Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don't even think CWII is that good, but it's worth pointing out that Tony Stark has never in his life known how to deal with things he can't solve by putting on a robot suit and punching them and is just bugfuck out of his mind with grief, so he's gonna put on a robot suit and punch people about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's only two issues in and Tony Stark is having a mental breakdown, and the Inhumans react to his incroachment on their territory like the Inhumans do. Nobody is really out of character. There's plenty of time for things to fall off a cliff, like Bendis events do, but it's off to a decent start.

My guess on new Iron Man is that for at least the first arc, nobody knows she's in the armor, and the Tony AI does the talking, leading to comical misunderstandings.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I feel we had Carol initially being 'right' in that yes, Thanos is bad and needs to be stopped before absolute havoc is wrought, but we're swinging super hard towards Minority Reporting. I think Ms. Marvel being told that it was Basically Racial Profiling was a semi-hamfisted way to express this, but that'll probably just be the tip of the iceberg of terrible rhetoric. Likewise, given that Star-Lord's getting involved at some point, Carol's probably going to try and make the thought police a cosmic department. Tony's going to be made retroactively right by Ulysses resulting in something terrible further down the line, but right now he's looking pretty foolish.

I think they should really be clearer about how much of a timeframe they were operating under when Rhodey got dunked on, too. Yes, Minority Reporting is bad, but if Carol had enough time to assemble a team and beat Thanos to the punch, why'd she not call up the best and brightest for the job? Surely Thanos is a threat that warrants the most A of teams.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why is Thor talking in that archaic way in the most recent Vote Loki? Does she do that in order to hide that she's actually from Midgard? As far as I'm aware she doesn't do that in Mighty Thor. It must feel so stupid having to fake that dialect. "Oh. Wow. Indeed thou dost burn him."
Also she basically drops that again on the next page.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gilok posted:

Ok so what did I miss, why is he a criminal now?

He's not, I figure the writer called for some villain with a similar/same name and the artist pulled up Wikipedia and went "got it" then no one in editorial caught it. Like that time that someone put Hazmat from forgotten video game Marvel Nemesis into a crowd shot in Marvel Universe vs. The Avengers instead of Hazmat from Avengers Academy.

Alternately, Inferno is gonna turn heel in an upcoming issue of Uncanny Inhumans and this comic accidentally spoiled it.

Edge & Christian posted:

It feels like Civil War II is headed in the same direction as Civil War I in that there's no clear set of rules in place and so people's arguments can be as good or bad as they want to be within a given book.

Yep, and much like CW1, it seems like the sides are gonna end up so vague and weird that years down the line we'll be able to say that "Well Captain America Marvel Was Right, but Tony had a point" or vice versa and still have pointless internet arguments!

e: although I guess it looks like Tony is more likely to die so maybe he'll be Right. It'd be a shame for Holo-Tony to hang around going "Man I really screwed up bad on that whole second Civil War. drat, two for two being wrong."

e2:

WAR FOOT posted:

I think they should really be clearer about how much of a timeframe they were operating under when Rhodey got dunked on, too. Yes, Minority Reporting is bad, but if Carol had enough time to assemble a team and beat Thanos to the punch, why'd she not call up the best and brightest for the job? Surely Thanos is a threat that warrants the most A of teams.

IIRC, the most recent Captain Marvel actually does give a little bit of a timeline. Ulysses gets his vision like 3 hours before Thanos shows up, and Carol assembles her crew by within an hour, and I think Rhodey is already there because he and Carol were hooking up. So they go to the place Thanos is coming, formulate their plan, and wait til he shows.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 7, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
That's surely enough time to assemble an A Team in the Marvel Universe? Eh, it's a minor quibble.Comic book logic.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Air is lava! posted:

Why is Thor talking in that archaic way in the most recent Vote Loki? Does she do that in order to hide that she's actually from Midgard? As far as I'm aware she doesn't do that in Mighty Thor. It must feel so stupid having to fake that dialect. "Oh. Wow. Indeed thou dost burn him."

Initially it was a gag that she would speak Asgardian, but her thoughts were modern. Other writers just go with whatever is more convenient/funny.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Air is lava! posted:

She generally speaks in Asgardian, with thought bubbles in regular English. The hammer makes her a Goddess, and apparently one of the powers of Thor is to sound like the language hasn't evolved in a few hundred years. You get used to it. (And it isn't really consistent.nowadays)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I really wish they'd just drop it. Maybe it's something Americans find interesting and exotic but it always seemed eye-rollingly goofy to me, like someone saying "Zounds!" or whatever.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

WAR FOOT posted:

That's surely enough time to assemble an A Team in the Marvel Universe? Eh, it's a minor quibble.Comic book logic.

