Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I wish the oil worked differently. The way they implemented the RSO-like feature causes gigantic oil fields to spawn but they deplete just the same. If, maybe, they just had a production multiplier the further away, that would be great. In other words, instead of spawning 68 oil pools (I estimated 50 and brought 60 pump jacks, and was 8 short), maybe spawn half as many, but they produce twice the oil and decay to 0.2/sec. It takes so much time to setup 68 pump jacks and connecting them all to power and plumbing and it would give the same effect as half the pools providing twice the oil long term, or one quarter the pools for four times the oil.
I feel like the ridiculous quantity is a work around to the way they implemented oil decay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can't you personally change that yourself? Set oil richness a tad higher and set frequency lower?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Loopoo posted:

Can't you personally change that yourself? Set oil richness a tad higher and set frequency lower?

That doesn’t change their end state of 0.1 units ∕ second. It just delays it.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
The fact that it doesn't decay to 0 already feels like a huge freebie to me. If you just want to make the game even easier then just mod a bunch of free resources or whatever.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ore is fun because I can make a blueprint of miners and tile it onto the ore field, oil is not fun because no matter what it has to all be done by hand, and is incredibly tedious.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Also ore will always give you the same rate amount per miner if there is ore underneath. Oil varies so much and lowers quickly it adds to the pain of managing how much you are working with.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Platystemon posted:

Maybe they don’t have enough electrical power?

I know I replaced them so they were going the right way, but power could be an issue, thanks.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Lorini posted:

I know I replaced them so they were going the right way, but power could be an issue, thanks.

Replacement doesn't guarantee same facing. Always double-check.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
If you look closely at the art, there are a bunch of little arrows and triangles on things that show you what direction they are pointing. Inserters have 3 legs that form a triangle pointing in the output direction.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zo posted:

The fact that it doesn't decay to 0 already feels like a huge freebie to me. If you just want to make the game even easier then just mod a bunch of free resources or whatever.

A set of 60 oil wells delivering .1/sec each is pretty miserable still. That's 6 oil per second. One assembler can fill barrels with that rate and still have time between fills. Oil is a PITA to deploy. If they changed oil to be just like an ore patch, I'd be fine with decay to zero. As long as I can plop down a grid of 16 pump jacks with pipes and power late game and not have to deal with the tedium of how it works now.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Mr. Powers posted:

A set of 60 oil wells delivering .1/sec each is pretty miserable still. That's 6 oil per second. One assembler can fill barrels with that rate and still have time between fills. Oil is a PITA to deploy. If they changed oil to be just like an ore patch, I'd be fine with decay to zero. As long as I can plop down a grid of 16 pump jacks with pipes and power late game and not have to deal with the tedium of how it works now.

By the time fields are running dry you should be able to stack them with tons of speed modules and speed beacons. You can get most of them to around 400-500% speed. I've never had a single problem with oil at any stage of the game. More the opposite, since once you have enough pumpjacks, even completely decayed, you don't need to get more oil ever again. Each pump is a permanent increase in oil, which i think is pretty silly.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 31, 2022

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Phssthpok posted:

If you look closely at the art, there are a bunch of little arrows and triangles on things that show you what direction they are pointing. Inserters have 3 legs that form a triangle pointing in the output direction.

Or just press Alt to turn on detailed information, then in the settings change it to show inserter directional arrows.

They do a great job making the art detailed enough to stand on its own though.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Are stack inserters just a straight upgrade to fast inserters except for the big increase in power draw?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

RVT posted:

Are stack inserters just a straight upgrade to fast inserters except for the big increase in power draw?

And price, but yea

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

oil chat

Oil production is the result of three variables: current amount, "normal" amount, and minimum.
Pumpjacks extract [current]/[normal] units per second. When the amount drops to [minimum], it stops depleting but the pumpjack keeps producing oil.

The default minimum is 1500 and normal is 15000. This means when a deposit is reduced to 1500 units, it will still yield oil at 1500/15000 = 0.1 units/second. A deposit with 46788 oil will yield 3.12 oil/sec, and will show a yield of 312% in the info panel.

One thing to bear in mind about modding minimum values: minimum merely tells the game to stop depleting the deposit amount, if a field has a value below the minimum it will yield oil at below the minimum expected rate. Changing the minimum will not increase the yield of existing depleted oil fields.

