Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

blue squares posted:

Your avatar is triggering me. Quorn gave me the most intense food poisoning of my life. loving fungus food

Im sorry but as you might have already guessed, this av was given to me so I cant claim responsibility for it triggering you. I hope you understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Burning Rain posted:

the guy dissing it for weeks without actually reading the ('barely novel' length) book sure was something else.

Speaking of being triggered this dude got crazy under my skin.

And he's still going!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of being triggered this dude got crazy under my skin.

And he's still going!
get him in here imo, his posts are literature

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I would love to see that dude and some of the more conservative posters in this thread duke it out

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I refuse to believe that a real person would wade into a thread about minimalist contemporary Korean feminist literature and explain that he didn't read it and we should be talking about the real modern classic that is the nine-volume fantasy rape epic Prince of Nothing instead, it's too perfect

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I refuse to believe that a real person would wade into a thread about minimalist contemporary Korean feminist literature and explain that he didn't read it and we should be talking about the real modern classic that is the nine-volume fantasy rape epic Prince of Nothing instead, it's too perfect

I do love how he really wants to get into a fight about fantasy being better than literature and no one is actually interested in having it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Don't forget his bitching that the third of the book that he admits to reading had trite themes on feminism and were unrealistic and benign, unlike the "epic tome with human bones" that is Malazan, because Fantasy is the best ever and here's some fantasy authors quoting themselves as their references.

I never really understood why he assumed a series of 800-page books is considered more substantial than a 200 page book. If a book can convey it's story and message in 200 pages, why is that a problem?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I do love how he really wants to get into a fight about fantasy being better than literature and no one is actually interested in having it.
that's my favourite part, it's just this bizarre tangent that spun out of... nothing in particular except this weird rage at people reading books that aren't fantasy? I guess it's the same thing that inspires people to wander into this thread once or twice a month crying because the title hurt their feelings?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

Don't forget his bitching that the third of the book that he admits to reading had trite themes on feminism and were unrealistic and benign, unlike the "epic tome with human bones" that is Malazan, because Fantasy is the best ever and here's some fantasy authors quoting themselves as their references.

I never really understood why he assumed a series of 800-page books is considered more substantial than a 200 page book. If a book can convey it's story and message in 200 pages, why is that a problem?

Some people are just very concerned about the dimensions of certain things

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

unlike the "epic tome with human bones"

I am glad other people noticed that he would say these insanely grandiose loving statements like he was auditioning for a pull quote

I was also kind of surprised to discover that apparently every white male middle aged fantasy author has a blog about how unappreciated their genius is

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 7, 2016

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Are you really that surprised?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

R Scott Bakker's blog is the best bc if you go far enough back you find like five posts over the space of a few years where he periodically cries and rages impotently because one no-name feminist blogger once wrote a mean thing about him years before (see my linked post as to why that might have been!), and how as a result the misandrist thought police has ruined his book sales and livelihood. I think he still posts about it sometimes

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Have you ever talked to Fantasy writers?

"I did three hours of world building yesterday. Pretty gratifying. Some awesome stuff in the works."
"How much did you write?"
"Oh I've got pages and pages of notes and sketches and drawings of the characters and maps."
"But how much of the story did you write?"
"???"

Not to bust anyone about their craft, and I'm not trying to imply all Fantasy writers are like this, but this has been most of my interactions with them, published and unpublished.

Fantasy writers and Film Students: most of them can go gently caress right off.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

R Scott Bakker's blog is the best bc if you go far enough back you find like five posts over the space of a few years where he periodically cries and rages impotently because one no-name feminist blogger once wrote a mean thing about him years before (see my linked post as to why that might have been!), and how as a result the misandrist thought police has ruined his book sales and livelihood. I think he still posts about it sometimes

lol was he one of those Sad/Rabid Puppies idiots from a few years ago?

corn in the fridge posted:

Are you really that surprised?

Honestly, yeah. If you are writing something that brings you joy and you can make a living at it, just be happy about it. If you do not care about sales and want PRESTIGE then write a prestigious book and give a shot. These guys seem to want to be held in the esteem of the great authors of the modern age while consciously marketing themselves as pulp fluff.

