Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Vanilla magplar is puncturing sweeps = Dmg + Self heal. The House(tm) is basically setting up one of the rune morphs and a purify. I run a lizplar so I use the Magicka rune since I get a lot on self heal any way. The sacred ground passive gives you major mending from the cleansing ritual or rune morphs. You have a short timer where you can leave your House and still have the buffs, meaning you can circle strafe if you want, coming back across the rune to refresh the buffs.

Nova morphs can be part of the House thing.

Radiant morphs can be set up to self heal or scale off available Magicka. It's an execute which means that it's damage goes up 350% on targets with less than 50% health. It can't be dodged. PvP is now basically like Star Wars with beams everywhere all the time.

Ritual of Retribution cleanses, does damage, buffs, is a HoT and creates a synergy for cleansing and healing other players. Extended ritual cleanses more effects, but is not a DoT.

Repentance buffs regen when slotted and is a free heal/Stam regen for anyone in range when used.

There are other magplar builds which are viable, but not as straight forward. They are fun. Dark Flare basically works like a ranged Wrecking Blow... Only with Wrecking Blow they split Empower from the CC. Dark Flare both debuffs healing (Defile) and gives Empower. When I am dps spec mine consistently hit for about 20k+ in PvE.

A troll PvP build is BeamPlar. Soul Strike, Radiant (Jesus Beam) and Malubeth. Soul Strike does a fair amount of damage and slows. Some sweeps or just straight into Beam. Malubeth is just troll effect given that it is currently pretty broken. I add the vamp drain, both because it can morph to generate ULT (and soul strike is cheap) and because it is a fear a Templar vamp can use. I often just hit it and cancel for the fear. Javelin, (entropy/bane... Even flare) Soul Strike, Beam for instance. Might not kill them, but definitely gets there attention from range.

Vamping up can also give you a source of mobility from Mist, though it has drawback. Some people run bow builds so they get expedition from the bow passive.

For leveling Explosive Charge is pretty hilarious fun. Toppling is probably better for pvp due to crowd control. Javelin can also be ridiculously fun in PvP, knocking people of horses, throwing them around, etc. Shard morphs don't add much to dps, but are great utility for others and Blazing Spear has a nice stun.

Purifying light is just an amazing force multiplier in groups.

Eclipse (morphs) can be great. It is possible to make a build that times off of various delayed explosions. Fiddly to actually run, but a lot of fun. It is about a 6 second cycle so it's easy to get wrong, but kind of hilarious when it works.

And of course Breath of Life is really the best burst heal in the game.

There are a few ways to buff spells. Entropy and Mage light from Mages. If combined with Meteor on a bar you start to get some good advantage from the passives. Casting Entropy gives you a spell damage buff and empowers your next attack (from passive). You can get Prophecy (crit buff) from Mage Light or the Sun Fire morphs, which are also a slow that can help with landing sweeps.

In my experience thus far magplar is the only class that can really make multiple builds using only class abilities, with maybe a guild ability slotted here or there if you want. You don't actually need to run staves or use any weapon abilities and can just run DW or Sword n board for the buffs.

None of this even touches on Blazing Shield builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
poo poo all this about mag Templars is good to hear, I've been enjoying the one I've been leveling thus far and it's always nice to enjoy a setup that isn't inherently bad or something.

Just a side question about group healing, is there any mechanic to pick who I use abilities on? So far when the tank or someone gets low in the dungeons I've run it just turns into me spamming heals until one of them actually activates on the person with low hp. I also could just be an awful healer.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My primary interest in a magplar would be PvP stuff, as a nuke platform or a CC shitler, so that's all good to read.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

ComradeBigT posted:

poo poo all this about mag Templars is good to hear, I've been enjoying the one I've been leveling thus far and it's always nice to enjoy a setup that isn't inherently bad or something.

Just a side question about group healing, is there any mechanic to pick who I use abilities on? So far when the tank or someone gets low in the dungeons I've run it just turns into me spamming heals until one of them actually activates on the person with low hp. I also could just be an awful healer.

"Smart" healing... No way to target friendlies. It selects for you.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Orv posted:

My primary interest in a magplar would be PvP stuff, as a nuke platform or a CC shitler, so that's all good to read.

In that case just keep rolling stam because the current meta is perma-root/perma-snare and a bowtard stamsorc is probably best for that.

