Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Air is lava! posted:

That theory is contradicted in Mighty Thor itself. In some panel she's just standing there, looking angry at his political speech.
And of course she would be aware of this stuff she lives on earth and that is basically the top news story.

Maybe since he hasn't committed any recent crimes on Midgard and she can't just go out and attack him because that would technically be a political assault and might only make him more famous.

It's really not that difficult to track Loki down at this point, but Thor is out of her jurisdiction and the Asgardians can't be bothered to leave their little god dimension.

I actually like this book a lot. Loki just goes with the flow and is basically untouchable. And I hope everyone is so preoccupied with their minority reports that they wont bother top stop him. I want president Loki as the new status quo. And I can't wait till he wants to build a wall around space, to keep the illegal aliens out.

...are Svaðilfari and Hrimthurs a thing in the Marvel Universe?
EDIT: Apparently they are.

I dropped Vote Loki after issue 1 because I wasn't a fan of the art style and the writing wasn't quite fun enough to keep me in.

But I do hope that it concludes with President Loki and every other series that even touches politics for the next few years has to recognize that the POTUS is Loki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xinder posted:

I dropped Vote Loki after issue 1 because I wasn't a fan of the art style and the writing wasn't quite fun enough to keep me in.

But I do hope that it concludes with President Loki and every other series that even touches politics for the next few years has to recognize that the POTUS is Loki.

If Donald Trump wins Marvel will just have 4-8 years of president Loki instead.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

PantsOptional posted:

It was exactly what everyone who wasn't screaming about it on Tumblr predicted: Red Skull fuckery. They're dealing with it in the current story arc.

That's stupid. Thought they said it wasn't a hallucination or mind fuckery or a simulacrum or whatever

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
iirc, they managed to use very exact wording in what it "wasn't" so that they didn't technically lie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, I don't really think Marvel would really get behind a Hillary presidency like they did with Obama, either, beyond token "Mrs. President" mentions here or there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ImpAtom posted:

No Donald Trump meets Ms Marvel issue? Donald Trump meets Miles?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

And it's not like creators never lie, either. It's all part of the balance between advertising your work and writing a good story that manages to engages and surprise your audience. Hickman at one point said outright that Rabum Alal was an entirely new character in an interview.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

And it's not like creators never lie, either. It's all part of the balance between advertising your work and writing a good story that manages to engages and surprise your audience. Hickman at one point said outright that Rabum Alal was an entirely new character in an interview.

It was also blatantly telegraphed in that issue and also the issue were Cap gets deaged.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Calaveron posted:

That's stupid. Thought they said it wasn't a hallucination or mind fuckery or a simulacrum or whatever

No, they said it wasn't a clone or dupe and that it was not mind control.

Which it isn't, it's history and reality being rewritten scarlet witch style. People interpreted that for no reason as "this is not a twist and there's no explanation, it's literally a retcon of 75 years because Nick Spencer hates America"

People getting angry that Spencer and Breevort wouldn't casually spoil their brand new story in an interview to appease people yelling at them on Twitter are insane.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JoshTheStampede posted:

Which it isn't, it's history and reality being rewritten scarlet witch style. People interpreted that for no reason as "this is not a twist and there's no explanation, it's literally a retcon of 75 years because Nick Spencer hates Jews"

FTFY.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Gotta throw a vaguely progressive gloss over it or people might figure out that the complaint is about a walking Not All White People being used to communicate Yes, Potentially All White People.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I don't care how they explain it away, I still think it was a dumb idea to do this to Steve in the first place.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Xinder posted:

I don't care how they explain it away, I still think it was a dumb idea to do this to Steve in the first place.

Like the story or don't but they aren't "explaining it away". The story was written long before anyone complained, they aren't walking it back or changing it no matter how much people want to think their complaints changed things.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Idle thought on Riri Williams / Iron Girl.

Know who might have an interesting perspective on a young woman of color who is self-taught in science and robotics, skips school to pursue that, builds her own armored suit, and is entering the cape game at a very young age?