Don't write 10,000 pages about Evil Wizards who represent Leprosy and then complain you are not held in the same esteem as Faulkner.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lol was he one of those Sad/Rabid Puppies idiots from a few years ago?

nah, this was before that and he's not actively a dick, more of the nobody-appreciates-my-genius woe-is-me sadbrained types. Still really funny though

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I'm kind of shocked he listed Vollmann's The Dying Grass as one of his favorites, because that is a legitimately great book.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Popular Human posted:

I'm kind of shocked he listed Vollmann's The Dying Grass as one of his favorites, because that is a legitimately great book.

I am honestly not sure if he read it. I genuinely think he googled "big loving books" and just listed what came up.

Then again, Vollman is all of the tropes of a fantasy author in literature form so who knows

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I wonder if fantasy writers read anything other than fantasy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

corn in the fridge posted:

I wonder if fantasy writers read anything other than fantasy

I read that really bad Donaldson article talking about how his work relates to "Great Authors" and I noticed every example was a writer who was popular during or came before the exact time he was an undergrad in college.

The fact his knowledge of contemporary literature stops exactly at the time he turned 22 was really telling

EDIT: seriously look at this goddamn tripe masquerading as literary analysis http://www.nyrsf.com/2015/03/fantasy-is-the-most-intelligent-precise-and-accurate-means-of-arriving-at-the-truth-s-p.html

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 7, 2016

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The stupid thing about the genre label is that it lumps together these idiots and the likes of Ursula le Guin

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
A Confederacy of Dunces is a delightful mix of Don Quixote, Tristram Shandy, At Swim-Two-Birds, and if I really wanted to raise some people's hackles, Ulysses dropped in New Orleans and stirred up by a hilarious and deeply perceptive guy who just happened to commit suicide. I understand how the novel's backstory must have created some excitement at the time of its discovery, but it absolutely deserved the Pulitzer—hell, it's even my favorite Pulitzer winner. I wish JKT had lived to 100 and written a dozen more novels half as good.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I liked when the weird guy came back after a week away and decided he wanted to "discuss" again so dropped another post longer than the loving book he didn't read which basically repeated all his earlier points and said "nuh-uh!" a lot to everything that was said to him. Too many words to say absolutely nothing is the perfect summary both of his posts and the books he's putting forward as somehow better than the ~Literary Establishment~.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I think the world would be a better place if more genre writers had influences outside their preferred genres.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I got around to reading that excerpt you posted and I am not sure if I am more offended by the content or the prose.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ha, I used to read that guy's blog about video games back in the mid-2000s.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I got around to reading that excerpt you posted and I am not sure if I am more offended by the content or the prose.
this is what a book with true feminist themes looks like. I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

quote:

The thing screeched like a thousand falcons

Look at that description. loving look at it. Bathe in it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

lmao I just noticed guess-who appears in that thread to defend Bakker as the greatest psychologist and groundbreaking neuroscientist of our age

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In reference to Confederacy of Dunces, I'm going to start reading Walker Percy's first novel, The Moviegoer, tonight. Percy was instrumental in getting CoD published after Toole's death. I've never read the guy, but I'm excited.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Look at that description. loving look at it. Bathe in it.

this is arguably the least aesthetically offensive segment of that excerpt

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What do a thousand falcons scream like? And how does one scream like them?

Does he mean the thing had a thousand vocal chords making distinct sounds? That the scream was dissonant? That the scream was loud? And if it was any of the latter why not use the infinite better similes that exist than "like a thousand falcons"

End Of Worlds posted:

this is arguably the least aesthetically offensive segment of that excerpt

Oh totally, that segment is not offensively ugly as much as it is hilariously incompetent

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I had moments of feeling meh about Confederacy but like any good classic comedy setup it all starts falling together toward the end and all the details become essential components of the punchline. Also the thing about Ignatius being a huge goon is probably part of the reason it's less impressive these days because guys like that are everywhere. It's prescient.

