Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I think hero stacking is generally a good thing, but there needs to be some sort of limit:

http://plays.tv/video/577d6e928394b38641

The coordination is impressive in itself, managing to actually stall that long. I honestly don't have any clue what you could do that would help.

I like some of the ideas that are like, only a single "double" hero at any given time. So you can run double Tracer, but then you can only have a single Winston and Lucio. Would give more variety to the teams but not allow stuff like the above to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
My dumb Zenyatta suggestion:
Increase the charge speed on his right-click, only it doesn't do damage anymore.
Instead, if you hit your harmony orb target with the projectiles they get burst healed based on the number of projectiles hit and if you hit your discord target they get stunned for a length of time based on how many balls hit them.

Also I think he can have his health back now.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Here's my balance suggestion: Fire whoever designed Temple of Anubis.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
What if Zen's healing orbs did really high healing for the first 3 seconds they latched onto a target? Something like 80 HP a sec (for reference, Lucio's boosted HP aura is 68 HP/sec I think), and then if they are still locked on it would degrade back to it's normal rate. This would make Zen the best Triage healer and also reward him for flinging balls all over the place.

And also increase his HP for the love of god, or the Iris or whatever.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I play zen too aggressively. I'm usually the last guy left on the point dropping balls on chins while everyone's back at spawn. Which makes me think a full on frontline debuff support character could be fun. They could call her Debbie Downer and all the other characters could comment on how depressing it is to be around her or something.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I feel like Zenyatta's biggest flaw is that he doesn't have a defined role. Healer? There are others who are much better. Attacker? The last thing a team needs is a non-hitscan Soldier 76. Damage booster? Mercy can already do that, granted only for one person, but the extra damage could all but be made up by Zenyatta just being a different class more suited for assault. Zenyatta is just spread too thin across too many categories and winds up being lackluster in all of them.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Botting feels like it's becoming more of an issue. My friends and I have seen two pretty certainly botters over the past two nights and that's without us paying much attention.

One didn't matter much because the opposing team was bad and we won convincingly, but we had a second hard match that we lost at the final payload checkpoint. The opposing team had a Phara that seemed godlike until we realized at the end of the match she was bitting.

The opponents played well and deserved the win, but a single cheater on the enemy team trivializes the whole experience. That Phara made some clutch plays that really held us back, but none of that felt fair or earned in retrospect. We were getting stomped a lot last night and that was one of the better matches with a lot of fun back and forth. Seeing a cheat simply ruined it.

I hope blizzard stays on top of the bitters because it really spoils the games. Has anyone else seen obvious botting?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

subx posted:

I think hero stacking is generally a good thing, but there needs to be some sort of limit:

http://plays.tv/video/577d6e928394b38641

The coordination is impressive in itself, managing to actually stall that long. I honestly don't have any clue what you could do that would help.

I like some of the ideas that are like, only a single "double" hero at any given time. So you can run double Tracer, but then you can only have a single Winston and Lucio. Would give more variety to the teams but not allow stuff like the above to happen.

I kinda want to see if a Reinhardt 6-man stack is possible. 300 your way onto the Point or Payload and hold it with rolling Shield switches while the others fireshot and hammer anything in reach.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Comp kind of killed the fun of this game for me, tbh.

me too

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gameko posted:

Botting feels like it's becoming more of an issue. My friends and I have seen two pretty certainly botters over the past two nights and that's without us paying much attention.

One didn't matter much because the opposing team was bad and we won convincingly, but we had a second hard match that we lost at the final payload checkpoint. The opposing team had a Phara that seemed godlike until we realized at the end of the match she was bitting.

The opponents played well and deserved the win, but a single cheater on the enemy team trivializes the whole experience. That Phara made some clutch plays that really held us back, but none of that felt fair or earned in retrospect. We were getting stomped a lot last night and that was one of the better matches with a lot of fun back and forth. Seeing a cheat simply ruined it.

I hope blizzard stays on top of the bitters because it really spoils the games. Has anyone else seen obvious botting?

