Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

jre posted:

Season ticket is worth at least £300

how exactly do you use this when you'll be expected to be at all the games anyway, prancing around in front of schoolchildren?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

PiCroft posted:

Anyone who orders one will be added to a watch list.

:golfclap:

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Nicola Sturgeon reassures EU nationals in Scotland

And calls out Theresa may for being an evil cow.

Teenagers are learning to use a condom.

Canadian newspaper Toronto Star wants Nicola to be in charge of the UK?

quote:

A NOVEL suggestion to solve the current problem of who’s actually in charge of Britain has been raised by the Canadian newspaper the Toronto Star.

Harking back to the Union of the Crowns in 1603, the Star suggests that Scotland’s uncrowned leader Nicola Sturgeon could well be the person to sort out the mess caused by the Brexit vote.

Pointing out that David Cameron has “fallen on his sword” and that Boris Johnson is a non-starter, the newspaper’s editorial claims that “Labour loyalists fear their party is on the fast track to oblivion.”

The Star is in no doubt about who should fill the political vacuum: “England’s politicians have clearly made a hash of things. Which leads us to a modest proposal, firmly grounded in history, to restore a measure of sanity and stability to Britain’s political life.

“The only British politician who has so far weathered the crisis with her reputation enhanced is not English at all. It’s Nicola Sturgeon.

“While all about her were losing their heads, Sturgeon kept hers. She stepped confidently forth to make Scotland’s case for staying in the EU and for having another crack at a referendum on independence.

“Clearly, this is a leader to be reckoned with, one with the grit and clear head needed in a shambles like the one the English have created. Why not find a way to put her in charge of righting the British ship and steering a path through the Euro mess?”

The Star does point out that there’s the “little matter” of Sturgeon being a dedicated Scottish nationalist who doesn’t actually believe in the U.K. as currently constituted, but with a fine appreciation of past events, they point to a precedent.

“In fact, a Scot has come forward before to save the English from political chaos of their own making,” they write.

“When Queen Elizabeth I, last of the Tudor monarchs, died in 1603, she left no children and no obvious heir. Given the intrigue and bloody political infighting of the previous few decades, many English feared their kingdom would be torn apart by rival claimants to the throne.

“In stepped King James VI of Scotland, a distant cousin of Queen Elizabeth who had the great merit of being someone the various English factions could agree on.

“He was crowned King James I of England and Ireland, uniting the thrones of the three kingdoms in his own person. He kept peace in the British Isles for the next 22 years.

“Desperate times call for desperate measures. And for Britain, these are politically desperate days. They could do worse than look north.”

The National has been assured that the Toronto Star is deadly serious, but we have also been told that while she appreciates the compliment, First Minister Sturgeon already has a country to run.

Also on Bella Caledonia, they seem to be doing a series of articles of people expressing their views on why their changing their stance on indepedence. Not sure if anyone is interested or not.

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2016/06/30/new-yes-1/
http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2016/07/05/new-yes-2/

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Never mind the politics of it, this is a clever little take on events

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

SNP could be thinking of leaving the Greens-EFA group in European Parliament

EU diplomats seem to be supportive with Sturgeon

Brian Ashcroft, Fraser of Allander Institute has his say and his study on Brexit and how it would affect Scotland in both short-term and long-term

:ironicat: <----

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The SNP are planning to ditch Catalan separatists haha.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kezia giving a speech right now. Mostly about how much of a loving catastrophe Brexit is. Nothing about Corbyn or independence yet. Ian Murray sitting in the front row though

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Blaming Brexit on austerity and the hollowing out of the working class. Talking about needing a new political consensus. 2008 "brought the curtain down" on liberalism. Brexit was a strike against the political class. "Too quick to follow public opinion rather than leading it".

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Hitting out at the SNP for not reaching out to Leave voters after the referendum. Ruling out supporting independence, I think.

Talking a lot about reaching out to the disenfranchised. Worries about radicalisation.

"Need immigrants for our economy to function well"

She just dismissed triangulation by name. Politicians need to argue for the policies they want to implement.

Lots of anti-austerity rhetoric. If this isn't a pro-Corbyn speech she's trying to coopt his platform.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Not much happening at the moment for obvious reasons.

Even the Times is wondering what's left for Ruth Davidson

Kurt Mills, Senior Lecturer in International Human Rights at the University of Glasgow has his say on the matter

Autonomous Monster posted:

Hitting out at the SNP for not reaching out to Leave voters after the referendum. Ruling out supporting independence, I think.

