Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Funny, despite it being a nice piece of music I thought it was horrible for the show. It was entirely out of place, and the only song more strange was the credits version of Bear and the Maiden Fair when Jaime's hand was chopped.

The only way it fits is if whoever suggested a transition to a renaissance-feel for the remainder of the show is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Super Deuce posted:

Funny, despite it being a nice piece of music I thought it was horrible for the show. It was entirely out of place, and the only song more strange was the credits version of Bear and the Maiden Fair when Jaime's hand was chopped.

The only way it fits is if whoever suggested a transition to a renaissance-feel for the remainder of the show is correct.

I agree. I was weirdly thrown off by that particular musical choice.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think it works partially because it was off. It tells you right when the show begins that something is wrong. It definitely worked for the scene as well in terms of building tension.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I'm actually not a big fan of the music of the show in general.... i aint an expert but a lot of times it doesn't sound like they're using real musical instruments but like some midi violins (or maybe it's just me)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think it works partially because it was off. It tells you right when the show begins that something is wrong. It definitely worked for the scene as well in terms of building tension.
Yeah, there was some serious "some poo poo is about to go down" feel to the way it was used in the show. The calm, constructed, barely-moving piano lines playing off of Margaery's panicked facial expression as she realizes what's happening and tries to get everyone out of the Sept :gonk:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pander posted:

Yup. I loved hearing them fit the Rains of Castamere leitmotif into different situations.

They got a bit heavy-handed with some of the leitmotifs telling you what was going to happen before you actually saw it happen, but gently caress it, this season was all about glorious catharsis anyhow so that was a feature instead of a flaw.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

whalestory posted:

I'm actually not a big fan of the music of the show in general.... i aint an expert but a lot of times it doesn't sound like they're using real musical instruments but like some midi violins (or maybe it's just me)
It's all real instruments by professionals, but they're usually recorded separately and mixed together by Djawadi.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
All of this talk of soundtrack and all my stupid dinosaur brain can think of is speeding everything up to the tune of Yakkity Sax

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I love the music they play whenever melisandre does something ominous

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

whalestory posted:

The phoniness you are hearing I think is more common to the early seasons.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Zzulu posted:

I love the music they play whenever melisandre gets her tits out

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

It's all real instruments by professionals, but they're usually recorded separately and mixed together by Djawadi.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The phoniness you are hearing I think is more common to the early seasons.

Oh that might explain it, I only remember it being particularly bad earlier on

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vegetable posted:

The distinction between the sci-fi and fantasy genres is pretty arbitrary tbh

"Speculative fiction". God, read a book! But not one of GRRM's.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Arya is going to stop Jaqen from blowing up King's Landing.

I truly believe her killing the Waif and returning back to Westeros was precisely the outcome he was hoping for.

He didn't seem bothered by it at all in fact it seems a little happy about it. I think that was her final exam so to speak.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I truly believe her killing the Waif and returning back to Westeros was precisely the outcome he was hoping for.

He didn't seem bothered by it at all in fact it seems a little happy about it. I think that was her final exam so to speak.

I'd agree if they didn't have him privately express dissatisfaction with her failures. Not just to her, but essentially to himself he orders her death with "a pity". In order to appreciate Arya's philosophy about killing, then his discussions about the motivation of the many-faced god as a house of vengeful assassins devoid of personal animus would have to have been all bullshit.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pander posted:

I'd agree if they didn't have him privately express dissatisfaction with her failures. Not just to her, but essentially to himself he orders her death with "a pity". In order to appreciate Arya's philosophy about killing, then his discussions about the motivation of the many-faced god as a house of vengeful assassins devoid of personal animus would have to have been all bullshit.

The thing is I think the one that enjoyed killing way too much was the Waif who didn't use any wisdom at all with it unlike he did. I think he was simply setting her up to get killed by Arya, Never Letting on that that was the plan.

I could be wrong but I never heard him express any kind of dissatisfaction did anyone other than her and he probably was setting her up.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Jaqen let her escape because he owes her his life (she never uncalled his name!).

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
A girl didn't follow orders and kill with a dispassionate egalitarianism as a normal clock-punching faceless person should, so she didn't get to join the team. Jaqen just has to double-shift for a while.

Arya Stark, however, is going to kill lots of people and make the Many-Faced God happy in her own way, even if it's not her intention. If she had turned into some kind of Tommen-inspired, sappy, sad-sack and lost the urge to kill, the Many-Faced God would not be pleased, and neither would Jaqen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you had dat WMD Jaqen does, you'd be bemusedly happy all the time too.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Wizchine posted:

A girl didn't follow orders and kill with a dispassionate egalitarianism as a normal clock-punching faceless person should, so she didn't get to join the team. Jaqen just has to double-shift for a while.

Arya Stark, however, is going to kill lots of people and make the Many-Faced God happy in her own way, even if it's not her intention. If she had turned into some kind of Tommen-inspired, sappy, sad-sack and lost the urge to kill, the Many-Faced God would not be pleased, and neither would Jaqen.
But Tommen did have the urge to kill! :haw:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Super Deuce posted:

Funny, despite it being a nice piece of music I thought it was horrible for the show.

Ah, the end if season thread, when thread opinions turn to dogshit

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GOT announced its Emmy submissions a while ago

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-makes-2016-emmy-submissions-reveals-final-synopses/

Most of the expected folks are in there for acting. Max von Sydow for guest actor. No Ian McShane, Jonathan Pryce, or Liam Cunningworth. Carice van Houten for supporting actress, which is surprising for the amount of work she did. Think they may just be running on name recognition for most of these.

Other categories are weird. Battle of Bastards is the sole submission for writing. I thought the finale might have been a better option. Neither are included in cinematography; instead those go to E2 (Home), E3 (Oathbreaker), and E5 (The Door).