Also :laffo: at one of Fengrush's cronies gettin permabanned for leaping into keeps and bragging about it.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Just broke level 17 with a Redguard nightblade, did a marathon run to Wayrest because I've been working as a tank, focusing on sword and board and heavy armor things, and I'm already seeing issues with running dungeons (ie I kept getting eaten by spiders and couldn't heal fast enough) so it's time to respec, but I can't decide if I should be changing skills to suit being a stamina focused nightblade, or overhaul the whole thing.

Someone tell me how to best play stamina nightblade, or if I should switch to magicka.
qe

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 8, 2016

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
I made a SLIGHT MISCALCULATION on making glyphs this morning.

Now is a great time if you need them for deconning or whatever! Please take them from the guild bank, please oh god please (and I have more, so PLEASE...)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hey ennuid I ran into a dude who made Pelinal's Aptitude work this morning. Ran Vet City of Ash with 3 DPS and a Healer (he was the healer).

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Orv posted:

It is regrettable that I've done all this 'work' on this sorc and every time i go grind some other class does something cool while I'm watching. Magicka templar seemed like the most interesting though.

Sorc has Overload though. Or at least, Magicka Sorc does. Ditto with that "turn you into lightning" skill that makes a crash of thunder in the background.

There's something intensely satisfying about just rolling into a group of enemies, slinging (nearly instakill) lightning bolts everywhere, all while your every fifth footstep causes a crash of thunder like you're some sort of fantasy storm god.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Archonex posted:

Sorc has Overload though. Or at least, Magicka Sorc does. Ditto with that "turn you into lightning" skill that makes a crash of thunder in the background.

There's something intensely satisfying about just rolling into a group of enemies, slinging (nearly instakill) lightning bolts everywhere, all while your every fifth footstep causes a crash of thunder like you're some sort of fantasy storm god.

I have found most of the Stam builds I have tried really satisfying at various points. I have yet to find pvp satisfying in the ways i really want. (E.g. I am bad and seem to mostly insta die. Anyone who has run dungeons with me though knows I am old and mostly just slowly run around in confusion randomly pressing buttons so it's not surprising.)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Fuuuuuuck you wrobel. You loving nerfed Redguards.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Scyantific posted:

Ah gently caress what happened? Updated patch notes?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
:siren:PSA for people wanting the Imperial Edition, GreenManGaming has it for $29.99 with an additional 20% off bringing it down to $23.99
https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited-imperial-edition/#b

Coupon: JULY20

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

Ah gently caress what happened? Updated patch notes?

The Adrenaline Rush passive is getting its cooldown increased because "data showed it to be too strong"

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Scyantific posted:

Orc still best. Orc always best! I run fast!

( Literally everyone went Redguards, every guide said to go Redguard, and everyone said Redguard was the only Stam class worth considering. Something had to give. )

e: Also lol, Mages Wrath scales entirely off of Spell Power not Magicka apparently, so people are realizing Pelinal's StamSorcs can get a "Stam" Execute.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 9, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
For anyone that wants the statue/cool as gently caress artbook, you can get ESO:Imperial on Xbox One for $75 (if you have Gamer Club Unlocked, take an additional 20% off down to $61-63 with free shipping). Sell the game for $25-30 on eBay (maybe more, I don't know, no one is selling them).

The artbook is actually really cool. Leather bound and everything.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 9, 2016

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Can I get an add to the goon EB guild? @the_milkman

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
Could I also get a guild invite? @Zelmel

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Bonapartisan posted:

I made a SLIGHT MISCALCULATION on making glyphs this morning.

Now is a great time if you need them for deconning or whatever! Please take them from the guild bank, please oh god please (and I have more, so PLEASE...)

I deconstructed them all. Thanks my enchanting went up 15 levels.

menpoop
Jul 29, 2004

Girls aren't the only ones who take dumps, you know...
Can I get an invite for @bli_nk please

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Warning: delusional theorycrafting happening. Really delusional since I am already working on it.

Ok, so last night in pvp we could have used Sorc Negate monkey. I was running transmutation on my magplar which I think is really useful, especially for those who have not made impen focused builds for pvp, but now I want to turn Stam Sorc fat cat into a Negate monkey and think I can do so without ruining him for PvE (he certainly can't become much more useless).

