Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125156/honda-says-no-other-f1-teams-want-its-engine

quote:

Honda says no Formula 1 teams want to be its second engine partner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

El Hefe posted:

What does Lauda actually do for Mercedes?

He plays the "Flavor Flav" role

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

World class Austrian poo poo disturber and all around cool dude Niki Lauda doing the lord's work by just making poo poo up to try and unsettle lewis and give Rosberg a sliver of a chance.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lauda-denies-hamilton-lied-or-destroyed-room-796051/
That's loving hilarious. I've seen enough interviews where Niki Lauda misunderstands or doesn't actually hear the question he's being asked and goes on to answer a completely different question to conclude that he's the least reliable person in F1 to ask about anything. Plus those times where he'll give one answer in one interview to one broadcaster and then give a completely different answer in the next interview to another broadcaster. He has truly attained crazy old man status.

Then the media takes what he says out of context and you end up with hilarious "news" stories like this.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

El Hefe posted:

He's their Bez

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

NoDamage posted:

That's loving hilarious. I've seen enough interviews where Niki Lauda misunderstands or doesn't actually hear the question he's being asked and goes on to answer a completely different question to conclude that he's the least reliable person in F1 to ask about anything. Plus those times where he'll give one answer in one interview to one broadcaster and then give a completely different answer in the next interview to another broadcaster. He has truly attained crazy old man status.

Then the media takes what he says out of context and you end up with hilarious "news" stories like this.

I could be remembering this wrong, but I'm almost certain that some time around 2013 Niki Lauda correspondent for some german channel's F1 coverage interviewed Niki Lauda Non-executive chairman of Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 team live on air.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
:3:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
That NSX looks nice, like a budget McLaren 540C.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

El Hefe posted:

He's just there to sabotage Lewis's car so whitey can win obviously

Pretty sure Lauda turned black in 1976

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like that NSX a lot. Even better with Nando in it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He doesn't look all that happy to be in it. I mean it's a GP2 car after all.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Uncle Jam posted:

Pretty sure Lauda turned black in 1976

Just extra crispy.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

El Hefe posted:

On non-race weekends, he performs sketches

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

He doesn't look all that happy to be in it. I mean it's a GP2 car after all.

At least he doesn't have to drive a Renault company car.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Lauda is playing mind games with his own employer. Pretty bold, I think.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

geeves posted:

On non-race weekends, he performs sketches

Mods please make this my new avatar and change my username to 1500quidlauda.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

Mods please make this my new avatar and change my username to 1500quidlauda.

Wouldn't you be 1500markslauda?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

El Hefe posted:

That NSX looks nice, like a budget McLaren 540C.

"Budget" being £130,000

or about $18 at the moment.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

the BBC had this up on their site, from 2012:

:haw: a simpler time

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

Regardless of how you rate the second coming of Schumacher, Rosberg's stock was pretty high in 2012

fatman
Oct 20, 2005

"I DON'T WANT A RIOTING SCUMBAG AS A NEIGHBOUR"? WELL I DON'T WANT A FUCKWIT GUN NUT AS A POSTER
:fuckoff:
If anyone wants to see what Flavio is up to these days, it looks like he is on the champagne band wagon.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/russian-players-allegedly-spend-370000-on-champagne/news-story/f3b3a6c9facb61348025e020f1429b44

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
What the hell did you do to get that custom av?

fatman
Oct 20, 2005

"I DON'T WANT A RIOTING SCUMBAG AS A NEIGHBOUR"? WELL I DON'T WANT A FUCKWIT GUN NUT AS A POSTER
:fuckoff:
Auspol hippies got butthurt hence <-

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Whats the over/under on McLaren's "upgraded" Honda motor being poo poo for the British GP?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

GramCracker posted:

Whats the over/under on McLaren's "upgraded" Honda motor being poo poo for the British GP?

