Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

edit: Disregard this!

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Minrad posted:

if d.va is the gamer hero why can't she tea bag

She can when she's out of her mech, which is probably the best time to do it anyway.

Also if we're still going for dumb rebalance ideas: D.Va's boost can pin people like Reinhardt's charge, but you can't smash people into walls with it. What you can do instead is hit melee at any point to scrape them off your windscreen without cancelling the boost; great for depositing people off cliffs or into the well on Ilios. Her melee not cancelling boost is an inherent part of this.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Looking at the hardcore tankers from Masteroverwatch, I can see that there's a guy with rating 9. Next ones are 16 :911:

If anyone has a link to the guy with 9, that would be neat.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I met a dva today. They spent most of the match shooting me as Zarya. It probably didn't help that defending Anubis isn't fair like at all.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just watched twiq play soldier on his stream. You can't tell the difference when he has the soldiers ult on and off. How the gently caress does someone aim like that. :psyduck:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

keyframe posted:

Just watched twiq play soldier on his stream. You can't tell the difference when he has the soldiers ult on and off. How the gently caress does someone aim like that. :psyduck:

I was judging him for continuing to shoot Zarya when her shield was up, then I realized that a dead Zarya can't use that charge :stare:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I was judging him for continuing to shoot Zarya when her shield was up, then I realized that a dead Zarya can't use that charge :stare:

One of the keys to dealing with Zarya I've found is knowing when to just say gently caress it and lay fire on her even if she's shielded. It has 200 hitpoints and only lasts a couple seconds, so if you and your buds are coordinated to hit it fast and hard enough then you can simply try to race Zarya down faster than she can make use of the charge you fed her. That's why on those occasions where Zarya runs into a surprise Bastion that Bastion generally comes out on top because even if she pops the barrier as quickly as possible Bastion pumps out like 500 DPS so it barely slows him down.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

keyframe posted:

Does the S76 aimbot do headshots at all? You'd think there'd be a point where using the ult is more of a dentriment.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

keyframe posted:

Is he asian?

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

piratepilates posted:

Does the S76 aimbot do headshots at all? You'd think there'd be a point where using the ult is more of a dentriment.
No, even if the bullets hit the target in the head from above or something, they don't register as head shots.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

keyframe posted:

Welcome to competetive gaming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYGpiuGT0MI&t=12s

I can't remember any of the quake 3 video names, but you saw some insane poo poo back then.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I haven't played comp this week because sudden death is awful and I hate it. Why the hell doesn't the team that won faster win? Who would ever think that the current system is a good idea?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People say overtime favors Offense literally always but I don't see why. On most maps defending the first point fir two minutes really isn't that hard if you're on equal skill with the other team. They have time for what, two coordinated pushes? And if they lose the first one they won't be able to get ults built up to make the second work in time. I'd think it would depend mostly on where each team's spawn is but people say offense is better on literally every map.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Internet Kraken posted:

People say overtime favors Offense literally always but I don't see why. On most maps defending the first point fir two minutes really isn't that hard if you're on equal skill with the other team. They have time for what, two coordinated pushes? And if they lose the first one they won't be able to get ults built up to make the second work in time. I'd think it would depend mostly on where each team's spawn is but people say offense is better on literally every map.

Every single defense player that dies has a 25 second turnaround between respawn counter and running back to the front. Every offense player that dies has maybe a 15 second turnaround. 10 seconds of 6v5 (or more realistically 6v3 or 6v4 is generally enough for a decisive advantage.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
TVIQ is insane. I wish I could click heads like that.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
He finished the night rank 86. Pretty sure that dude will hit 100 in a week or two. I feel bad for anyone playing against his Tracer.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Is he asian?

asians dont play pro fps they play mobas. pro counterstrike is euros and latin americans

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
More Jastiger balance ideas!

