Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I wanted to check out the Barclay transporter psychosis episode in HD.

I like the advancements the Federation's made in intra-transporter flashlight technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they didn't have a Saucer Sep™ in the pilot, there would have never been a saucer separation because it would be too expensive to film later.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

If they didn't have a Saucer Sep™ in the pilot, there would have never been a saucer separation because it would be too expensive to film later.

I can't think of another time it was ever used except for Generations anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Best of Both Worlds

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

WickedHate posted:

I can't think of another time it was ever used except for Generations anyway.

Errand of Mercy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Arsenal of Freedom.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I forget who it was that pointed out that Roddenberry tended to name his characters in a very particular way -- one or two syllables, often featuring the "K" sound.

Think about it. Pike, Kirk, Spock, Scott, McCoy, Decker. Picard, Riker, Crusher. These are names that sound like they're coming to kick your rear end. Short, to the point, and they all have a very different sound than a name like "Roddenberry".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

And ironically, I believe it was the very filming and editing of it for the pilot that convinced them not to use it as much as they were planning anyway. The finished product dragged episode pacing to a halt so it went from "every major battle sequence" to "serious emergencies only". Note how in BoBW the separation is done in a tiny like 2-second shot from Locutus's perspective and reconnection is entirely offscreen between acts.

Powered Descent posted:

I forget who it was that pointed out that Roddenberry tended to name his characters in a very particular way -- one or two syllables, often featuring the "K" sound.

Think about it. Pike, Kirk, Spock, Scott, McCoy, Decker. Picard, Riker, Crusher. These are names that sound like they're coming to kick your rear end. Short, to the point, and they all have a very different sound than a name like "Roddenberry".

If I ever become a pro wrestler my name is totally gonna be Doctor Crusher. Say like the announcement guy for the TNG upcoming episode commercials, DOC-TORRRRR CRRRRRRUSHERRRRRRRRRRRR :flex:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 7, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Wasn't Shatner very heavily involved in Chaos on the Bridge and the whole point was that TOS was the best and gently caress you guys my show is better than yours? Roddenberry was definitely a mess, and I'm sure he found evidence to prove his points most of the time, but when the evidence didn't actually fit his narrative that didn't stop anybody from including it anyway, like the Stewart threatening in the cafeteria. The whole thing felt a lot like the 'Kirk is the bested guy in the universe' books* Shatner wrote.

*At least the synopsis for them, I didn't actually read them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It depends on when Chaos on the Bridge got made, I guess. My sense is that Shatner has calmed down a lot from his 110% prima donna act. He still apparently does not get along with George Takei.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

Drone posted:

Has there really been anything about the new Trek series besides "it's gonna be in the Kelvin universe"? I have this deep fear that they're going to try to do Star Trek: The Next JJeneration and it's just going to be awful.

It's supposed to premiere in January of 2017, right? I remember when Enterprise was announced/launched and we had waaay more details in the 6 months leading up to it than we have about the new series now. Like, I remember promotional material and TV Guide covers and cast information and all that stuff being released like near the beginning of Voyager's seventh season.

I heard it's going to take place in the prime timeline, somewhere between Final Frontier and TNG season 1. They're not gonna start shooting until fall, so around September/October, not surprising there isn't much info out about it.

It's being shot here in Toronto so come September, I'm gonna be hassling my agent everyday to get me on the show and fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming Star Trek canon.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

counterfeitsaint posted:

Wasn't Shatner very heavily involved in Chaos on the Bridge and the whole point was that TOS was the best and gently caress you guys my show is better than yours? Roddenberry was definitely a mess, and I'm sure he found evidence to prove his points most of the time, but when the evidence didn't actually fit his narrative that didn't stop anybody from including it anyway, like the Stewart threatening in the cafeteria. The whole thing felt a lot like the 'Kirk is the bested guy in the universe' books* Shatner wrote.

*At least the synopsis for them, I didn't actually read them.

Not really, its one of like dozens of Trek Docs that Shatner just seems to fill his day with, but none of the interviews feel like he has to coax any secrets out of them. And that Picard threatening story, both the exec and Patrick Stewart tell their sides of the story uninterrupted by Shatner, that's the most ethical thing you can do in a situation where both sides say very different things and you don't have any proof which bloke is telling the actual truth. You won't get very far in an interview if you start accusing the other person of lying, and you definitely shouldn't do it if you have no concrete proof.

The one thing bit of forced management Shatner did do on Bridge of Chaos was that he kept trying to push this struggle for power angle on the events. Like if one writers described a working environment that seemed like no one was in charge Shatner would jump in with "so there was power vaccum, and you were all struggling for.... power?" Like its not enough validation unless they all say those magic words.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It also sometimes muddies the waters. See the contrasting accounts of a conversation between Patrick Stewart and... poo poo, some exec at Paramount whose name I'm forgetting, where the exec claims he bullied Stewart into playing ball, and Stewart denies any such conversation took place. Or, hell, Maurice Hurley basically contradicting himself, first saying "oh, yeah, Gene had all these wacky ideas that were a huge pain in the rear end" and then saying "b-b-but i was the only one left fighting for ~Gene's vision~ and that's why i had to quit :qq:"

I can't remember if it was that flick, or Joel Engel's book, that pointed out that TNG went through something like 35+ writers in that first year.

While I don't like Hurley as a person or a writer I don't think this is fair. I took away from the interviews with him that he thought Gene's ideas were stupid but since it was Gene's show everyone had to follow the party line because that's how the business works. You know an extreme sense of professionalism. He seemed genuinely bitter that Gene of all people would occasionally undermine the guidelines Hurley put so much time and effort into enforcing.

