Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Moma, Toast, and Lazrin are all vegan. Coincidence, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

You made more than one friend, friend

Dear God, he's finally calming down before death rained down upon Austin and the UK. (The UK only did Brexit, because they heard about :pgabz: coming to Foundry 42, and they were willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

Alien Languages in game:
Invented by Captain Blood, not in Star Citizen yet

gently caress me sideways. That game was great. Brutally difficult, but awesome.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

Customer Service, invented by humans, innovated on by Clown Emporium, doesn't work yet.

A functioning game, invented by humans, innovated on by Clown Emporium, doesn't work yet.

EDIT: Extra comma. I confess, I Archered SomethingJones.

legion989
Jan 18, 2013
If you've never had a homemade hamburger smoked for an hour over hickory wood chips, you're missing out.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I Greyhound posted:

Hey Lazrin, archive this!

Also Phoenix Point has me salivating, but guess what, I'm not going to spend $4,000 to $15,000 on it before it comes out because I'm not an idiot and poo poo happens.

They are also not asking you to spend anything in advance so...

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
From Dear Leader thread:

Blistex posted:

Picture of health for a 33 year old despot.

If there's a screen grab from this

but where he's leaning slightly into the camera then the photo practically shops itself.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Here is the full and comprehensive list of reasons to add breadcrumbs to mince:

1. You can't afford more meat.

This is true for hamburgers, but you use milk soaked breadcrumbs if you are making meatballs/rissoles.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Croberts should've taken Jeff Vogel's advice.

quote:

Advice One: Form An Elite Feedback Strike Force

Gamer feedback has diminishing returns. Adding more people doesn't help much. Read your feedback, find a good, diverse pool of 10-15 solid advisors, and take most of your advice from them.

Advice Two: It's OK To Stop Listening Sometimes

Trust yourself. If you start to feel confused and bereft, you have my permission to turn off the feedback hose. Take a breath. Enjoy silence and peace. Play your game yourself and see if you like it. You're the designer. If you're digging what you made, it's OK. Trust yourself.

Advice Three: Ban the Evil

This is a big one. If you have a forum and some dude attacks or insults someone else giving feedback, you must ban him. DO IT. BAN HIM. BANHIMBANHIMBANHIM. If he gets mad, tell him how to get a Steam refund. If he can't get a refund, mail him a personal check. Just get rid of him.

This is not an overreaction. The worst thing a tester can do is try to shame and scare off other people giving honest feedback. Anyone who tries to drive away other testers is a direct threat to the health of your business. Terminate with extreme prejudice.

Also, banning jerks is fun and theraputic. It is an activity I recommend highly.

Bolding mine.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Danknificent posted:

Moma, Toast, and Lazrin are all vegan. Coincidence, I'm sure.

Moma told me he caught a bunch of fish once and I didn't even believe him. I don't think that fucker is totally honest with himself or others.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
okay so i've been following this thread ever since it started, but there's one thing that has been bugging me. i legit do not know anything about game development, so help me out goons.

what the gently caress is a local physics grid and why did the cultists talk so much about it??

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Buzzwords my fidelicious friend

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Stalins Moustache posted:

what the gently caress is a local physics grid and why did the cultists talk so much about it??

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
The fourth stimpire

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

When you collect the set you can trade them in for a Line of Defence steam key, or a packet of cheese and onion crisps

I took the packet of Cheese and onion crisps, and i don't regret a thing. :jerky:

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

RedTonic posted:

Advice One: Form An Elite Feedback Strike Force

Gamer feedback has diminishing returns. Adding more people doesn't help much. Read your feedback, find a good, diverse pool of 10-15 solid advisors, and take most of your advice from them.

Advice Two: It's OK To Stop Listening Sometimes

Trust yourself. If you start to feel confused and bereft, you have my permission to turn off the feedback hose. Take a breath. Enjoy silence and peace. Play your game yourself and see if you like it. You're the designer. If you're digging what you made, it's OK. Trust yourself.

Advice Three: Ban the Evil

This is a big one. If you have a forum and some dude attacks or insults someone else giving feedback, you must ban him. DO IT. BAN HIM. BANHIMBANHIMBANHIM. If he gets mad, tell him how to get a Steam refund. If he can't get a refund, mail him a personal check. Just get rid of him.

This is not an overreaction. The worst thing a tester can do is try to shame and scare off other people giving honest feedback. Anyone who tries to drive away other testers is a direct threat to the health of your business. Terminate with extreme prejudice.

Also, banning jerks is fun and theraputic. It is an activity I recommend highly.

RedTonic posted:

Croberts should've taken Jeff Vogel's advice.

Bolding mine.

The Chris Roberts Abridged Rules For BDSSE Dev

1) Form Elite Echo Chamber of Sycophants
2) Never Stop to Listen, EVER!
3) Ban Criticism. Ban It ALL!