Tilda Johnson, formerly Deadly Nightshade, currently the new Nighthawk's reformed tech support.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Xinder posted:

So something that Red Skull has been trying to do to Steve since the cosmic cube has been introduced?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

So something that Red Skull has been trying to do to Steve since the cosmic cube has been introduced?

And which Jack Kirby had him do to Cap in the 70s.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

bobkatt013 posted:

That doesn't make it any less dumb, it just means it's been a consistent plot point.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of Wanda, that Scarlet Witch issue was pretty good. It wasn't actiony or all crazy magical, but just Wanda going to see a shrink and discussing her issues. Though it implied that Wanda and her sons don't really have any kind of relationship, but Billy has been shown to have a pretty good relationship with Wanda to a point where he's comfortable going to her for help or wedding plans.

Though I'm curious of what her reaction will be when she finds out Vision's wife was based off her.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

This might be the dumbest misunderstanding of the character I've ever seen.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nobby posted:

Gotta throw a vaguely progressive gloss over it or people might figure out that the complaint is about a walking Not All White People being used to communicate Yes, Potentially All White People.

That's actually the first time I've seen that pointed out, now that you mention it, likely that it was what Spencer was going for. The fact that absolutely everybody hated it, from Trumpers to people posting Valerie Solanas quotes on facebook speaks to how well loved Captain America is.

Xinder posted:

Well, quite a few people have been pointing out that Kirby often did storylines where Cap was brainwashed by Nazis, but usually that was reverted by the end of the issue. And Spencer isn't Kirby. But I think the fact that the timing (and yes, we all know this stuff is planned out way in advance) and Brevoort and Spencer's reaction makes it seem like they were actively trolling newer fans who came in by way of the movies and haven't quite learned how things work in cape comic town is an important point too, whether you agree with it or not.

CapnAndy posted:

The three of you need to be reading Ultimates.

I'll get around to it, I'm just super behind on everything and due to a major improvement in my finances, on an omnibus buying spree. I just bought the Busiek/Perez Avengers and Hawkeye and now I'm trying to decide whether I should buy Perez's Wonder Woman or Sleeper. I'll probably just end up buying both, and I still have to keep up with the Shang Chi omnis oh god

WickedHate posted:

Well, kind of. Galactus is the original cosmic thug, even if he had lofty noble goals attributed to him eventually. In the spirit of the original story he was still very much "holy poo poo big space guy wants to destroy our planet". The Celestials are more true to being above that role.

I don't really mean that he shouldn't be a looming physical threat, it's more that I don't like it when characters like him and Thanos are reduced to being something the Avengers punch out on the way to the real story. However I don't even mind when Galactus is used in a humorous way - He was cool in Squirrel Girl, for example.

Nilbop posted:

I really wish they'd just drop it. Maybe it's something Americans find interesting and exotic but it always seemed eye-rollingly goofy to me, like someone saying "Zounds!" or whatever.

It's never even been consistent, either. The Asgardians really go light on talking like this in Walt Simonson's run. They mostly speak plain English, but with the rare "thee", "thou" or "thy". They should go with that

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 7, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Death of X revealed.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/07/marvels-death-x-mutants-inhuman
The most notable thing is that it's Aaron Kuder's first job since Greg Pak's Action Comics. He's amazing.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Death of X revealed.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/07/marvels-death-x-mutants-inhuman
The most notable thing is that it's Aaron Kuder's first job since Greg Pak's Action Comics. He's amazing.

He's great at drawing monsters, I'd like to see him launch his own fantasy comic or do something for the Mignolaverse or the like. The likes of Dr. Strange or Thor would be a good fit for him too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Lord posted:

Well, quite a few people have been pointing out that Kirby often did storylines where Cap was brainwashed by Nazis, but usually that was reverted by the end of the issue.

Well, that's more a result of how the lengths of single arcs have expanded since.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

twistedmentat posted:

Though I'm curious of what her reaction will be when she finds out Vision's wife was based off her.
She has to have figured that one out, hasn't she? I mean, she gave Vision her brain patterns herself, when he shows up with a synthezoid wife it shouldn't be a terribly hard guess for her as to who she's based off of.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lightning Lord posted:

That's actually the first time I've seen that pointed out, now that you mention it, likely that it was what Spencer was going for. The fact that absolutely everybody hated it, from Trumpers to people posting Valerie Solanas quotes on facebook speaks to how well loved Captain America

Not everyone hated it. A vocal minority from both sides of the political spectrum hated it.

