Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Saint Drogo posted:

A 4k+ investment in Eating Microwave Dinners Alone simulator

A sperg's dream. :allears:

I mean I can understand games like Cooking Mama (I've even bought a couple) because it's sort of fun and there's no mess to clean up. But to want to simulate every single minute detail of every day life like opening drawers and using microwaves is just loving insane. Must be some sort of autistic thing, I can't think of anyone who'd legitimately find that fun or entertaining unless they had a mental disorder.

edit: and I've done that poo poo in games like Trespasser, and IT IS NOT FUN AT ALL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

KiddieGrinder posted:

I mean I can understand games like Cooking Mama (I've even bought a couple) because it's sort of fun and there's no mess to clean up. But to want to simulate every single minute detail of every day life like opening drawers and using microwaves is just loving insane. Must be some sort of autistic thing, I can't think of anyone who'd legitimately find that fun or entertaining unless they had a mental disorder.

edit: and I've done that poo poo in games like Trespasser, and IT IS NOT FUN AT ALL.

…also, it's the space future. There should be no cooking, only Fifth Element style chicken dinner pellets. So << use >> would be a far more accurate simulation than what he's asking for anyway. :D

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: I feel <<USED>>

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I think these cultists (well, to be fair hopefully just some of them) want some sort of fully functional virtual world where literally everything is simulated and possible. Every hatch, drawer, door, anything on their ships can be opened and explored and contain realistic contents that can be sifted through and examined further. Every screw and bolt can be taken out and you can dismantle your ship and repair/upgrade every diode and circuit.

Travelling in your ship is all done in real time at accurate real life speed (ie: it would take weeks to reach anywhere) and this is time they want to spend cleaning their ship, eating meals (that they have to cook) with their crew mates (NPC or real), engage in conversation with them (which can lead to new missions or branching dialog, very deep RPG stuff), arrange their cargo, browse reddit from their space ship with an awesome in game/in ship web browser, etc. etc..

It's just mind boggling. They just want to escape their lovely lives and live in this game (that doesn't exist) full time and not do anything else. Crazy stuff.

edit: in fact I'm surprised they didn't complain that going up the stairs, getting in the cockpit, and putting on the helmet is one animation instead of pressing some sort of button for each ladder step (or better yet a mini game?), then choosing if they want to put their helmet on or not, and then choose whether or not to close the canopy. Someone should put a vote poll up to settle this matter.

edit again: Toops you should do it like that for your game. Each step requires a new button press, then you have to press a button to close the canopy, then a button to don your space helmet, a button to turn the key for space ignition, etc.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 7, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Looking forward to being able to spend $200 on some concept art space microwaves.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
It only works if you have the fidelity GRUBBY HANDS
btw what happen to them
Let me guess the got shitcanned like everything else because they were crashing the server

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

KiddieGrinder posted:

Opening drawers in "The Lab" is fun.

Using the microwave in "Maniac Mansion" is fun.

=> must be fun in Space/Star Citizen. QED.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

RattiRatto posted:

It only works if you have the fidelity GRUBBY HANDS
btw what happen to them
Let me guess the got shitcanned like everything else because they were crashing the server

I'll never get over the fact that the closest thing that there is to a design document to a feature is loving called "grabby hands"

It legit sounds like a children's character

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Smekerman posted:

Sorry, I have to quote this because it's kind of funny that people would be so mortally offended by adding breadcrumbs and egg to minced meat to make it more malleable. Have you people seriously never heard of this? I grew up in Romania and my mom used to make the bombest loving meatballs using minced meat, egg, flour, and breadcrumbs (plus a bunch of spices and veggies worked into the meat itself). They don't even begin to compare to your savage-rear end meatball marinara bullshit. I can't see why that would be any different for hamburgers, tbh.

The only reason why I don't make it myself is because I can't be hosed to spend an hour massaging spices and other poo poo into minced meat before running each individual meatball through a mixture of battered egg, then flour with breadcrumbs, because that takes way too much loving time, not because it's not delicious as heck.

But trust me, egg and bread crumbs are not the issue here, and you have no idea what you're even talking about if you feel this would impinge upon your god-given right as an amurrican to enjoy your minced cow meat between two hamburger buns.

nice meltdown

It's really simple:

breadcrumbs in meatballs = good and yes

breadcrumbs in hamburgers = bad and no

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I honestly for the longest time thought that "grabby hands" was a reference to drunk guys groping random women and that citizens was really creepy for bringing it up constantly.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Atreiden posted:

I honestly for the longest time thought that "grabby hands" was a reference to drunk guys groping random women and that citizens was really creepy for bringing it up constantly.

I mean it is CIG. You might not be wrong.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

KiddieGrinder posted:

The best part is if they ever were to realistically simulate that poo poo, all these dorks' autism wagons would end up looking like their bedrooms, because they couldn't be hosed to put poo poo away

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

I know we joke a lot but this is pretty blatant. I'm not sure how any backers still see this as a "BACKERS VERSUS GOONS" ulterior motives contest where Derek Smart somehow tries to sabotage the blahblah and we are complicit.