1- switch from WW to vamp for invigorating drain... A useful pvp fear and generates ULT.
2- heroic slash from S&B, which when combined with a bash/interrupt weave is a pretty awesome spammable in its own right and generates ULT (maybe Carve, though 2H means no Potentates on that bar.)
3- find other stuff (like Mephala's) that matches well with more light or heavy attacks than I might normally do.
4- Blessing of the Potentates is the only gear I can seem to find that effects ULT cost directly at cp160 and apparently it is very rare. I dont even know which boxes I should start wasting AP on to have a chance at it. (which boxes should I start wasting AP on to have a chance at it?)
5- Sorc passive Power Stone for ULT cost reduction.
6- Combat Frenzy from AvA
7- erm... Actually run Decisive on weapons. Yup. Possibly run some sort of Cowardice combo poison in order to win the ULT war.

I have only found two sets that directly effect ULT (Akaviri and Werewolf), but neither come in cp160 it seems. I have thought about getting them and just running them anyway since they should be cheap, but I can't find them. Deconned no doubt.

I suppose I could run Tava's Favor (craftable, dodges generate ULT) and also min/max Dodge/Evasion via shuffle, etc.? Skirmishers? Way of Air? Eternal Hunt? Roll in. ULT. Roll out?

(One thing is that since it is not actually min/maxing dps, but ULT gen, (which doesn't scale to Dmg) it could actually be a hybrid build and use some of the Sorc Magicka skills for CC and general nuisance that Stam Sorcs don't generally use. I dunno, what are things that optimize the number of attacks, rather than the dps and such. Hell, I suppose I could even try running staves of some sort on one bar so I would also have hybrid sustain. I probably won't do any of that.)

Was thinking Mephala's and undaunted webs might be amusing to keep people in the ULT field. You know... fat-Stam-cat-Sorc-ULT-negate-monkey-vamp is actually spider man. (Though Maw of the Infernal or Skoria probably more practical.)

I was thinking of maybe running War Horn on one bar and Negate on the other.

Ok. It's a bad idea. Yes I know it used to be better and easier to min/max ults. Yes, it would probably be better in other classes. It might be better on a Magicka Sorc. What else can I do to make it worse along these lines? How do I best make fat cat a negate (ULT) monkey?

I know I must be missing some ULT min/max things. Any suggestions beyond what a stupid waste of time this build is?

What sets or gear take best advantage of spamming/weaving a lot of light/heavy attacks?

Sogol fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 9, 2016

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Sogol posted:

Ultimate.

What sets or gear take best advantage of spamming/weaving a lot of light/heavy attacks?

Just to clarify, lights and heavies don't directly generate ult, instead they give you Major Heroism (3 ult per second) for 8 seconds. Additional light and heavy attacks only refresh the 8 second duration. You could also get Major Heroism from healing (need to actually heal) someone who already has it.

Some other options: Blood Spawn gives you 15 ult for a proc, and Lover 30 gives you 2 ultimate for activating a synergy. There's plenty of enemy caltrops out there for safely activating Blood Spawn, and plenty of Purifying Rituals for synergies, so these might work. You could also use Carve for your Minor Heroism instead of Heroic Slash, but then you wouldn't have Brawler and that way lies madness.

With regards to light/heavy attacks, you can use Elegance which gives a straight 20% bonus (although this is additive with damage racials). But, really, occasional weaving is plenty to keep Major Heroism active, so this is probably not the right direction.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

tgidieday posted:

Just to clarify, lights and heavies don't directly generate ult, instead they give you Major Heroism (3 ult per second) for 8 seconds. Additional light and heavy attacks only refresh the 8 second duration. You could also get Major Heroism from healing (need to actually heal) someone who already has it.

Some other options: Blood Spawn gives you 15 ult for a proc, and Lover 30 gives you 2 ultimate for activating a synergy. There's plenty of enemy caltrops out there for safely activating Blood Spawn, and plenty of Purifying Rituals for synergies, so these might work. You could also use Carve for your Minor Heroism instead of Heroic Slash, but then you wouldn't have Brawler and that way lies madness.

With regards to light/heavy attacks, you can use Elegance which gives a straight 20% bonus (although this is additive with damage racials). But, really, occasional weaving is plenty to keep Major Heroism active, so this is probably not the right direction.
Thanks.

Yeh, I am on the hunt for blood spawn shoulders. Have the head. Probably run well fitted engine guardian until I get them.

I had forgotten that about Major Heroism. So an 8 second cycle for Major, 9 seconds for Minor. Vamp invigorating Drain is just direct. I have already started the madness with a Skirmishers Decisive Mace which was of course incredibly cheap, because who wants that garbage anyway? Rings and neck are another matter though and I am broke for the time being.