When it comes to overtime or sudden death it should be a 1:1+1 ratio for stopping the overtime counter. IF all 6 of a team are on a point and there is only 1 person on there, it shouldn't count for resetting, or should at a much diminished rate. If its 2, should count for 1, etc etc. Maybe this should only apply to point capture or KOTH, but its frustrating to hold out for 10 minutes because a tracer or reaper keeps tapping the point and running away, tapping and running away. THe rules should change a bit to move the game along.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

balance idea: remove hanamura from the game entirely

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

JackDarko posted:

TVIQ is insane. I wish I could click heads like that.

He seems to be in the top 1% in "crits per minute" with pretty much any character that can crit. And of course rest of the stats are crazy too.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
Oh yeah, someone was asking about Hanzo, right? If you take a look at Luminosity's games from the ESL Atlantic Invitational today, Luminosity kept running 2 Zaryas, 2 Hanzos, Mercy, Lucio on offense for payload maps and no one could stop them. Granted, two of the three teams didn't seem that coordinated or experienced, but there were some nice shots by both Gods and Seagull.

Game 1 vs. Elevate

Game 2 vs. No Excuse

Game 3 vs. Kingdom Esports

Tomorrow's bracket should be fun too. Every team that wins secures their advancement to the final tournament for North America.

1. EnVyUs OW vs. Selfless Gaming

2. Gale Force eSports vs. Northern Gaming Red

3. Luminosity Gaming vs. nubris

4. Team Liquid vs. Cloud9

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
good luck to NGR and nubris

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Katreus posted:

Oh yeah, someone was asking about Hanzo, right? If you take a look at Luminosity's games from the ESL Atlantic Invitational today, Luminosity kept running 2 Zaryas, 2 Hanzos, Mercy, Lucio on offense for payload maps and no one could stop them. Granted, two of the three teams didn't seem that coordinated or experienced, but there were some nice shots by both Gods and Seagull.

I only watched one of those games (it was on Dorado) but is there really any doubt that they wouldn't be able to beat those teams just as easily with some other comp that's not featuring Hanzos...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Luminosity was going to win without question, but those are still good replays to watch if you want to work on your Hanzo regardless. What it doesn't mean is that Hanzo is like a super good hero because pro team Luminosity used it in a tournament because they're pretty clearly sandbagging.

Also if it wasn't obvious the reason for that specific comp is because Zarya's ult has issues with Reinhardt and Hanzo solves those issues cleanly.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

yook posted:

No, even if the bullets hit the target in the head from above or something, they don't register as head shots.

I do feel even in the event that you're good enough to consistently get headshots, his ult has the benefit of letting you move purely defensively while firing and hitting everything.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Everyone getting all excited about that gun blueprint seems to be missing that it's addressed to Reaper and Soldier back when they ran Overwatch and is basically what got turned into Widowmaker's exact kit when repurposed offensively. I think it's a slice of world building, not a hint at a new character.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Katreus posted:

Game 1 vs. Elevate

Game 2 vs. No Excuse

Game 3 vs. Kingdom Esports

Tomorrow's bracket should be fun too. Every team that wins secures their advancement to the final tournament for North America.

1. EnVyUs OW vs. Selfless Gaming

2. Gale Force eSports vs. Northern Gaming Red

3. Luminosity Gaming vs. nubris

4. Team Liquid vs. Cloud9

Only watched two of those but surprised how the enemy teams didn't have dual tracers/pharah running against the hanzo's. Trying to stay on the defensive all bunched up against that setup is suicide since every gravitron is a team wipe.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SadisTech posted:

Everyone getting all excited about that gun blueprint seems to be missing that it's addressed to Reaper and Soldier back when they ran Overwatch and is basically what got turned into Widowmaker's exact kit when repurposed offensively. I think it's a slice of world building, not a hint at a new character.

I didn't know Widowmaker's rifle was powered by Soldier 76's healing grenades.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

keyframe posted:

Only watched two of those but surprised how the enemy teams didn't have dual tracers/pharah running against the hanzo's. Trying to stay on the defensive all bunched up against that setup is suicide since every gravitron is a team wipe.