Purely objectively, with no outlandish claims based on conjecture from this thread or anywhere else

- They shot at the worlds most expensive studio (Imaginarium) already once
- In response to the first Imaginarium experience they built four(!) of their own motion capture studios
- They are now confirmed to be back at the Imaginarium for a second shoot
- They are talking about multiple re-shoots of the motion capture footage, even before the second Imaginarium trip
- Squadron 42 is going to be their first released product
- They have received almost 60x their original Kickstarter budget, or 6x their "This is the amount we hope to have for a complete game" budget
- They are years behind their release date
- They are still doing basic, non gameplay elements of Squadron 42 as recently as Today

Now the conjecture from this thread

- Personally it seems Chris Roberts only ever speaks with confidence / energy about Squadron 42
- Personally I watch Chris Roberts stammer and confusedly try and answer questions about Star Citizen while getting irritated when asked about things like Star Marine
- Insiders reported months ago that motion capture was "twelve times over budget"
- Insiders reported that the footage was captured badly and would need to be re-shot due to rigging issues
- Rigging issues had delayed the footage by months due to multiple complete re-riggings
- People who knew people at the Imaginarium said it costs $20,000,000 to even get in the door (Which is now doubled? Or do they get a discount for coming back?)
- Insiders reported that the script+footage was so bad that nobody wanted to even make trailers out of it (no footage exists of the game they are prioritizing)

It's pretty obvious the guy with failed movie making aspirations is taking everyone for a ride, but they refuse to believe it.

I don't even see how it's even an argument at this point. Even if you ignore everything Atxsperg / Eightace / Derek have ever said, you still have everything CIG themselves have said.

When Roberts dropped that huge script on the stage and talked about all of the actors they were hiring people should have been "Wait, What?" and started asking questions. Much less after years of constant motion capture, much less after building four of their own studios, much less after re-shoots, much less after a second imaginarium trip.

And you know what I didn't even talk about? loving Star Citizen the game everyone paid for. How is it not obvious they are only working on the movie game because Chris Roberts wants to direct?

How obvious does this have to be? I mean seriously. All joking aside. How obvious does this have to be to people? Who looks at all of that and shovels $300-$50,000 down on more ships? Why do they have a single dollar coming in? Why is MoMA talking about buying yet another concept that wouldn't be in the game, if it ever existed, for years from today?

Even if you ignore everything in this post, how can you ignore that Squadron 42 was already promised to the majority of backers for free, so it's a huge money sink that does nothing but take development time away from the game you bought because most of it's target market already is entitled to it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : a 110 million dollar meal you can't even eat

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Imagine if every other game was as boring as these shitizens want this one to be,imagine having to play a batman game where you play as Alfred and you need to dress bruces wounds, fix his batsuit and clean the mansion every night.....

Actually gently caress that, that sounds awesome.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Who looks at all of that and shovels $300-$50,000 down on more ships?

No one.
Those who shovel do not look.
Those who look do not shovel.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

This is a great post, also nice meltdown

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Fat Shat Sings posted:

:words:

Even if you ignore everything in this post, how can you ignore that Squadron 42 was already promised to the majority of backers for free, so it's a huge money sink that does nothing but take development time away from the game you bought because most of it's target market already is entitled to it.

This is the beauty of Chris Roberts' plan. Remember that SQ42 is only the very first chapter of his poo poo saga. IF SQ42 releases, Chris will immediately begin working on the next chapter, using Star Citizen ship sales as cash to fuel the development engine. There will be vague assurances that the tech for SQ42 will somehow enhance the PTU, but in practice it'll work about as well as it does today, if that.

It's even worse than that - Chris has made absolutely sure that the SQ42 "directing" dream never has to end. I follow this fairly closely, and even I've lost track of how many chapters and parts he's decided SQ42 will be made up of. He's attempting to set himself up as the brainchild and "director" of a franchise, not fully grasping that he's not talented enough to direct, not inventive enough to create a compelling IP, and not intelligent enough to see any of it through on a technical level.

This guy thinks he's creating the next Star Wars, and he's said as much. The thing I really appreciate about Chris is that he's completely changed my perspective on tons of other people that I used to disparage. I used to think John Romero was a tool. I still think that, but he was a tool who used his own money, and at least kept focus on the game he wanted to make, even if it was hot garbage in the end. Think of all the poo poo George Lucas got for the prequels - epic levels of poo poo from every direction. Doesn't seem so bad now, does it? You don't like the new stuff, don't loving watch it. He wanted to make some new poo poo, it's his IP, he's paying for it, let him gently caress around in his playground. But Chris - this piece of poo poo is a staggeringly inept next-level troll who stole over $100 million dollars by saying he was going to make X, then, in full view of the people he robbed, makes Y. And they thank him for it, even going so far as to defend the man who lied to them.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
So of S42 releases, who among us will brave the depths of hot garbage in order to bring us a long-play with all the cutscenes so we can watch and dismay?