Very high.
But hell, Jenson took p6 last race. :shrug:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh yes. It's the good team principles press conference on Friday

Maurizio Arrivabene (Ferrari), Eric Boullier (McLaren), Vijay Mallya (Force India), Dave Ryan (Manor), Claire Williams (Williams), Toto Wolff (Mercedes)

:allears:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

it almost certainly will not be worse, honda have been insanely conservative with their token spend so they don't waste them. it just probably won't be a hugely noticeable change.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Its just a change to the intake system so I would imagine its probably just efficiencies from integrating it with the new turbo, since you really can't gently caress up an intake manifold too badly with their resources. I can't imagine its going to give a lot of power but should be good for a bit at the top in.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Let's hope it will be constantly changing conditions to sort out the bad drivers.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

learnincurve posted:

Oh yes. It's the good team principles press conference on Friday

Maurizio Arrivabene (Ferrari), Eric Boullier (McLaren), Vijay Mallya (Force India), Dave Ryan (Manor), Claire Williams (Williams), Toto Wolff (Mercedes)

:allears:

Why does it seem so fitting that Manor's principal has a first name for a surname?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Its just a change to the intake system so I would imagine its probably just efficiencies from integrating it with the new turbo, since you really can't gently caress up an intake manifold too badly with their resources. I can't imagine its going to give a lot of power but should be good for a bit at the top in.

that's exactly what it is. they upgraded the turbo to help with ERS harvesting/deployment and lost some ICE power in the process. this upgrade replaces that lost power and maybe a little more.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

it almost certainly will not be worse, honda have been insanely conservative with their token spend so they don't waste them. it just probably won't be a hugely noticeable change.

1500quidporsche posted:

That was my train of thought as well. With the changes made to the turbo the intake changes should be a nice match and compliment one another.

Hopefully the days are near where we see more of Are Jense and Are Nando near the front of the pack....until the Mercs turn up their engine mapping to keep McLaren's new monster of a Honda motor at bay.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Dont worry the Mercs will be too busy not trying to crash.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

honda made huge progress from last year, their turbo upgrade gave them a noticeable improvement as well, so if this upgrade gives them any kind of measurable boost it will bode well for their 2017 hopes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

They're just behind on innovation right now but they were on the back foot just trying to get the drat thing to work so you can't really blame them. I'm cautiously optimistic for next year, its been a long journey for Nando and it would be nice to have him earn his third championship.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

simplefish posted:

Why does it seem so fitting that Manor's principal has a first name for a surname?

Good lad that Dave Ryan, got a champion Whippet.

(disclaimer, am from the north, own a whippet, and he is indeed champion)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

1500quidporsche posted:

They're just behind on innovation right now but they were on the back foot just trying to get the drat thing to work so you can't really blame them. I'm cautiously optimistic for next year, its been a long journey for Nando and it would be nice to have him earn his third championship.

I think they pretty much got on top of the reliability. They're however seriously down on power and can't bring all their various upgrades to the races because of the tokens.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
:siren: Rio Haryanto has resolved doubts over his seat with Manor and is set to complete the 2016 Formula 1 season with the team. :siren:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Phew, thank gently caress for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

NtotheTC posted:

I'm not sure how enthusiastic he really was about it, even in the beginning. We were in Austin for the race in 2012, which was about a month after they announced Hamilton moving to Mercedes, and ran into both of them separately at the same restaurant the night before qualifying.

Hamilton seemed p. chill then, actually, and was like "woah, you guys recognized me?" when we walked past him at the valet. He did a quick photo op, and then went inside. Not 30 seconds later, while waiting for our car, my wife goes "holy poo poo there's Nico Rosberg". So we walked over to say hello to him, took a quick photo, and told him that we just saw his future teammate head into the restaurant. To which he responds "Really? Are you sure? Oh. Hmmm." and had this look come across his face like if you asked your friend to go to the bar and hang out and they told you they didn't feel like it and were just going to stay home and then you went to the bar anyway and saw them there having a good time without you. Then he made a phone call and someone came and picked him up and they left without even going inside.

At the time all of us were thinking it was a really weird reaction but it kinda makes a lot more sense these days. We've seen Hamilton there every year since (who now acts like the douche you would expect to meet), and a bunch of the Mercedes guys like Niki Lauda and Toto Wolff, but never Nico. Of course its not the reality of the situation, but the wife and I like to imagine that evening was the catalyst of their souring relationship.

• Locked thread