Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I don't know if I should just lower my expectations for it, but I am still not feeling King's Batman. It's not bad, I'd totally be down for trade waiting on it, but compared to Vision and Grayson, it just doesn't feel like "I need to read this as it comes out" good. I'll probably give it one more shot.

Green Arrow on the other hand I'm loving. Nothing much happened and Ollie losing his company/money feels like it happens every other week but as far as "setting up the next arc" issues go it worked fine and it continues to give side/supporting characters stuff to do despite being a solo book.

Not a bad week for DC for me. Flinstones and Green Arrow were great, Justice League was all good, Batman was okay, and only Green Lanterns had me disappointed.

(Didn't read Superman but honestly as well written as I'm sure it is, I'm just not that interested in Superdad. I'm not that interested in Super anything.)

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I admit that I didn't follow N52 Superbro very much so I don't know if he occasionally acted as inspirational and uplifting as Clark does in this book

Check out Greg Pak's first Action Comics trade. It's pretty nice in that respect.

e: and right after losing his powers and secret identity the comic was all like...

ee: Can 'Superbro' please not stick.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 7, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
SuperBro feels weird to me because his Morrison Y1 series doesn't feel like it lines up with his cocky JL Punchguy depiction.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a bigger fan of Superman than Aquaman and Batman put together, but I literally cannot understand the opinion that Tomasi's Superman is the best book in the line-up, or even better than the two books I mentioned.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
According to Bleeding Cool, these are the titles in the top 25 for advance preorder of comics, graphics novels and TPs

quote:

Publication Price Publisher
NIGHTWING #1 $2.99 DC
TITANS #1 $2.99 DC
CAPTAIN AMERICA STEVE ROGERS #3 $3.99 MAR
FLASH #3 $2.99 DC
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS REBIRTH #1 $2.99 DC
HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1 $2.99 DC
BATGIRL #1 $2.99 DC
NIGHTWING #1 VAR ED $2.99 DC
WONDER WOMAN #3 $2.99 DC
TITANS #1 VAR ED $2.99 DC
FLASH #3 VAR ED $2.99 DC
WONDER WOMAN #3 VAR ED $2.99 DC
BATGIRL #1 VAR ED $2.99 DC
CIVIL WAR II #5 (OF 7) $4.99 MAR
HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1 VAR ED $2.99 DC
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS REBIRTH #1 VAR ED $2.99 DC
DETECTIVE COMICS #937 $2.99 DC
BLACK PANTHER #2 RAHZZAH RUN JEWELS 3RD PTG VAR $3.99 MAR
WALKING DEAD TP VOL 26 CALL TO ARMS (MR) $14.99 IMA
ACTION COMICS #960 $2.99 DC
CIVIL WAR II CHOOSING SIDES #5 (OF 6) PEREZ VAR $3.99 MAR
JIM HENSON LABYRINTH 30TH ANNIV SPECIAL #1 FOC VAR $9.99 BOO
ACTION COMICS #960 VAR ED $2.99 DC
BLACK PANTHER #4 $3.99 MAR
DETECTIVE COMICS #937 VAR ED $2.99 DC

Nothing bad for DC

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

I'm still not feeling Batman at all yet. The inclusion Gotham/Gotham Girl to Gotham has left me weird combo of interested, yet apathetic; having them there is an interesting idea, but I just really can't find myself to care yet.

Justice League is dull and the art is awful.

Green Lanterns is garbage. What feels like half the issue is thought boxes telling us how the character feels (the talk with her sister when the art manages to get worse is fine, though), which is redundant when we went over the stuff stuff like Jessica's agoraphobia, and Baz's personality in the first issue. The issue that came out 3 weeks ago and is more than likely readily available in stores (and online!) DC really needs recap pages for this kind of thing so, so badly.

Superman is fantastic and I am absolutely adoring Superdad :3:

Green Arrow is also fantastic, the art is absolutely amazing.

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 7, 2016

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Picked up the two part hardcovers for All Star Superman, and you can understand why Mark Waid left for Marvel when he signs his foreward "Who Really Has Read Every Superman Story And Never One Better"

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Has Waid ever had an ongoing Superman run? He nails the character in Kingdom Come

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Veg posted:

Has Waid ever had an ongoing Superman run? He nails the character in Kingdom Come

Does Birthright count?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr. Oz will reveal the big secret behind Superman is that he's actually Popeye.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Veg posted:

Not really. He mostly just did one offs. There was a brief bit during Identity Crisis where he wrote like 3 interconnected Superman comics across multiple titles, that's it though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mr. Oz will reveal the big secret behind Superman is that he's actually Popeye.

🎼 I'm real strong in a fight
Unless there's kryptonite—
I'm Clark Kent the Su-per-man!
toot toot 🎵

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

According to Bleeding Cool, these are the titles in the top 25 for advance preorder of comics, graphics novels and TPs

Nothing bad for DC

Well no, there's lots of bad DC there.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Madkal posted:

If you don't laugh in Gotham you would cry. Or possibly die. Most likely die. While laughing.

So basically the Joker's actually trying to do a good public service for Gotham and no one understands him but his Harley.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Does Birthright count?

I think Waid, Busiek and Morrison especially do a good job with Superman.