Is this one of those uncited posts from the official forums?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Gameko posted:

what's a bitter

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I kinda want to see if a Reinhardt 6-man stack is possible. 300 your way onto the Point or Payload and hold it with rolling Shield switches while the others fireshot and hammer anything in reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zofpAa0tCM

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Why so?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Minorkos posted:

what's a bitter

Something you make Old Fashioned with.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

maybe its a combination of just playing a poo poo load of the game since launch and being burned out on it and blizzard forgetting their design documents, but comp just seems completely at odds with the spirit of the game with its try hard necessity, overly long rounds, and arcane ranking system with very little in the way of incentive except for those golden guns, the laziest reward ive ever seen as far as effort/reward goes. its all stick and no carrot

the game, to me, is a short-play goofy arena shooter with almost nothing in the way of punishment for losing. even when you lose in quickplay you still advance and get your rewards while still having played the game the way you wanted to play it. comp takes the core of the game and bungles it straight to hell, and even though quickplay is still there, its different but i cant really articulate how

i also think it could be improved by removing both ninjas and hanamura but thats beside the point

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Does literally every comp team have a Mercy and Lucio now? Jesus.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

maybe its a combination of just playing a poo poo load of the game since launch and being burned out on it and blizzard forgetting their design documents, but comp just seems completely at odds with the spirit of the game with its try hard necessity, overly long rounds, and arcane ranking system with very little in the way of incentive except for those golden guns, the laziest reward ive ever seen as far as effort/reward goes. its all stick and no carrot

the game, to me, is a short-play goofy arena shooter with almost nothing in the way of punishment for losing. even when you lose in quickplay you still advance and get your rewards while still having played the game the way you wanted to play it. comp takes the core of the game and bungles it straight to hell, and even though quickplay is still there, its different but i cant really articulate how

No dammit, you grind out those extra long rounds so you can get your gold-weapon at the same time as everyone else because the game actively enforces a 50% Win ratio on you unless you're in a six-man/can carry your entire team.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
you do not have to play comp mode

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Good Will Hrunting posted:

it should if they want to win

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It's still possible to win without one or the other, but you're just making it harder on yourself. I personally feel like you're putting your team at a big disadvantage without both of them on deck, especially if the other team has a Lucio and Mercy. This is why I'm hoping for some Zenyatta buffs and that Sombra turns out to be a really solid healer to vary up the support role more.

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

i also think it could be improved by removing both ninjas and hanamura but thats beside the point

So, just stick to quick play then?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

QP feels different because 1) they've given us permission not to care at all about the outcome and 2) they put a new reward in the feelbad queue, so our lizard brains make us feel punished for playing anything else.

So when you log on to play for a couple of hours your choice is now, "the queue where nobody cares enough to really try and even your wins feel bad because it could have been a comp point" and "the queue where you play Hanamura for 45 minutes straight, go 2-2 in 3 hours, and drop two ranks."

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

You get nothing for losses in comp as far as earning CP, right? That sucks. Why shouldn't the losers get +1 CP while the winners earn +2? At least your nearly hour long struggle on a bad map isn't just -1 rank, +xp you don't care about.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

nickhimself posted:

You get nothing for losses in comp as far as earning CP, right? That sucks. Why shouldn't the losers get +1 CP while the winners earn +2? At least your nearly hour long struggle on a bad map isn't just -1 rank, +xp you don't care about.

This was posted on the forums a while ago, but people exploded on how competitive shouldn't reward losing/losers and everyone wants things handed to them, etc. I like being able to earn them, even on a loss, like xp, and having the winners earn two so that every game is at least worth something, even if you lose rank, but not everyone shares that opinion.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'm in a bit of a bind. I play with my brother and mutual friends but we get our butts kicked all the time. I'm the highest in the group, 62, and most of them are in the mid 30s and 40s. None of us are particularly great at FPSes. Unfortunately our win rate is like 20% and it mostly bugs me because it feels like the matchmaker puts us against stacks who are all uber-good players. Usually they're much higher level than us and obviously way more skilled. It makes me unchill at times and then I feel super awful after I play with them because I got unchill.

I'm not sure what to do. I know part of it is taking steps to just be more chill, but I would at least like to not get stomped most of the time. Any tips?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Didn't the 50% win rate thing get completely debunked

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

DrSeRRoD posted:

This was posted on the forums a while ago, but people exploded on how competitive shouldn't reward losing/losers and everyone wants things handed to them, etc. I like being able to earn them, even on a loss, like xp, and having the winners earn two so that every game is at least worth something, even if you lose rank, but not everyone shares that opinion.

