Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

sellouts posted:

Is the router 802.11ac?

Wire as many things as possible. The less wireless, the better.

Yeah, the router is 802.11ac (ASUS RT-AC3100).

Right now, the only thing that is wired is the Apple TV. Unfortunately, I can't wire my desktop in due to the fact that I've had to move my office upstairs to be able to take care of the baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Can you put the modem and the router where your desktop is? It is best if you can get the server on wired and then have your players wireless. That is how I do it and it has worked out fine. Watch 1080p rips over wifi with my server plugged into the router directly.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Burden posted:

Can you put the modem and the router where your desktop is? It is best if you can get the server on wired and then have your players wireless. That is how I do it and it has worked out fine. Watch 1080p rips over wifi with my server plugged into the router directly.

Unfortunately no. There's no coax line to where I had to move my gaming rig to. Although I'm wondering if I cam just pay someone to do some coax wiring for me to make baby life easier.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

sleepness posted:

Right now, the only thing that is wired is the Apple TV.

Is this the new 2015 model? Because that's one of the very WORST things to have wired. The wireless chip in that thing supports 802.11ac but the ethernet jack isn't even gigabit because Apple wanted to save fractions of pennies on each one made.

I have almost everything in my house as wired as possible, but have the Apple TV hooked up wirelessly to an N router immediately behind it.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

sleepness posted:

Unfortunately no. There's no coax line to where I had to move my gaming rig to. Although I'm wondering if I cam just pay someone to do some coax wiring for me to make baby life easier.

Depending on cost to run coax you could build a media server to store your files that plugs into your router. I use an Intel NUC and it works perfect.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Is this the new 2015 model? Because that's one of the very WORST things to have wired. The wireless chip in that thing supports 802.11ac but the ethernet jack isn't even gigabit because Apple wanted to save fractions of pennies on each one made.

I have almost everything in my house as wired as possible, but have the Apple TV hooked up wirelessly to an N router immediately behind it.

Oh boo. I guess ill remove it.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Burden posted:

Depending on cost to run coax you could build a media server to store your files that plugs into your router. I use an Intel NUC and it works perfect.

Yeah I was actually looking at those earlier. They seem really cool, but it seems to be a bit overkill as it will probably run around 300 for the system and ram/HD. I'm guessing a coax run won't run nearly that much but if so, ill go with the NIC.

Do you think id notice drastic improvements with it hard wired however? The difference on speed test is 130 wired vs 120 wireless

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

... but the ethernet jack isn't even gigabit because Apple wanted to save fractions of pennies on each one made.
I don't think that would matter in the slightest for (single stream) video playback. I'd choose wired 100Mb for consistency over even wireless ac given the choice in most cases (eg your router being next to the device)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 5, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Same, unless I was getting issues and could prove it was down to that.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
How about home plugs? You know the things you plug your Ethernet into a normal electrical outlet somewhere in the house and another one elsewhere to connect the Ethernet? I don't know what the throughput is like.

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Welp, it looks like Comcast only charges 30 dollars to install an extra jack so my woes are fixed!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I feel like adding some new plugins. I know I can just go look around but what do other goons use? It's more of a curiosity than needing recommendations.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Alright I bought a Shield to try out PMS. I'm coming from a LibreElec Kodi box with a lot of media. How do I make plex scrape my media correctly? All my TV Shows are lacking episodes or seasons. No such problem with Kodi.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Is it still scanning? The initial scan takes awhile. Respect scene naming conventions for your media. Don't dump your stuff into one big folder if you're doing that, have separate folders for TV and movies. I've always used Name (Year) and never had an issue with scraping on anything. Make sure your seasons are nested properly under the show directory.

How to name/organize stuff on Plex.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Is it still scanning? The initial scan takes awhile. Respect scene naming conventions for your media. Don't dump your stuff into one big folder if you're doing that, have separate folders for TV and movies. I've always used Name (Year) and never had an issue with scraping on anything. Make sure your seasons are nested properly under the show directory.

