Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Hate to break it to you, but that's what all good comic book movies are. Except for Ghost World maybe? The eventual TV series they're bound to make from Maus?

American Splendor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gizmojumpjet posted:

All the Avengers kept working for an organization, the leadership of which attempted to nuke New York City, for two more years until SHIELD imploded in Winter Soldier.

Well Cap did because it was the only life he'd ever known, Black Widow and Hawkeye did because that poo poo was nothing new to them, the other guys went "gently caress this!" and went and hung out in Tony's fancy tower.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

gizmojumpjet posted:

All the Avengers kept working for an organization, the leadership of which attempted to nuke New York City, for two more years until SHIELD imploded in Winter Soldier.

Only Steve, Clint, and Natasha stayed on with SHIELD, and Steve, at least, was pretty obviously disillusioned with them by the time Winter Soldier rolled around.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seems like tomorrow we'll get some stuff from Suicide Squad at Entertainment Weekly

https://twitter.com/ClayEnos/status/751070794856427520

And this is a toy, but drat if Leto's Joker doesn't look cool

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

American Splendor

Right, that was right at the tip of my posting tongue.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
None of this stuff is "realistic". That's kinda the whole point.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well Cap did because it was the only life he'd ever known, Black Widow and Hawkeye did because that poo poo was nothing new to them, the other guys went "gently caress this!" and went and hung out in Tony's fancy tower.

They're all a bunch of whores. Even the more gung-ho movies of this stripe, like 13 Hours or Act Of Valor don't treat this stuff with a shrug of the shoulders. Even in GI Joe, being in GI Joe isn't something you just do.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Right, that was right at the tip of my posting tongue.

I just hate when people don't name it, I like it so much more than Ghost World which seems to be everyone's go to "comic book movie not about superheros"

Archie the Tv Show is also coming out soon.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/751085545124532225

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Really minor thing, but I love how 3 of the 4 covers have PoC front and center. :allears:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They'd lampshaded the fact that people accept they're not literal gods: "There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."

Lampshading is like the exact opposite of exploring a topic.

quote:

Tony Stark points out that those other countries trying to develop Iron Man technology were still 5 to 10 years away so they may not have come to fruition yet.

Iron Man 2 was 2010, clock's ticking.

quote:

.... and the alien invasion in MoS is similarly acknowledged in BvS without exploring the wider questions/issues that would raise.

Er, yes it is, and is in fact a central premise of both MoS and BvS? Superman, as the last remaining Kryptonian, is an alien and a force of (effectively) supernatural power that completely upends humanity's place in the universe, come on man. There were two news montages about it in BvS just in case you hadn't cottoned on to that fact by then. And on a practical note, the government contracted Luthor precisely to figure out how to work the last functioning Kryptonian ship.

I should mention that the MCU is hardly the only set of movies to do this, I mean basically every superhero-type flick I can think of does including most of the previous DC movies. Superman: The Movie doesn't once suggest that anyone (really, even criminals) is suspicious or fearful of the appearance of a man from another galaxy who can defy gravity, bench cement trucks and blow off machine guns. A machine that sucks up your brainwaves through the TV? Just another day in Gotham. It strains credulity to place Marvel outside this camp, where a man who owns a wearable attack plane can walk out of a Senate hearing free and not immediately have all of his assets seized by (pick a national security directive, any national security directive), than in it.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 7, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Iron Man 2 was 2010, clock's ticking.

I want to see North Korea's Iron Man suit in Iron Man 4 or whatever. Call it Iron Dong after their missiles. :haw:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Wow, that cover is the first time Jared Leto's Joker has hit for me. Looks great.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

McSpanky posted:

Superman, as the last remaining Kryptonian, is an alien and a force of (effectively) supernatural power that completely upends humanity's place in the universe, come on man
That's not really discussed by anyone except Luthor (and in any case his reaction to Superman was "Kill him and re-establish humanity's place in the universe") and in the end they lock him away and ignore him. Batman also decides to kill the alien menace but doesn't actually contemplate "humanity's place in the universe". The film does not explore how humanity as a whole would react to the implications of an alien invasion and the societal changes it would inititate. The MCU has Nick Fury arguing that we need to "send a message" to the wider universe.

Edit: Luthor talks a LOT about the relationship of man to god and turning paintings upside down and stuff like that but if you sift through all his speeches and all his monologues he never actually says anything that's genuinely worthwhile or meaningful. He's having a massive identity crisis but it's not actually resolved since the agents he chooses to act out the conflict for him either end up joining forces or dying together.

McSpanky posted:

There were two news montages about it in BvS just in case you hadn't cottoned on to that fact by then.
... which would also be lampshading. And the senate meetings aren't about preparing for further alien incursions (that's Luthor's shtick) or discussing their place in a suddenly wider universe, it's what to do about Superman.

McSpanky posted:

And on a practical note, the government contracted Luthor precisely to figure out how to work the last functioning Kryptonian ship.
It was the other way around, Luthor talked his way into getting access to the ship for his own schemes.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 7, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 18, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"And when the Messiah figure does exist, we expect him to play by our rules?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

But what about that time the people of Earth looked to Thor and

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

But what about that time the people of Earth looked to Thor and

The way they introduce Thor in Avengers 1 is hilarious because it's obvious they don't give two fucks about the character.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I love how no one is in focus and one guy in particular is telling Loki to sod off because he's just a thug and not some grandiose God

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To put it bluntly, Hiddleston looks like a loving idiot there.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

To put it bluntly, Hiddleston looks like a loving idiot there.

