Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Fuzz posted:

On the flipside, don't play with minmaxing dickheads. That's my rule. :smugbert:

Hi! It's me, I'm Gaary the wookiee! I don't think I'm min-maxing, I just put points in hitting things with an axe because that is what she likes to do. I don't even slightly know the system well enough to min-max it, I just wanted to play a huge fuzzy murderer.

Sorry about your squishy Jedi, Shinedog. Except I'm not sorry at all because she was a dick and nearly lightsabered me in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Kojiro posted:

Hi! It's me, I'm Gaary the wookiee! I don't think I'm min-maxing, I just put points in hitting things with an axe because that is what she likes to do. I don't even slightly know the system well enough to min-max it, I just wanted to play a huge fuzzy murderer.

Sorry about your squishy Jedi, Shinedog. Except I'm not sorry at all because she was a dick and nearly lightsabered me in half.

As a fellow Wookie Axe-murder, I offer my full support to Gaary.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I offer my sympathy to ShineDog, and hope that Gaary ends up with as good an arc as Savidudeosoo's (Kallabecca), who sacrificed himself to hit Darth Vader with a door to save the rest of the party.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 7, 2016

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

karmicknight posted:

I offer my sympathy to ShineDog, and hope that Gaary ends up with as good an arc as Savidudeosoo's (Kallabecca), who sacrificed himself to hit Darth Vader a door to save the rest of the party.

I still blame GunBat. Poor Vader just wanted to spend the afternoon scrap booking.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

karmicknight posted:

I offer my sympathy to ShineDog, and hope that Gaary ends up with as good an arc as Savidudeosoo's (Kallabecca), who sacrificed himself to hit Darth Vader with a door to save the rest of the party.

:gowron:

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

I sure as hell wasn't going to use a wimpy rear end blaster to challenge the Dark Lord of the Sith.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

He was leading a slave revolt the still under construction Death Star. He breaks open a weapons locker to arm his Wookiees. Since this is the Death Star, all there are are blasters, so he improvises a melee weapon as uses the door, since he was the Melee Wookiee.

Savidudeosoo posted:

I sure as hell wasn't going to use a wimpy rear end blaster to challenge the Dark Lord of the Sith.

Who wasn't even around when you asked, "If there are only blasters, can I like, use the door?"

edit: Darth Vader only gave a poo poo about the situation because another party member shut down power on an entire hemisphere of the Death Star.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 7, 2016

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

This reminds me I'll probably have to put some thought into how to seriously threaten the wookiee armorer/soresu defender one of my players is building for our next campaign

Particularly by mid-game, once he's got 24-25 wounds, 7-8 soak and has started either ranking up parry/reflect or putting points into Protect.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

PupsOfWar posted:

This reminds me I'll probably have to put some thought into how to seriously threaten the wookiee armorer/soresu defender one of my players is building for our next campaign

Particularly by mid-game, once he's got 24-25 wounds, 7-8 soak and has started either ranking up parry/reflect or putting points into Protect.

Give some opponents Scathing Tirade.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I think gaary is pushing this with 100xp ☺

Also, gaary got herself a shield generator.

Also sorry kojiro I never meant to accuse you of minmaxing like that, I more meant it as a possible issue i might have with the system. A particular worry is 'what happens when a baddie set up to threaten Gaary the nascent jedi wookie truck takes a pop at Haakon Ghast, squishy chiss science man.'

The answer is comedy so it should be ok.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 7, 2016

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

ShineDog posted:

I think gaary is pushing this with 100xp ☺

Also, gaary got herself a shield generator.

Also sorry kojiro I never meant to accuse you of minmaxing like that, I more meant it as a possible issue i might have with the system. A particular worry is 'what happens when a baddie set up to threaten Gaary the nascent jedi wookie truck takes a pop at Haakon Ghast, squishy chiss science man.'

The answer is comedy so it should be ok.

Pffh, no offence taken, it is a legit concern. If you have to throttle the XP or fiddle with the character sheet or something that is fine. Gaary can wait for murders.

She can wait a long time.

And yes wow hitting Darth Vader with a door is a pretty amazing way to go! That is a definite career goal.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kojiro posted:

And yes wow hitting Darth Vader with a door is a pretty amazing way to go! That is a definite career goal.

