://nerdist.com/the-cw-signs-new-streaming-deal-with-netflix/

Looks like DC/The CW scrapped their own streaming plans and went with Netflix instead.

it's loving hilarious that the headlines were the exact opposite of this a few months ago

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The article I read said that the episodes will still be available on the CW website next day, at least, but my Hulu Plus account certainly lost the majority of its usefulness.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the deal is CW website for the last 5 episodes during the season, and then the whole season goes up on Netflix a week after the finale.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm all for breaking up monopolies and companies actually needing to compete, but every channel wanting to have it's own exclusive streaming service kind of aggravates me. I'm already dreading actually considering singing up for CBS All Access just for Fuller's new Star Trek show. So I'm certainly not against this.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 6, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Klungar posted:

The article I read said that the episodes will still be available on the CW website next day, at least, but my Hulu Plus account certainly lost the majority of its usefulness.

While I'm still going to use Hulu it does really suck that they're losing the CW stuff. It was nice having it next day with no commercials.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm all for breaking up monopolies and companies actually needing to compete, but every channel wanting to have it's own exclusive streaming service kind of aggravates me. I'm already dreading actually considering singing up for CBS All Access just for Fuller's new Star Trek show. So I'm certainly not against this.

People have been asking for a la carte channels for years. Now they're getting what they wanted and finding out it's not what they wanted. The really just wanted cable but cheaper.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

X-O posted:

People have been asking for a la carte channels for years. Now they're getting what they wanted and finding out it's not what they wanted. The really just wanted cable but cheaper.

I think the real problem with CBS All Access is that there's no telling what the quality of service will be.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HIJK posted:

I think the real problem with CBS All Access is that there's no telling what the quality of service will be.

It's been around for a while now, I'm sure someone's used it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
People wanted cable, but without lots of extra channels they didn't watch cluttering up their numbers and increasing their bill.

No one wants "I'll make my own netflix but with blackjack and hookers*" from every company, since that means having to keep track of what show is on what service and each service having it's own fees or accounts or features / bugs and so on.

People at this point probably want everything to be on netflix and maybe two or three other competitors tops and not like 50 of them. Maybe even a thing where your cable company has a service that lets you watch every show you could watch with your cable service but on demand, which many kind of have but at least with my cable it's no where near as useful as netflix where you mostly get full seasons of stuff that you can watch whenever.

*probably more like stupid sliding timers on when you can watch certain shows and similar bullshit

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-O posted:

IT SUCKS

X-O posted:

My problem with current a la carte is that some companies really suck at it so you get terrible stuff like how CBS/CW does it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

X-O posted:

Well that's kind of the problem. It's not a good service right now. When they put Star Trek on it that's going to put a lot of stress on it and there's no reason to believe that CBS will do what it takes to construct a good streaming service that can handle a lot of viewers logging in.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
All US media is owned by like 6 companies anyway right? Just make the highest level parent company service and have "channels" within that to sort out the content.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Light Gun Man posted:

People wanted cable, but without lots of extra channels they didn't watch cluttering up their numbers and increasing their bill.

Of course for some of those channels the reverse is true.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You overestimate Star Trek.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ideal for me would be something like Steam or iTunes, where I can just worry about one wrapper and then purchase the stuff in there a la carte. Of course setting that up in the first place is a logistical nightmare.

Steam's actually a good analogue, since people keep trying to break off and have their own wrapper like Origin, uPlay, or Windows Live. Various levels of success, but they all run into the problem of "but I just got Steam working the way I like it, why are you making me set up new stuff?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, in that sense, you already have that, in iTunes and Amazon Video. Unless you literally meant having access to all of a network's programming, in which case... Amazon kind of has that also.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bruceski posted:

Ideal for me would be something like Steam or iTunes, where I can just worry about one wrapper and then purchase the stuff in there a la carte. Of course setting that up in the first place is a logistical nightmare.

Steam's actually a good analogue, since people keep trying to break off and have their own wrapper like Origin, uPlay, or Windows Live. Various levels of success, but they all run into the problem of "but I just got Steam working the way I like it, why are you making me set up new stuff?"

Because in the long run its cheaper for EA/Ubi/Microsoft to release on their own platform, with how much of a cut Valve takes from sales.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

No, what I wanted was a single thing where I can watch the shows I like but not the shows I don't like, and am charged accordingly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a DVD player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Or an Apple TV/Amazon Fire thing where you only buy the poo poo you like.