Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
puwexil is the only speedrunner I've found that can make watching speedruns of RPGs tolerable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvidAcid
May 30, 2004

oh christ
The character art for Shadow is particularly horrible

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Eonwe posted:

puwexil is the only speedrunner I've found that can make watching speedruns of RPGs tolerable

Puwexil and Essentia are why I watch the finale JRPG runs every time.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i missed jax and dak but reading threw the thread/twitter links had me laffin'

guess i'll get on that hype plane later

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what happened with jax and dak

i missed it

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Eonwe posted:

i missed it

An awesome trainwreck happened. I guess the short version would be "Bonesaw was tired".

Can't really explain it more than that. It was everything and nothing like a perfect speedrun should be.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I'm still so happy I ended up taking a series of naps that culminated in me waking up just in time for that run.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Eonwe posted:

i missed it

you know when you're very tired and you get sleepy-drunk, and then someone says/does something and you lose your poo poo and you can never really recover it

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Eonwe posted:

i missed it

dues ex was run of the marathon and then immediately topped by jax and dak

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Azazell0 posted:

An awesome trainwreck happened. I guess the short version would be "Bonesaw was tired".

Can't really explain it more than that. It was everything and nothing like a perfect speedrun should be.

I love runs like that, will definitely watch

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

you know when you're very tired and you get sleepy-drunk, and then someone says/does something and you lose your poo poo and you can never really recover it

yes, and that sounds awesome

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gamerofthegame posted:

hell yea, was bummed about missing deus ex

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gamerofthegame posted:

Nothing tops that Deus Ex run. :colbert:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh yeah, Deus Ex was awesome in a non-trainwreck way, definitely a must see as well.

This afternoon has been really solid too, I recommend Rygar and the Zelda II races to watch.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
they should just make save/kill a bonus vote at future events imo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's really not funny any more.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Azazell0 posted:

Oh yeah, Deus Ex was awesome in a non-trainwreck way, definitely a must see as well.

This afternoon has been really solid too, I recommend Rygar and the Zelda II races to watch.

Deus Ex was loving hilarious and had some of the best commentary I've heard in quite a while. Just some German teen making bad jokes and belting out the occasional, "Oh, goddamn you!" while doing an impressively smooth run.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
No Jak and Daxter highlight reel yet? Up your game, Internet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Majuju posted:

agreed, I hate that there are incentives that struggle when there is a bunch of save/kill donating

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

RickVoid posted:

No Jak and Daxter highlight reel yet? Up your game, Internet.

The vod of the whole run will be up soon enough.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention that it's pretty awkward for a charity event to have a bunch of nerds constant chant "KILL THE ANIMALS". :whitewater:

At this point it has basically become tradition, and they rake in so much money over it because the internet loves its memes that I just can't imagine they'll stop doing it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Did... Did they just cook and eat their pet pig on this game?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

raditts posted:

Did... Did they just cook and eat their pet pig on this game?

Quintet, if nothing else, was never afraid of making their games pretty drat dark for a children's action RPG.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Your Computer posted:

Not to mention that it's pretty awkward for a charity event to have a bunch of nerds constant chant "KILL THE ANIMALS". :whitewater:

At this point it has basically become tradition, and they rake in so much money over it because the internet loves its memes that I just can't imagine they'll stop doing it.

megagreetings from germany. put this donation to kick the animals in the butt and kill the cancer! HOOOIPPPE. excited about the megaman block. my mom had megacancer 3 times, so i know how hard it can be. whats the difference between a snow man and a snow woman? snow balls. good luck to the runner.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
We were specifically zapping "kill cancer" donation comments since it pulls away from the actual and much better charity for this marathon.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Changing it from save/kill the animals to save the animals/save the frames would work too.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vermain posted:

Quintet, if nothing else, was never afraid of making their games pretty drat dark for a children's action RPG.

For example, actually, since Wikipedia reminded me of it:

quote:

In keeping with Nintendo of America's censorship policies at the time of publication, numerous changes were made to the game to make certain story elements less dark. Most notably, the native tribe encountered near Angkor Wat were originally cannibals, with the skeletal remains lying around the village being the remnants of their own tribesmen, whom they had eaten to survive.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Majuju posted:

or it should be first option to hit X number of dollars

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Reason posted:

or it should be first option to hit X number of dollars

Except that self-limits the number of dollars going in. The casual viewer doesn't really care about various donation incentives unless it's a game they're familiar with. But a simple binary choice with large numbers behind them? Easier then to follow the crowd and make a donation.

You could make it so all donations go towards that final choice of the marathon instead and the viewer can allocate the same value to incentives.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

apostateCourier posted:

The vod of the whole run will be up soon enough.

The archived block is already on the GDQ Twitch page, Jak & Daxter is right at the beginning

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/76689322

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
my power was out all of yeasterday, did i miss anything that's must-see

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

The Excellent Adventures of Jak and Daxter.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ramos posted:

The Excellent Adventures of Jak and Daxter.

+Deus Ex

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Illusion of Gaia is fine and I do like the third game, Terraignma, but man I prefer the original game, Soul Blazer a lot more. Don't think that has ever been run on GDQ.

Also love how the two kids having a chat while standing on the burning corpse of the bounty hunter.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Jak and Daxter was a must see

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What awful great puns!

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Rirse posted:

Illusion of Gaia is fine and I do like the third game, Terraignma, but man I prefer the original game, Soul Blazer a lot more. Don't think that has ever been run on GDQ.

Also love how the two kids having a chat while standing on the burning corpse of the bounty hunter.

Was gonna say they ran it the other day, but that was Skyblazer.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vermain posted:

I remember my brother renting this game when we were kids and I never played it because it looked kinda lovely. It still kinda does, but now I want to play it just to experience this batshit story.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lord Chumley posted:

Was gonna say they ran it the other day, but that was Skyblazer.

When I was a kid, I thought Skyblazer was a sequel to Soulblazer instead of Illusion of Gaia. Never actually played it back then through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Will's Exposition Ghost Dad

• Locked thread