Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I think I saw someone mention it already, but now since I updated if I rotate the app into landscape mode, i can't rotate it back and the app becomes unresponsive and I can't click anything until I close out and reopen the app.

It only seems to happen when browsing a forum. It rotates in and out just fine while in a thread or making a reply. This is on an iPhone 6s if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Iron Prince posted:

I think I saw someone mention it already, but now since I updated if I rotate the app into landscape mode, i can't rotate it back and the app becomes unresponsive and I can't click anything until I close out and reopen the app.

It only seems to happen when browsing a forum. It rotates in and out just fine while in a thread or making a reply. This is on an iPhone 6s if it matters.

I don't often use this so I don't know if this has been a thing for a while, but with the latest update this is happening to me too; landscape mode while browsing a forum locks the whole thing up. I'm using a 4S.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Iron Prince posted:

I saw it inside threads too, but it's fixed in the latest beta for me.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

I get frozen in landscape mode, as well. 5s.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

The man called M posted:

I get frozen in landscape mode, as well. 5s.

Ditto here, 5s too.

It was definitely working earlier today before I updated, so it seems to be a new issue.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Portrait Orientation Lock supremacy. :kamina:

Edit:

I get it now.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 2, 2016

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Why is the quote icon "6969" now?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Iron Prince posted:

I came here to report the same thing but since enough guys already reported it I'll just say thanks for making the app that I use far more than any other app on my phone. Great job!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SKY COQ posted:

They're rounded quotation marks, like smart quotes or more elaborate fonts. They're getting filled in, I think.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

SKY COQ posted:

Because a conversation is a two way street.

Agreed though the single quote mark icon looks a lot better.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Sometimes my bookmark list continually bounce while the loading smiley shows up.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Would it be possible to set the last read post only when I exit the thread, and only to the last post I have seen? I think current behavior matches the website, where last read is set to the end of the current page as soon as you open the thread. The app has the ability to be smarter I would think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

smackfu posted:

Would it be possible to set the last read post only when I exit the thread, and only to the last post I have seen? I think current behavior matches the website, where last read is set to the end of the current page as soon as you open the thread. The app has the ability to be smarter I would think.

It would require a call to the server for every post you scrolled through, since that's where "last read" is kept. I'm not sure what the semantics would be of having it in two places.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's clearly 6699 anyway

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Omg the pull to next page option. You people are godlike. :five:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Landscape locks up in v 3.15.

Looks like if you open the app and then rotate your phone to landscape mode for either browsing forums or bookmarks that it freezes up. If you're looking in a thread you can go landscape mode, no problem. Clicking the < to go out of a thread back to your bookmarks lets it work without freezing, and you can change to forums, messages, lepers, and settings without it freezing.

But if you turn it back to portrait mode, it freezes up then.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Omg the pull to next page option. You people are godlike. :five:

Glad someone else wanted that!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

It would require a call to the server for every post you scrolled through, since that's where "last read" is kept. I'm not sure what the semantics would be of having it in two places.

I'm thinking last read only needs to be persisted when you leave the thread. So just one extra server call.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

smackfu posted:

I'm thinking last read only needs to be persisted when you leave the thread. So just one extra server call.

I'm not sure how that works with leaving the app and app lifecycle, but that's not an area of expertise for me. I definitely understand the appeal though.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I can imagine fun times trying to define which posts you've seen in threads where image loading makes things jump around.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It feels like the only sensible way to do the last read based on scrolling (what with mobile data/response times) would be to trigger it as/after you leave a page (so it just updates the last read once rather than hitting the server constantly).

Only problem with that I guess is should it always trigger that last read no matter what, or is it only pages that you enter 'via' last read, so you're not kicking off last read while browsing an old thread.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I liked when Last Post brought you to the top of the last page better, shoulda just renamed it Last Page instead of "fixing" it :colbert:

You could always Last Page>Scroll To End but you can't Last Page>Scroll To Top

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 5, 2016

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

drunken officeparty posted:

I liked when Last Post brought you to the top of the last page better, shoulda just renamed it Last Page instead of "fixing" it :colbert:

You could always Last Page>Scroll To End but you can't Last Page>Scroll To Top

Flick the page selector to the bottom and tap Jump.