Waid's Birthright
Busiek's Secret Identity
and Morrison's All Star Superman

Those are part of my essential Superman stuff. Paul Cornell did a great job though, that grinning couch sitting Darkseid rules.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Veg posted:

No, and I think that's part of the reason he left. I remember him complaining about always getting passed up for the Superman books.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

🎼 I'm real strong in a fight
Unless there's kryptonite—
I'm Clark Kent the Su-per-man!
toot toot 🎵

Jimmy Olsen:

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a photograph today"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone who misses Aaron Kuder from Pak's Action Comics, he's doing an X-Men event with Charles Soule and Jeff Lemire.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/07/marvels-death-x-mutants-inhuman
It's the DC ex-es show!

e: Watchmen/DC logos appear on official merch.
http://www.newsarama.com/30035-watchmen-collides-with-batman-superman-wonder-woman-in-comic-con-exclusive.html

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 7, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

gently caress this and gently caress DC. Just when they buildup goodwill with Rebirth they pull poo poo like this.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That needs to go in the PYF Schadenfreude thread, just for making me imagine what Original Writer must be thinking. :allears:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm sorry, what's the big deal? Who cares?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

gently caress this and gently caress DC. Just when they buildup goodwill with Rebirth they pull poo poo like this.

Were you not expecting them to follow up on that?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Were you not expecting them to follow up on that?

I was really loving hoping I could just pretend it never happened, yes, considering I actually like Rebirth so far.

There's virtually no chance that DC will do right by any aspect of Watchmen and all of the Watchmen poo poo in Rebirth 1 - an otherwise okay book - was loving atrocious. DC doesn't know how to use or write Watchmen, Before Watchmen was ignorable at best, and Rebirth was a good Wally story burdened with awful Watchmen poo poo.

And it's more like considering how much and how repeatedly DC has aggressively screwed Moore out of rights to the book he loving co-created, such mercenary commercialization of central imagery of the book itself is yet another slap in the face. The Watchmen poo poo is a way to sell comics - just like everything else that happens in comics, true - but it's never been so blatant or crass as here.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

I'm sorry, what's the big deal? Who cares?

Yeah, I don't really see a problem here. It's an ongoing story. It would be stupid not to do something along these lines.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Man I hope this is one of the 52 earths

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Madkal posted:

Man I hope this is one of the 52 earths

And this is another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

I was really loving hoping I could just pretend it never happened, yes, considering I actually like Rebirth so far.

There's virtually no chance that DC will do right by any aspect of Watchmen and all of the Watchmen poo poo in Rebirth 1 - an otherwise okay book - was loving atrocious. DC doesn't know how to use or write Watchmen, Before Watchmen was ignorable at best, and Rebirth was a good Wally story burdened with awful Watchmen poo poo.

And it's more like considering how much and how repeatedly DC has aggressively screwed Moore out of rights to the book he loving co-created, such mercenary commercialization of central imagery of the book itself is yet another slap in the face. The Watchmen poo poo is a way to sell comics - just like everything else that happens in comics, true - but it's never been so blatant or crass as here.

They can slap him in the face as much as they want, they'll never get through that beard.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

WickedHate posted:

That needs to go in the PYF Schadenfreude thread, just for making me imagine what Original Writer must be thinking. :allears:

I'd wager he doesn't give a single solitary poo poo. He's got some masterwork new novel out and the country's going to hell in a handbasket, I doubt it'll even appear on his radar. If anything, all it would do is provide further proof he's right about DC being creatively bankrupt still flogging a long dead horse.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean I feel bad for the unfortunate edgelord who would buy one of those shirts but still

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Their the same, Watchmen Babies is clearly the prequel to the cartoon.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BrianWilly posted:

I mean I feel bad for the unfortunate edgelord who would buy one of those shirts but still

I would buy a shirt with the new Batman logo on it but someone got blood all over this one. No thank you.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 7, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Shirts seem fine? I rather like the Batman one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

I would buy a shirt with the new Batman logo on it but someone got blood all over this one. No thank you.

It's not blood. It's bean juice.

Human bean juice.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Of all of the horribly lovely practices of the comic book industry, I think printing t-shirts ranks pretty low here.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The shirts look fine and expecting the major plot point of Rebirth to not appear in any of the major books or in the marketing is stupid. That's like buying Superman #2 this week and then giving out as soon as you see that Lois is in it. You knew what you signed up for.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I enjoy the idea that this could be an actual cartoon in the Watchmen universe that Ozymandias creates as a propaganda tool after the comic story ends.

Also, I just noticed the date on the video. 2009? Wow. I remember when it came out and it doesn't seem quite so long ago, but I guess the Watchmen movie was 2008, wasn't it?

Karnith
Jul 9, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoy the idea that this could be an actual cartoon in the Watchmen universe that Ozymandias creates as a propaganda tool after the comic story ends.

Also, I just noticed the date on the video. 2009? Wow. I remember when it came out and it doesn't seem quite so long ago, but I guess the Watchmen movie was 2008, wasn't it?
It came out in 2009. That video was released at basically the same time as the movie.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone please explain to me how a Flintstones comic can be this good, without simply stating "It's a livin''?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Can someone please explain to me how a Flintstones comic can be this good'?

Have you read Prez?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Crabtree posted:

Can someone please explain to me how a Flintstones comic can be this good, without simply stating "It's a livin''?

The original Flintstones cartoon was a honeymooner ripoff that dealt with some societal problems in a world modeled after post war America. It really isn't surprising that a modern take on the Flintstones is an update of this.