They got a pretty good team anyway, as evidenced by the fact Thanos dropped, and it's fully explicable that they might not have found more people in that timeframe. A-list superheroes tend to go off the grid now and again.

I've seen the scene in two or three books now and they've only had three hours or so in every one of them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I got a behind-the-scenes question.

Bendis being a bad writer is whatever. I don't care. But when discussing CWII elsewhere just now (more on that in a bit) someone recounted an anecdote of how Bendis kept interfering in another writer's comic because the writer wanted to bring Wanda back. That other writer eventually had to go to Disney to make Bendis back off and after finishing the book he left Marvel because of the poo poo he had to put up with.

Is this true?

The reason this came up was because a lot of people are saying the CWII tie-ins are virtually ignoring the "crossover" and they think Bendis will do something "big" to gently caress with all of them and make sure they pay attention to him.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

That's the first I've ever heard of that, and it doesn't sound likely. If editorial wanted to bring Wanda back, then there's nothing Bendis could really do about it; and if they didn't, there's nothing this alleged other writer could do.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

but wanda's already back?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Squizzle posted:

That's the first I've ever heard of that, and it doesn't sound likely. If editorial wanted to bring Wanda back, then there's nothing Bendis could really do about it; and if they didn't, there's nothing this alleged other writer could do.

SynthOrange posted:

but wanda's already back?

Here's what the other guy said:

quote:

Heinburg wanted to write Wanda's return in Children's Crusade.

Bendis kept interfering in his book.

Heinburg went to Disney.

Disney said stop that.

Heinburg wrote CC and left marvel in disgust because of Bendis interference.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 7, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bendis has been known to fight to protect his story plans, and he also blocks people on twitter at the drop of a hat, but nothing I've heard of the man has made him seem like some kind of vindictive, temper-tantrum-throwing attention-grabbing babyman like you're describing. It sounds like the kind of ad hoc narrative people on 4chan will concoct about a creator who's output they currently dislike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heinberg leaving sounds like a net positive, so Bendis was just doing Walt's work if there's any truth to that at all (there's not lol if you think some scrub writer can just go complain to Disney execs).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good, CC was loving trash.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wanderer posted:

They got a pretty good team anyway, as evidenced by the fact Thanos dropped, and it's fully explicable that they might not have found more people in that timeframe. A-list superheroes tend to go off the grid now and again.

I've seen the scene in two or three books now and they've only had three hours or so in every one of them.

They had the Ultimates and some of A-Force. They had plenty of power, but what we saw was miscommunication. Having more people there wouldn't have solved that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Going to Disney to complain about a Marvel Comics story decision would get a "Who the gently caress is this guy?", a quiet call to probably Quesada, who would eventually filter that poo poo down to whoever that persons editor is to have a Very Unpleasant Conversation about why you don't loving go to goddamn Disney about a dumb comic decision.

It's not even a believable lie. If the dude wanted to go over Bendis' head and didn't trust "his" editor he's go to Alonso (who was eic at the time I think)

Wait did Disney even own Marvel by the time Children's Crusade was coming out?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Wait did Disney even own Marvel by the time Children's Crusade was coming out?
Disney and Marvel announced the acquisition in 2009. Children's Crusade started in 2011, so yes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the Marvel Unlimited app buggy and crashy for anyone else since it updated yesterday?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

CapnAndy posted:

The three of you need to be reading Ultimates.

I am, it's the best Marvel book right now. Doesn't change that Galactus is as much a punchline as anything.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Air is lava! posted:

I might be wrong, but later on the book seems to imply that "Thor" there is actually Loki disguised as her.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This also clears up an issue since Loki in Mighty Thor is, like, wanted for trying to assassinate the All-Mother and it's confusing why Thor wouldn't try to track him down for that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SilverSupernova posted:

I might be wrong, but later on the book seems to imply that "Thor" there is actually Loki disguised as her.