They don't have to hand people things, just make it so that a good individual performance in a match compensates for the loss, making it a +-0

flatluigi posted:

I'm pretty sure I've personally debunked it, my win rate in competitive is consistently much much worse than in QP

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

flatluigi posted:

There was never even anything to debunk.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Not the ones running double lucio! :pseudo:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Double Lucio is really fun as one of the Lucios if you and the other Lucio communicate.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
There is a level 460 in the US

The game has been out for 44 days. That's 1056 hours roughly.

This player has 364 hours in game.

If they sleep 6 hours a day that's 264 hours of sleep
If they eat/poop for a total 2 hours a day that's 88 hours.

So 1056-264-88 is 704 hours available for living and doing whatever.

They've been playing Overwatch for 51% of that time since May 24.

Samara fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 7, 2016

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

flatluigi posted:

It's not really a thing to debunk. It's a poor interpretation of how Match Making Rating works.

It's true that you will have very close to a 50% winrate if your in-game MMR is close or at your true skill level, and your games are matched up with people whose in-game MMR also well reflects their true MMR. The game just makes it so the MMR is almost equal so there's a presumed "50/50" chance of winning that individual game.

In practice there are too many variables that make your in-game MMR inaccurately reflect your true skill level so if you're better than your MMR then you'll exceed 50%, if not you'll go below 50%. At some point your MMR should in theory align with your skill level, so it'll stablize, but that may take a thousand or more games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samara posted:

So what you're saying it that they're a true fan and we need to get on their level?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Samara posted:

So... they've played the game a little more than 8 hours per day? Okay? That's pretty tame as far as binge gaming goes.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Samara posted:

The really crazy part is that they're definitely not playing this game for their job with a rank of 38. I guess Overwatch is as good a way to spend your summer holiday as anything else.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dragongem posted:

It's not really a thing to debunk. It's a poor interpretation of how Match Making Rating works.

It's true that you will have very close to a 50% winrate if your in-game MMR is close or at your true skill level, and your games are matched up with people whose in-game MMR also well reflects their true MMR. The game just makes it so the MMR is almost equal so there's a presumed "50/50" chance of winning that individual game.

In practice there are too many variables that make your in-game MMR inaccurately reflect your true skill level so if you're better than your MMR then you'll exceed 50%, if not you'll go below 50%. At some point your MMR should in theory align with your skill level, so it'll stablize, but that may take a thousand or more games.

When I played World of Tanks, I was a bit of a statsfag. I think I remember calculating that, despite being able to influence your win rate a ton in that game, you needed something like 5000+ battles to have a high level of confidence that the win rate was due to your own influence, vs. random deviation from your 14 teammates and 15 enemies. That was in a game without any skill matching at all.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

nickhimself posted:

So... they've played the game a little more than 8 hours per day? Okay? That's pretty tame as far as binge gaming goes.

I think you should add a couple more hours per day for waiting and menus and such.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Still really not a big deal.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

nickhimself posted:

Still really not a big deal.

Seek help

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Orange Crush Rush posted:

What if Zen's healing orbs did really high healing for the first 3 seconds they latched onto a target? Something like 80 HP a sec (for reference, Lucio's boosted HP aura is 68 HP/sec I think), and then if they are still locked on it would degrade back to it's normal rate. This would make Zen the best Triage healer and also reward him for flinging balls all over the place.

And also increase his HP for the love of god, or the Iris or whatever.

My dumb idea for a zen buff/rework: go full in on the balance/harmony shtick. Keep his orbs as is except now you can target enemies with harmony orb. Putting a harmony orb on an enemy with a discord orb will cause an explosion that damages them. If a team mate with a harmony orb goes near an enemy with a discord orb a small explosion happens and pushes both away from each other.

Alt fire changed so that each orb hit on a friendly with a harmony orb increases the healing done by 5 or 10 health per second.

Ult had a bigger radius now.

Orbs would probably have to have a cooldown now. All I can come up with on a lunch break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Samara posted:

I mean that's not great, but hey we've all been 12-16 before we discovered weed/women/men, with far too much time to kill at grandmas or something.

i wish i was 15 again