Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Master_Odin posted:

The really crazy part is that they're definitely not playing this game for their job with a rank of 38. I guess Overwatch is as good a way to spend your summer holiday as anything else.

I assume it is a kid utterly wasting his summer vacation or something, either that or someone unemployed. That is carpal-tunnel-brace levels of marathoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

If gaming is your only hobby and you have no other responsibilities, 10 hours for gaming isn't unheard of. Not much different than WoW poopsockers, Starcraft players, etc.

I'm just saying it's nothing new for gaming.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I assume it is a kid utterly wasting his summer vacation or something, either that or someone unemployed. That is carpal-tunnel-brace levels of marathoning
Pretty much. i'm not one to judge since i definitely did that as a pre-teen/early-teen. if Ragnarok Online/Infantry Online/Natural Selection had stat tracking way back in the day, i'd probably have an embarrassing amount of time there in relatively short amounts of time. that, and BC2, was the last major FPS i ever sunk any time into tho so my gaming skills have been downhill since early/mid 2000s.

(un)fortunately i'm still barely below lvl60 in this game [speaking of which, do you get less exp/time in competitive mode compared to QM?]

having a job/dog/girlfriend/being old sucks.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I would assume it's a shared account

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Coming back into this game competitive mode has been a godsend to me. I broke the poo poo out of my wrist at the end of may and just now can play games again. Now that comp mode is out quick play has turned on into full idgaf mode and its great.

I couldnt care less about winning or losing, i just wanna have fun in my goofy anime shooter.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Xaris posted:

/Infantry Online

Ooh someone else played Inf?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Xaris posted:

[speaking of which, do you get less exp/time in competitive mode compared to QM?]

I think you get less xp per map, since medals are only counted once per match (usually 2 maps), but since there's no wait between the two maps, it could be higher per-hour in competitive, especially when you have those 2-3 minute QM queues.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

totalnewbie posted:

Ooh someone else played Inf?

Yeah I put way too much time into that, up until it went P2P (one thing I don't miss is being a poor kid with no CC). I played a pretty mean sci-ops, infiltrator and battle medic (at least before it was nerfed into the ground) back in the day. good times

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

SadisTech posted:

Everyone getting all excited about that gun blueprint seems to be missing that it's addressed to Reaper and Soldier back when they ran Overwatch and is basically what got turned into Widowmaker's exact kit when repurposed offensively. I think it's a slice of world building, not a hint at a new character.

SadisTech posted:

It's her venom mine.

:ughh:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i'd love a 'LETS GROUP UP AFTER THIS GAME' button because whenever I try to grab a pub from a good match to team with they are already in another game.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Just played the funniest competive match ever.

Nepal, 1st round: Tight fight but we actually had slight upper hand the whole time. Goes barely into overtime. Their reaper decides to contest the point and as Lucio it was my duty to do the obvious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz0BtWYhln4

That made POTG for some reason and their reaper quit. After the 30 seconds or whatever the "you can now quit without penalty" the rest of their team followed suit.

*edit*
Just noted the scores are, for some reason, wrong way around. Interesting bug.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I think you guys are a bit lenient in equating a 15yr old that has time to binge play for 10 hours in a day and the math that shows some guy has been binge gaming for 10 hours a day since the game was loving released.

I mean I guess if you have no friends/family then you could naturally achieve that time frame. Mommy must not really care if her son is wallowing in his own poo poo with Mountain Dew and Doritos scattered everywhere and she only sees him when he needs to poop every three days because his intestines are all hosed up from the gamer-cocktail he's been shoving down his throat for the past month.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think you guys are a bit lenient in equating a 15yr old that has time to binge play for 10 hours in a day and the math that shows some guy has been binge gaming for 10 hours a day since the game was loving released.

I mean I guess if you have no friends/family then you could naturally achieve that time frame. Mommy must not really care if her son is wallowing in his own poo poo with Mountain Dew and Doritos scattered everywhere and she only sees him when he needs to poop every three days because his intestines are all hosed up from the gamer-cocktail he's been shoving down his throat for the past month.

D.Va's origin story.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
You guys do realize basically every "pro" Overwatch player probably has more time than this into the game since release? It doesn't give you xp for Custom Matches, so a lot of those guys are playing 6+ hours a day and they never gain a level.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

subx posted:

You guys do realize basically every "pro" Overwatch player probably has more time than this into the game since release? It doesn't give you xp for Custom Matches, so a lot of those guys are playing 6+ hours a day and they never gain a level.

the thing is that people do that while still being very bad at the game and not profiting from it in any way. we call those people 'goons'

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Account sharing seems pretty likely to me. Especially if they're Really low level compared to time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SadisTech posted:

Everyone getting all excited about that gun blueprint seems to be missing that it's addressed to Reaper and Soldier back when they ran Overwatch and is basically what got turned into Widowmaker's exact kit when repurposed offensively. I think it's a slice of world building, not a hint at a new character.

The official Brazil Overwatch twitter addresses the blueprint to Ana Amari (Pharah's mom), along with Morrison and Reyes.

https://twitter.com/OverwatchBrasil/status/750738996578312192

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

level 460 lol how could you play this poo poo 10 hours a day, let alone even more than 2

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I'd bet 3-5 guys who live together, working college jobs (different shifts) and they just really like the game. At least that's the answer that gives me the most hope for humanity.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MinibarMatchman posted:

level 460 lol how could you play this poo poo 10 hours a day, let alone even more than 2

I used to play EQ 10 hours a day when I was 14 and homeschooled :haw:

If this was out when I was a kid...I can't even imagine.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
We played against a level 400something a few days ago in a goonstack and all he did was Genji poorly and get rolled.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably botting for more loot boxes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

packsmack posted:

I'd bet 3-5 guys who live together, working college jobs (different shifts) and they just really like the game. At least that's the answer that gives me the most hope for humanity.

yeah itd really suck for the world if some random dude played the video game too much

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
regarding Tviq: ten thousand hours. That's long enough to complete a college degree in an intense subject, or perhaps to turn one into a PhD.

this guy has a PhD in clicking on heads. Plus the natural reflexes to make it possible.