It's been a while since I read a Loki book but wasn't his power broken for a while where he couldn't look like other people?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Cripes, am I the only one here not bothering with CWII? After the good, crazy times of Secret Wars, I just don't care about whatever second rate event nonsense guys like Bendis poo poo out, I'm just sticking to my usual monthlies and putting up with the fallout/whatever they've shoehorned in from it in affected books. Speaking of, if they're killing off She-Hulk or whatever, I can really see that gelling well with Super Happy Funtime Pasty Walker...
:smith:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Cripes, am I the only one here not bothering with CWII? After the good, crazy times of Secret Wars, I just don't care about whatever second rate event nonsense guys like Bendis poo poo out, I'm just sticking to my usual monthlies and putting up with the fallout/whatever they've shoehorned in from it in affected books. Speaking of, if they're killing off She-Hulk or whatever, I can really see that gelling well with Super Happy Funtime Pasty Walker...
:smith:

She-Hulk is probably gonna be fine.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah there's no way She Hulk dies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IDGAF about CWII, so it's not just you.

Like, I'm not reading a Bendis event ever again. Fool me like three times, shame on you.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is the Marvel Unlimited app buggy and crashy for anyone else since it updated yesterday?

Yes

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

NikkolasKing posted:

Bendis being a bad writer is whatever. I don't care. But when discussing CWII elsewhere just now (more on that in a bit) someone recounted an anecdote of how Bendis kept interfering in another writer's comic because the writer wanted to bring Wanda back. That other writer eventually had to go to Disney to make Bendis back off and after finishing the book he left Marvel because of the poo poo he had to put up with.

Is this true?

The reason this came up was because a lot of people are saying the CWII tie-ins are virtually ignoring the "crossover" and they think Bendis will do something "big" to gently caress with all of them and make sure they pay attention to him.

Let's review these assertions.

1) Heinburg wanted to write Wanda's return in Children's Crusade.

Allan Heinberg's first run of Young Avengers came out in 2005-2006. This was more or less concurrent to House of M, so it's obviously not talking about that return, but I guess her return after House of M.

There was talk of a "season 2" of Young Avengers almost immediately after the first year ended. They put off having anyone else do an Young Avengers ongoing.
Editors talked about getting scripts for the book in 2008, then it was going to come out in 2009.

Finally , the first issue shipped in the summer of 2010, nearly four years after Heinberg's first run on the book ended. I have no reason to not believe that he wanted to write Wanda's return, he said so himself five years later when he got around to doing it.

2). Bendis kept interfering in his book.Bendis was writing the mainline Avengers book in 2005 when Heinberg launched YA. He was also writing the book in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 when Heinberg was taking his sweet time getting to "Wanda's return". He was often writing two Avengers books a month during that time, and was participating in/writing Civil War, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, and Siege.

All while Heinberg worked on his twelve issue series to cover "Wanda's return". From what I can recall of preview pages/interviews, the interference was basically "hey I'm writing this issue and Thor isn't back and Bucky is Cap and oh wait now it's a year later and YOU KEEP CHANGING THE STATUS QUO ON ME" which is kind of how working in a superhero universe is.

3) Heinburg went to Disney.Disney bought Marvel in summer 2009, and Children's Crusade eventually came out in 2010. I suppose it's entirely possible that Heinberg heard about this $4B business deal and then called Disney and went "It's me, a writer for Grey's Anatomy! I want you to intercede on my behalf against your new acquisition's top writer. He's interfering! How you ask? Well, he had Hawkeye stop being Ronin for one! Hello?"

4) Disney said stop that."Hello, Mr Bendis? Yes, this is Michael Iger. I'm told you have been harassing a co-worker about how he's years behind on a project, and that he's rewriting scenes so that Ronin -- yes, I hear he's Hawkeye again, true -- hosed a Doombot. This is the sort of thing we care about deeply at Disney, to the point that we definitely take the side of the guy who's taking two years to finish a comic he already delayed for four years, not the person we're using as a consultant for our films. So you play nice little man, or else... I don't know, we'll make you write two X-Men books for a few years![/b]

5) Heinburg wrote CC and left marvel in disgust because of Bendis interference.
He hasn't written any comics for Marvel lately. He also hasn't written any comics for anyone lately. He didn't write many comics for them when he was a comic book writer. This isn't a knock on him, I'm sure TV pays a lot more than comics. But I don't think you have to come up with a dark conspiracy theory about why a guy who never had time to write comic scripts doesn't write comic scripts anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not gonna lie, I really want to imagine high-level Disney meetings where they discuss if Hawkeye hosed a Doombot.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Edge & Christian posted:

So you play nice little man, or else... I don't know, we'll make you write two X-Men books for a few years!

To be fair this is a pretty hosed-up threat.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

Let's review these assertions.

1) Heinburg wanted to write Wanda's return in Children's Crusade.

