Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Did you negotiate in person? Never lowball over the Internet, always lowball with a grip of hundreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What kind of loving heathen are you?

A Wisconsinite. Yep, that kind of heathen. We are the only ones who get Brandy OF's. Wisconsin drinks something like 90% of the nations brandy.

JHVH-1 posted:

Just like a martini it should have vodka prepended to the name to indicate you have ruined it by removing the gin.

I don't drink the poo poo, it's a snobby hipster/baby boomer drink anyway.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Alcohol derail best derail.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

AI has their own monthly chat thread. Why can't we have nice things?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Because no new threads actually get created in AI, we just add to existing monolithic ones.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Gorson posted:

Well, we do have the less questions and more chatting thread.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gorson posted:

A Wisconsinite. Yep, that kind of heathen. We are the only ones who get Brandy OF's. Wisconsin drinks something like 90% of the nations brandy.

If you need it to be syrupy sweet, you could just use Canadian whiskey, being so geographically close.

Yes, I know the original OF was brandy, but I will never concede on bourbon.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

If you need it to be syrupy sweet, you could just use Canadian whiskey, being so geographically close.

or Southern Comfort :barf:

I like press and not sweet, the soda is just enough to cut the sweetness of the cherries and brandy.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hey now, there's nothing wrong with southern comfort, so long you douse it in enough of anything else that you can't taste it anymore :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I like Southern Comfort and I stand by my bad taste in alcohol. Fight me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coredump posted:

I like Southern Comfort and I stand by my bad taste in alcohol. Fight me.

What is it about people who like lovely liquor always wanting to fight

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Did you negotiate in person? Never lowball over the Internet, always lowball with a grip of hundreds.

This is some loving good advice, nobody ever ever ever responds positively to an internet/text lowball unless the bike is stolen. Always negotiate in person with fat stacks in your hand.

Gorson posted:

3 threads of razzled dick waving isn't enough for you?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

razzled dick waving

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What is it about people who like lovely liquor always wanting to fight

It gets us riled up.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Rev works at a bike shop and doesn't see any of the success stories so he's pretty pessimistic about these things. They're basically Honda F3 carbs which no one would bat an eye at you buying to fix up. Offer 1500 and enjoy your relatively simple project.
This is true but I learned that stuff the hard way as well and even in my day job doing this kind of thing for the hundredth time it's easy to miss things. Late model carbs are legitimately very complicated, very sensitive, and usually a lot of physical work to simply get in and out too. For someone without mechanic experience, that's like trying to play a full length Jimi solo as your first song to learn playing guitar. Or jumping on an S1000RR [not in rain mode] to learn on your first track day. Sure you might be able to do it but be aware the depth of the pool you're jumping into. The internet -- including this forum -- is I think very reckless in suggesting people jump into that pool's deep end when they try to do jobs like that at home. "Just pull the carbs man" is a stupidly common suggestion. Make sure you want to jump into that deep end before you jump.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Gorson posted:

A fun game is to take folks visiting from back home (Madison) out when they come visit (Oakland) and not tell them what's going to happen when they order an Old Fashioned.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is true but I learned that stuff the hard way as well and even in my day job doing this kind of thing for the hundredth time it's easy to miss things. Late model carbs are legitimately very complicated, very sensitive, and usually a lot of physical work to simply get in and out too. For someone without mechanic experience, that's like trying to play a full length Jimi solo as your first song to learn playing guitar. Or jumping on an S1000RR [not in rain mode] to learn on your first track day. Sure you might be able to do it but be aware the depth of the pool you're jumping into. The internet -- including this forum -- is I think very reckless in suggesting people jump into that pool's deep end when they try to do jobs like that at home. "Just pull the carbs man" is a stupidly common suggestion. Make sure you want to jump into that deep end before you jump.

Totally, just in this case - worst case is he's out ~$1500 plus his time. He could patch it back together and sell it non-running for a grand if he really hosed it up. I figure if someone's going for a new project, they can do a lot worse than that. I'm not sure how much easier you can start someone without them taking apart a working bike, which is always a big no no. Carbs, with time spent and a bit of care and consulting the internet or a local friend who's mechanically inclined should be a fine starting spot for someone who wants to learn how to work on bikes. And if you break something, there should be plenty of spares on eBay. Not like fuckups would be that expensive, thusly the encouragement to go for it.

In fact, I'd almost always recommend a bike that runs as a first project bike - it doesn't have to run well, but it should already run. If it's running and isn't rod knocking/has oil in it, it's probably going to be a good project experience.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
If anyone wants to become just like forum posting SuperStar PaintVagrant have I got the bike for you:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/5665369743.html

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I guess that's a good reminder that clean f4is are not in any way unique or rare, hah. Literally the same year, color, and mileage as mine.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

Just like a martini it should have vodka prepended to the name to indicate you have ruined it by removing the gin.
"Martini. Gin, not vodka, obviously. Stirred for ten seconds while glancing at an unopened bottle of vermouth."

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I prefer a little dry vermouth in my martini. Made with North Shore gin, and ice made with water from the same region.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I bartended for a while at a high end place. We had 40lb blocks of ice brought in and we hand cut every piece of ice so that a standard pour filled the glass along with the piece of ice.