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
also another thing that somewhat pisses me off so much about this game is that i hear immersion and fidelity thrown around so much but its legit the blandest and most boring sci-fi look ever. as someone who studies human geography and put a lot of emphasis into the meaning, sensations and feelings given by created by places and given to those who are in these places, i really wanna do a human geographical analysis of that damned donut ring port that players spawn in because that is just laughably bland :psyduck:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Stalins Moustache posted:

Most game engines are made with the concept of a map where all of the action takes place on. So instead of coding gravity as an attraction to a celestial body, you simply move the player towards the surface of the map. This is why in most games it is really hard to stand on a vehicle. If the vehicle surface isn't perfectly flat, you will slid off it and be pulled towards the map surface.

In a game like Star Citizen, there isn't a single playing surface and worse yet, each ship has it's own playing surface and gravity. So they hacked together a solution where they have a giant map with an invisible surface (empty space) and zero gravity, and then they gave ships and stations small maps of their own. So you essentially have maps moving above the surface of a giant space map; maps inside maps. This is why they have animations for boarding ships, they need some way to 'hand off' the player from the space map to the ship map.

The funniest thing is that it isn't a novel idea, it is a solved problem. It just isn't included in middleware engines because it isn't something that 99% of games need.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SurfaceDetail posted:

that would be nuts

You would know.

(about nuts, I mean)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Samizdata posted:

You're only saying that since you work at Activision-Blizzard and you are worried what SC will do to your employer once all the switches are flipped. Confess!

I do secretly wish that CiG would hire me.

Also, lol at them not being able to organize a loving youtube video playlist. 10FTC jumps from 1 to 65 to 83 to 8 and everything in between with barely any organization.

Good job, community management team!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Lazrin posted:

its hilarious his life is all-consumed by this and it costing him personally and professionally

here's his pussy paragraph, which he (and i'm sure 'legal') thinks protect him somehow, where he admits his poo poo is pulled out of his rear end:

"It should be re-emphasized that this analysis suffers from a great degree of uncertainty in many aspects, due to the imperfections of the publicly available data. While I believe that the general conclusions and trends I have presented are broadly correct, caution should be used when interpreting any specific numerical values occurring in the charts. For the sake of completeness, here are some of the more important possible sources of error"

this post is incredibly boring.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nice meltdown

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

The pen was already invented. Do not innovate and create anything newer or better.
Shoes were already invented. Do not innovate and create anything newer or better.
Bicycles were already invented. Do not innovate and create anything newer or better.
Computers were already invented. Do not innovate and create anything newer or better.

(Insert here) was/were already invented. Do not innovate and create anything newer or better . . .

The exact same type of belt you kickedstartered was already available. You overpaid on something that already exists, and did nothing in terms of innovation.

Much like you and Star Citizen.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ManofManyAliases posted:

it's like looking in a mirror isn't it

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The exact same type of belt you kickedstartered was already available. You overpaid on something that already exists, and did nothing in terms of innovation.

Much like you and Star Citizen.

How does that make you feel? That is, the fact that I'm out here wasting my money?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm pledging for the Corvette when it's released.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm pledging for the Corvette when it's released.

you just confirmed your autism spectrum is....

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

How does that make you feel? That is, the fact that I'm out here wasting my money?

Mildly amused at how defensive you get. Excited about how much crow you will be eating once SC collapses.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

SomethingJones posted:

To be fair Derek does ask every single time before he uses something, and if the author wants a credit.

Oh well then. Carry on Dr. Smart.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Here is the full and comprehensive list of reasons to add breadcrumbs to mince:

1. You can't afford more meat.

Yup, I've been on hard times before and we would add breadcrumbs and egg to hamburger meat to not have to use as much meat/get more out of it. They came out tasting more like meatballs than hamburgers. They were tasty, but I can see why a food snob would hate on it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

He stole my GV once without asking. But also... you know... who gives a poo poo. Nobody's handing out gold stars for this.

I want credit. I need the views to kickstart my LP career so I can get some of that PewDeePy money

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
did anyone say "nice belt, clown" yet

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I Greyhound posted:

That's the plan. It's going to revolutionizing gaming. I'll call it "post-ordering". Or maybe just "Ordering"

Post-ordering is only possible on games that get re-launched, much like most of the catalog on GOG.com

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

LOL!!! cite your sources!!

I'm not going through your post history :colbert:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wafflz posted:

Trying to sound worldly/smart/etc. after admitting you spent 4000 dollars on fake spaceships is a total non-starter.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

honestly it makes me feel like you're an rear end in a top hat, and the kind of rear end in a top hat that triples every second

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

:ironicat:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm glad of it :dukedog:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
My 400$ Cuban cigar tastes so good right now knowing some turbonerd who's $4000 in the hole for a lovely project is having a meltdown.

:dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
'Peace Pipe' is what Chris calls his snortin' straw.

• Locked thread