Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I will concede that the sudden death thing is loving retarded as poo poo, although it does promote a sort of "special teams" mentality to win it but come on... its so unnecessary

then again who gives a gently caress cause the game is fun and we're just scratching the surface of the 9 billion combinations of ways to hilariously gank someone

btw I was placed as a level 57 competitive player at ... level 25 :smug: holy gently caress people liked to bitch about that when i joined their game

rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

The Protagonist posted:

People wasting their lives for shiny textures is the future we live in.

pretty soon big corporations will be paying their employees in shiny textures

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Saint Peter don't you call me cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the Battle.net store.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
There's a mentality that seems to ooze over from physical sports into competitive online sports where winning is everything and that bragging and shittalking is a right you earn by being victorious. I don't brag since the last fps I was consistently good at was quake, but shittalking is my inalienable right and I do it whether or not my team wins. It's usually pretty ejaculatory too, because a lot of OW players are younger and they have the stupid lingo that kids use. Hate having to repeat myself to these kids that saying "fam" is stupid and it makes you stupider every time you use it. :corsair:

But my point is that competitive play is undesirable to me, because games are a form of escapism. If I wanted to better myself, I'd go play rugby or something. Now we've got all these people who ruined Starcraft coming in because they think playing as Soldier 76 is a "skill".

The Protagonist posted:

People wasting their lives for shiny textures is the future we live in.
Would not be a bit surprised if one of the characters had a spray that was just a hot blonde in a pink cadillac.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I changed my blizzard name to POONESLAYER , how long before it gets banned you think

I kept trying blizzard naughty names until something worked. interesetingly enough, it blocked poonslayer, but not pooneslayer, you'd think it was "poon" tripping the filter but I guess not

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Poo-ness Layer

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I changed my blizzard name to POONESLAYER , how long before it gets banned you think

I kept trying blizzard naughty names until something worked. interesetingly enough, it blocked poonslayer, but not pooneslayer, you'd think it was "poon" tripping the filter but I guess not
Probably because somebody's got "harpoon" or something. I wonder if "herpoon" would get rejected...

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

!Klams posted:

Finally picked up this game. It's to team fortress as gears of war is to Quake 3 arena. It's like the difference between going go karting or going quad biking. It doesn't really let you do as much as I'd like, but I guess it's a lot shinier. It doesn't really feel like 'polish' though. It feels like the guys who used to make blizzard games wrote a checklist for releasing new games, and this meets all the criteria.

It's like it's so heavily curated that there's no real chance for emergent gameplay. Like, there was one time where I died with roadhog, and it suggested fighting in a closed area. So the next time I waited and used my q in a choke point and killed some fools, and it was great. But. That choke point was put there so I could q fools as roadhog, and the game even told me in writing. And I know, this is true in any well designed game, but it just feels so evident in this game.

I dunno I'll probably play it loads, but I think it would be good if they did some really really off the wall game modes or something, or just did something with it that was really left field, because at the moment it sort of feels like playing a really good, really well designed and genuinely fun 4 piece jigsaw.

the game definitely has problems with that heavily curated feel, but im surprised at how wrong i was about my initial opinion. mcree and widowmaker and a bunch of others feel super one dimensional but trust me play genji or pharah for a good while and you will realize the maps have a whole lotta verticality and shortcuts. i mean poo poo it aint perfect but its refreshingly different and fun

also it borrows a lot from team fortress dfont try to say its something different because its streamlined and has wacky anime characters

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

nigga crab pollock posted:

the game definitely has problems with that heavily curated feel, but im surprised at how wrong i was about my initial opinion. mcree and widowmaker and a bunch of others feel super one dimensional but trust me play genji or pharah for a good while and you will realize the maps have a whole lotta verticality and shortcuts. i mean poo poo it aint perfect but its refreshingly different and fun

also it borrows a lot from team fortress dfont try to say its something different because its streamlined and has wacky anime characters

remember also some of the heros give me bonners

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

CrashCat posted:

didn't save the link but i found another

http://www.monkeysfightingrobots.com/overwatchs-zarya/

probably :nws: or something

no thigh gap = fat

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

AugmentedVision posted:

no thigh gap = fat
some well-formed fat then

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Yeah, it one hundred percent is a team fortress clone, but I mean, that's kind of a genre. Like, it's really really similar to TF2, but not at all similar to Team Fortress the quake mod. (Except, actually, yes it is, that had grappling hooks too, never mind).

