Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Been to season before which was excellent and we go to bar esteban all the time but will have a look at those other recommendations. thanks chums!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Been to Kua' Aina yesterday, had a cheeseburger with fried egg on top, a drat tasty burger. The sweet potato fries were tasty, but too thin and too few. Still a good eat.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Bodean's Soho for lunch today, am dodging carbs where I can so had the big buffalo wings. Didn't want to be completely sideless so also had onion rings, but could have done without. The wings were really tasty and tender, the onion rings were pretty doughy, if numerous.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BizarroAzrael posted:

Bodean's Soho for lunch today, am dodging carbs where I can so had the big buffalo wings. Didn't want to be completely sideless so also had onion rings, but could have done without. The wings were really tasty and tender, the onion rings were pretty doughy, if numerous.

:hfive: carb-dodging buddy! I use the somewhat slim excuse that breading isn't that big of an evil, and that 'at least it's not fries/rice/noodles'.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I care about my health, so I'm going to eat at ...Bodeans???

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If you're doing a carb-free diet, Bodean's is perfect. All the meat you want, just don't have fries.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

But it's just such crap!

Plus all their sauces are sugartastic. And sugar is obviously carbs

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Nvm, have redirected to soho

tarbrush fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 11, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I need a good sushi spot for a date, anyone? (Yes I know it's high carb!) Whilst we're at it, had great ricotta pancakes for brunch at Granger and Co in Notting Hill, good coffee too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I need a good sushi spot for a date, anyone? (Yes I know it's high carb!) Whilst we're at it, had great ricotta pancakes for brunch at Granger and Co in Notting Hill, good coffee too.

Eat Tokyo on Old Compton Street, or Sushi Hiroba on Kingsway. I keep wanting to try Murakami on St Martins Lane too.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Any goons been to Caravan in King's Cross for dinner? I've booked, but the sheer amount of reviews saying the service is poo poo is putting me off.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
So I went to Caravan last night and the food was pretty good. Really enjoyed the crispy pork belly and beef carpaccio small plates, the service was good, the only weak point was my pavlova- I think the addition of sorrel ruined it. Sort of pricey for what you get but I'd probably go again and definitely want to go back for the brunch.

Next up: Rok Islington

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Where to take a pescitarian for a special meal? He's not crazy about oysters, and J Sheekey's is a little out of my price range (plus not exactly young and hip).

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Where to take a pescitarian for a special meal? He's not crazy about oysters, and J Sheekey's is a little out of my price range (plus not exactly young and hip).
I think it's Hawksmoor air street that does fish, and the decor could make a divorce feel special. But prices may be closer to J Sheekys.

I've also heard good things about a seafood place in Kings arcade(? The indoor/outdoor multi level arcade next to Carnaby street). But can't remember the name, and never actually been.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Horse Clocks posted:

I think it's Hawksmoor air street that does fish, and the decor could make a divorce feel special. But prices may be closer to J Sheekys.

I've also heard good things about a seafood place in Kings arcade(? The indoor/outdoor multi level arcade next to Carnaby street). But can't remember the name, and never actually been.

Kingly Court, there's a few good places there.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

If you're doing a carb-free diet, Bodean's is perfect. All the meat you want, just don't have fries.

We went there and my (Southern, American) wife was not keen. She got the pulled pork and said that for slow cooking for 12 hours it had no flavour :ohdear:

(I quite like the fries, though!)

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
There was supposed to be a really excellent sushi restaurant somewhere near Euston and I cannot now find it... (Not Mai). I have a sad feeling I may be thinking of the closed Sushi of Shiori. Does anyone know what it's called?

Edit: It was Sushi Tetsu! However, the minimum £50pp is a bit jarring. I saw this at Ikeda too and got a bit pissed off. Particularly if you're going to for lunch it seems like you have to go for the uni sashimi to reach it :/

It's for a tenth anniversary so I am looking for somewhere quite formal and traditional, for kaiseki or sushi if anyone has other recommendations.

Basically anywhere where you do not get fried sushi or that pathetic salad with Kewpie dressing.

Rolled Cabbage fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 3, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

feedmegin posted:

We went there and my (Southern, American) wife was not keen. She got the pulled pork and said that for slow cooking for 12 hours it had no flavour :ohdear:

(I quite like the fries, though!)

There's Red Dog Salon if you'd like an alternative? Loved the brisket, and my mate raved about their pulled pork.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Texas Joe is opening his gaff in Bermondsey too. His brisket is good.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
By the end of 2018 brisket, pulled pork and chicken wings will be the only dishes left on restaurant menus in London.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

peanut- posted:

By the end of 2018 brisket, pulled pork and chicken wings will be the only dishes left on restaurant menus in London.

One day soon we will be unable to obtain meat that hasn't been pulled. Probably served in a jar in a shoe on a chopping board.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

peanut- posted:

These trends will always come and go, and a few of the good ones will stay. I think we're over the burger craze now, thank God. Also can the mac 'n' cheese as a side thing please end?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

One day soon we will be unable to obtain meat that hasn't been pulled. Probably served in a jar in a shoe on a chopping board.

Can I eat it with a comb?