Allan Heinberg's first run of Young Avengers came out in 2005-2006. This was more or less concurrent to House of M, so it's obviously not talking about that return, but I guess her return after House of M.

There was talk of a "season 2" of Young Avengers almost immediately after the first year ended. They put off having anyone else do an Young Avengers ongoing.
Editors talked about getting scripts for the book in 2008, then it was going to come out in 2009.

Finally , the first issue shipped in the summer of 2010, nearly four years after Heinberg's first run on the book ended. I have no reason to not believe that he wanted to write Wanda's return, he said so himself five years later when he got around to doing it.

2). Bendis kept interfering in his book.Bendis was writing the mainline Avengers book in 2005 when Heinberg launched YA. He was also writing the book in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 when Heinberg was taking his sweet time getting to "Wanda's return". He was often writing two Avengers books a month during that time, and was participating in/writing Civil War, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, and Siege.

All while Heinberg worked on his twelve issue series to cover "Wanda's return". From what I can recall of preview pages/interviews, the interference was basically "hey I'm writing this issue and Thor isn't back and Bucky is Cap and oh wait now it's a year later and YOU KEEP CHANGING THE STATUS QUO ON ME" which is kind of how working in a superhero universe is.

3) Heinburg went to Disney.Disney bought Marvel in summer 2009, and Children's Crusade eventually came out in 2010. I suppose it's entirely possible that Heinberg heard about this $4B business deal and then called Disney and went "It's me, a writer for Grey's Anatomy! I want you to intercede on my behalf against your new acquisition's top writer. He's interfering! How you ask? Well, he had Hawkeye stop being Ronin for one! Hello?"

4) Disney said stop that."Hello, Mr Bendis? Yes, this is Michael Iger. I'm told you have been harassing a co-worker about how he's years behind on a project, and that he's rewriting scenes so that Ronin -- yes, I hear he's Hawkeye again, true -- hosed a Doombot. This is the sort of thing we care about deeply at Disney, to the point that we definitely take the side of the guy who's taking two years to finish a comic he already delayed for four years, not the person we're using as a consultant for our films. So you play nice little man, or else... I don't know, we'll make you write two X-Men books for a few years![/b]

5) Heinburg wrote CC and left marvel in disgust because of Bendis interference.
He hasn't written any comics for Marvel lately. He also hasn't written any comics for anyone lately. He didn't write many comics for them when he was a comic book writer. This isn't a knock on him, I'm sure TV pays a lot more than comics. But I don't think you have to come up with a dark conspiracy theory about why a guy who never had time to write comic scripts doesn't write comic scripts anymore.

Fair enough. It didn't sound very plausible to me but I know gently caress all about how comics actually work. I just like pretty pictures and words.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It doesn't take much thought process beyond "Does a work-for-hire writer have access to Disney execs? If he somehow does, are said Disney execs going to care that his work is being interfered with by another work-for-hire writer who is pretty much the main guide for everything else being published and is also a story consultant for their billion-dollar movie franchise?"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If someone did try to block Children's Crusade from happening they should be hailed as a hero.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Toxxupation posted:

This also clears up an issue since Loki in Mighty Thor is, like, wanted for trying to assassinate the All-Mother and it's confusing why Thor wouldn't try to track him down for that.

That theory is contradicted in Mighty Thor itself. In some panel she's just standing there, looking angry at his political speech.
And of course she would be aware of this stuff she lives on earth and that is basically the top news story.

Maybe since he hasn't committed any recent crimes on Midgard and she can't just go out and attack him because that would technically be a political assault and might only make him more famous.

It's really not that difficult to track Loki down at this point, but Thor is out of her jurisdiction and the Asgardians can't be bothered to leave their little god dimension.

I actually like this book a lot. Loki just goes with the flow and is basically untouchable. And I hope everyone is so preoccupied with their minority reports that they wont bother top stop him. I want president Loki as the new status quo. And I can't wait till he wants to build a wall around space, to keep the illegal aliens out.

...are Svašilfari and Hrimthurs a thing in the Marvel Universe?
EDIT: Apparently they are.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 7, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what was the deal with cap being a nazi, did that resolve itself

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Calaveron posted:

So what was the deal with cap being a nazi, did that resolve itself

It was exactly what everyone who wasn't screaming about it on Tumblr predicted: Red Skull fuckery. They're dealing with it in the current story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only time I've ever heard of a writer interfering with another's plots was when Dan Slott was playing continuity cop and Brian Reed lost his poo poo over it.

• Locked thread