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

CrashCat posted:

didn't save the link but i found another

http://www.monkeysfightingrobots.com/overwatchs-zarya/

probably :nws: or something

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Overwatch is better than TF2 in two important ways: first, it has boobs, and second, more people play it.

aside from that, I think it's pretty obvious it's an inferior game.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The most annoying thing about tf2 is that fans seem to think the game was totally original. It's just a clone. The only thing original about it were the character models, which were just made to be cutesy. The fact that Blizzard cashed in and has quickly outpaced them just goes to show what a forgettable game it was. But go ahead and keep jerking off about it if you want. In a few years it'll be all but forgotten, just like OW will be in a decade or so.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

phasmid posted:

The most annoying thing about tf2 is that fans seem to think the game was totally original. It's just a clone. The only thing original about it were the character models, which were just made to be cutesy. The fact that Blizzard cashed in and has quickly outpaced them just goes to show what a forgettable game it was. But go ahead and keep jerking off about it if you want. In a few years it'll be all but forgotten, just like OW will be in a decade or so.

ya dude. team fortress 2, team fortress classic, fortress forever, theyre all just shameless knock offs of a quake mod. how could anyone think theyre original ideas....

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

phasmid posted:

The most annoying thing about tf2 is that fans seem to think the game was totally original.
there's literally a "two" in the name??

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Zorodius posted:

Overwatch is better than TF2 in two important ways: first, it has boobs, and second, more people play it.

aside from that, I think it's pretty obvious it's an inferior game.

are you actually sure that more people play Overwatch than TF2

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

ya dude. team fortress 2, team fortress classic, fortress forever, theyre all just shameless knock offs of a quake mod. how could anyone think theyre original ideas....

CrashCat posted:

there's literally a "two" in the name??

You know what I mean, wise guys. Tf is touted as a mix between fun and groundbreaking and it's neither one. At least Overwatch gets the fun part right.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
nothing is original u doofuses!!!!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I hate infodumps and even dark souls gave away too much lore too easily, imo. I enjoy getting my lore from graffiti on the subway walls.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
This morning I was playing Mercy on Hollywood defense and ended up getting teamed up with the world's most stoned Hanzo who kept telling me I was beautiful and amazing on teamchat every time I healed him. You better believe I kept that motherfucker topped off the entire game.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

this game got really bad on all fronts once competitive got released. i knew blizzard people were fun hating weirdos but drat

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

glad i didn't buy the bad game before it got bad

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm still level 15 because I only bought it last week and can only play maybe 2 matches a night. Why has competitive mode hosed it?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

I'm still level 15 because I only bought it last week and can only play maybe 2 matches a night. Why has competitive mode hosed it?

anyone who played a video game before went to go do that. competitive sucks cos games last loving ages, are generally not fun and are full of the worst kind of people. casual sucks now because the people have no idea what they're doing and don't care to figure it out

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i made a video for you guys of a really "Clutch" Mercy match I had yesterday :) XD

https://www.twitch.tv/extracoolguy/v/76629454?t=30m50s

Edit for clarity: you cant hear my voice for some reason i think

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 7, 2016

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

phasmid posted:

Seriously, quake tf wasn't a clone, and really tfc wasn't a clone, but a more fully realised qtf. It feels like it was, and it feels like it must have been, because it's such an obvious and simple idea, but there just wasn't another class based team first person shooter. The nearest thing would be I guess alien vs predator on the Atari jaguar?

They are incredibly similar games, and they have incredibly similar moment to moment experiences, but TF2 is like, nine years old now, it's ok for someone else to come along and do an up to date version. It's kind of like when league of legends came along after dota. It's fine for there too new multiple games in a genre.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
no its not idiot scrub

pick a side fucker!!!!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Zzulu posted:

no its not idiot scrub

pick a side fucker!!!!

Oh well l pick TF2 because it's the much better game then.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

!Klams posted:

Oh well l pick TF2 because it's the much better game then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mMVy5lt9Yw&t=258s

NO

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

!Klams posted:

They are incredibly similar games, and they have incredibly similar moment to moment experiences, but TF2 is like, nine years old now, it's ok for someone else to come along and do an up to date version. It's kind of like when league of legends came along after dota. It's fine for there too new multiple games in a genre.
I agree on all points. I'm just saying that before it came along there were TONS of team-based, party-specific games where you worked together for different objectives. Aside from the omnipresent fanart and commuity, TF is simply nothing special. By some stroke of luck (and marketing) it has this huge fanbase of people who think it's the grandpappy of all team games. It isn't. Saying TF invented the genre is like saying Halo was the first FPS.

Also the artwork is gay and Overwatch has shinier graphics. Game and match.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0F3XfjwAXU

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
half-life 1 dm 4 lyfe

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Overwatch is still good hth

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Nope it's bad

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I fell off the game after a few weeks and I'm still at like level 25, haven't played in a while.
Might pick it up again soon.

Happy to see the good game/bad game discussion is still going strong, god bless.

Also does everyone in Games have an Overwatch title now?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Hot news on the videogame front: Overwatch is still good

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Big news: bad game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
breaking developments: Just checked the game, still good

• Locked thread