[/quote

[quote="The Gunslinger" post="461777874"]

I'm not dumping it all in one folder, it's pretty well managed and the fact that kodi has never had any issues scraping and Plex fails has already soured me a bit. Don't really want to rename all my current and future media to very specific Plex naming schemes. Are there other ways to scrape media with Plex?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The naming scheme for Plex seems pretty identical to Kodi?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

snuff posted:

I'm not dumping it all in one folder, it's pretty well managed and the fact that kodi has never had any issues scraping and Plex fails has already soured me a bit. Don't really want to rename all my current and future media to very specific Plex naming schemes. Are there other ways to scrape media with Plex?

How are your TV show files named, and what is the folder hierarchy like?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

snuff posted:

Alright I bought a Shield to try out PMS. I'm coming from a LibreElec Kodi box with a lot of media. How do I make plex scrape my media correctly? All my TV Shows are lacking episodes or seasons. No such problem with Kodi.

I hope you got the 500gb version.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

teagone posted:

How are your TV show files named, and what is the folder hierarchy like?

Show name -> Season 1-> S01E01 etc. the weird thing is it's finding some episodes so typically I have a season with 2 episodes. My complete The Wire collection is just S01E03 right now lol. I guess I will have to try renaming stuff and play around a little, I was just hoping for apple-esque "It just works" from all the praise it gets.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, totally just works for me 99% of the time, seems really weird. Is it a Shield issue? Have you checked their forums?

Can you post the filename of the episodes around the ones that are matched?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

snuff posted:

The Plex naming stuff is pretty much the same as Kodi. It sounds like its not seeing the files or something. I would check the log files and find out what is going on. If all of your files follow the same convention then there shouldn't be a problem.

Where is your media stored? On a NAS?

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

The Plex naming stuff is pretty much the same as Kodi. It sounds like its not seeing the files or something. I would check the log files and find out what is going on. If all of your files follow the same convention then there shouldn't be a problem.

Where is your media stored? On a NAS?

I've fiddled a bit and I now know what the problem is. When I access the media (an external USB drive connected to the SHIELD) on my PC I can see all my correctly named media on the disk, but the large movie files show up as 0 KB files. If i then open the file and afterwards right click properties the file size shows up correctly and is found in PMS.

So now I know what the problem is, somehow my files are not recognized, anyone have a solution?

snuff fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 6, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's a brand new system. Post it on their forums and help others.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
The only time I've seen that happen is a damaged drive. Grab any other USB drive, put some files on it and see if the same issue persists.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My TV show folder is just a pile of unorganized episodes named the way THE SCENE named them and Plex only has trouble scraping Wrecked, which apparently shares its title with a 2008 trucking reality show.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

The only time I've seen that happen is a damaged drive. Grab any other USB drive, put some files on it and see if the same issue persists.

I tried with a 32GB USB stick and some random show it wouldn't recognize before and it worked without a hitch, tried setting up the 2TB external HDD to to my PC with PMS and it recognized everything (just like Kodi did on the Shield) so it's probably some weird PMS android large HDD bug.

It doesn't really matter any way since I've learned that the Shield does not support writing to external USB drives over network rendering the whole feature utterly meaningless. Now I have to decide if I want to return it or finally give in and get a NAS for my media.

So far not been very impressed with the Shield.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's an Android box, they don't do everything Windows does natively. You can buy a cheap NAS enclosure, a real NAS or just return it I guess. My router has USB ports for mounting an external as network attached storage but no idea if thats possible for you. For what its worth I think its pretty great once you get it setup with a NAS but I guess to each his own. Anyways mystery solved.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

It's an Android box, they don't do everything Windows does natively. You can buy a cheap NAS enclosure, a real NAS or just return it I guess. My router has USB ports for mounting an external as network attached storage but no idea if thats possible for you. For what its worth I think its pretty great once you get it setup with a NAS but I guess to each his own. Anyways mystery solved.

Thanks for your help, I did try my routers USB port actually but it's just some cheap ISP router and it made it's CPU spike to 100% and transfer speeds were in the low MB/s so not a good solution. I will get a NAS I think, I still haven't even tried game streaming from my pc or all the other stuff it can do.

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Running into a weird issue with my server (plexpass latest, running on mac):

It is no longer saving my watched history/watched progress. I don't think it is a permissions issue, because I can manually change the watched/unwatched flag, but it doesn't happen automatically. A minor issue, but pretty frustrating.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Not That Into You posted:

It is no longer saving my watched history/watched progress. I don't think it is a permissions issue, because I can manually change the watched/unwatched flag, but it doesn't happen automatically. A minor issue, but pretty frustrating.

