Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ImpAtom posted:

The thing with Zenyatta is that he was designed around the idea of providing a passive buff to one ally and a debuff to another even when out of line of sight. However that was OP as poo poo and so they nerfed him. However they didn't rebalance him otherwise so his skillset is built around a gimmick he doesn't have anymore and so he has weaknesses that aren't in line with his skills. (Slow heal, low health, no mobility, only defensive option is an ult.)

Additionally he's the only healer with no way to keep himself alive, other than his (bad) ult. Mercy flies, Lucio self-heals + goes fast, Zen... has lower health and a wide hitbox??? His healing has travel time and doesn't particularly heal very fast (30 hp/sec), which is theoretically alright since he's also dealing decent damage, but that decent damage is locked behind Discord headshots which means he' has a lot of problems against barriers. Additionally, many popular heroes are really loving good at killing Zen (not that that's a huge feat).

I also wanted to talk about his ult because it's seriously Bad. It heals 130 HP every second for 6 seconds in a 10 meter area and makes him invulnerable for that duration. In terms of raw numbers this is actually pretty decent! It even charges at a sane speed if you're doing damage (faster than Lucio, slower than Mercy). But in practice it's just not that good. First off, 10 meters is actually not that large, but it's workable I guess. The bigger problem is that 130 every second just isn't that much compared to a lot of other ults' damage, especially the ones that instantly kill people. It'll keep you healthy through a Hanzo dragon, but it'll lose to a Pharah barrage (especially if the Pharah is amped and Zarya shielded or protected in some other way), Junkrat tire, Pulsebomb, Deadeye, and probably others I can't remember right now. Zen is even still vulnerable to movement effects while invulnerable, so you could just get pushed away by a roadhog. Another issue in practice is that allies often don't realize you're using it or just don't stay close enough to get a bonus.

My proposed fix is to give it a speed boost secondary effect, like 50-80% (lucio's default aura is 30%, amped is just shy of 120%), to both Zen and all allies within it. This makes it a strong initiation ult and allows you to react to instant-kill ults by moving away. It'd also let you catch up to those allies who are just outside the radius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SectumSempra posted:

out of curiosity, would mercy's truly be better in every single respect considering the damage for each of lucios shots is 16. Each of her shots is 20. Even assuming only 2 hit isn't neither radically better then the other?

Aside from doing more damage the projectiles also move faster and consequently are easier to land and don't fire in a weird burst, so yeah, Lucio's gun sucks.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Lucio's gun is really more about having extra poo poo in the mix for the enemy to avoid than it is about actually focusing on killing somebody.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Kai Tave posted:

Aside from doing more damage the projectiles also move faster and consequently are easier to land and don't fire in a weird burst, so yeah, Lucio's gun sucks.

I mainly use Lucio's gun for area denial. Hanzo sniping from a balcony? Lay down a constant stream of green balls left and right. Each shot doesn't do a huge amount of damage but they're a never-ending irritation. Also, vs stationary targets like turrets, if you get the whole stream of shots hitting it in a straight line, the damage adds up pretty fast. In close in fights like taking/defending a point it can actually make a difference, too. Also good for keeping a stream of light dps coming down heavily populated approach corridors. Anubis B, for instance... enemies standing out on the steps trying to shoot in or Widow/Pharahs on the top ledge above the stairs usually cut and run after a few seconds. It's as much the psychological effect of keeping up a constant threat as it is actually doing damage.

My accuracy is for absolute poo poo though.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
In close quarters its more consistent.

Blast someone back and then fire, they can't move until they land, and you can back away while firing.

It's also a wonderful reaction to being chained by roadhog.

But generally it snipes well to me anyway, and makes people avoid an area for a little longer.

But I'm also that weird guy who voluntarily uses support characters so I'm never looking for heavy damage anyhow.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Does this game actively punish you for solo queueing in competitive?

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

Ehud posted:

I wish there was a new character that was a giant insect

Maybe a giant beetle that is a tank.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The one advantage Lucio's gun has is that you can keep spamming it while healing unlike Mercy who has to pick between staff or gun, otherwise every positive ascribed to his weapon can just as easily be applied to Mercy's pistol only better, you can blast away with that thing and have the same spray-and-pray effect if you want, just with a 100 DPS gun instead of a 64 DPS one.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The introduction of competitive has given all those people who :spergin: about how QP is "just for practice" enough ammunition that I can't seem to enjoy the game at all now. Comp sucks and is flawed and just not worth the time ivnestment as it is, and now people just straight up don't even try in QP because lol it doesn't maaaatter four mccrees? Hilarious bro!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

cosmicjim posted:

Does this game actively punish you for solo queueing in competitive?