So all that said, the simplest way to raise your desired minimum yield is to lower the normal value. This will give you 0.5 oil/sec from existing depleted fields, for example:
code:
data.raw["resource"]["crude-oil"].normal = 3000
On the other hand, this will make yield decline asymptotically toward zero:
code:
data.raw["resource"]["crude-oil"].minimum = 1
(I can't remember if 0 causes issues or not)

Bear in mind that pumpjack output is capped at 10 oil/sec

GotLag fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 7, 2016

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

In the interest of providing more multiplayer before the goddamn 4-bug is resolved, i have launched a second instance of my factorio server. It is a slightly different map than the other instance but that's just to keep things fresh.
The connect info is all the same, except the port is 34100
If you need a refresher: it's all in this thread
Both instances are capped at 3 simultaneous players which sucks, but such is life

Regallion fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 7, 2016

Qubee
May 31, 2013

what's the 4-bug?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Loopoo posted:

what's the 4-bug?

At least my server has a cool bug, where in any version that start with 13 (not 12.35) the game will hang if more than 3 human players try to join.
That means each instance can have a server+3 people in it, for a total of 4 entities, hence the 4-bug.
I got no clue WHY that is so, but it's a v13 thing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think I'm finally digging the new inserter mechanics, or at the very least adapting my builds to them. I'm unloading train cars with 4 inserters instead of the 12 I could potentially use, and going between belts and containers or assemblers is much nicer now.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Last night I set up the rocket parts in my lazy bastard game, I thought about just going to sleep with it running. The ultimate Lazy Bastard, but I decided against it just in case. I only bothered to set up 5 assemblers for each because I just want to have it set up and let it run though and it got me thinking about 1 rocket/minute. For anyone who's done it, how many furnaces did you need because it feels like that's a massive number of iron/copper plates?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Chakan posted:

Last night I set up the rocket parts in my lazy bastard game, I thought about just going to sleep with it running. The ultimate Lazy Bastard, but I decided against it just in case. I only bothered to set up 5 assemblers for each because I just want to have it set up and let it run though and it got me thinking about 1 rocket/minute. For anyone who's done it, how many furnaces did you need because it feels like that's a massive number of iron/copper plates?
There's some concise guides on doing it for real with proper moduling and beaconing, because rocket per minute is some serious module maximization stuff.

But I had a sheet set up to do things without modules because that's usually how far I get in my game, so I plugged in a rocket per minute and came up with 6400 furnaces.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

I think I'm finally digging the new inserter mechanics, or at the very least adapting my builds to them. I'm unloading train cars with 4 inserters instead of the 12 I could potentially use, and going between belts and containers or assemblers is much nicer now.

Same here. My designs have settled on 3 per side of each carriage with 8 spaces between each unloading station it just fits and gives me reasonable balancing.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

But three is so annoying to evenly balance.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Pfft, 12 Stack Inserters for trains per car. Empty that poo poo out in a hurry. Also load it in a big hurry too. I love the new smart trains, and being able to say "If you're at a station and a train comes up behind you more full than you are, get out of the way". Now I just have more metals coming in than I can deal with and my forges are permanently on. It's great :allears:

Edit: Two ways to unload in a hurry; The Crazy Man's Way:

And the Sane Man's Way:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 7, 2016

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Evilreaver posted:

Pfft, 12 Stack Inserters for trains per car. Empty that poo poo out in a hurry. Also load it in a big hurry too. I love the new smart trains, and being able to say "If you're at a station and a train comes up behind you more full than you are, get out of the way". Now I just have more metals coming in than I can deal with and my forges are permanently on. It's great :allears:

Your posting in combo with your avatar makes me picture a cyborg george costanza just constantly prowling around a factory upgrading stuff, hilarious mental image. Keep it up, all of it.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Has anyone tried the Uranium Power mod? It looks complex enough that the effectively infinite, huge power supply isn't too gamey, and anything that frees me from the tedium of solar panels sounds incredible.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
With new stack inserters and train logic it is cool to have fast unload and be able to reuse train cars for optimal car usage.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Voxx posted:

With new stack inserters and train logic it is cool to have fast unload and be able to reuse train cars for optimal car usage.

reuse them how

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Evilreaver posted:

The cars only fit 2k in, 6 inserters empty it pretty drat sharpish. I started building stations in 0.13 with filled sides but for me it wasn't worth the extra effort jamming the belts in. I lay on one unloading station per furnace and at least one train per station.

Nostrum posted:

Has anyone tried the Uranium Power mod? It looks complex enough that the effectively infinite, huge power supply isn't too gamey, and anything that frees me from the tedium of solar panels sounds incredible.

We used it in a couple of MP games 6 months ago. It's stupidly complex to put together and the pipe work is a pure bitch (Drone did the build and hated it). Plus it doesn't ever use any fuel so it runs max power forever on the first set of rods you put in. It's not been completed. Reading the latest forum posts, fuel degradation will be part of the next version released.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I finally started playing this game again.

