Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah, here's a link for 3 months for $5. Pretty much free, I guess
http://www.iracing.com/imsa/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
I'm concerned about the 8GB of RAM since I only have 4GB at the moment. Video card seems iffy as well.

Specs:
64-bit Windows 7
AMD Phenom 9950 Quad @ 2.61Ghz
4.0 GB RAM
MSI Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's 5 bones man. Try it out.

Sim racing on a budget is kinda lol though. I thought I could do it...a few grand in hardware later and I'm looking at more.

Someone tell me that a direct drive wheel is a bad idea.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Norns posted:

It's 5 bones man. Try it out.

Sim racing on a budget is kinda lol though. I thought I could do it...a few grand in hardware later and I'm looking at more.

Someone tell me that a direct drive wheel is a bad idea.

If you have the funds it's an excellent idea.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
You can play AC online on a budget I think, especially if you get in on some league on Reddit or something.

iRacing is great fun and all but it will eventually cost you like hundreds of dollars in tracks and cars and subscriptions once you get out of the lowest tier.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Alright, I threw in my $5 and installed the game. Did some laps around Leguna Seca with the Global MX-5. The game feels really good, now I just need goons to race with.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

BeRandom posted:

Alright, I threw in my $5 and installed the game. Did some laps around Leguna Seca with the Global MX-5. The game feels really good, now I just need goons to race with.

I recommend getting your dad a subscription and doing ovals with him. Did iRacing with Pops tonight on Street Stock and Dallara Dash and we had a blast.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011

Shine posted:

I recommend getting your dad a subscription and doing ovals with him. Did iRacing with Pops tonight on Street Stock and Dallara Dash and we had a blast.

That would be awesome, but my dad isn't a "video game" or a car guy. He has a license plate frame that says "I'd rather be golfing."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm itching for some road racing and Skips are at Summit Point this week, gonna get me some of that before ovalling at the weekend.

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general

BeRandom posted:

Have you popped into http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635542 yet

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

BeRandom posted:

I think we're starting Gooncar again some time in the next month or two, in the meantime get into #racinggoons

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
I've been lurking the iRacing thread for a little while now. I just didn't pull the trigger on the plastic card till last night.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

BeRandom posted:

I've been lurking the iRacing thread for a little while now. I just didn't pull the trigger on the plastic card till last night.

Most of the gooncar stuff takes place in the Skip Barber. You should buy the skip anyway cuz it's loving ridiculously fun.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Installed the new Geforce Experience Beta because I thought why not and I had some performance issues with Shadowplay anyway. Now my PC deadlocks for 2 minutes after logging on, looks like one of the ever-increasing-in-quantity streaming services running seems to prevent my actual network driver from starting up properly which fucks up Windows good. Also apparently you need an Nvidia account now. The future ecomony will be based purely on selling each other email adresses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Drivers needing internet accounts can gently caress right off. AMD is doing it too with their hardware but fortunately it's not actually mandatory to upgrade the video driver. They just push it hard on install.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

Installed the new Geforce Experience Beta because I thought why not and I had some performance issues with Shadowplay anyway. Now my PC deadlocks for 2 minutes after logging on, looks like one of the ever-increasing-in-quantity streaming services running seems to prevent my actual network driver from starting up properly which fucks up Windows good. Also apparently you need an Nvidia account now. The future ecomony will be based purely on selling each other email adresses.

Hahahaha

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

xzzy posted:

Drivers needing internet accounts can gently caress right off. AMD is doing it too with their hardware but fortunately it's not actually mandatory to upgrade the video driver. They just push it hard on install.

To be fair, you can skip the Geforce Experience and download the drivers manually. The website just doesn't have all the intermediate releases for individual big game titles.

OhsH posted:

Hahahaha

And you, stop laughing and get in the car.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

To be fair, you can skip the Geforce Experience and download the drivers manually. The website just doesn't have all the intermediate releases for individual big game titles.

And you, stop laughing and get in the car.

Would, too bad ive been out of town for the past couple weeks.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I want to do somewhat regular Automobilista MP, wondering if a RaceDepartment Premium Membership might be worth it. Anyone a member over there?

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011

GhostDog posted:

I want to do somewhat regular Automobilista MP, wondering if a RaceDepartment Premium Membership might be worth it. Anyone a member over there?

Count me in for some Automobilista.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

RD do a 2 week trial membership if you want to try club races out. I've not done one before because for some reason it's only ever Austrailian events happening on my days off but I'd like to do one at some point. I think they have a rule about using custom liveries though, which puts me off because I can't make a skin in GIMP without it being stupidly shiny once I put it in game.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I'm a RD member, I've only ever done a couple rF2 races with them but they were pretty good and mostly clean. Their TS was annoying as hell though because at least a couple people weren't using push to talk and gently caress that, especially when racing with noisy wheels and shifters.