If sexy future VR games don't reward mousing precision, what does he do with this skill?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
has fun with his hobby?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Zorodius posted:

regarding Tviq: ten thousand hours. That's long enough to complete a college degree in an intense subject, or perhaps to turn one into a PhD.

this guy has a PhD in clicking on heads. Plus the natural reflexes to make it possible.

If sexy future VR games don't reward mousing precision, what does he do with this skill?

What do 99% of people that devoted that sort of time to something like Basketball do? Probably move on to something else and have a decent life.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Zorodius posted:

Ten thousand hours is approximately 5 years of full time work: 40 hours per week w/ 2 weeks of vacation per year. So its much worse than you thought.

Also, who cares about what shut ins do with their time. This is a fun clicky game and as a filthy casual I have no problem not doing comp mode and just doing qm because I think it is fun to do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zorodius posted:

frankly if you're in your 20s and have been playing shooters since you were a kid, you have probably put in similar hours

the difference is that he's just better at it (also most people don't go and time how much they've spent on video games because that way lies regrets about life choices)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i've got probably about 12,000 hours in WoW and look at me now

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
I'm not judging him -- all is vanity, after all.

I hope he has enough fun that he doesn't regret it.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
He shoulda played CS

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

mcvey posted:

He shoulda played CS

he said he did, but only for 2,000 hours. Dilettante.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I played against six Meis the other night. Then, as Zarya kept turning their pain into strength, five Meis and a Lucio. Then Lucio realized he was doing gently caress all and turned into Bastion.

So, we need to rethink Mei's design, and by doing that looking at what makes her so unloved in tournament play, and what makes her so annoying in random queues. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that her best ability helps paper over an uncoordinated team. On a pro team, someone is going to play a support, and very probably a healing one. You're going to have a Mercy that's on the job and keeping everyone healthy.

Mei's clear drawback is that she's slow, she has no mobility other than raising herself on the wall, and many maps use distance between spawn and objective as a punitive measure to discourage dying from unnecessary risks which means putting her out of action can mean not seeing her for some time. But you can't take advantage of that because she can put herself in an Absolutely Safe Capsule if you use the usual crowd clear ults like a well placed DVa implosion, or a sneaky Death Blossom, etc. Ice wall isn't the problem, the ability to go invincible and step back in with full health is, because it means you basically have to fight her through two health bars in succession to exploit the weakness of her immobility. Again, on a pro team this ability is almost useless because pro teams have good healers and good coordination so being able to flank with a really slow character is useless.

I think Mei should be a glass cannon that's the opposite of Zenyatta: She should do incredible damage at short range, I'd be down for a big damage buff and I'd even consider letting that LMouse go through Rein shields and freeze him. However, her ability to regen herself should be nerfed, whether it's in how much she regens or frequency of cooldowns or whatever. Icicle form is just too useful to cover the rear end of poor teammates who can't be bothered to keep an eye on her, she should be forced into getting her regen from other players more frequently than she does right now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Mei doesn't need a redesign, she just need to be better at what she already does.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Manatee Cannon posted:

frankly if you're in your 20s and have been playing shooters since you were a kid, you have probably put in similar hours

the difference is that he's just better at it (also most people don't go and time how much they've spent on video games because that way lies regrets about life choices)

actually a lot of why he's probably better is b/c:

http://lifehacker.com/396831/focused-practice-not-everyday-work-improves-your-skills

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-expert-mind/

Spending 10,000 hours just playing versus 10,000 hours with focused practice is pretty different.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

subx posted:

I think hero stacking is generally a good thing, but there needs to be some sort of limit:

http://plays.tv/video/577d6e928394b38641

The coordination is impressive in itself, managing to actually stall that long. I honestly don't have any clue what you could do that would help.

I like some of the ideas that are like, only a single "double" hero at any given time. So you can run double Tracer, but then you can only have a single Winston and Lucio. Would give more variety to the teams but not allow stuff like the above to happen.

I'm not sure what problem the video is supposed to point out. They won with 5 D.Va's and one Soldier sure, though the D.Va who's perspective we saw kept getting killed quick. They won, but they could've won perhaps easier with another team comp. I don't see the problemo. I don't want any player limits personally.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Mei doesn't need a redesign, she just need to be better at what she already does.

Well if you look closely, you can see that I don't really recommend any new abilities, just that the numbers change on the current ones to make her do more damage but more easily sent back to the respawn room if somebody isn't healing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Craptacular! posted:

Well if you look closely, you can see that I don't really recommend any new abilities, just that the numbers change on the current ones to make her do more damage but more easily sent back to the respawn room if somebody isn't healing.

Yeah but then you say she should be a "glass cannon" which is the exact opposite of what Mei currently is or should be. She has 250 HP and a moderately effective "get off me!" button, which is sensible for a character who has to engage at relatively close range and is geared more towards control than assassination.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to love playing as Roadhog. It feels so good to hook a Reinhart out of the red team's stack and see everyone freak out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

She has 250 HP and a moderately effective "get off me!" button

I wouldn't necessarily call it moderately effective. I guess it is on a balanced team, but on in imbalanced/uncoordinated team it's far more valuable.