Who?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Furia posted:

So of S42 releases, who among us will brave the depths of hot garbage in order to bring us a long-play with all the cutscenes so we can watch and dismay?

Who?

A very angry dancing cat.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

nice meltdown

It's really simple:

breadcrumbs in meatballs = good and yes

breadcrumbs in hamburgers = bad and no

:agreed:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Furia posted:

Who?

I'm fully prepared to take that plunge. The hardest part will be separating the truly cringeworthy from the mundane. For every hour of cutscenes, I suspect that 55 minutes will be just dull and derivative, and the other 5 minutes will be solid meme material. At least we can count on Chris to deliver the most important product: laughs.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Furia posted:

Who?

Kayak and I will stream it.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Scruffpuff posted:

At least we can count on Chris to deliver the most important product: laughs.

But... what if he manages to screw this up too? :ohdear:

E: ^^^^ yesssss

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

Kayak and I will stream it.

This is cruelty toward dogge and I'm telling PI about you :colbert:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahahaha guys that poo poo is neeeeever coming out

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I just realized something. I could write and perform a Bishop-style speech better than Chris Roberts directing Gary Oldman

So could almost any of you guys :aaaaa:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

alf_pogs posted:

try adding some fiber to your diet

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I just realized something. I could write and perform a Bishop-style speech better than Chris Roberts directing Gary Oldman

There's a lot of truth to this. The thing is, most of the people who are better than Chris Roberts (re: all the people) have something called "self-awareness", which makes them think about the ideas they have, and whether or not they're good enough to go out there and make a movie out of them. Chris does not have self-awareness, so we get to watch his movie instead of the infinite number of much better movies that could be made by anyone who isn't Chris Roberts.

Makes you wonder how much of the poo poo that's out there, music/film/etc., could be so much better - it's just that only the self-unaware had the propensity to just make it and put it out there for the rest of us to suffer through.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I could probably use stop motion and Legman and come up with a better Bishop speech.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

alf_pogs posted:

I think both SC and S42 will come out eventually. Well, that depends on what you mean by coming out I suppose. S42 will release, be poo poo, and flop terribly for obvious reasons. Additional chapters will not come out.

SC is something I expect to be shuffled out the door embarrassingly and with minimum fanfare. CIG knows it's poo poo, will always be poo poo, but are obligated to have something out there to stop whatever disastrous consequences can come for not releasing. There will come a point where to put it off any longer will be more negative than positive, just hopefully with as little media coverage as possible.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Beet Wagon posted:

I could probably use stop motion and Legman and come up with a better Bishop speech.

You can't say this and not do it :colbert:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

el dingo posted:

I think both SC and S42 will come out eventually. Well, that depends on what you mean by coming out I suppose. S42 will release, be poo poo, and flop terribly for obvious reasons. Additional chapters will not come out.

SC is something I expect to be shuffled out the door embarrassingly and with minimum fanfare. CIG knows it's poo poo, will always be poo poo, but are obligated to have something out there to stop whatever disastrous consequences can come for not releasing. There will come a point where to put it off any longer will be more negative than positive, just hopefully with as little media coverage as possible.

From CIG's perspective, SC is out right now. When they're pushed to their last throw, CIG will give the current incarnation (or whatever incarnation is out there) a new release number, and call it done.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I know we joke a lot but this is pretty blatant. I'm not sure how any backers still see this as a "BACKERS VERSUS GOONS" ulterior motives contest where Derek Smart somehow tries to sabotage the blahblah and we are complicit.

Purely objectively, with no outlandish claims based on conjecture from this thread or anywhere else

- They shot at the worlds most expensive studio (Imaginarium) already once
- In response to the first Imaginarium experience they built four(!) of their own motion capture studios
- They are now confirmed to be back at the Imaginarium for a second shoot
- They are talking about multiple re-shoots of the motion capture footage, even before the second Imaginarium trip
- Squadron 42 is going to be their first released product
- They have received almost 60x their original Kickstarter budget, or 6x their "This is the amount we hope to have for a complete game" budget
- They are years behind their release date
- They are still doing basic, non gameplay elements of Squadron 42 as recently as Today

Everything is fine, look how many staff we have.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/751018869486215169

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
No Chris "why the gently caress would I want to go to Austin?" Roberts though

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/336065/great-fun-in-the-pu-last-night

If only :pgabz: wasn't so :argh:, then he too could have fun in the PTU!

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Please not that no one could be arsed to "have fun" while dogfighting. In this best space sucks simulator.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Holy poo poo how basic is this gameplay she is describing?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
After $117 million I was able to shoot a dude, let me tell you all about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

After $117 million I was able to shoot a dude, let me tell you all about it!

No no no, he also taunted them using a revolutionary high fidelity communications system called a chat box.

• Locked thread