Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Eskaton posted:

Uh, look at the minimum wage in Norway for a real surprise.

For the curious:

None; wages normally fall within a national scale negotiated by labor, employers, and local governments.

The law does not mandate an official minimum wage. Instead, minimum wages were set in collective bargaining agreements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If you are earning minimum wage you deserve it imo.

*spends more than he earns and has to sell his family's land to developers*

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And have you considered hiring cheap interns or importing Finns? I really love the idea of Finns developing for you, their melancholy derived mechanics would be rad.

There is a Finn on the EU4 team now, used to work for Space Engineers. On Tuesday beers on the time it takes for us to drink one pint he is already on his third.
It is almost like a special Martial Art.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Groogy posted:

There is a Finn on the EU4 team now, used to work for Space Engineers. On Tuesday beers on the time it takes for us to drink one pint he is already on his third.
It is almost like a special Martial Art.
No the martial art is teras kasi. That's just alcoholism.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

zedprime posted:

No the martial art is teras kasi. That's just alcoholism.

Actually it's just being Finnish. These are the people that made salmiakki and kilju

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There is an ancient rivalry between the two ends of the Nordics about which are the hardest drinkers; the Finns or Icelanders.

And good to hear you got the Finns involved, is it like when you get part of the wages of an employee here payed by the government if they're, uhh, differently abled?

Get a Finn to fix defensive pagans in CK2 please~

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are there any good Roman grognard games?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rome II Total War by Creative Assembly

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Attila total war is better that Rome 2.

Otherwise there's Alea Jacta Est which is one of the less sucky Ageod game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You could always play http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SH2/strength-and-honour-2

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Enjoy posted:

Rome Total War by Creative Assembly

:five:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Falling Sky on Vassal

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm replaying HoI2/Armageddon and am I mis-remembering things, or is there no way to send already deployed units to the deployment pool?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

It's not just us, Sweden basically closes for July. Back when Podcat and I were making V2/HoI3 expansions we used to work through July because we tended to release those around August, no where was open for lunch, public transport was on reduced schedules

The Finns make Skylines! One of the CK2 team is half-Finnish too, which helps with all the death-events.

It's similar here, school summer vacation is most of July so all the families are doing their thing and very few people work, trams are almost empty. It's pretty cool to work during this period, a lot less stress because nobody bothers you. Working at a uni this effect is increased by the end of the semester as well, there's a lot less work when your 15k students aren't around loving things up.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Get a Finn to fix defensive pagans in CK2 please~

No

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Falling Sky on Vassal

Probably many of you Paradox players know about these, but Falling Sky is part of the COIN (for "counterinsurgency") series of board games. It pits a Roman faction versus three Gallic tribes, and a trademark of the series is that only one player can win, so you're constantly screwing each other over. In fact, StashAugustine and others are playing a game right now. :monocle:

It's a really cool series that's worth getting into, if you feel like branching out from Paradox games. I've been playing Cuba Libre, about the Cuban revolution in the late 50s, and it's really scratching my itch for grand strategy, even though I'm playing solo versus "bot" algorithms that the game provides. I just managed to pull off a victory as Batista, where I did bad but the insurgent factions all did worse:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I will respond the Finnish way and drink myself into a stupor then. That will show you!!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I haven't seen this posted here yet, so I thought I'd share that the Historical Project Mod for Victoria 2 recently got updated, and there's been some pretty juicy changes.

arkhometha posted:

It's been a long time since the last update. Sorry about that, sometimes life takes over. Had to move around a few countries. This update tries to bring a major rebalance of the economy and testing is one of the things that made this update take so long. Overall, Heavy Industry should be way more profitable. A number of bugfixes, both for vanilla and for the mod, were also made and there's quite a bit of new events and decisions. Oh, event spam in the US is also (hopefully) fixed, so no more 5 events every week. Full changelog in the full description. I will write a long overdue news about it.

Here's the accompanying article, wherein the mod author describes their issues with Victoria 2's economy and how they've been working on making it work a little better.