Jump to the last post, then tap the status bar which will scroll to the top of the page.

You have options.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

carry on then posted:

Jump to the last post, then tap the status bar which will scroll to the top of the page.

You'd be surprised how few people know about this

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

carry on then posted:

Flick the page selector to the bottom and tap Jump.

You have options.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the first one. I'm sitting here flicking poo poo on my phone to figure it out and feeling dumb.

The second one does work though if I can ever remember it when there isn't a big labeled button for it like Scroll To End

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

People I respected took years to find out about swiping from the edge. Made me sick.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

drunken officeparty posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about with the first one. I'm sitting here flicking poo poo on my phone to figure it out and feeling dumb.

The second one does work though if I can ever remember it when there isn't a big labeled button for it like Scroll To End

The exact box which has the last post button also has a spinner below it with the page numbers.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

carry on then posted:

The exact box which has the last post button also has a spinner below it with the page numbers.

Oh I see what you mean now. But still, flicking through a 1000 pages of thread to get to the end of the spinner sucks. What am I made of thumbs.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

Sometimes my bookmark list continually bounce while the loading smiley shows up.

I don't know what causes this but it's hilarious to watch

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The constantly bouncing smiley happens if I've got wifi enabled with proxy but the proxy is down. So likely connection issues aren't resolving quite right.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Please hurry up and figure out what's causing the bug with the bookmark list bouncing continuously while the smiley spins

The bug is that it isn't happening for me

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soricidus posted:

Please hurry up and figure out what's causing the bug with the bookmark list bouncing continuously while the smiley spins

The bug is that it isn't happening for me

If you have the right music on this is awesome

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

When I have a thread open in Awful, go to another app and do enough stuff that Awful's evicted from memory, then when I go back to Awful it just loads the beginning of the page. Doesn't even try to jump back to my previous scroll location :mad:

Also I haven't seen the bookmark bouncing thing either :mad::mad::mad:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Abjad Soup posted:

When I have a thread open in Awful, go to another app and do enough stuff that Awful's evicted from memory, then when I go back to Awful it just loads the beginning of the page. Doesn't even try to jump back to my previous scroll location :mad:

Also I haven't seen the bookmark bouncing thing either :mad::mad::mad:

Ditto to both of these

I'm sure the app used to be pretty good about scrolling back to where you were if it fell out of memory too

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

101 posted:

Ditto to both of these

I'm sure the app used to be pretty good about scrolling back to where you were if it fell out of memory too

I always remember it dumping to forums list/bookmarks

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

if I try copying and pasting a link to a tweet the forums embedded it seems to just be copying https://forums.somethingawful.com

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Abjad Soup posted:

This remains my most-wanted fix for the next version.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Every thread was telling me I needed archives to view it, so I tried logging out to see if that would fix it... and now I can't log back in. Deleting and reinstalling the app didn't help. I remember reading about a problem like this in this thread before, but I don't remember what the solution was.

When I went to log in on a browser to make sure I was typing my password correctly I got an SSL error, though. That could have something to do with it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Caithness posted:

Every thread was telling me I needed archives to view it, so I tried logging out to see if that would fix it... and now I can't log back in. Deleting and reinstalling the app didn't help. I remember reading about a problem like this in this thread before, but I don't remember what the solution was.

When I went to log in on a browser to make sure I was typing my password correctly I got an SSL error, though. That could have something to do with it.

I'm having the same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zen death robot posted:

The forums already work over HTTPS so no big deal

Caithness posted:

welp

But it seems that QCS already has a mention of this in the tech thread so we'll have to deal with Safari until it's fixed server-side.

• Locked thread