Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

PiCroft posted:

I saw the Queen in person today. It was pretty cool.

Welp that's my story.

WRONG, being exposed to the reality of an extant monarch in this year of our lord 2016 is decidedly Not Cool

e: 1992: Britain crashes out of the ERM as the value of the pound precipitously drops in Black Wednesday, now fondly remembered as Light Gray Wednesday

Bryter fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bryter posted:

WRONG, being exposed to the reality of an extant monarch in this year of our lord 2016 is decidedly Not Cool

I disagree, the icy chill of the lizard-people can be quite refreshing on a hot summer's day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Just under one per cent of the vote. Not huge, but a pretty satisfying addition, and hopefully one that comes with a multiplier.

About 7% of the people who actually voted for labour. Of the potential vote rather less but when your membership expansion comprises several times the vote share increase of the entire party in the last GE, that's kind of hard to ignore.

Yeah Jeremy Corbyn's leadership has attracted more party members than labour managed to attract extra voters last election.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://twitter.com/TheMediaTweets/status/750808331321745408
:unsmigghh:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol the Times makes it look like a marriage spat

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Tsietisin posted:

Financial advice: Please invest wisely. The value of the pound can go down as well as loving plummet.

I changed £2000 into Canadian Dollars last week - even with lovely high-street exchange rates, I'm ahead already :/

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's kind of funny how the entire country seems to be united in rubbing their hands in glee over Chilcot.

Except the Labour rebels, I guess, but nobody cares about them.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

I wonder how those newspapers felt at the time? Oh right, the Sun called the likes of Charles Kennedy traitors for opposing the war.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TheHoodedClaw posted:

I wonder how those newspapers felt at the time? Oh right, the Sun called the likes of Charles Kennedy traitors for opposing the war.

Just enjoy the moment.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

TheHoodedClaw posted:

*frantically deletes webpages* I have no idea what you're referring to

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

Just enjoy the moment.

I'm not sure that there's anything to enjoy, to be honest, about a disaster of that magnitude.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Are you all bad at maths or something?

600,000 \ 44,722,000 = 1.34% of the total electorate ( http://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/elections/electoralregistration/bulletins/electoralstatisticsforuk/2015 )

However with a turn out similar to the last election (c. 66%)

That turns into 600,000 \ 29,516,520 = 2.03% (The figure originally quoted).

Sorry for not going to two decimal places

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

Sorry for not going to two decimal places

For your crime we sentence you to always give values to three significant figures.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Illuyankas posted:

Yeah, the dartboard one was deleted the past day or so.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TheHoodedClaw posted:

I'm not sure that there's anything to enjoy, to be honest, about a disaster of that magnitude.

If you can't enjoy known war criminal Tony Blair getting ripped a new arsehole in the national press then dont even look at me

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Yeah, the dartboard one was deleted the past day or so.

:thejoke:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There's something interesting if you look at Iraq inquiry voting records, like I ended up doing this morning.

Let's use our favourite ex-MP, Tom "I'm proud I got a mentally ill woman evicted from a council house" Harris. as an example.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

There's something interesting if you look at Iraq inquiry voting records, like I ended up doing this morning.

Let's use our favourite ex-MP, Tom "I'm proud I got a mentally ill woman evicted from a council house" Harris. as an example.

Ah yes, the classic "Vote against, take credit for"

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Tesseraction posted:

Ah yes, the classic "Vote against, take credit for"

My favourite thing about it is that there are less days between those votes than what Blair wanted as the limit for pre-charge detention :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oberleutnant posted:

If you can't enjoy known war criminal Tony Blair getting ripped a new arsehole in the national press then dont even look at me

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TinTower posted:

My favourite thing about it is that there are less days between those votes than what Blair wanted as the limit for pre-charge detention :v:

Most numbers are less than infinity.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Oberleutnant posted:

I've said it before, I know there's no hope of him seeing any legal consequences for his crusade, but I at the very least want this to make him so thoroughly toxic that no one will let him publish his stupid loving opinions anymore.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
I have a statement to make while Chilcot has induced a lull in my insanity (I can give no guarantee how long my current condition will last).

