Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Isn't that just a White Russian you dunk an Oreo into

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Of course the punisher would cry at the new star wars. I mean, in a perfect universe he would have taken his alive kids to it and they would have enjoyed it and it would have been a wonderful time with his family.

:smith:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

bunnyofdoom posted:

Of course the punisher would cry at the new star wars. I mean, in a perfect universe he would have taken his alive kids to it and they would have enjoyed it and it would have been a wonderful time with his family.

:smith:

I was always surprised that one of the places the Exiles never went to "fix" was a universe where Frank Castle was happy and had an intact family.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Exit Strategy posted:

I was always surprised that one of the places the Exiles never went to "fix" was a universe where Frank Castle was happy and had an intact family.

Well, that'd be a job for Weapon X.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hold on a second, let's continue the Stardust conversation from last page. Until now, whenever I read a Stardust strip, I was operating under the assumption that "ha ha, funny, it's a nice parody of old-style superhero comics."

You're seriously telling me Stardust was 100% written, drawn and published absolutely and honestly unironically? :psyduck:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
As much as anything in comics ever has been, yes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Stardust the Super Wizard was originally published in 1939, so yes, he was an 100% real and unironic swing at the new superhero genre.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

WickedHate posted:

In the eighties, Marvel put out a charity benifit comic called Heroes for Hope. Unfortunately, the money it made was rejected on the basis that the comic was tramendously sexist and racist. I wonder how that could be?

Claremont levels...too high...reaching...critical mass...save yourselves...

Claremont only wrote the first two pages of the book, which changed creative teams completely every two pages. It had Stephen King and Bernie Wrightson on two pages, and Harlan Ellison with Gene Colan, I think, later on.

I don't know who wrote those two pages, but it wasn't Claremont.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, that's surprising.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wanderer posted:

Claremont only wrote the first two pages of the book, which changed creative teams completely every two pages. It had Stephen King and Bernie Wrightson on two pages, and Harlan Ellison with Gene Colan, I think, later on.

I don't know who wrote those two pages, but it wasn't Claremont.

Wikipedia thinks it was.

Claremont, Brian Bolland, and P. Craig Russell depict Storm confronted by a carnival ringmaster, who traps her in a house of mirrors. She is shown various images of her possible self, each one more distorted than the last. Ororo gets drawn into the crazy carnival games, and in the first concrete expression of the story's theme, she realizes that it is wrong to waste food. Having defeated the psychic attacker by feeding illusory cream pies to illusory people, Storm returns to her teammates for discussion of what has transpired.

Huh, looks like George R.R. Martin wrote a couple of pages. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_for_Hope#Contributors

Second edit: Jim Shooter says the Oxfam America people were idiots.

http://jimshooter.com/2011/09/heroes-for-hope-and-why-i-dont-like.html/

Last edit, I promise: Just wanted to add the list of contributors.

prefect fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 6, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Called it! You can just tell, you know?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, I actually have a copy, and I'm sitting next to my longboxes for once. I remembered that Stan Lee had been involved, but I hadn't remembered that he'd written the introduction. I'd thought it was Claremont. I was wrong.

I wish they'd numbered the pages.

(Also, the Ellison/Corben pages are creepy as hell to this day.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The complaints about the Claremont pages are perhaps exaggerated, but not unfairly so. The rest, though, if Shooter's even half-accurate in how he reports it? Yeesh!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know I'm miles behind everyone in comic news so this probably is already known by everyone, but Judge Dredd- Cursed Earth Uncensored drops next week!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1781...arth+uncensored

Can't wait to finally read the bitter war between The Burger King and Ronald McDonald.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

It's always fun when they riff on it and instead of Jim being all "WHA-?!", he's blasé about it and someone else is the one freaking out.

Also, do we know what these two dinks' deal is yet? Daxamite? Frauds?

I love when he's Charlie Brown with the football about it, when he's realized he's monologued just a bit too long and goes "I know you're gone, so I'm not gonna turn around and give you the satisfaction".

And then he does anyways.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

Hold on a second, let's continue the Stardust conversation from last page. Until now, whenever I read a Stardust strip, I was operating under the assumption that "ha ha, funny, it's a nice parody of old-style superhero comics."

You're seriously telling me Stardust was 100% written, drawn and published absolutely and honestly unironically? :psyduck:

Wikipedia posted:

[The author's] body was found on a park bench in Manhattan in 1976; he had frozen to death, penniless and likely drunk.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I wonder what sort of books are out there of Power Man x Iron Fist.

(Patsy Walker Hellcat #7)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

WWE Superstars: Last Man Standing is the most batshit comic I've read all year.

It's wonderful.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I honestly can't tell if that's supposed to be Brian Pillman or Dean Ambrose. I assume the latter, but man.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
The Flintstones #1:

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Darth Nat posted:

The Flintstones #1:

Man, A.D. Skinner has really buffed up!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

SilverSupernova posted:

Okay then. Let's all take a look at Deadpool: Too Soon, because I'm struggling not to just post the whole thing in this thread where it belongs in it's entirety.

Summary, Deadpool calls together Ant Man, Squirrel Girl, Howard the Duck, Rocket Raccoon, Spider-Ham, the Punisher, and Forbush Man (for reasons I will not spoil). This is what follows.

Deadpool keeps them from leaving by revealing that he has blackmail material on each and every one of them.

Hang on a tick, isn't this (plus what happens next) the plot of the Clue movie?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Hang on a tick, isn't this (plus what happens next) the plot of the Clue movie?

The whole comic is am homage to Clue.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

It was Tippy Toe with the ultimate nullifier in the study.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I love the terrorist's name. It's like a Trump ad with "Obama bin Ladden"

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I love Loki laughing about getting his rear end kicked multiple times by The Hulk. :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

X-O posted:

The whole comic is am homage to Clue.

Oh, so that means Dorreen Green was Innocent, works for the FBI, and is going home to sleep with their wife?

As a kid who liked Mister Green the most, the "What really happened" ending was particularly amusing to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Everyone in these pages is slowly being turned into mummies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Much like real American politics.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hulk does kinda look like Hillary there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry about the degenerative eye disease.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I GOT HERE AS FAST AS I COULD

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

prefect posted:

Second edit: Jim Shooter says the Oxfam America people were idiots.

http://jimshooter.com/2011/09/heroes-for-hope-and-why-i-dont-like.html/

Am I crazy or does the book he's selling on there look like it was written by Chuck Tingle?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SHOT POINT BLANK IN THE BUTT BY JIM SHOOTER'S OMEGA POINT

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

They skipped the "Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?" line, but they did need to make the next panel the big one.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

That last panel: jesus christ, really?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I can't think of any good reasons that Loki might skip a line about horses.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Gnome de plume posted:

That last panel: jesus christ, really?

It's a comedy book. I mean c'mon it has Forbush Man in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey at least it wasnt the Batman film.