I am thinking of running 5 Skirmishers (weapons and jewelry), 5 Tava's and Blood Spawn. All well fitted. Then interchange rolls and streaks for mobility.

It's bad and I am bad. It will take a while to grind up the gold for it though. I am broke from trying to equip 5 chars at once with no idea what I am doing.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

You pretty much nailed my stam sorc theorycraft on the head, except I pretty much lost interest in trying to get it to work because I was having too much of a good time on my stamplar.

Also once Update 11 drops Akaviri Dragonguard gear will be updated and drop from Hel Ra Citadel so we'll have to make some runs for those pieces. I need them as well for my lizard tank and my saptank so I am definitely going to be grinding that trial hard for drops.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I just picked this up, currently level 20 orc nightbrade. Got two friends in on it too. Could I get an invite to the guild? I'm @shraigon

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Do you guys think that they'll update the UI aesthetic of the game to fit ESVI? Because I can't loving wait for that day. Skyrim's UI was ugly and this is worse.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I mean, TESVI is like two or three years away or whatever so who knows. Also you are making a huge leap in thinking TESVI will have a better UI.

edit: also ESO's UI is pretty serviceable with add-ons, what are you doing, playing with controller?

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Do you guys think that they'll update the UI aesthetic of the game to fit ESVI? Because I can't loving wait for that day. Skyrim's UI was ugly and this is worse.

Berke Negri posted:

edit: also ESO's UI is pretty serviceable with add-ons, what are you doing, playing with controller?

As a dude who uses a controller for combat and travel I agree that the controller UI is poo poo-rear end hot garbage. BUT WAIT! There are addons!

Alex, if you really are using a pad in this game for the love of all that is good and pure in this world get this addon and bind it to a hotkey http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1276-DisableControllerUI.html. Toggle that poo poo when you load in and BAM! You can now use m+kb for everything not fighting or moving around like a real man and have a wonderful functional UI to work with.

Note: it fucks up crafting stations for some dumb reason so just toggle off before you decon/research/whatever at a bench.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I appreciate it but I meant the horrible two tone gradient bars and the minimalist design that was put into Skyrim and carried over here.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I think I may be one of the few that actually really likes the default UI, I like the subtle minimalism of it, I do use srendarr buff bars but more as a convenience thing so I know when to recast a buff since that isn't as noticeable until it actually falls off.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
There is an add on for preselected add on load outs. I use it a lot. I have character specific load outs, crafting load outs, dungeon load outs, pvp load outs, questing load outs, grinding load outs, load outs to look at combat logs, minimalist load outs and load outs that look like I am flying a space ship. Sometimes I even remember to use them appropriately.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
OP mentions some goon population Daggerfall side. Anyone play on that allegiance? It looks like it has a better feel than Ebonheart. Maybe that's because of the lack of slaver elves. Also it looks like Argonians are going to keep their healing received AND get a bonus to healing done?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

OP mentions some goon population Daggerfall side. Anyone play on that allegiance? It looks like it has a better feel than Ebonheart. Maybe that's because of the lack of slaver elves. Also it looks like Argonians are going to keep their healing received AND get a bonus to healing done?

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person left who picked Daggerfall.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

Pick Ebonheart and go do Daggerfall content once you've hit max level.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
My first character was DC and I continue to play him. He is my main crafter. I spend a lot more time on EP though due to the goon population (admittedly that is probably poor judgment on my part).

For dungeons it does not matter, you can cross faction. With the next update it won't matter anywhere as far as I understand because of the whole One Tamriel thing. The only place it will really matter is PvP, which is waaaay more fun with a group and on discord or some such.

The game is currently very alt friendly. After you take whatever time you want to run content, explore, smell the flowers, etc. and get a character to 50 and functionally geared, creating a second character and getting it to 50 can be very fast if you want.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
Fair enough. Thanks!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I just started the game and am in Daggerfell since I'm playing with friends. I've got a lvl 13 redguard dragonknight. Is there anything specific I should be focusing on for the character? I've been doing 2handed mainly and just did a dungeon as sword/board to start working on some tanking skills. It looks like I can re-do all my skill points later so I can't gently caress it up that bad. Just keep on newbing on and worry about it at 50?

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Someone toss a guild invite over @Infovorr, please.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I would like an invite on @Almacia also, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
My first char was DC because thats what goons picked at launch. Personally I think DC has the most boring areas to quest through. The Redguard areas are pretty cool though.

• Locked thread