Up until last night, it had been really good about always matching me up with 11 other solo queues. Last night it did a terrible job of that, but for the most part the quality of the games wasn't noticeably different.

But solo queue competitive is insanely unfun, so it punishes you in that sense.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

my guess for sombra's kit:

M1: Mccree-style hitscan. Will heal allies and hurt enemies. Possibly no headshots
M2: Widow-style sniper rifle. Still heals/hurts. If it fully charges it does extra damage and tags enemies, making them do 30% less damage for a few seconds, tagging a new enemy removes the old tag. Maybe can tag allies for some bonus (less damage received?).

E: Biotic launcher, deploys a biotic field projector ala 76 to the location you're currently aiming. Larger area that 76's but heals much slower, closer to Lucio's aura. No cooldown but it has travel time and you can only have one active at a time.
Shift: Blink-dash thing, basically genji's dash. Has some unique property like it heals sombra or something, idk.

Ult: no clue

I sure hope it's better than this

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I didn't even realize until today (:pwn:) that the game tells you if you're playing against other solo players, or a group, or both.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

UP AND ADAM posted:

I sure hope it's better than this

:)

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Crusader online

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I hope they look to kh2's teleporting snipers as inspiration.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Verranicus posted:

The introduction of competitive has given all those people who :spergin: about how QP is "just for practice" enough ammunition that I can't seem to enjoy the game at all now. Comp sucks and is flawed and just not worth the time ivnestment as it is, and now people just straight up don't even try in QP because lol it doesn't maaaatter four mccrees? Hilarious bro!

People have been doing that since even before Competitive was on the public test region. Would be impossible to now but you could theoretically crawl through the many pages of this thread and see all of the people posting about 6 hero gimmicks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Her gun should be like that sniper glitch in Fallout 4 where you teleport after unscoping.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
gently caress I love proving big mouths wrong.

Comp KoTH and my team is getting smashed. I switch to Tourb as I always do on KoTH if my team can't push in. Dude rages in voice chat for the next two rounds as I proceed to assfuck our opponents. Last round with just me and a mercy giving me a damage boost I get a teamkill while they are respawning to clinch the win.

His shamed "You were right" as my PoTG played will power me for days.

Edit: Molten Core + Damage Boost = Shotgunner of Doooooom

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i hope blizzard puts travis touchdown in the new smash bros

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Efexeye posted:

I didn't even realize until today (:pwn:) that the game tells you if you're playing against other solo players, or a group, or both.

It does?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

i hope blizzard puts travis touchdown in the new smash bros

Me too

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

only on the original matchup splash screen after that it's lost forever

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raged posted:

gently caress I love proving big mouths wrong.

Comp KoTH and my team is getting smashed. I switch to Tourb as I always do on KoTH if my team can't push in. Dude rages in voice chat for the next two rounds as I proceed to assfuck our opponents. Last round with just me and a mercy giving me a damage boost I get a teamkill while they are respawning to clinch the win.

His shamed "You were right" as my PoTG played will power me for days.

Edit: Molten Core + Damage Boost = Shotgunner of Doooooom

I had a 3-man premade raging at me for using Reinhardt on KotH Hanamura the other night and about how bad I was as him. I was the only one that actually went on the Point at all, and had the Gold medal for Objective Time (all of about 35 seconds, no less). None of them went near the Point, and even actively bailed on my shield's protection go shoot people behind the hut.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I had a 3-man premade raging at me for using Reinhardt on KotH Hanamura the other night and about how bad I was as him. I was the only one that actually went on the Point at all, and had the Gold medal for Objective Time (all of about 35 seconds, no less). None of them went near the Point, and even actively bailed on my shield's protection go shoot people behind the hut.

"Attack the objective means shoot at it from a mile away, right?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bruceski posted:

"Attack the objective means shoot at it from a mile away, right?"

It wasnt even like I'd marched to my doom with them all dead or anything. I could see a pair of them going round the left side, the other three behind me... yet I was the only one to get into the roundhouse. And as I'd have about three of the enemy trying to circumnavigate my shield while I did my damndest to keep it between all three of them and myself, I have no loving clue what the others were doing.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
There should be a character who has a sniper rifle that doesn't headshot, but applies a debuff that makes the target take mini-crits. Also he has a grenade that does no damage but applies a debuff that makes those caught in the blast take mini-crits. The debuff is identified as being a yellow liquid dripping off the enemy.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

There should be a character who has a sniper rifle that doesn't headshot, but applies a debuff that makes the target take mini-crits. Also he has a grenade that does no damage but applies a debuff that makes those caught in the blast take mini-crits. The debuff is identified as being a yellow liquid dripping off the enemy.