No now you need to hit THE EMPEROR with a door.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Kojiro posted:

Fuzz posted:

Approaching IG-88 levels here

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Running an EotE game using Shadowrun modules as an initial campaign base is a perfectly legit thing to do, right? It seems like it'd fit right in without too much working around. I assume others have done it - how has it worked out?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Fuzz posted:

:perfect:

Currently her goal is to eat as many meats as possible (I am keeping a list) but this may be the new goal.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

Use a couple of Electrostaff gladiator type with a big gently caress off Brawn score and couple of melee talents. All those parry points are just going to convert the strain damage into....strain damage minus a couple of points lol. Turns out those Bodyguard droids that Grievous uses are hilariously good against jedi.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

WELLPPPPP

I found out today I've been doing vehicle vs person combat completely wrong all these years and finding out the actual way it works is maybe the dumbest thing. Guess I'll stick to my accidental house rule now.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
So what does your system do different/wrong, you're supposed to share 😛

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

DemonMage posted:

So what does your system do different/wrong, you're supposed to share 😛

I thought only the armour was x10 against personal weapons not the health + strain too. So now poo poo like a missile launcher or a lightsaber cant hurt AT-ST and its a nightmare to even pretend to fight vehicles.

:negative:

I kinda like the players being able to shoot down TIE Fighters with rockets and have force users hack through the legs of some of the lighter walkers.

Looking at it now I'd just change things up to
-Armour x10, not strain and health
-All vehicles have minimum Armour 1

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

kingcom posted:

I thought only the armour was x10 against personal weapons not the health + strain too. So now poo poo like a missile launcher or a lightsaber cant hurt AT-ST and its a nightmare to even pretend to fight vehicles.

:negative:

I kinda like the players being able to shoot down TIE Fighters with rockets and have force users hack through the legs of some of the lighter walkers.

Looking at it now I'd just change things up to
-Armour x10, not strain and health
-All vehicles have minimum Armour 1

They can still get criticals. You always had to exceed armor in order to get criticals, or were you allowing criticals without surpassing armor?? AT-ST has armor of 30. And you could always allow Triumphs to be spent on special narrative actions like when Luke opens the bottom hatch on an AT-AT with his lightsaber to toss a grenade into it.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

kingcom posted:

Use a couple of Electrostaff gladiator type with a big gently caress off Brawn score and couple of melee talents. All those parry points are just going to convert the strain damage into....strain damage minus a couple of points lol. Turns out those Bodyguard droids that Grievous uses are hilariously good against jedi.

I was thinking of semi-regularly providing contexts in which he has to remain inconspicuous and can't suit up in whatever terrifying suit of battle-armor he's going to make.

And, when he is fully kitted up, just coming up with a lot of mass combats where the enemy will have artillery and bombs at their disposal

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

They can still get criticals. You always had to exceed armor in order to get criticals, or were you allowing criticals without surpassing armor?? AT-ST has armor of 30. And you could always allow Triumphs to be spent on special narrative actions like when Luke opens the bottom hatch on an AT-AT with his lightsaber to toss a grenade into it.

So what I was doing was having damage go on a 1 to 1 ratio for personal weapons to vehicle weapons after armour.

e.g. I should a missile and get 3 success, Breach 1 through the armour, 20 damage reduced by armour. That causes 3 damage to the AT-ST and if you got advantages to cause a crit. The actual result is 0 damage and potential crit.

PupsOfWar posted:

I was thinking of semi-regularly providing contexts in which he has to remain inconspicuous and can't suit up in whatever terrifying suit of battle-armor he's going to make.

And, when he is fully kitted up, just coming up with a lot of mass combats where the enemy will have artillery and bombs at their disposal

Thats definitely an option though correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think you can use deflection on stuff that isn't targetting you. So you throw a blast weapon next to them and use advantage to trigger the blast damage on them. Sabine grenading the Inquisitor essentially so thats another fun option.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 8, 2016

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

ShineDog posted:

I more meant it as a possible issue i might have with the system. A particular worry is 'what happens when a baddie set up to threaten Gaary the nascent jedi wookie truck takes a pop at Haakon Ghast, squishy chiss science man.'

Ideally, I feel like that shouldn't happen. If the party consists of a handful of squishy people with one heavily armored brute, the encounters should tend to fit that; a handful of grunts with light weapons, and one enforcer packing the big gun to deal with anything crazy. This effectively divides the fight into separate weight classes. The grunts can't even hurt the party's brute most of the time, so they're likely to focus on the most threatening squishy targets. The enforcer could go for the squishy targets too, but that leaves the party's brute free to clobber people without any threat, so the enforcer's most sensible course of action is to pin down the party's brute and leave the squishy targets to the grunts.