In light of recent insufferable posting by me for which I accept full responsibility. I wish to make it known I will abide by the result of a referendum on my membership of this thread, should such a referendum be called for by the OP. I still deny all allegations of sexual impropriety.

The terms I consider to be acceptable are a two-thirds majority with a minimum turnout of 80% of eligible voters. Regardless of their nationality, all resident posters must be eligible to vote, and yes, that includes Pissflaps.

A decision of this magnitude requires more than a simple majority. Simple majorities are for deciding what to have for dinner.

If the referendum passes, following negotiations I will never post in this thread again and will not return until the next thread in August.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You're all right by me.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Implied Consent posted:

I have a statement to make while Chilcot has induced a lull in my insanity (I can give no guarantee how long my current condition will last).

In light of recent insufferable posting by me for which I accept full responsibility. I wish to make it known I will abide by the result of a referendum on my membership of this thread, should such a referendum be called for by the OP. I still deny all allegations of sexual impropriety.

The terms I consider to be acceptable are a two-thirds majority with a minimum turnout of 80% of eligible voters. Regardless of their nationality, all resident posters must be eligible to vote, and yes, that includes Pissflaps.

A decision of this magnitude requires more than a simple majority. Simple majorities are for deciding what to have for dinner.

If the referendum passes, following negotiations I will never post in this thread again and will not return until the next thread in August.

My vote is for you to keep making silly posts like this.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

Yeah, the Murdoch and Rothermere press are really sticking it to him, and there's you using witless violent imagery in your post too. Great days, great days.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I can't help but read "I will be with you, whatever." in the voice of a sulky teenager agreeing to go to the cinema with their parents but resolving not to enjoy themselves at all.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Jeremy Corbyn, apparently posted:

"I now apologise sincerely on behalf of my party for the disastrous decision to go to war in Iraq in March 2003.

That apology is owed first of all to the people of Iraq. Hundreds of thousands of lives have been lost and the country is still living with the devastating consequences of the war and the forces it unleashed.

They have paid the greatest price for the most serious foreign policy calamity of the last 60 years.

The apology is also owed to the families of those soldiers who died in Iraq or who have returned home injured or incapacitated.

They did their duty but it was in a conflict they should never have been sent to.

Finally, it is an apology to the millions of British citizens who feel our democracy was traduced and undermined by the way in which the decision to go to war was taken on the basic of secret ‘I will be with you, whatever’ understandings given to the US president that have now been publicly exposed."

from facebook, cannot confirm and my phone loads google really slowly

e: ha, just saw it was 6 hours ago and everyone's read this already, welp

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Illuyankas posted:

Yeah video here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-chilcot-report-iraq-war-inquiry-apology-tony-blair-labour-party-a7123461.html

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

Illuyankas posted:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/750790103094562816

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

On the point of new labour members not being very active. I can say that in my ward, I was the only new activist to turn up regularly to canvassing since the loss in 2015, but the branch meetings have had alot more members than usual (most noticeable directly after Corbyns election to the leadership)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might have taken the opportunity to point out that as long as Corbyn is in charge the party will be pretty firmly opposed to repeating that particular adventure. it is one of his better qualities.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Illuyankas posted:

Speaking of, Jim Fitzpatrick (pretty much the archetypal Blairite twat) has been desperately deleting the rather crowing tweets he made over the weekend about Angela Eagle. Also his only word on Chilcot was correcting people's grammar.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Frankly, if nothing else, this makes his tenure worth it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also his only word on Chilcot was correcting people's grammar.
"Actually it's 'wars criminal', since there was more than one."

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

That was a pretty great speech, you can tell he wanted to say it for a long long time.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tesseraction posted:

Frankly, if nothing else, this makes his tenure worth it.

what about all the dank memes tho

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angepain posted:

what about all the dank memes tho

The icing sugar on the top.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

i like how one paper just calls him a fuckin' Weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sion posted:

i like how one paper just calls him a fuckin' Weapon.

It's condensed pictures. The full headline is "Weapon of Mass Deception".

• Locked thread