Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Kibayasu posted:

Something I just noticed is that World in Conflict is still being sold on GOG despite it being removed for purchase from Steam (it's store page is still up though). If you want the likely only spiritual follow-up to Ground Control we'll ever see, buy it.

World in Conflict got removed from Steam? When did that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Instant Sunrise posted:

I wondered about that as well. I had a DRM-free version from Amazon so I never bough it on Steam, but that's still quite unusual.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

Don't know exactly when but I noticed a few months ago.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you weren't quite sure that buying GOG games and never playing them was itself a game, there's a leaderboard for the XP you're collecting by buying games you'll never get around to playing.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I really wish GOG would upload Dust: A Tale of the Wired west, Titanic: Adventure Out of Time and Lost eden. Then my nostalgia-collection can finally be completed!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Would I also enjoy the Sea Dog series if I loved Sid Meier's Pirates?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I'm a fan of Pirates! and I thought the first Sea Dogs was amazing when I played it 15+ years ago, particularly the water effects (seeing waves and sloshing water in a 3D game was a big deal at the time). Not sure how it's aged, though. (Poorly, I would imagine).

Never played the second one.

There was another game around that time (1999/2000) called Cutthroats, which was a bit more in the style of Pirates! with its top-down ship battles (though I don't think it had sword duels). The game had a lot of bugs and other problems, and was probably a solid 6/10 type game when all is said and done, but I remember enjoying it a lot for pure sandbox pirate fun (there's no story in the game), including attacking and plundering settlements; I think you could even capture and set them up as pirate towns but I may be misremembering that. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on GOG.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Vichan posted:

I really wish GOG would upload Dust: A Tale of the Wired west, Titanic: Adventure Out of Time and Lost eden. Then my nostalgia-collection can finally be completed!

I remember finding both of those at PC recycling place about a year or so ago. I regret not buying either of them. :smith:

Titanic: Adventure out of Time, though, is available to play for free here: [https://www.danielhobi.ch/taoot/] The browser version doesn't seem to run for me (it might be an issue with Firefox), but it looks like there's an offline version available for download.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Vichan posted:

Dust: A Tale of the Wired west

Published by Virgin Interactive, thus now owned by Interplay, which GOG has already signed with. Doable. Go bug them.

The other two were published by GT Interactive, and according to this, their properties are now owned by Infogrames, now the modern Atari - signed with GOG but stupid and greedy as gently caress. Not bloody likely.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 17, 2016

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Kibayasu posted:

Don't know exactly when but I noticed a few months ago.

I think Ubisoft also killed World in Conflict's MP recently.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to mention again that I have a GOG key for Spelunky, if anyone fancies it.

GoldenNugget posted:

I think Ubisoft also killed World in Conflict's MP recently.

Still seems odd - there's a significant solo campaign still, after all.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If anyone wants Gabriel Knight Anniversary Edition key PM me, otherwise I'll throw it to lurkers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Wait, does cashing in your summer sale points grant you giftable keys? Cause I don't care about any of these.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Bad Seafood posted:

Wait, does cashing in your summer sale points grant you giftable keys? Cause I don't care about any of these.
Only if you have the games already, it seems.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Here's some Spelunky:
W9E3F28C399C6D6C09

Are any of the Sherlock Holmes games any good?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Free game yo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I grabbed this, thanks

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
So if I own Pillars of Eternity on steam, I wouldn't be able to buy the DLC from GoG and use it on my steam copy, right? :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So if I own Pillars of Eternity on steam, I wouldn't be able to buy the DLC from GoG and use it on my steam copy, right? :(

Nope.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something that might've slipped by unnoticed with the Steam sale starting is that GUN is now available on GoG. It's no Red Dead Redemption, but it's still a drat fun cowboy shooter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I redeemed a Spelunky key from here before, and then got one shortly after for just making a small purchase. Well, now someone else gets free Spelunky on GOG, best roguelike platformer you'll play.

W9E3A296D18776FB4*

The "*" stands for the GOG Bingo card, which is just full of "Windows 10 doesn't run old games", "we are shutting down", and "look at this terrible game, how could they call themselves Good Games??" entries.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saoshyant posted:

I redeemed a Spelunky key from here before, and then got one shortly after for just making a small purchase. Well, now someone else gets free Spelunky on GOG, best roguelike platformer you'll play.

W9E3A296D18776FB4*

The "*" stands for the GOG Bingo card, which is just full of "Windows 10 doesn't run old games", "we are shutting down", and "look at this terrible game, how could they call themselves Good Games??" entries.

Taken, thanks.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Uhh, I know that these things haven't been fashionable for awhile but...
Here's a demo
https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

Crazy, I know!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Tafferling posted:

Uhh, I know that these things haven't been fashionable for awhile but...
Here's a demo
https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

Crazy, I know!

I had no idea that they were doing a remake of the original System Shock, but I am glad that they are and I hope that it succeeds. I think that a playable demo is a very good idea to get people to see something concrete and useful rather than just saying "give us cash for a nebulous thing".

They have gotten SS2 to run well enough on modern systems that I don't think that it needs a remake, frankly, or at the very least it doesn't need one nearly to the degree as its predecessor.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I had no idea that they were doing a remake of the original System Shock, but I am glad that they are and I hope that it succeeds. I think that a playable demo is a very good idea to get people to see something concrete and useful rather than just saying "give us cash for a nebulous thing".