The Labour voters voted to Remain more then the SNP voters. Surely that preety much means that it's going to backfire against them again like LabourforIndy except with possibly a lot more backing this time. She can say what she wants but if her voters don't agree with it then she may just be putting another nail on the coffen again.

Pissflaps posted:

The SNP are planning to ditch Catalan separatists haha.

It is ironic but I assume the reason is because of not getting to cozy with the Catalan separatists when Spain is an obstucle, though an obstacle that won't get a majority anyways depending what status Scotland gets.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Extreme0 posted:

The Labour voters voted to Remain more then the SNP voters.

Statistics pedantry time: unless you're looking at a different survey than the Ashcroft one, there was only one percentage point in that, which sounds likely to fall within whatever the margins of error were. Actually, was there a breakdown of Scottish Labour voters? Might be an interesting question. (e: no there wasn't)

Hitting out at the SNP for not reaching out to Leave voters after the referendum.

She just dismissed triangulation by name. Politicians need to argue for the policies they want to implement.

This does sound like a bit of a contradiction, though. I haven't seen the actual speech but.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 7, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I dunno, I still haven't met anyone who's been turned pro-Indy by Brexit. If they're out there they're keeping quiet about it.

How large can that constituency really be? We're looking at the intersection of Remain and No, and the subset of that for whom EU membership was the deciding factor in their No vote. I'd be surprised if there's five points in it, if that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Angepain posted:

This does sound like a bit of a contradiction, though. I haven't seen the actual speech but.

There were cameras on it, I'll see if I can find a video of it. LabourList writeup here: http://labourlist.org/2016/07/kezia-dugdale-brexit-referendum-result-exposed-scotlands-divisions/

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Judging by some media output it's clear the result has come as a shock for some traditional No voters and made them reassess their position - I think a hypothetical Indyref the Friday after EUref could well have produced a Yes result.

But as time goes on, and the pragmatic arguments come to the fore, I think it'll be less and less of a factor.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I dunno, I still haven't met anyone who's been turned pro-Indy by Brexit. If they're out there they're keeping quiet about it.

How large can that constituency really be? We're looking at the intersection of Remain and No, and the subset of that for whom EU membership was the deciding factor in their No vote. I'd be surprised if there's five points in it, if that.

EU membership doesn't have to be the deciding factor. All that is required is the belief, now, that Scotland is hosed if it remains in a non-EU UK.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Pissflaps posted:

Judging by some media output it's clear the result has come as a shock for some traditional No voters and made them reassess their position - I think a hypothetical Indyref the Friday after EUref could well have produced a Yes result.

But as time goes on, and the pragmatic arguments come to the fore, I think it'll be less and less of a factor.

I agree with this - if Indyref2 happens, it's likely to take a year or more to go through the whole process - runup, campaigning, debates etc like it did last time. Once that occurs, it is inevitable that arguments will need to turn to practical concerns, such as currency, economy, what share of the debt we inherit, borders etc.

If someone was a No voter last time, they will still want answers to these questions and as time goes on, the emotional impact of Brexit will fade. Perhaps when we actually pull the trigger on Article 50, these feelings will renew, but I doubt it's enough to sway people from last time.

I think, however, the larger impact will be as that article Extreme0 linked - the resurgent English Nationalist sentiment and especially within the Tories. Whether it's wise to base an irrevocable political breakup on something that is transitory like that, I don't know. All I know is, what is happening in the political system at the moment and the kind of people looking to become the leader of the nation is making me deeply uneasy and even pragmatic economic arguments are somewhat dry and bitter against that at the moment.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

EU membership doesn't have to be the deciding factor. All that is required is the belief, now, that Scotland is hosed if it remains in a non-EU UK.

If the UK is hosed then so is Scotland - with or without Independence, in or out of the EU.