Someone other than me should organize a goon AMS league.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'd alternate between hosting AC and AMS, but when I did host SCE the numbers where depressing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Whenever they add VR support like they promised, I'll try out AtomoBallista.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Yeah whenever we've done SCE or Automobilista before the numbers were awful: we did a one-off kart thing that got about five or six people; then before that we got less than that bar that one time when we ended up opening a public server and raced with a tonne of crazy Brazilians in Formula Vees. I'd be up for it; but it only works if you get good numbers.

My dream thing would be doing a bunch of CART Extreme stuff; if Patrick ports over the ovals that he ported for SCE since that'd be the bit that I'd be good at...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know if Patrick's doing any ovals which is kinda sad. The tracks he's shown screenshots for lately are Barber and Putnam Park, though he's supposedly releasing a version of Silverstone this week so people will stop asking him for it. I'd have hoped that enough people around here have AMS that the numbers would be there for a decent race if the time was right.

Also I'm reinstalling rFactor 2 again because they're adding even more ovals. I hate having to wait for the game to install itself, then install all the actual content as a separate process.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 6, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Ams putnam park??? Holy gently caress.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
I'd potentially be down for goon AMS.

Really fell out of sim racing once I got a wheel because a permanent setup isn't in the cards currently and :effort: over the few minutes setup time + mediocre, but still fairly fun, feeling setup (office chair, pedals on floor held from sliding back with strategically placed box wedging against the wall, wheel attached to keyboard trey which is, in turn, duct taped to not slide in/out from the racing :laugh:) + few minutes take down. Goon racing might motivate me to go through the hassle though so the wheel is less of a dust collector. Pretty sure I'm still terrible with the wheel compared to controller (in PC sims that a controller is viable) though, but I may be in good company on that front. :shobon:

Guess it also didn't hurt that I got consumed by good non-racing games, but I've been getting periodic inklings to hop into some Dirt Rally (hopefully they fixed the FFB or someone made a decent profile for the T-150... last time I tried it on my wheel it felt like garbage... AMS' Rallycross on the T-300 preset [didn't have a T-150] blew it away in terms of good feeling FFB) and maybe, after exhausting the bit of content that's new since last I played it, hunting down Richard Burns Rally + community patches.

Eyud posted:

Their TS was annoying as hell though because at least a couple people weren't using push to talk and gently caress that, especially when racing with noisy wheels and shifters.
:gonk:

I guess, to be fair, depending on the car (DRS, KERS, handbrake, pit stuff, etc.) it can be hard to afford a button for with racing (really don't like that only 4 buttons are reasonably easy to access on my wheel while actively steering or shifting... my real car has more easily accessible buttons and all they do there is play with the radio/bluetooth connected phone). At the same time, there's probably not too much to be said mid-race besides laughing/apologizing about unfortunate incidents.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dirt Rally's getting Oculus support on Monday, so there's that.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Only on Oculus store at first, for some drat reason. Hopefully Steam remains in its own platform, so I can league with people.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Keep your chair from easily sliding by putting a towel thsts been bunched up a bit under a wheel or 2. That's what I did once we removed the carpet from my office.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Phuzun posted:

Only on Oculus store at first, for some drat reason. Hopefully Steam remains in its own platform, so I can league with people.

The official blog says: "DiRT Rally VR will release with the Oculus Store on 11th July, while existing PC players will receive an update on the same day too".

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Eyud posted:

The official blog says: "DiRT Rally VR will release with the Oculus Store on 11th July, while existing PC players will receive an update on the same day too".

That's good, see that now. Read that it was later in the month, earlier. Beta wasn't bad, though the fidelity seemed much lower than it should have been.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

This weekend we're going back Down Under.

Practice is up.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 8, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Here's a helpful reminder that if you turn your headlights on, no one can tell when you're braking.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Comedy option for the last race: The AE86 drift version on Ebisu.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also we should race teh 190E or maybe even the 190E vs E30 M3 sometime.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I was thinking 3 more AE86 races for 8 total. Then some one-off races to try out what we can do for the next series. I know I said F1 is a go, but realistically we should really try first if that isn't a disaster. Also I want to do stuff that you can't do in iRacing, because if we can do it there we should do it there. And who knows, the DRM Revival Mod might release any day now.

Edit: We did 90s DTM once, it went well and is certainly a good candidate for a series.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
When does the Porsche pack come out or has it not been announced yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'd kill for some oval racing that wasnt iRacing.