This includes
- Preventing Qing from eating up half the basic goods in the early game, so uncivs should no longer be constantly starving.
- Preventing overproduction of goods in late-game, as it led to massive unemployment in certain areas, which inevitably caused massive communist uprisings.
- Preventing unemployment in colonies.
- Rebalancing AI factory prioritization to be better at choosing what factories to build.
- Making industrial goods much more important, iron and steel in particular.

As well as non-economic stuff, such as:
- Lessening US event spam.
- Adding HD version of some vanilla event images.
- Adding border policies regarding emigration and immigration
- Fixing a bug where bureaucrats and artisans didn't promote as fast as they should have
- Fixing pops never demanding a Good Minimum Wage.
- Some changes to terrain and provinces, particularly in central Asia.

Full changelog.

And the changelog for the hotfix released shortly afterwards.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 1, 2016

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Rome II Total War by Creative Assembly

Total War is grognard now?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

It's similar here, school summer vacation is most of July so all the families are doing their thing and very few people work, trams are almost empty. It's pretty cool to work during this period, a lot less stress because nobody bothers you. Working at a uni this effect is increased by the end of the semester as well, there's a lot less work when your 15k students aren't around loving things up.

For that reason I always try to work through the summer because you can actually get things done without being interrupted every five seconds.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Comedy option total war: Europa Barbaroum/Europa Barbaroum 2 mods.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Groogy you double dealer, Defensive Pagans got a buncha good stuff in the next patch apparently I guess it wasn't done by Finns though.

I keep forgetting if you're even still on that detail though, or that Dark fellow is there now.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Groogy is off on other adventures, I make all the cool CK stuff now.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

In which case good on you for doing it. You're on the good list now.

now make west africa max prosperity from the start plz

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Are you actually adding stupid zombie crap next patch or is that optional? Because the other things look good but that dev diary was really stupid.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also remove the goddamn coalition mechanics/threat.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

You guys made him the lead on Rome 2, didn't you?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Are you actually adding stupid zombie crap next patch or is that optional? Because the other things look good but that dev diary was really stupid.

They're practically guaranteed to not be actual zombies.

All signs point towards those events just being examples of peasant hysteria. Some dude probably just saw a plague victim shambling around and drew his own conclusions.

Also remove the goddamn coalition mechanics/threat.

The next update will make coalitions/threat and stuff like Shattered Retreats toggleable whenever you start a new game. It was showcased in a dev diary that came out some weeks ago.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh thank god. I knew about the toggleable stuff but not that some of the newer mechanics I disliked were in it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I wish that whenever anyone complained about fantasy/wacky DLC an angel not only got its wings, but also sent a new fully finished fantasy/alt-history DLC to Paradox for release.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 6, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, seriously; the semi-fantasy poo poo is great, every game is alt-history so going a bit further out there is good.

like, loving seriously, one of the oldest events in the game is a gate into hell opening

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
And yet no stealth bear. gently caress you paradox

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

And yet no stealth bear. gently caress you paradox

How would you know

They're stealth bears

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I actually full on, non-ironically want a Myth and Magic fantasy DLC for CKII and I'm sad that we'll almost certainly never get one. :smith:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

In which case good on you for doing it. You're on the good list now.

now make west africa max prosperity from the start plz

It would be rad if West Africa had a trade route like the Silk Road. Historically trans-Saharan trade was hugely significant for both the West and North Africans.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I want a Mansa Musa event chain where a really rich ruler can go on a pilgrimage and ruin the economies of everywhere they pass through.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Don't forget the Garamantes and their thousand oasis network of provinces.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

Don't forget the Garamantes and their thousand oasis network of provinces.

The Garamantes may be a dumb idea but the routes themselves are not :colbert:

I mean uh obviously the Garamantes would beat the HRE in a fight you idiot

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

vyelkin posted:

I want a Mansa Musa event chain where a really rich ruler can go on a pilgrimage and ruin the economies of everywhere they pass through.

It would be pretty interesting as a pre-scripted event even. Like the Mongols, but kind of in reverse. I could see it being fairly easy to script too. Provinces which his pilgrimage passes through gets a negative inflation modifier to tax income, but rulers get a one-time bonus of gold.