Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

it's july

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I got two T6 connies from the same stack of 20 boxes :allbuttons:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Name one "JJ Trek Best Trek," fly around ESD and Sector for a couple hours, record the tells, then ditch it and fly a Vengeance because it's better.

Organize a Goon giveaway for the other one, because gently caress giving those to pubbies, they're worth money.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Temporal Bullshit.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I'm in this weird, awful game as Saif@jamukha and I have no idea what i'm doing but my space ship can disappear and I think that's Neat

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Sixto Lezcano posted:

I'm in this weird, awful game as Saif@jamukha and I have no idea what i'm doing but my space ship can disappear and I think that's Neat

Hey I gave you some advice in the chat earlier but I just wanted to mention that you should at some point in the next 8 weeks or so make a TOS character and run it to the end of the tutorial section. There's an event that started today with some nice rewards you'll never be able to get again if you don't get the character past the tutorial during the event. Once you're past the tutorial you can ignore that character safely until you actually feel like checking out the fed content.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The sad thing about the game's fall is that there are still devs who are clearly having fun with it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

The sad thing about the game's fall is that there are still devs who are clearly having fun with it.

The art team seems to have the remaining good, competent people who know what they're doing.

Well, there's Trendy too.

But the code jockeys seem to have lost track of what species they're riding, let alone which of its many appendages bite, claw, or breathe fire,

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

The art team seems to have the remaining good, competent people who know what they're doing.

But the code jockeys seem to have lost track of what species they're riding, let alone which of its many appendages bite, claw, or breathe fire,

Eh, I don't think the current code jockeys are much to blame, they're just holding together with spit and duct tape an engine that needs far more resources dropped into it than they're getting.

The game designers, though.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I like to imagine that starting work on the STO legacy code base is like a descent into hell. People start out with the very best of intentions and clear-eyed zeal to get in there and improve the way things are done. They then gaze upon the writhing mass of spaghetti code, some of which is probably in fortran running on a custom undocumented emulator which ports it to COBOL running on yet another emulator.

Before they know what's happened they find themselves coding values directly into the body of the code because no-one knows what that variable actually does.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

This is your regular reminder that there are entire subsystems of the game where the current staff literally, unironically have no idea how they function at all.

Less of them than they was a year ago after they completely revamped BOFFs and kits and skills, sure, but there's still stuff like the DOFF system where the original dev left and there's massive lingering bugs in it due to other changes that the current devs can't fix because the guy who made it and was the only one who knew how it worked left ages ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That and the mind-boggling fact that nobody knows how to relate much of the database together in a useful way for updating things.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 7, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That's because their database software is, I'm pretty sure, some semi-proprietary or atypical insanity that's utterly useless in practice. I don't know the specifics but I know CoH had similar under the hood issues that Paragon struggled with for ages after Cryptic split off.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

This is why we document!

This is why. .. :negative:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

That's because their database software is, I'm pretty sure, some semi-proprietary or atypical insanity that's utterly useless in practice. I don't know the specifics but I know CoH had similar under the hood issues that Paragon struggled with for ages after Cryptic split off.

We talked about this a few pages ago: it's a self-rolled flat database held entirely in virtualised ram the entire time it's on that uses straight c macros to access data.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ah, right. :shepicide:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So much better than the 'real' hull colouring.

Anyone got a shot of the 31st century bridge? Is it the same as the 29th century ships?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 7, 2016

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MikeJF posted:

We talked about this a few pages ago: it's a self-rolled flat database held entirely in virtualised ram the entire time it's on that uses straight c macros to access data.

Much like

your

posting.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Anyone got a shot of the 31st century bridge? Is it the same as the 29th century ships?
The 6th century ships look so much better in the type 0 (TOS) skins than in their own type 8 skin. It's crazy, it actually looks more like it should be their natural skin than the actual one. I'd take a screenshot but I'm not at my PC at the moment.

Also the 31st century ships just share the Wells bridge, despite not being able to use the Wells/Aeon/Paradox skins and consoles. :effort:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

The 6th century ships look so much better in the type 0 (TOS) skins than in their own type 8 skin. It's crazy, it actually looks more like it should be their natural skin than the actual one. I'd take a screenshot but I'm not at my PC at the moment.

Also the 31st century ships just share the Wells bridge, despite not being able to use the Wells/Aeon/Paradox skins and consoles. :effort:

That's a shame, that bridge isn't great. You straight up can't use any other skins on the good ships either, even the standard ones.