It's the same as the facile argument that the UK should leave the EU because the latter is about to go down the shitter. As the UK relies on a healthy EU for prosperity, so Scotland relies on the UK.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Hey, Twitter people: is there any particular accounts you'd recommend following for interesting or breaking news/views on Scottish politics/culture/social issues?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The intersection is pretty major in some of the biggest No areas, eg Edinburgh was ~75% remain and 61% No, but the biggest Yes areas were still solidly Remain

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 7, 2016

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

The intersection is pretty major in some of the biggest No areas, eg Edinburgh was ~75% remain and 61% No, but the biggest Yes areas were still solidly Remain

that intersection alone (if they switched to Yes) would make the election too close to call

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scotland/comments/4rl0js/discussion_contribute_to_rscotlands_scottish/

Seems like a community FAQ is up on r/scotland based around Independence and the issues surronding it and it appears to be actually okay. I know it's Reddit but it appears that r/Scotland is at least actually not toxic compared to most of reddit.

Niric posted:

Hey, Twitter people: is there any particular accounts you'd recommend following for interesting or breaking news/views on Scottish politics/culture/social issues?

@GrayInGlasgow
@neilslorance
@patrickharvie
@Ross_Greer

PiCroft posted:

If someone was a No voter last time, they will still want answers to these questions and as time goes on, the emotional impact of Brexit will fade. Perhaps when we actually pull the trigger on Article 50, these feelings will renew, but I doubt it's enough to sway people from last time.

The emotional impact of Brexit will fade over time but not the economic & diplomatic impact which will stick and be reminded for a long time. Prices will raise a considerable amount for most products, bussiness & careers that relied on the EU will get hosed and the motion of free movement getting hosed will also make things more difficult for people moving about around the EEA & Tourism alike. And that's just a very short list of things going to happen for years to come.

Basically it's not only the poor that are going to get affect but also the middle class too. The poor were always hosed regardless but the middle class at least kept themselves OK but still felt the sting of the recession and austerity project. This however I think is going to gently caress them along with the poor in some manner.

PiCroft posted:

I think, however, the larger impact will be as that article Extreme0 linked - the resurgent English Nationalist sentiment and especially within the Tories. Whether it's wise to base an irrevocable political breakup on something that is transitory like that, I don't know. All I know is, what is happening in the political system at the moment and the kind of people looking to become the leader of the nation is making me deeply uneasy and even pragmatic economic arguments are somewhat dry and bitter against that at the moment.

People who rely on human beings as bargaining chips or think the LGBT are mentally ill and have power to do so is the type of shithole I want to get out of regardless of the consquences. That's near sociopath behavior and anyone who thinks it's going to be OK are deluding themselves.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Extreme0 posted:

People who rely on human beings as bargaining chips or think the LGBT are mentally ill and have power to do so is the type of shithole I want to get out of regardless of the consquences. That's near sociopath behavior and anyone who thinks it's going to be OK are deluding themselves.

It seems quaint that when Cameron won the last election, I was worried of the state of the welfare state and the NHS - now I worry for the state of basic civil rights.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Extreme0 posted:

@GrayInGlasgow
@neilslorance
@patrickharvie
@Ross_Greer

Thanks for this. Already following most politicians of interest/job relevance, but Neil Slorance was a new one!

[EDIT: most elected politicians I should say. If you know any interesting activist/policy types, that'd be great]

Niric fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 8, 2016

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

If the UK is hosed then so is Scotland - with or without Independence, in or out of the EU.

It's the same as the facile argument that the UK should leave the EU because the latter is about to go down the shitter. As the UK relies on a healthy EU for prosperity, so Scotland relies on the UK.

There is a difference between being hosed under the Tories and hosed under the SNP within the EU. The Tories will make sure the poorest bare the brunt of Brexit's downsides. They will still have human rights while someone like Leadsom is busy removing ours in order to wage her war on political correctness. What you're actually saying is there is no downside to splitting. If the UK somehow pulls back then they will still be a valuable trading partner with the EU, including Scotland. If they stay hosed then at least Scotland can look after its own and protect things like health services while the UK ravages itself.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Niric posted:

Thanks for this. Already following most politicians of interest/job relevance, but Neil Slorance was a new one!

[EDIT: most elected politicians I should say. If you know any interesting activist/policy types, that'd be great]

Scottish Twitter lawyers are a pro follow, especially for land reform and constitutional issues. I'd recommend @PeatWorrier @loveandgarbage @trewloy @MalcolmCombe @profchalmers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

There is a difference between being hosed under the Tories and hosed under the SNP within the EU. The Tories will make sure the poorest bare the brunt of Brexit's downsides.

I mean that's sort of what the EU's doing to Greece.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Scottish Twitter lawyers are a pro follow, especially for land reform and constitutional issues. I'd recommend @PeatWorrier @loveandgarbage @trewloy @MalcolmCombe @profchalmers.