When this happened to me (also on Mac) I had to uninstall/reinstall and then go through and mark things watched for any shows about which I might get confused.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Not That Into You posted:

What client are you using? If It's Mac Plex Home Theater, try the newer Media Player.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Are there any tools that allow you to automatically clean out your plex movies/shows? Something like deleting 7 days after viewing, or deleting 30 days if no one has watched it etc. :google: showed me a bunch of python scripts that people made, is that the only option here?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
How is the Fire TV Stick as a Plex client? Can it Direct Play x264 1080 mkvs? I've seen some people having issues with DTS audio but they're old posts and it won't be using surround sound anyway. Thinking of getting one for my parents f
to replace the lovely Sumvision Cyclone 4 they have since its on sale for Prime Day.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

How is the Fire TV Stick as a Plex client? Can it Direct Play x264 1080 mkvs? I've seen some people having issues with DTS audio but they're old posts and it won't be using surround sound anyway. Thinking of getting one for my parents f
to replace the lovely Sumvision Cyclone 4 they have since its on sale for Prime Day.

I used it for a bit and it wasn't bad but not great. Seeking was near impossible and it crashed a few times. Apple TV is much better but what 4x the cost ?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Alright. I just noticed there is an OpenPHT image for the ODroid C2 so I might give that a try instead. It's cheaper than the Fire TV box and does 4k and x265.

Too bad all these devices will probably be redundant soon when every 4k HDR Smart TV can decode x265 mkvs and has a built in Plex app

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Built in Plex apps are usually garbage though.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
IMO the appleTV4 plex is the best , followed by Rasplex. If you just want a great plex interface, and don't care about the apple eco system or having other streaming apps in the same box, get a RPi and install Rasplex. It's snappy, easy to use, and can be done for under $50. (RPi + IR remote)

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
We use a Roku 3, PS3, and an HTPC (they all rhyme!) for Plex. They've all got their pros/cons, but without a doubt the Roku is the easiest interface to work with in my opinion. The HTPC and PS3 look nicer, but my wife or guests never ever have to ask how to do anything on the Roku and that is worth its weight in gold 10x over.

There's a hidden menu in the Roku that lets you turn off some setting that amounts to "get a reply back from the internet before you connect" for Plex, because otherwise when the internet is down it may not let Plex access my local content (rarplex or whatever it's named, drawing a blank, worked fine though). Other than that Plex is a total pleasure on the Roku. It worked perfectly on 802.11g and now that I've finallllly replaced my router that supports N it's just that much better.

Here's how: http://www.letstalk-tech.com/roku-error-014-connect-roku-3-wi-fi-network/

The button combo you enter in to access the menu is so weird I thought I was being trolled, but nope up the menu came.

-- And since I hate following weird links too, here's a pic:

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 12, 2016

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

The one on my sister's Samsung TV looks alright, its just a bit slow. If they start putting better CPUs in Smart TVs I don't see why they couldn't replace them

Cornjob posted:

IMO the appleTV4 plex is the best , followed by Rasplex. If you just want a great plex interface, and don't care about the apple eco system or having other streaming apps in the same box, get a RPi and install Rasplex. It's snappy, easy to use, and can be done for under $50. (RPi + IR remote)

The OpenPHT running on an O-Droid C2 is basically the same as Rasplex. It's essentially the same as an RPi3 but it also does x265 and 4k for the price more or less. I've already got an RPi2 running OpenElec, not ready to blow that away to move over to Plex completely. I just think Plex would be easier for my parents to use and less maintenance from me than using Kodi.

I might pick up a Fire Stick and give it a try anyway. If its worse than the poo poo they've got now I'll just return it and wait until I can be bothered to commit to an O-Droid. Not got a 4k TV yet, waiting until there is a decent OLED 4k HDR one before I make the jump and thats probably going to be a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

The interface is alright for small collections but really sucks for anything moderate or larger. I find Kodi with the PlexKodiConnect addon is the best of both worlds. It gives me access to a large number of views with a ton of customization. In the regular Plex apps for Android TV or Roku I spend too much time trying to find things or get to specific content.