This is something that I really like about the system. Other systems have the same problem with player characters in the same party not always sharing the same level of combat effectiveness, but this system is capable of addressing it by sectioning off the fight because of the way soak works, the way range directly affects the difficulty of attacks, and how limited movement can be in combat.

Something I don't have an immediate answer for, though, is how to make an extreme-range sniper player feel adequately threatened. Not every fight can be an ambush or take place in a cramped environment, and putting a counter-sniper on the enemy team in every fight feels unnatural.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Vanguard Warden posted:

Something I don't have an immediate answer for, though, is how to make an extreme-range sniper player feel adequately threatened. Not every fight can be an ambush or take place in a cramped environment, and putting a counter-sniper on the enemy team in every fight feels unnatural.

Buzz droid launchers. Small fast moving stuff like that in general is pretty handy, just make their sniper position itself end up as a hazard, stuff below him cutting the supports out if he isnt moving after a shot or two.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 8, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Wildly missed the starwars mood in this weekends session, ended up with the bodyhorror strogg version of this guy

You know when you realize the mistake of tone in an adventure early on but you kind of have to press through uncomfortably anyway?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Have they released an old republic supplement for this yet?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I doubt they ever will. Until the new eu
Address ancient history in detail anyway.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Eh, the game's pretty fine with bringing in Legends stuff as it is.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I ran a prequel era game and a friend ran a KOTOR era game with not a lot of difficulty. Just change a few names of the stat blocks given and have more Jedi running about. Not super hard to reskin

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Like at a certain point it's a question of what material it is that you're looking for that isn't already done or will be done by what they have planned.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Force & Destiny would work fine for KOTOR, just make players knight level from the start.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I ran a game set in the Mandalorian War. It was a lot of fun. We adapted Age of Rebellion to represent the Republic Military under Revan. They met Revan once (after they fought their way through a Mandalorian ship with the five of them, set its reactor to blow, and then used basilisk war droids to drop, because they had disabled the escape pods, causing one of the biggest early victories for the republic), and were super pumped by it.

I also played in a Force and Destiny based campaign set during TORs sacking of coruscant. We were padawans who all saw our masters cut down infront of us by Malgus and his forces. Our characters were on the darker end of the FaD lines, where we left the Order after the treaty, because we were going to go find and kill Malgus and his Sith allies who killed our masters, whether there was war ongoing or not. Still generally were nice people, but the Jedi were not pleased with us.

The one change i made to both was that so long as the target was reasonably well armed (not a simple gangster etc) their items all had cortosis. And every melee weapon and most armors had cortosis for free for the PCs.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 11, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ShineDog posted:

I doubt they ever will. Until the new eu
Address ancient history in detail anyway.

They already have to a lot of extent. Revan and Exar Kun are true canon, at least, and that's like a solid 50% of the Old Republic stuff, basically. The details may not be canon, but they definitely existed. So did Darth Bane, I believe. Both are referred to (directly for Kun, indirectly for Revan) in the Clone Wars/Rebels shows. Revan supposedly may get a reference in the new films, but I seriously doubt it.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
When does exar kun get mentioned?

Also I still don't think it's going to come up until it's an actual focus for Disney, is all I meant. I know the period exists, I just don't think it's a priority.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ShineDog posted:

Also I still don't think it's going to come up until it's an actual focus for Disney, is all I meant. I know the period exists, I just don't think it's a priority.

They find an old doomsday weapon on Malicor (which was hosed up to begin with), the same world Revan used a doomsday weapon on.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
And the visual guide to Force Awakens namechecks several planets on Luke's map as Old Republic things. (I think Space Ireland might actually have been Tython, or else Tython was on the itinerary.)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ShineDog posted:

The Massassi Temple stuff comes up in the new Marvel comic line, which is canon.

And yeah, Malachor V comes up in Rebels.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

unseenlibrarian posted:

And the visual guide to Force Awakens namechecks several planets on Luke's map as Old Republic things. (I think Space Ireland might actually have been Tython, or else Tython was on the itinerary.)

Space Ireland is the planet Ahch-To

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

jivjov posted:

Space Ireland is the planet Ahch-To

The planet where they developed the legendary power of Force Sneeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Is it still part of the Euw-Ro P system though?