Final nominations come out in exactly one week's time.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 7, 2016

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They likely submitted Battle of the Bastards for writing because the old white men who judge these things likely don't want anything too serial, and it's the most self-contained episode of the season.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Blazing Ownager posted:

I was just referencing Batman Begins...

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I guest the many faces god teach nihilism. So if you understand that everyone have their own reasons to do everything, and anyway you kill the master that is slaving people, this god is happy. It may not be the right think to kill Shadam Hussein, or it may not be the right thing to train the taliban against the CCCP. If you understand that everyone is inocent and is not inocent, that everything is connected, every things that happens has infinite causes and infinity effects, he is happy. So Arya was in a school, and not a sect or army.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The many faces god is exactly the same thing the end of evangelion, with the mask falling.

Or maybe not. I understand that the connection is only nihilism / masks falling. A endgame where theres no differences between people because theres only one person that happens to inhabit many bodies.

I am probably wrong here :P

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 7, 2016

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The many faces god hopes you are trolling, much like Emperor Shaddam IV Hussein trolled the Arab Landsraad.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Maybe Jaqen just really loving hated the waif, and is glad that she's dead.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Silhouette posted:

I hope it's that.

"A Girl transferred here from the Volantis Faceless Academy. A Girl was the Volantis dean's daughter, so...just, ugh, A Man couldn't refuse...

So, thank you, Arya Stark of Winterfell. You did A Man a real solid."

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Silhouette posted:

He does tell the waif to make it quick or clean or something when she kills Arya. She doesn't do that, and that is why Arya lives. The Waif goes for the extremely painful, nonlethal (not immediately anyway), gut twist, so that she can gloat or whatever. I'm sure Jaqen doesn't like losing apprentices, but the waif wasn't an amazing candidate either.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You might think it upset me that A Girl had decided to run against me, but nothing could be further from the truth. She was no competition for me, it was like apples and oranges. I had to work a little harder, that's all. You see, I believe in the Faceless Men. They understand that elections aren't just popularity contests. They know this city was built by people just like me who work very hard and don't have everything handed to them on a silver spoon. Not like some rich kids who everybody likes because their fathers own Winterfell and give them dancing lessons on their 16th birthday and throw them big parties all the time. No, they don't ever have to work for anything. They think they can just, all of a sudden, one day out of the blue, waltz right in with no qualifications whatsoever and try to take away what other people have worked for VERY, VERY hard for their entire lives! No, didn't bother me at all!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jaqen did everything but offer Arya a Coke and fist-bump to savor the moment. Frankly it was a hilarious resolution to that plotline, and part of the point I think was to say that Arya refusing to say she was Arya was not what Jaqen was looking for whenever he asked.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 8, 2016

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've been binge-watching the whole series for the first time since Season 2 ended, and it's amazing how many things from this season were foreshadowed long ago. I don't have specific examples, but this show holds against further context. The more I see, the more it looks like there's an actual plan.

Also, re-watching Season 5, it's also obvious that Littlefinger had no loving clue what was going to happen to Sansa. He has a meeting with Ramsey, tells him "it's rare for me to know nothing about a lord," and Ramsey plays him. Plays the coy, lovestruck teenager and, since he's a skilled psychopath, it works.

Littlefinger then gives Sansa a pep talk about his plan. He wagers that Stannis will beat the Boltons, and name Sansa warden in the north. At which point Littlefinger can come try to be her husband, presumably, but most importantly, he prepares Sansa for the failure of that plan. He trusts that between what he's taught her and her being her mother's daughter, she can handle the Boltons. He basically trusts her to go be one of his operatives, and sends her in over her head because he has too much confidence in her.

It's the first time we've seen him fail, which is very interesting. At the time, it looked like it was all part of his greater plan, but knowing what we know now, he hosed up, and he knows he hosed up. And his feeling terrible about it is genuine. But what will he do about it, now that he's brought in Vale soldiers to fulfill his promise of giving Winterfell to Sansa now that Jon has it instead?

This is a pretty great show, folks. I'm way into it.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I like how the showrunners gathered a shitload of plotlines that are still dangling in the books that people have been waiting for years to resolve, got them all in one big building, and blew them the gently caress up. In an episode titled after the as-yet-upublished book. lol

Loras, Margeary, Kevan, the High Septon, the Sparrows, Lancel, hell just the trial in general....

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
How that fight scene wasn't in cinematography I'll never know

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Researching the series now and in the first appearance of Twin, he is skinning a stag.

Lots of good foreshadowing so far.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Researching the series now and in the first appearance of Twin, he is skinning a stag.

The mother of the direwolves found in episode 1 died after attacking a stag. The stag and the wolf killed each other.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I'm also rewatching it (and skipping all the gratuitous torture scenes) - when Theon takes over Winterfell and is searching for Bran and Rickon, he sends out the hounds, and when the Maester is disgusted Theon says "Don't worry, it's all a game anyway"

Also the Lannister leitmotif is loving everywhere

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 8, 2016

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I guess? Tywin didn't really fight any Baratheons (except at Blackwater, and that was with Tyrell troops) and the Lannisters had already cuckooed the main Baratheon line by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funhilde posted:

The mother of the direwolves found in episode 1 died after attacking a stag. The stag and the wolf killed each other.

The stag and the wolf killed each other, but the children of the wolf live ;)

Bobo the Red posted:

I guess? Tywin didn't really fight any Baratheons (except at Blackwater, and that was with Tyrell troops) and the Lannisters had already cuckooed the main Baratheon line by then.

Nah but the Lannisters overall still take out the Baratheons and he's the head of House Lannister, so its symbolic.

Even more accurate would be if he was skinning a wolf, but that'd be too on the nose.

• Locked thread