They have gotten SS2 to run well enough on modern systems that I don't think that it needs a remake, frankly, or at the very least it doesn't need one nearly to the degree as its predecessor.

I think they said their next project after this would be a system shock 3

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

JustJeff88 posted:

Since SS1 is listed as coming to Xbox One, I realized I would actually pay good money for a SS2 that had controller support. I had it working pretty well on my old HTPC, but a seamless console experience would be nice.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Peas and Rice posted:

Since SS1 is listed as coming to Xbox One, I realized I would actually pay good money for a SS2 that had controller support. I had it working pretty well on my old HTPC, but a seamless console experience would be nice.

SS2 has so many sub-systems and such a huge inventory that I have a hard time seeing it on any non-Nintendo console, because those have touch screens that could be used to manage inventory. Also, I feel that FPS games are inherently better on PC due to the presence of a mouse.

Also, for some reason, when you said "seamless console experience" I remembered the console version of Thief 3 and shuddered.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This probably indicates how few newer games I play, but hot dog, do the case fans come on with the System Shock Demo. It's a pleasure to march though a modern reimagining of Citadel Station, even if I'm not sure I'll be playing the game until I have a rig that can play it a bit better.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

SS2 has so many sub-systems and such a huge inventory that I have a hard time seeing it on any non-Nintendo console, because those have touch screens that could be used to manage inventory. Also, I feel that FPS games are inherently better on PC due to the presence of a mouse.

Also, for some reason, when you said "seamless console experience" I remembered the console version of Thief 3 and shuddered.

Amusingly the only known source code available for the Dark Engine (the engine that Thief/System Shock 2 runs on) was found on a disk containing the cancelled Dreamcast System Shock 2 port.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Party Plane Jones posted:

Amusingly the only known source code available for the Dark Engine (the engine that Thief/System Shock 2 runs on) was found on a disk containing the cancelled Dreamcast System Shock 2 port.

I never knew about either of those things. I still have a functional Dreamcast, and if there were a SS2 port out there I would make a hypocrite of myself and buy it in a heartbeat.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Anyone else running into Galaxy issues like games you've had for a long time continually being marked as "new"? This has been going on for a while now but I've finally reached the point where seeing Bio Meance and others as "new" for the umpteenth time has gotten to be kind of annoying. I've tried launching the games, clicking onto their individual pages and other stuff to try to clear the settings on them but have had no luck.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sivek posted:

Anyone else running into Galaxy issues like games you've had for a long time continually being marked as "new"? This has been going on for a while now but I've finally reached the point where seeing Bio Meance and others as "new" for the umpteenth time has gotten to be kind of annoying. I've tried launching the games, clicking onto their individual pages and other stuff to try to clear the settings on them but have had no luck.

The site shows updated games under "new and updated" in your library so maybe it's related to that?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Any way to filter by extras in GOG/Galaxy? I'm looking for a new ringtone within my purchases but I really don't want to go through all of them to see which ones have soundfiles and which ones don't.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

double nine posted:

Any way to filter by extras in GOG/Galaxy? I'm looking for a new ringtone within my purchases but I really don't want to go through all of them to see which ones have soundfiles and which ones don't.

The MaGog search engine might be useful to you.

This search should show all titles that have a soundtrack: http://www.an-ovel.com/cgi-bin/magog.cgi?ver=744&scp=g&dsp=b&ord=&flt=ban~st~&opt=n&myf=ThuJul71224182016_empty_AoWsu9KjbWvLs

The main engine page is here: http://www.an-ovel.com/pages/magog.php I'm pretty sure it can be configured to filter against only your specific purchases too.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Sivek posted:

I think that I might be having that as well, but what really gets me are the games that still are showing "not yet available" in Galaxy. These are not games that just came out; they are all from years ago, but it bothers me more than it probably should that they still have games incompatible with their client.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I travel a lot and play between my work laptop and home desktop. How can I set up Pillars of Eternity saves to cloud update between the two machines. Does Galaxy support this? Any advice here?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

BadAstronaut posted:

I travel a lot and play between my work laptop and home desktop. How can I set up Pillars of Eternity saves to cloud update between the two machines. Does Galaxy support this? Any advice here?

I use SpiderOak, but you should be able to do it with Box or Dropbox, etc. Set up an account and install the app on both computers and then just set up the save folder for the game as a synced folder. I've never done this with Box or Dropbox, but If it works like the SpiderOak app, and I'm 99% sure it does, the app will upload the files anytime they are altered and then sync it with your other computer.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ok so you can actually set the save folder and just Dropbox that? That should actually work, thanks for the suggestion.
I guess for really older games that are small and don't let you choose save location you could just keep that whole thing in a Dropbox folder as only the changed files, in this case the saves, would sync?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Ok so you can actually set the save folder and just Dropbox that? That should actually work, thanks for the suggestion.
I guess for really older games that are small and don't let you choose save location you could just keep that whole thing in a Dropbox folder as only the changed files, in this case the saves, would sync?

You could also move the save folder into the Dropbox directory and create a symbolic link to it from the game's original save directory. This makes the game think it's saving the file into the normal folder when really it's going into Dropbox.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

That's correct.

I was playing Baldur's Gate on my home PC and my netbook, and wrote a little script that I could double click which copied the files into my DropBox folder when done :) This was before I realised I could set any old folder as shared.