Y'alls bringin back the nightmares.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So what did that get you, two, three dollars an hour?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
bout tree fiddy

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 7, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

TheFonz posted:

If anyone wants to become just like forum posting SuperStar PaintVagrant have I got the bike for you:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/mcy/5665369743.html

That is pretty goddamn tempting.
I'd pay that for a yellow one, but probably not that loving thing.

...I do have family in Minneapolis, so I would at least have someone to pick me up from the airport.
hmmm...

Edit:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/5618589184.html

This guy is on crack right? I mean it's a nice bike, but none of those upgrades are really even desirable except the exhaust.

Jesus same with this guy:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/5640233708.html

What the gently caress? $5000 for a 10 year old bike with a hosed up fairing?

"One owner no accidents " So did you purposely take a baseball bat to that fairing or what?
Also, you put the inspection stickers on the upper fork tubes... you're an rear end in a top hat.

Why are F4i's commanding such ridiculous prices this year? I swear to god we were swimming in $3000 Hondas at the beginning of the riding season last year.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 7, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
90s sport bikes are the new cafe racer bro. I told you dog!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Middle of summer, plus "death of the 600cc super sport," and a whole lot of self delusion on value?

I'm super on edge right now. I have literal days left with my Sportster - selling it to my dad- and I haven't had time to line up a replacement.

I sat on a few Ducatis some days ago, thought the Monster was comfy, and after badmouthing the Hypermotard I genuinely want to give one a try.

But there are affordable Super Duke 1290s nearby.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 7, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That is pretty goddamn tempting.
I'd pay that for a yellow one, but probably not that loving thing.

...I do have family in Minneapolis, so I would at least have someone to pick me up from the airport.
hmmm...

Edit:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/5618589184.html

This guy is on crack right? I mean it's a nice bike, but none of those upgrades are really even desirable except the exhaust.

Those wheels are like 3k for the set, usually swappable between bikes with different internal spacers. But lol at doing all that work and never touching the suspension.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
So, just bought a bike and not looking for a new one, but if anyone wants some new 2013/2014 MVs feel free to come to Minneapolis:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

On the Italian scale of reliability how bad is an MV?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Could probably make it back to CA before it needed the first starter sprag!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

90s sport bikes are the new cafe racer bro. I told you dog!

*12 years from now*
Yeah, I'm just getting into bikes but I love the look of a 90s jap-crap. I found a 2022 KTM Uberduke 1510 and I think I'm going to get the Hayabusa replica fairings to put on it. All I need to do now is chop 6 inches off the forks and find a stretched swingarm.... it is going to look just like a bike my dad had back in the day. I just really appreciate the heritage.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Imagine how upsetting it is going to be when kids buy scramblers, put slicks on them, and rattle can "Gixxa" on the side.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

by that time, motorcycles will be illegal because they can't be made self-driving and no companies will insure you.

get your carbed r1 today

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
They totally can be*, but nobody would buy one because the whole point of having a bike is riding the drat thing.

Although I doubt they'll ever be banned tbh; if they were going to do it they'd have done it already. Motorbikes will get perpetually grandfathered in to new legislation just like other cool popular dangerous things, ie alcohol and tobacco.

*Remember the yamaha motobot? Nothing about it actually requires there to be an anthropomorphic dummy sat on the bike, that's only a thing so they can easily have it operate any existing machine (and even then it doesn't need to look human, that's all about style and marketing). It'd take some R&D effort, but control actuators and sensors could be hidden away on a more or less regular looking bike to allow it to be ridden as normal but also ride itself.

Don't ask me what happens when you try to wrestle with the steering motor though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

They totally can be*, but nobody would buy one because the whole point of having a bike is riding the drat thing.

Although I doubt they'll ever be banned tbh; if they were going to do it they'd have done it already. Motorbikes will get perpetually grandfathered in to new legislation just like other cool popular dangerous things, ie alcohol and tobacco.

*Remember the yamaha motobot? Nothing about it actually requires there to be an anthropomorphic dummy sat on the bike, that's only a thing so they can easily have it operate any existing machine (and even then it doesn't need to look human, that's all about style and marketing). It'd take some R&D effort, but control actuators and sensors could be hidden away on a more or less regular looking bike to allow it to be ridden as normal but also ride itself.

Don't ask me what happens when you try to wrestle with the steering motor though.

I bet you a ton of people would buy "safe" motorcycles if they operates themselves. They will come with a selfie stick and a Vegan synth-leather jacket.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

by that time, motorcycles will be illegal because they can't be made self-driving and no companies will insure you.

get your carbed r1 today

They won't be illegal but you're 100% right about the insurance because...

Chichevache posted:

I bet you a ton of people would buy "safe" motorcycles if they operates themselves. They will come with a selfie stick and a Vegan synth-leather jacket.

...he's 100% right about self riding bikes and the implied market changes.

e:

Don't ask me what happens when you try to wrestle with the steering motor though.[/sub]

Lol if you think the bars would be anything other than decorative. There'll be a manual override where spindly foldable controls come out somewhere but the electric motor will be limited to 25km/h and the instrument cluster (aka facebook display) will be filled with a flashing red PULL OVER WHEN SAFE message. Then once you switch off it won't start again for safety purposes.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 7, 2016

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
2025: Marquez disqualified from MotoGP after post crash investigation reveals that computer was driving all along

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

On the Italian scale of reliability how bad is an MV?

Italian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The only thing that gets me hard anymore is youtubes of straight piped MV F4s