Solitair posted:

I think the world would be a better place if more genre writers had influences outside their preferred genres.
NOTE: Borges does not count.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's not even specific enough that it's screaming like a thousand falcons [would], so it's possible to read it as a scream sharing some inherent property with an especially large but relatively quiet flock of falcons.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
while we're on the subject of fantasy writers and weird rape, and since Donaldson was quoted above defending epic fantasy as capital-L Literature, here's an excerpt from his second novel in the Thomas Covenant series:

Donaldson posted:

“Are you through?” Covenant grated through the clench of his teeth. “How much more do you think I can stand?”

She did not answer aloud. Instead, she turned toward him. Tears streaked her cheeks. She was silhouetted against the darkening vista of Trothgard, as she stepped up to him, slipped her arms about his neck, and kissed him.

He gasped, and her breath was snatched into his lungs. He was stunned. A black mist filled his sight as her lips caressed his.

Then for a moment he lost control. He repulsed her as if her breath carried infection. Crying, “Bustard!” he swung, backhanded her face with all his force. The blow staggered her.

He pounced after her. His fingers clawed her blanket, tore it from her shoulders. But his violence did not daunt her. She caught her balance, did not flinch or recoil. She made no effort to cover herself. With her head high, she held herself erect and calm; naked, she stood before him as if she were invulnerable.

It was Covenant who flinched. He quailed away from her as if she appalled him. “Haven’t I committed enough crimes?” he panted hoarsely. “Aren’t you satisfied?”

Her answer seemed to spring clean and clear out of the strange otherness of her gaze. “You cannot ravish me, Thomas Covenant. There is no crime here. I am willing. I have chosen you.”

“Don’t!” he groaned. “Don’t say that!” He flung his arms about his chest as if to conceal a hole in his armor. “You’re just trying to give me gifts again. You’re trying to bribe me.”

“No. I have chosen you. I wish to share life with you.”

“Don’t!” he repeated. “You don’t know what you’re doing. Don’t you understand how desperately II-?”

But he could not say the words, need you. He choked on them. He wanted her, wanted what she offered him more than anything. But he could not say it. A passion more fundamental than desire restrained him.

this, for context, is his daughter by rape of a character in the first novel

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Does he mean the thing had a thousand vocal chords making distinct sounds? That the scream was dissonant? That the scream was loud? And if it was any of the latter why not use the infinite better similes that exist than "like a thousand falcons"

Oh totally, that segment is not offensively ugly as much as it is hilariously incompetent

Geez Mel do you need everything spelled out for you? Use your imagination.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

End Of Worlds posted:

while we're on the subject of fantasy writers and weird rape, and since Donaldson was quoted above defending epic fantasy as capital-L Literature, here's an excerpt from his second novel in the Thomas Covenant series:

this, for context, is his daughter by rape of a character in the first novel

I still cannot get over the fact the main villain is a wizard that represents leprosy as a metaphysical concept

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Confederacy of Dunces is legitimately funny as well which is really difficult. I'm going to say that anyone who enjoyed it should read Been Down So Long it Looks Like Up to Me - it's what would happen if Pynchon had written Confederacy.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I still cannot get over the fact the main villain is a wizard that represents leprosy as a metaphysical concept
Which of those two things is most offensive to you, Mel?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like to think he meant "The thing screeched in a manner similar to that of about a thousand known falcons. Not every falcon screeches the way the thing screeched, but at least a thousand do."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nakar posted:

Which of those two things is most offensive to you, Mel?

Its a toss up. On one hand, there is deciding the best embodiment of a personal struggle with disease is a wizard. On the other hand, there is deciding that the disease should be loving leprosy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Confederacy of Dunces is legitimately funny as well which is really difficult. I'm going to say that anyone who enjoyed it should read Been Down So Long it Looks Like Up to Me - it's what would happen if Pynchon had written Confederacy.

Been Down So Long is the funniest book I have ever read (except for maybe Inherent Vice), and it remains one of my favorites. I cannot recommend that book enough. Gnossos Pappadopoulis is such a lovable dick.

I don't think CoD is near the quality of Been Down So Long, but I guess I need to give it a re-read sometime.