Most people probably quietly realized it was issue 1 of a new story and maybe they should see where it goes before firebombing Nick Spencer about it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Odinson's getting a comic from Aaron and Coipel. The Unworthy Thor.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-original-god-of-thunder-is-back-and-ready-to-prove-1783289116

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes! Beautiful!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Well there's that Ultimjolnir.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

Not everyone hated it. A vocal minority from both sides of the political spectrum hated it.

Most people probably quietly realized it was issue 1 of a new story and maybe they should see where it goes before firebombing Nick Spencer about it.

I meant that everyone on that spectrum hated it. I do indeed think a lot of people hated it, or just thought it was a bad story idea. But agreed, only a tiny minority hated it enough to flip out or send threats.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

I meant that everyone on that spectrum hated it. I do indeed think a lot of people hated it, or just thought it was a bad story idea. But agreed, only a tiny minority hated it enough to flip out or send threats.

I think it comes down to the way people consume/respond to stories more than it does political affiliation.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I just wonder what the response to Caps death would have been if Twitter was popular then.

Or of Twitter had been around when Bucky was revived as a Soviet assassin, a character assassination that took a lot longer than one issue to be explained.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aaron is constantly going from strength to strength with Thor. His work feels like Brubaker's Captain America to me, in terms of becoming the reference point for the character, moving forward.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

I just wonder what the response to Caps death would have been if Twitter was popular then.

Or of Twitter had been around when Bucky was revived as a Soviet assassin, a character assassination that took a lot longer than one issue to be explained.

People hated the Bucky thing when it first happened. It took people a while to come around to it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Nobby posted:

I think it comes down to the way people consume/respond to stories more than it does political affiliation.

Right but it was just interesting how universally reviled it was in that respect. I do think the "new readers feeling purposely insulted" aspect is more important than people credit it, has Andrew Wheeler's essay on this issue been discussed?

Squizzle posted:

Aaron is constantly going from strength to strength with Thor. His work feels like Brubaker's Captain America to me, in terms of becoming the reference point for the character, moving forward.

Simonson 2.0?

ImpAtom posted:

People hated the Bucky thing when it first happened. It took people a while to come around to it.

I remember a lot of "NO! NOT BUCKY!" on message boards, and Brubaker was a much less known quantity then, people called him all kinds of names.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I agree that a story where the white man in uniform doesn't have your best interests at heart is a bitter reality for many, but wouldn't the opposite - a story where the white man in uniform really is a flawless good guy with your best interests at heart, be just as tone-deaf?

There's an increasing number of books by and for everyone, and I want that number to go up further. But I don't think a classic "good guy goes bad" story is counter to that, or a slap in the face to the batch of fans currently coming in. I don't understand the mindset where your first comics Cap story makes you run away horrified about a last-page reveal.

"You must not read comics" is dismissive and rude but it's a response to people expressing confusion and anger at comics storytelling. And while a hashtag is harmless and fanfic is harmless at worst, the discourse really did devolve into "if you won't make Cap and Bucky boyfriends then you're a nazi" and that conflation of topics was all over both sides of the controversy.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

If they're going to give Cap a boyfriend, they should resurrect Arnie Roth and put them together. That could be very sweet.

There, I said it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Great, yes, means Aaron's sticking with FosThor. Thank god.

Lightning Lord posted:

The specific reveal was tacky as all hell, but even the issue as a whole where Hydra Cap debuted was and is a very good issue of comics. Plus, once I moved past my kneejerk reaction of thinking it was dumb as hell and actually thinking about it, it's no less weird or insane then what comics always do and have done.

Basically it was the pinnacle of the phrase "tempest in a teapot", the Hydra Cap thing.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 7, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's the first look at Riri's Iron Man armor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reminds me a bit of Rescue. I appreciate it doesn't have Iron Man Breasts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

X-O posted:

Here's the first look at Riri's Iron Man armor.

Okay, seriously. How is her hair fitting in that.

• Locked thread