I have no idea what I'm doing anymore. It's kind of fun.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Loopoo posted:

reuse them how
You can do some neat logic things. A train station can turn itself off unless it has a load of cargo ready. Filter stack inserters can make it so it's ok if your trains have some wrong cargo at a particular station.

The new circuit mechanics are really fun. I was particularly proud of a joint iron/steel outpost that turned off the steel production whenever there was more of it than plates waiting to be loaded.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Persistence paid off. I've got a near perfect map for the spoon run now - not too many trees, 2 large iron patches, 2 coal, 2 copper and 1 stone all near each other. A huge oil patch right next to them and space to expand into. There's a lake in the middle of the building area but I can landfill that soon as I get green science going. I reckon I need blue science working by 3-4 hours in for this to work. This is the map string if you want to save yourself the trouble:

code:
>>>AAANAAYAAAADAQYAAAAEAAAAY29hbAMFBQoAAABjb3BwZXItb3Jl
AwUFCQAAAGNydWRlLW9pbAMFBQoAAABlbmVteS1iYXNlAgMFCAAAAGl
yb24tb3JlAwUFBQAAAHN0b25lAwMFPDf37AAAAAAAAAAABQBCRVvb<<<

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I know there was some talk earlier about the steam workshop instead of roll-your-own mod portal. Here's a recent post from the C:SL thread.

Metrication posted:

it seems one of the best asset makers ngon has had a massive tantrum and removed all his content from the workshop (leaving big gaps in my city)

you can download his stuff manually from here

http://smods.ru/?s=Ngon

put it in here

C:\Users\ yourusername\AppData\Local\Colossal order\Cities_Skylines\Addons\Assets

This is a pretty big strike against the workshop.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
But then also Kerbal Space Program had issues both with forhetting to renew their own mod hub's address and sending them to a boilerplate ad and malware squatter. As well as a home grown mod download hub getting boycotted over licensing rights.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

zedprime posted:

But then also Kerbal Space Program had issues both with forhetting to renew their own mod hub's address and sending them to a boilerplate ad and malware squatter. As well as a home grown mod download hub getting boycotted over licensing rights.

With Factorio integrating it in game, I would hope they've just got it on something like modportal.factorio.com so that they won't forget. I'd also hope they have some sort of authentication of the server, maybe by SSL Cert. It's a lot of hope.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Powers posted:

With Factorio integrating it in game, I would hope they've just got it on something like modportal.factorio.com so that they won't forget. I'd also hope they have some sort of authentication of the server, maybe by SSL Cert. It's a lot of hope.

It is indeed https://mods.factorio.com/ and since you can use https I'm pretty sure it's secured.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Solumin posted:

It is indeed https://mods.factorio.com/ and since you can use https I'm pretty sure it's secured.

That doesn't mean the game client validates the cert. Running an MP server, though, it seems they've got a good handle on authentication, so they have the brains to authenticate the server, it's just a question of whether they do or not.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Powers posted:

That doesn't mean the game client validates the cert. Running an MP server, though, it seems they've got a good handle on authentication, so they have the brains to authenticate the server, it's just a question of whether they do or not.

Right, forgot about in-game. They do generally seem pretty competent, but then again people have been pointing out how half-assed the mod portal is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm trying to learn circuits and advanced fun features. I got the easy stuff (signal transmission, linkups, basic a->b stuff), I just need some help with the tougher stuff (deciders, conditionals, math, memory)

I'm trying to get a 10-segment Lamp 'progress bar' to keep track of an inventory, from 1-100%. That part's dead simple. I would also like:

a) The bar to be green if the number is increasing or steady relative to, ideally, a minute ago (though previous tick is also ok) and red otherwise
b) The 'top' segment of the bar to be the only color-changer, the rest are white, or ideally 'chosen color' via Constant Combinator
c) The bar is easily blueprintable and can be hooked to anything with just changing a Constant-- the 'easy' progress bar needs to have all 10 lamps with their X>Y set in divisions of 10% by hand, it would be much easier to have lamp 1,2,3 be >10%, >20%, >30% getting a 1-100 number from a signal regardless if you're tracking 1-50 or 1-2000 items (the Constant is set to 50 or 2000, etc).

I've seen a bunch of circuit wizardry, and I'm reasonably confident these things can be done (maybe not [b]). If I work it out before I get a response I'll let you know :3:

Edit:
Got [c] working in a vacuum (probably won't work combined with [a,b]). Const set to desired max# on signal A, Arth to A/10 send B, one Arth per Lamp to B*[1..10] send C, each lamp on if [item] > C. Total combinators 12.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 8, 2016