Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Why so snippy, IBMS?

it is a bad idea to cast coco into a wrath, just for a chance you might hit queller, cause if you dont hit it all you have done is wasted your way of coming back from said wrath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mandatory lesbian posted:

it is a bad idea to cast coco into a wrath, just for a chance you might hit queller, cause if you dont hit it all you have done is wasted your way of coming back from said wrath

Yeah, I'm aware. Not what I was getting at.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
pretty much the only time that would be correct is if you know queller is on top, which i guess means brainstorm reprint confirmed

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Spell Queller is a good card just on being a 2/3 flash flier for 1WU.

O-ringing a spell on top is sending it over the top. Brutal tempo play. And you still have a second change to hit the spell if the Queller gets quelled.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mandatory lesbian posted:

pretty much the only time that would be correct is if you know queller is on top in the top 6
FTFY. It's pretty good odds that it will be at any point in the game if you're running 4.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I have been playing lots of pauper recently and think that the Peregrine Drake is pretty powerful but fast decks still do pretty good. The three versions of Drake I have seen are what I would call Blue/Black good stuff, Blue/White control, and Drake-Tron.

I am not sure what the Tron player was trying to do because I wrecked him a bit too quickly. And that is the only downside to these Drake decks. If they get to turn 6, they can get pretty good board position by playing a Drake and then a Muldrifter.

I have a R/G madness deck that really wishes Arrogant Wurm had haste instead of trample but is still pretty quick, I can usually do quick a bit of damage by turn 6 and have won games off of flashbacking Firebolts.

I have a pauper Boogles that is just W/G hexproof creatures and that does well against Drake decks too. I usually side in 4x Sound the Alarm for Cruel/Diabolic Edicts and rode a 1/1 solider token with a Rancor to a win. Hexproof is really good in pauper with people who do not have sideboards that can deal with it.

I played a pauper infinite life deck. We played Draw Go for like 8 turns then the opponent tapped out for a Drake/Muldrifter and so on my turn I dropped my Nomads en-Kor and Task Force, pumped by Task Force to like 200 something toughness and cast Sheltering Word. I had the Drake player quit on me after that. Guess he didn't want to see one of the two win conditions I play; one Brush with Death and one Sprout Swarm.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Another situation where you'd want to answer wrath with coco is if the wrath will generate enough Zulaport Cutthroat triggers to kill you.

Yawgmoth posted:

FTFY. It's pretty good odds that it will be at any point in the game if you're running 4.

Eh, in general it's a bit under a 36% chance of success. Under fairly ideal conditions -- you're on the play and haven't drawn any Quellers yet, and Coco in response to your opponent's turn 4 Languish -- your probability of success still only goes up to 41%. Those aren't terrible odds, but they're not necessarily the sort of odds you want to bet wasting a Coco on.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yawgmoth posted:

But a miss and you're completely hosed because your board and your recovery have been both tossed into the abyss. Too big of a risk imo.

Coco with Queller in response to other things is good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Another situation where you'd want to answer wrath with coco is if the wrath will generate enough Zulaport Cutthroat triggers to kill you.

Eh, in general it's a bit under a 36% chance of success. Under fairly ideal conditions -- you're on the play and haven't drawn any Quellers yet, and Coco in response to your opponent's turn 4 Languish -- your probability of success still only goes up to 41%. Those aren't terrible odds, but they're not necessarily the sort of odds you want to bet wasting a Coco on.

It's a reasonably narrow play to try and fish for a counter to something like Languish (which will kill the Queller itself, obviously, but might be useful in certain cases such as your opponent swings in and has lethal on board next turn, and if the Languish resolves you won't), but its worth playing anyways because Spell Queller naturally has Flash and CoCoing into O-Ringing various other spells isn't really a bad deal. It's still a little busted.

Basically, I don't know why you wouldn't run Spell Queller in Bant CoCo, at the very least as a bunch of them in the board.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 7, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If it was an on cast trigger, whether or not you include Quellers in your CoCo deck would've at least been an interesting decision.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Man that spell queller is confusing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It is very good. I kindof hope they somehow put "when you cast this spell, flicker a creature" on a =<4 CMC spell some day to really break the game open.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I'm looking to get into paper Magic for the first time, just a bit concerned that I'm going to be hanging around a bunch of 15 year olds. Anyone mind letting me know what kind of age range I should expect?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Is everyone else missing the fact that even if you do snipe a Languish or something with that guy it just lets your opponent wipe your board at instant speed by killing it?

Also lol at casting a Company into a Wrath.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A Magical Lamp posted:

I'm looking to get into paper Magic for the first time, just a bit concerned that I'm going to be hanging around a bunch of 15 year olds. Anyone mind letting me know what kind of age range I should expect?