Just got my poo poo pushed in on one of the early AoY missions - Battle of Caleb IV I think? It turns out a Constitution cruiser is not as good at fighting swarms of Klingons as a Paradox dreadnought.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I like the Heavy Phaser turret device from the Paladin that also doubles as a universal damage upper. I'm pretty sure the stationary multiform suicide turret does more for BZs than most actual players.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Psycho Landlord posted:

Name one "JJ Trek Best Trek," fly around ESD and Sector for a couple hours, record the tells, then ditch it and fly a Vengeance because it's better.

Organize a Goon giveaway for the other one, because gently caress giving those to pubbies, they're worth money.

Ooh ooh, if you want to do a Goon giveaway for a JJPrize, I'd gladly sign up!

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
if you ever get a lockbox ship but you're not sure if you want it, you could always copy your character to Tribble and open it there and test it

The Boolean Gun Melee animation is pretty great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9C1ozZAMbs

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 7, 2016

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Dely Apple posted:

This is why we document!

This is why. .. :negative:

Every game programmer is like "I'm going to going to document everything. I'll be the one who actually does it."

MikeJF posted:

Last night when I was trying to adjust how that ship looked I swear it wasn't taking the material into effect at all.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
The Ferengi dance isn't working anymore :cry:

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Took some screens of the Vengeance

https://imgur.com/a/HFaMc

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
The Vengeance is poo poo:

Days of Doom:
* Aleth on base defence in his sci pilot raptor = we win
* 2 SHAMEFUL goons in Vengeances on base defence = station blows up in under 5m

Sure, the SHAMEFUL goons will complain 'lag' and 'I didn't have leech slotted' but really, it's because the Vengeance is poo poo.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Lagomorphic posted:

Hey I gave you some advice in the chat earlier but I just wanted to mention that you should at some point in the next 8 weeks or so make a TOS character and run it to the end of the tutorial section. There's an event that started today with some nice rewards you'll never be able to get again if you don't get the character past the tutorial during the event. Once you're past the tutorial you can ignore that character safely until you actually feel like checking out the fed content.
When the does tutorial end? I did the first mission and just started 'In the Shadow of Cestus', which feels like the first post-tutorial mission but I didn't get anything.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pierson posted:

When the does tutorial end? I did the first mission and just started 'In the Shadow of Cestus', which feels like the first post-tutorial mission but I didn't get anything.

When you get to the future.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Aleth posted:

The Vengeance is poo poo:

Days of Doom:
* Aleth on base defence in his sci pilot raptor = we win
* 2 SHAMEFUL goons in Vengeances on base defence = station blows up in under 5m

Sure, the SHAMEFUL goons will complain 'lag' and 'I didn't have leech slotted' but really, it's because the Vengeance is poo poo.

You couldn't hold the waves back on Advanced and needed to be rescued. The next run was on elite, and the Vengeances indeed were overwhelmed, but it was mainly due to Tech's inability to signal when merging :argh:

The third run was back to advanced, and it was a cakewalk. Even with intentional sabotage by Aotc. Vengeance owns, smelly Klingon Untermenschen get out :colbert:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tunicate posted:

When you get to the future.
Wow, spoilers.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Psycho Landlord posted:

You couldn't hold the waves back on Advanced and needed to be rescued. The next run was on elite, and the Vengeances indeed were overwhelmed, but it was mainly due to Tech's inability to signal when merging :argh:

The third run was back to advanced, and it was a cakewalk. Even with intentional sabotage by Aotc. Vengeance owns, smelly Klingon Untermenschen get out :colbert:

Lies. It's also smaller than the tarantula making it an inferior dread.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Vengeance is indeed a very good ship but the Archeros is far better because of that turn & impulse modifier.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

On a scale of Voquov to Snail eating a stick, how poorly does the Vengeance fly?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dely Apple posted:

On a scale of Voquov to Snail eating a stick, how poorly does the Vengeance fly?

Base turn 7 and an impulse speed higher than your average cruiser so making hard turns at full throttle is surprisingly difficult.

I'd say it handles like a pig. Doesn't matter for PVE but if PVP was still a thing I'd fly something else because it definitely matters there.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's got roughly the same handling characteristics as an Odyssey. Terrible, but if you're used to spacewhales it's ok. The broadside cannons console it comes with actually works pretty well.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Lol you people still think turn rates matter in this day and age.

ayrsayle
Jan 5, 2013

Asimo posted:

Well, crap. Was really hoping that would be a thing, but I guess not. :argh:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Lol you people still think turn rates matter in this day and age.

So how do you 'fix' such a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

APO and Aux to Dampeners go a long way, without getting into skills or any of the huge amount of awesome universal consoles that have been a part of every build for the past two years that just so happen to buff turn.

I'm honestly surprised you're asking this question.

• Locked thread