There should be a hero with the bow from tf2

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Goon in-house is on: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

strong bird
May 12, 2009

This game needs the bomb blowing up at the end of the payload maps like in Deam Fortres s2 so you cna leap into the pit

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Eiba posted:

Jesus... well I guess that's incontrovertible evidence that he's bad. But why? I know he used to be one shot by Widowmaker... is he just a really easy target when everyone knows how to play or something? Or is it just an opportunity cost where any other "real" hero would do better?

I'm glad I'm playing at a level where he's viable (I've got a much better win rate with him than my overall win rate), 'cause he's really fun.

Dying to a bodyshot was pretty bad but it doesn't matter how survivable you make Zenyatta if his heals are single-target and slow -- bad heal output means someone that can never carry main heal duties, which means his best case scenario is still niche.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
[quote="Nehru the Damaja" post="461826248"]
Dying to a bodyshot was pretty bad but it doesn't matter how survivable you make Zenyatta if his heals are single-target and slow -- bad heal output means someone that can never carry main heal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81WGyJrwkic

I'm really good at this game y'all

Whoops sorry I quoted you, it's taking too long to delete so goodbye

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 7, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Dying to a bodyshot was pretty bad but it doesn't matter how survivable you make Zenyatta if his heals are single-target and slow -- bad heal output means someone that can never carry main heal duties, which means his best case scenario is still niche.

I'll admit that I continue to not understand the idea that because Zenyatta can't carry main heal duties this makes him fundamentally flawed. There are other characters in the game that can't shoulder an entire role's burden on their own without struggling and people don't say those characters are worthless as a result...if Roadhog is your only tank then he probably won't be up to the task BUT he's great paired with another tank like Zarya.

Zenyatta's problem is that even if you pair him with another support he doesn't suddenly thrive. He has a unique combination of low health and low mobility in a game where mobility is paramount, he has no panic button to extricate himself from bad situations, and his toolkit is a bit schizophrenic. Countblanc's breakdown of his ultimate is a good illustration of this, it doesn't help as much on aggressive pushes as Lucio's and it doesn't save your team from wiping like Mercy's so what is it for really? Hard-countering Hanzo dragons?

A lot of Zen's drawbacks seem to stem from an era where h could team up with Symmetra to create a 200 hitpoint regenerating Tracer and then stay hidden behind a wall for the rest of the match, but since losing that rightly nerfed capability he has all the remaining flaws but with nothing added to compensate. He doesn't need to be able to solo carry a team's healing needs, he just needs to have greater value as an inclusion in some capacity.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I hope the support sniper is Liao because we don't know anything about them yet and because the "support sniper = Sombra = Ana Amari" theories are shaky as gently caress and everyone keeps repeating them like god's truth

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
https://www.twitch.tv/tvique

this guy's aim is so good it's ridiculous. He says he's had about 10k hours of FPS experience.

I found this very helpful, because it made me realize I would much rather put 10k hours into developing almost any other skill

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tviq was one of the best snipers in tf2 and is on one of the best overwatch teams in europe atm. he's just good. most people won't be nearly as good as he is at the same amount of investment

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

piratepilates posted:

They should just rip off UT99 mutators for a while.

I had no idea how much I missed and loved those mutators until this post. I think this is a fantastic idea!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Manatee Cannon posted:

tviq was one of the best snipers in tf2 and is on one of the best overwatch teams in europe atm. he's just good. most people won't be nearly as good as he is at the same amount of investment

Yea watching him play mccree was depressing. :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

He also currently has the best or second best comp MMR.

E: lol, he just got match made into a game with a solo queue teammate who's rank 52. And the other team is max 66 I think (versus his 85). I'm surprised people don't just leave immediately.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 7, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
if d.va is the gamer hero why can't she tea bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It wasnt even like I'd marched to my doom with them all dead or anything. I could see a pair of them going round the left side, the other three behind me... yet I was the only one to get into the roundhouse. And as I'd have about three of the enemy trying to circumnavigate my shield while I did my damndest to keep it between all three of them and myself, I have no loving clue what the others were doing.

I have the same problem as Rein. Since he's melee my prime instinct is to walk onto the objective point and hit anyone red who's there, and the shooters don't seem to feel the same way about it. I don't know if they're hanging back taking potshots or off in useless-land looking for someone alone to ambush (not to be confused with useful flankers), I wind up too busy desperately spinning and wondering why nobody else's response to a KotH the enemy has at 90% isn't "stand on the loving point to stop the count".