I would assume the average LGS demo is actually a lot older.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ya at our place we play in a bar, so... Then again there's another shop nearby that does magic birthday parties and such and I'd say the median age there is about 14. It depends.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Who knew Sylvan Advocate was a shrine of little elven effigies

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

A Magical Lamp posted:

15 year olds can't afford constructed decks. I'd say the average age at every LGS I've ever been to is like 25.

suicidesteve posted:

Is everyone else missing the fact that even if you do snipe a Languish or something with that guy it just lets your opponent wipe your board at instant speed by killing it?

You're less likely to cast Company into a rather than just casting Spell Queller itself, but there are edge cases where you might consider it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 7, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

A Magical Lamp posted:

I'll out myself and say I'm 28, and last time I went to my LGS I played against people who were definitely older than me. You'll be fine (until a 12-year old dunks on you out of nowhere)

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

A Magical Lamp posted:

There are a few in my city and a couple tend to be your younger high school/college kids, but the LGS I normally go to has an age range from 10 to 50-something. Average there is mid to late 20s, and everyone has a pretty good maturity level even if they're on the younger side.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

A Magical Lamp posted:

If it's anything like my LGS it'll be mostly 25-35 year old guys with a group of maybe 4-6 high schoolers with rich parents.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
That's good to know, I'll check it out and see if I can put together an affordable starting out deck.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

C-Euro posted:

I'll out myself and say I'm 28, and last time I went to my LGS I played against people who were definitely older than me. You'll be fine (until a 12-year old dunks on you out of nowhere)

...and that kid, was Owen Turtenwald

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I can't wait for coco to rotate and bant tempo to become UW tempo

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

I think the idea is they're in the hole so they're having to cast Languish, then it gets sniped and then they get pummeled by even more dudes since their ace-in-the-hole against coco is now just in a hole.

quote:

Mostly this though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Knightly Valor's less vigilant cousin.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Elyv posted:

don't talk to me or my son ever again

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It's got better art at least!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's worth noting that spell queller is absolutely disgusting with displacer once you get to being able to blink it twice. In case you needed anything else disgusting to do with cryptolith rite.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The emotional age of the players at most stores is sadly lower than their physical ones, however.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Rinkles posted:

Who knew Sylvan Advocate was a shrine of little elven effigies

I thought those were belts at first.

Boco_T posted:

don't talk to me or my son ever again

First thing I thought of as well.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jabor posted:

It's worth noting that spell queller is absolutely disgusting with displacer once you get to being able to blink it twice. In case you needed anything else disgusting to do with cryptolith rite.

Go on...

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It turns out spectral shephard is a card that does disgusting things with spell queller, and now I want them to reprint drogskol captain.

give me the tier 1 UW spirits deck and/or UB zombies deck(s) and I'll be happy with this set

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Toshimo posted:

Go on...

So essentially, your opponent casts a spell, you blink queller once. You get to stack the triggers in whatever order you like (since you control the queller), so put the exile-a-spell trigger on the stack first (targeting the spell your opponent just cast), and the recast-the-spell trigger second.

The recast trigger resolves, and your opponent recasts their earlier spell. Then you blink queller a second time. This time, the leaves-play trigger does nothing (because the corresponding exile-a-spell trigger hasn't resolved), but you get to re-exile the spell that they just re-cast.

Finally, the other exile-a-spell trigger resolves, permanently getting rid of the spell they cast originally. With the net result being that you spent 6 mana to exile your opponent's spell. Repeatably.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

GeneX posted:

It turns out spectral shephard is a card that does disgusting things with spell queller, and now I want them to reprint drogskol captain.

give me the tier 1 UW spirits deck and/or UB zombies deck(s) and I'll be happy with this set

Yes please

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I hope that Spell Queller/Spectral Shepherd/Displacer becomes a deck so it can get absolutely wrecked by Kozilek's Return/World Breaker/Ulamog decks. (just kidding they will outtempo ramp decks super hard).

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Elyv posted:

They should have just reprinted Raised By Wolves.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
We are through the looking glass of #mtgfinance

Martin Shkreli, real-life troll and douchebag most notable for jacking up the price of some drugs, buying the only copy of that wu-tang album, getting indicted for fraud, and generally doing whatever he can to get himself the most negative attention possible, is looking to invest in magic.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i bounce between two different LGS. pats games seems to be more college students in the 20-24 year old crowd, but Mothership Games up in north austin seems to be guys in late 20s to early 40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Minority Deport posted:

We are through the looking glass of #mtgfinance

Martin Shkreli, real-life troll and douchebag most notable for jacking up the price of some drugs, buying the only copy of that wu-tang album, getting indicted for fraud, and generally doing whatever he can to get himself the most negative attention possible, is looking to invest in magic.

The hero mtgfinance deserves

• Locked thread