I've worked under supervisors just like that, they think the way things work is stupid but they'll follow them to the letter anyway and they really don't like it when the bigwigs decide to bend the rules now and then.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 7, 2016

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Brick Card posted:

I heard it's going to take place in the prime timeline, somewhere between Final Frontier and TNG season 1. They're not gonna start shooting until fall, so around September/October, not surprising there isn't much info out about it.

If this is true, that's surprising. I would have figured Paramount to be full speed ahead in creating a new show in the JJ Kelvin Universe since that's essentially a blank slate and they could do whatever they goddamn want in it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Brick Card posted:

I heard it's going to take place in the prime timeline, somewhere between Final Frontier and TNG season 1.

The rumour was that it was post TUC/pre TNG but that was debunked recently.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's really too bad, I was looking forward to red jackets and ribbed turtlenecks again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

If?

Dude probably has a Horga'hn for a keychain

Why do they call it a Whore-Gone when it does the opposite anyway?!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I thought Risa was supposed to be less "brothel planet" and more "free love planet".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I thought Risa was supposed to be less "brothel planet" and more "free love planet".

Yeah, but the natives seem to be more or less employed there as sex-havers. I suppose there isn't much difference in the Federation, though, is there?

No money = no prostitutes. They work to better themselves, and/or for Real Estate (getting to live on the eden-like Pleasure Planet)

Free Love? It's Free Real Estate :smug:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What if there are no prostitutes, just enough people coming to gently caress that you're never without gently caress partners? It's a big galaxy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's a brothel, it's just free. Risa was set up as a nymphomaniac containment planet and it sort of worked itself into a tourist destination.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
"In the future, there is no currency. We plow to better ourselves, to achieve an enlightened understanding of every position."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WickedHate posted:

What if there are no prostitutes, just enough people coming to gently caress that you're never without gently caress partners? It's a big galaxy.

The "locals" are all hawt people with space barcodes on their foreheads that you can summon to gently caress you apparently at will.

Certainly, they might just have been a monoculture of sex maniacs that qualified joined the Federation because of their world government literally called the Hedony (not kidding)

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
Quick question, figured this would be the best place to ask. I can't easily identify which Star Trek thing this is from, I got it years and years ago from the Star Trek thing in London. Star Trek hivemind thread seemed like the best resource.

Edit; Date on the back is 1995 if that helps.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 8, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Looks like a ToS command badge. But I don't recall those having the red insignia for the show.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

UnquietDream posted:

Quick question, figured this would be the best place to ask. I can't easily identify which Star Trek thing this is from, I got it years and years ago from the Star Trek thing in London. Star Trek hivemind thread seemed like the best resource.

Edit; Date on the back is 1995 if that helps.

The outside delta stands for Starfleet, the peacekeeping armada of the United Federation of Planets. The shooting star inside stands for Command Divison from the original 1960s Star Trek. The red inside is surprising and didn't appear on the show, but neither did lapel pins like this one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I can't remember if it was that flick, or Joel Engel's book, that pointed out that TNG went through something like 35+ writers in that first year.

It was Engel. What I really appreciate about that book is that while it was very, very harsh on Roddenberry, it wasn't a hatchet job -- he had direct sources and quotes for just about everything, which made Susan Sackett's tantrum about it all the more embarrassing.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

My sense is that Shatner has calmed down a lot from his 110% prima donna act. He still apparently does not get along with George Takei.

He never reconciled with Doohan before his death, and Nichols, Takei and Koenig still infamously hate him. There's an anecdote about a picture that he, Doohan and Koenig took on the bridge of the Enterprise-B, holding hands and grinning; Koenig quipped something along the lines of, "Any picture of the three of us holding hands must be worth $500. Signed, five thousand."

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 7, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What book was this? I wanna read it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

What book was this? I wanna read it.

Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek. Very highly recommended; it does a good takedown job of some of the urban legends that Roddenberry liked to tell about himself (like single-handedly saving the passengers in a Pan-Am crash, or showing up as a police officer in a bar to scare the poo poo out of an agent so he'd read a script).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

like single-handedly saving the passengers in a Pan-Am crash

Hah! I saw a really schmaltzy comic about that on tumblr and it felt like bullshit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WickedHate posted:

Hah! I saw a really schmaltzy comic about that on tumblr and it felt like bullshit.

It was probably the one that The Oatmeal did last year. Literally the only sources that back it up are Shatner's Star Trek Memories (which is full of poo poo anyway) and the "authorized" biography of Roddenberry, heavily sanitized, by David Alexander that came out in like 1994 or 1995. I tweeted at Matthew Inman that the story was horseshit and he blocked me.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 8, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I knew that comic was bullshit but none of my dumb friends believed me. It still gets Facebook shared on a regular basis.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/george-takei-tried-to-convince-the-team-behind-star-tre-1783306619

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

That's gay

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I was so sad when that comic turned out to be based on a lie. Why you gotta be like this Roddenberry :smithcloud:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HIJK posted:

I was so sad when that comic turned out to be based on a lie. Why you gotta be like this Roddenberry :smithcloud:

Dude loved having a cult of personality around himself. And he never liked to lose. I think it's in Inside Star Trek that Doohan tells a story about a weekly poker game held at Bill Campbell's house, and one night Roddenberry got in the hole to the tune of like three thousand bucks, and he kept on fighting to keep playing, until Campbell said something like, "Gene, shut the gently caress up, this is my house, and if I say we forgive the debt, then we forgive the debt."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Powered Descent posted:

You have discovered the literary term "aliteration" and this gold star.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Star Man posted:

I don't think you know what alliteration means.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Star Man posted:

You mean consonance???

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think you know what alliteration means.

I sure as poo poo don't and this is why I barely survive literature classes with a C.

Excuse me while I get jettisoned out of an airlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

Man, "head-canon" is really a dumb term.