You have to consider how comfortable you are with any given comp. It's the reason cheese works; You usually get some early free progress on sheer surprise factor and then hope you either tilted the other team enough or they just don't have an answer. It's entirely possible those teams don't have two strong Pharah players, and counters in FPS games are much softer than in some other genres due to the execution required. Simply running counter-cheese won't work if your players aren't ready to run it, and Seagull plays a lot of Hanzo casually.

The aforementioned "Protect the President" strat has stayed dead because people figured out the answer pretty quickly (within a week-ish for competitive play), but it was still effective the time it premiered because it was so loving weird. Even if the answers seem obvious in hindsight that isn't necessarily the case when you have a team of good players banging on your next checkpoint's door and people are dying and your main caller is freaking out because "this shouldn't be working, this is so scrubby".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Countblanc posted:

Luminosity was going to win without question, but those are still good replays to watch if you want to work on your Hanzo regardless. What it doesn't mean is that Hanzo is like a super good hero because pro team Luminosity used it in a tournament because they're pretty clearly sandbagging.

Also if it wasn't obvious the reason for that specific comp is because Zarya's ult has issues with Reinhardt and Hanzo solves those issues cleanly.

It's not so much "issues" as it being actually worth willingly diving into the singularity as Reinhardt, because it puts you in a perfect spot to cover anyone who got grabbed unwaringly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

God drat played a comp match on Anubis that went to sudden death. poo poo took like 40 minutes

Also put us level 50-ish ranked dudes up against a team of 70+ with all level 200-300. One dude had 290 hours played :wtc:

Pretty annoying when you're playing late at night and play against the same much higher level team in comp three times

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 7, 2016

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

If I'm being completely honest to myself, I think right now I would enjoy just playing Mystery Heroes, and then watching Competitive e-sports teams play Mystery Heroes against each other in a play-off tournament.

So that tells me that the game still has a long way to go. Needs more "fun" in the way of new game modes / community servers. I'm not sure what exactly since I haven't played a whole lot of other online FPS.

I understand that team composition, hero switching and specific counters are the whole point of the game, but often it just sucks too much of the fun and soul away.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 7, 2016

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Man getting a cm of XP for a comp game that went 50 minutes and I had like 35k heals at the end is just so much fun.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Kai Tave posted:

I didn't know Widowmaker's rifle was powered by Soldier 76's healing grenades.

It's her venom mine.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SadisTech posted:

It's her venom mine.

There's literally no way Blizzard posted some cryptic picture on their twitter with a picture of some weapon that nobody in the game has just to turn around in two weeks and go "lol jk it's really just Widowmaker's gun McFly."

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmnu9Zu9_s

My friend sits on a Winston while playing comp matchmaking.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I am now willing to eat the leaver penalty for dropping out of hanamura before the round starts, that I might save the rest of the players in the server from the horrible fate of having to play 6 rounds of hanamura in a row

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Manatee Cannon posted:

I am now willing to eat the leaver penalty for dropping out of hanamura before the round starts, that I might save the rest of the players in the server from the horrible fate of having to play 6 rounds of hanamura in a row

Man I feel the same way but for Temple of Anubis. Never had a good match in that one.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Fibby Boy posted:

As a Zenyatta solo que player I can confidently say he's pretty bad and needs a rework. I will say that he isn't completely awful when attacking payloads. Discord orbs help to scatter entrenched opposition which gives your guys a bit of wiggle room to either push forward or just kill better. And his ult is amazing for when nobody is willing to go forward even though it's just one dude defending the point.
I love Zenyatta and will instaswitch to S76. Zens Debuff allows melting foes, it is fantastic.
Only works when the Zenyatta player has situational awareness, stays back, used my Healing aura and helps me to protect him. If we both focus on his debuffed enemies I finish the match with 40, 50 or more kills/kill-participations.
I wish more would play Zenyatta, he his the greatest catalyst for dps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

gmq posted:

It works for old TVs :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=insM7oUYNOE