These are perfect, thanks! One thing though, is @loveandgarbage now called something else? Account with that name seems to be inactive

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Niric posted:

These are perfect, thanks! One thing though, is @loveandgarbage now called something else? Account with that name seems to be inactive

It was a phone typo actually, loveandgarbage became trewloy at some point and got confused.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

If they stay hosed then at least Scotland can look after its own and protect things like health services while the UK ravages itself.

I'm not sure this is true.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm not sure that it's not true.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I have an opinion on this matter.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Angepain posted:

I have an opinion on this matter.

Controversial

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Stick with @trewloy (the former @loveandgarbage) even when he goes a bit odd (his "think of a number between one and a million" game where he retweeted all the hundreds of replies, for example) - he's a master of the twitter form, and utterly forensically brutal when he gets the bit between his teeth on a legal matter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

There is a difference between being hosed under the Tories and hosed under the SNP within the EU. The Tories will make sure the poorest bare the brunt of Brexit's downsides. They will still have human rights while someone like Leadsom is busy removing ours in order to wage her war on political correctness. What you're actually saying is there is no downside to splitting. If the UK somehow pulls back then they will still be a valuable trading partner with the EU, including Scotland. If they stay hosed then at least Scotland can look after its own and protect things like health services while the UK ravages itself.

To add another point to this: while Scotland will almost certainly be just as massively hosed by declaring independence as it would be by remaining in the hosed UK, the independent Scotland is preferable simply because it will be easier to leave it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What is our next PM Angela Leadstrom's policy on Scotland? Would she give us indyref 2, or is she going to send the tanks in?

Aug 4, 2010

marktheando posted:

What is our next PM Angela Leadstrom's policy on Scotland? Would she give us indyref 2, or is she going to send the tanks in?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/maggie-mark-ii-would-pm-8382453

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Time to party like its 1956!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If this is true it's really sad.

edit: Did Alyn Smith really use that insane 'the UK is not a real country' argument in the European Parliament?

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 9, 2016

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I don't know about that. Do they have a lot of rats in Estonia? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015
So has the world come to a end yet ? Is there still food in the supermarkets ? Do i need a wheel barrow to carry 600000000 rubles to buy a loaf of bread ?
Imagine if the rest of the country had to bail out the financial sector London "ohh sorry I forgot that happened already under the EU eutopia that shields us from all evil"

Yep project fear failed big time and now its time for project spit are dummy's and stamp are feet and call every one a racists idiot who knows not what he are she voted for .
Best part of it is some of you people think your the solution when the truth is your the minority problem and the days of spurting left wing dribble from a bubble and getting paid for it are over. Doesn't democracy suck when your on the wrong end of it :P

Only question I wonder is how on earth G Osbourne has the nerve to show his face in public again . Truly a classic example of a two faced scare mongering politician if there ever was one , just a few weeks ago he try's to intimidate pensioners and scare cancer patients with lies , and the loving left forgives it all as they tend to do if it suits there agenda and mean while that Evil man Mr farage post a factual picture of refuges that the BBC used its self just last year and people cry murder lol .

Then we have the BBC left wing fascists who are born with a inbuilt hate of all things British and if you happen to be a white middle aged male well they just hate you that bit more . EU gravy train is sunk.The next target is the BBC gravy train soon all you will have left is retweets and likes on facebook and comment section in the Telegraph to reconfirm your Champaign socialist views .

Hell even a party leader with a massive majority of labour party members backing him is now subject to the, never done a days work in are life Champaign socialist revolt .
Angela Eagle what a loving joke that women is she was born in a think tank and has as much substance as a fart in the wind and now because democracy did not go her way decides she should rule over a elected leader that is in place .

Christ they all stood and watched that Muppet Ed Milliband sink that party with his dribble for the past 5 years and suddenly the public votes to leave the EU and these Muppets want to blame the leader of the labour party for it , good on Jeremy Corbyn for saying a big gently caress you to them all I have new found respect for the man.

Also thanks for the week ban I was given for no reason what so ever, I Understand you people don't like it when people give it back to you I know its cold out there, but its been glorious watching all the tears in this thread, its like 40 ED miliband clones spawned at once in a thread.

I leave you with a nice little clip of GO and a pic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRpG3olg3JY

P.S Yes I am a vile middle aged racist who cant spell for poo poo

moonraker fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 10, 2016