Well I'm not here to defend the camerawork or costuming in The Avengers .... :sweatdrop:

But I think the message in that scene of "You may be a vastly superior alien race but you can't destroy humanity's courage" is at least as valid as the message in the scene in BvS of Superman inspiring hope.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

- Specters of death and desperation reach for Superman in worship

vs

- Loki stands out from a crowd (of hostages)
LOL

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 7, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Nothing in the MCU equates any character, especially Loki, to a God. Even with Odin, the attitude was "welp we didn't mean to give off that image but we're not going to exploit it".

Even Thanos seems like a cross between Red Skull and a CEO.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

- Specters of death reach for Superman in worship

vs

- Loki stands out from a crowd (of hostages)

Also, "reverent people reluctantly touch the divine" vs. "this old German dude sets up a totally sweet Hitler iceburn."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Red Skull was a much, much better villain than Thanos.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

So it's nativism? 'We' (Westerners) are superior to the rampaging foreigner?

Well that sure beats the Superman scene of the superstitious brown people paying obeisance to the White Saviour

Xealot posted:

Also, "reverent people reluctantly touch the divine" vs. "this old German dude sets up a totally sweet Hitler iceburn."
Death of the Author is a hilarious party game, someone should start a Kickstarter card game. :v:

computer parts posted:

Nothing in the MCU equates any character, especially Loki, to a God. Even with Odin, the attitude was "welp we didn't mean to give off that image but we're not going to exploit it".

Even Thanos seems like a cross between Red Skull and a CEO.

And MoS/BvS is chock-a-block full of it but Clark's reaction is pretty much always "Uh, guys ... can you not?"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

BvS has contextual counterweight with that shot since it leads into the pundit montage and the overarching story of the "survivor" of his Mideastern adventure acting as a specter over his characterization. He inspires hope in the downtrodden, but in the back of mind the words of people on TV are gnawing at him. It's a humanizing moment mixed in the center of a frame that posits him as a god to some.

Avengers has a Greatest Generation member tell Loki to go gently caress himself and then another Greatest Generation member dressed like the flag shows up and punches him. I mean, the joke is great on a weird level - Loki gets called Hitler and Cap gets to punch a fake Hitler ONE MORE TIME, figuratively - but it's a simplistic thing that further waters down Loki as a character coming off of his much more textured portrayal in Thor.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't see what makes the people in the Mexico City scene superstitious. If anything the knock on it is their third-world syncretic Catholicism being a byword for "authentic belief". It still works in employing the cliche. In the US, he's a taken for granted celebrity, but there, there are no illusions about what he is. He's Superman.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Well that sure beats the Superman scene of the superstitious brown people paying obeisance to the White Saviour

Eh, I see a lot of white faces in that crowd.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hahahaha

Please forgive him, Dark_Tzitzimine

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And MoS/BvS is chock-a-block full of it but Clark's reaction is pretty much always "Uh, guys ... can you not?"

If that's how you wanna see it. But it's wrong.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh man, and I didn't even do my "Well of course they love him, he's a model Illegal Alien" joke

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Any of a multitude of the questions or issues raised by the alien invasion in The Avengers are either ignored outright, raised only as minor plot points with little depth or relegated to television side projects.

I laughed in Jessica Jones when, a short time after their city was attacked by aliens led by a mind-controlling Norse God, no one in New York believed that mind control could be real.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

I laughed in Jessica Jones when, a short time after their city was attacked by aliens led by a mind-controlling Norse God, no one in New York believed that mind control could be real.

what do the people on the streets know about that? all they know is aliens came pouring out of the sky.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

If that's how you wanna see it. But it's wrong.

Do you have a better comeback than just "NUH UH"? Different examples of Clark's reactions to being worshipped? I can think of points in the film where they push Messianic iconography onto him (the Jesus Pose in space, the stained glass window) but I can't remember any times he was actually okay with any of that, or even at all comfortable with it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Elfgames posted:

what do the people on the streets know about that? all they know is aliens came pouring out of the sky.

Doesn't Loki use the mind manipulation power of the staff to make everyone kneel? Can't remember tbh.

Also, if a giant portal over NYC opened up and giant ship sized aliens floated into the city leveling it block by block, I'd be open to believing in mind control.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hey may not be comfortable with it but he's coming to terms with it - he wants to be this figure. His conversations with Lois and his mom show him finding out both sides of this personal conflict.

Does he rescue people all the time and be their savior or does he do nothing cause he owes them nothing?

He doesn't outright reject anything.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Does he rescue people all the time and be their savior or does he do nothing cause he owes them nothing?

He's just a guy trying to do the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

Hey may not be comfortable with it but he's coming to terms with it - he wants to be this figure.

And I like Thor precisely because they're coming at this from the opposite direction. We don't need to see people worship him because he's been worshipped for thousands of years. He already is that figure. His story is about a god learning to be a man, and I kind of love that.

• Locked thread