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I suppose the other one gathering momentum is good fried chicken like chicken sours

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

captain poopfister posted:

I suppose the other one gathering momentum is good fried chicken like chicken sours
The popularity of that lead to this amazing Guardian article on working class teenagers trying posh fried chicken.

sweek0 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 4, 2016

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I had the idea years ago to do high-end fried chicken with properly-reared chickens. Seemed like bad karma though.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Sorting out a birthday for a friend about about 6 other people. East asian was on the brief, been recommended champor champor, anyone been? Prices look ok and the pictures look great.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My partner and I went to Champor Champor for a Valentine's/birthday meal this year and I had some severely delicious pork. My partner had the steak for his main and thought it was nice but not amazing. We both had the duck satay for a starter and thought it was fantastic. Overall we felt that certain aspects of the meal were outstanding, others were fine but not super special. The surroundings were quite pleasant and the service was good - attentive without being fussy. I'd definitely call it East Asian-European fusion rather than straight-up East Asian, though.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Went to Rok in Islington last night with a friend and the food was excellent! I had pork with smoked apple which was delicious but the stars were the sides- Swedish potato gratin with anchovy was out of this world and charred cabbage with cheese and nori rice sounded pretty gross but was delicious. Pickles and peach dessert deserve a mention too. We were sat at the back near the kitchen and it was very warm (only skylight windows) so on a hotter day it'd be pretty uncomfortable.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Went to Rok in Islington last night with a friend and the food was excellent! I had pork with smoked apple which was delicious but the stars were the sides- Swedish potato gratin with anchovy was out of this world and charred cabbage with cheese and nori rice sounded pretty gross but was delicious. Pickles and peach dessert deserve a mention too. We were sat at the back near the kitchen and it was very warm (only skylight windows) so on a hotter day it'd be pretty uncomfortable.

The gratin you ate is called 'Janssons frestelse', translated to 'Jansson's temptation'. My granddad made one with so much anchovies it was unedible. It's sometimes eaten as a main as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Tried Patty & Bun today, wanted a low carb lunch so had it wrapped in lettuce, which was a bit messy, but the filling was good! Also had the coleslaw, which was limp and flavourless, utterly awful.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

We're in London later this month for two days and would like to try the traditional English cuisine, Indian. Hope you can confirm my findings or recommend something similar. My idea was "high end Indian" but perhaps our budget is more "mid-end".

Option A: Lotus http://www.lotus.london/

Option B: Cafe Spice Namaste http://www.cafespice.co.uk/

A gets a point for location, B gets a point for the name. Are they good? Anything similar you would recommend?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ola posted:

We're in London later this month for two days and would like to try the traditional English cuisine, Indian. Hope you can confirm my findings or recommend something similar. My idea was "high end Indian" but perhaps our budget is more "mid-end".

Option A: Lotus http://www.lotus.london/

Option B: Cafe Spice Namaste http://www.cafespice.co.uk/

A gets a point for location, B gets a point for the name. Are they good? Anything similar you would recommend?

I don't know those but I've eaten twice at Cinnamon Soho, which has been excellent. It's the more casual offshoot of the refined and rated Cinnamon Club. Dishoom is also pretty drat good.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Honestly just go to Tayyabs. It's so well known that people get sniffy about it and pretend they know somewhere that does massively superior mixed grill, but they're incorrect. Get some beers, go to Tayyabs and order all of the meat and loads of naan, pay about £10 total and die happy.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Went here on Friday and it was one of my favourite meals I've had in London for a long time. Excellent food and a really friendly atmosphere, they've recruited the staff very well.

You're right about it being bloody hot in the back though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

peanut- posted:

Honestly just go to Tayyabs. It's so well known that people get sniffy about it and pretend they know somewhere that does massively superior mixed grill, but they're incorrect. Get some beers, go to Tayyabs and order all of the meat and loads of naan, pay about £10 total and die happy.

Make sure you book, though, unless you want to be stuck queuing shoulder to shoulder for two hours.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks for the tips, we'll go for Tayyabs!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Went to Steam & Rye tonight for their unlimited ribs and shrimp night. Not bad at all. They don't really advertise the fact that it's ribs or shrimp, not both. Easily solved by going as a pair and choosing an option each and sharing, which we did.

Caught some happy hour too, with half price cocktails, which aren't really like any others around. The happy hour ones must be all on half measures, because I'd feel remarkably loathe to pay full price for some of those.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
The girlfriend and I are going to be in London in a couple of weeks, staying just south of Tate Modern for four nights. Since I live in the LA area, I have great access to all sorts of Asian and Southern American food and we're going to Paris for the second leg of the trip, so I guess I'm looking for suggestions:

- Sunday roast or a real good full English breakfast
- Good Indian food
- A good pub where we can get some cask ale

Area doesn't really matter, we'll go far for good food. Prefer to not go to the more touristy spots, for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Not that many pubs/restaurants do roasts really well. If you don't mind spending a bit there's a restaurant called Roast (obviously) very close to where you're staying that does an excellent job. It'll run you £50-60 a head all in though.

If you want more of a pub atmosphere and are willing to travel a bit you could go to The Bull & Last in Kentish Town which is superb. Kentish Town also has a lot of other decent ale pubs you can do a tour of - The Southampton Arms, The Pineapple, Tapping the Admiral, The Grafton, Camden Town Brewery.