Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Remember, the Moonlight Butterfly is ancient tech in Turn-A which caused the previous collapse of civilisation. It makes perfect sense for it (or something that will eventually become it) to be there in G-Reco.

But yeah, it really doesn't matter where G-Reco is in the UC timeline, because it's not related to UC stuff in any real way. It's not even like Turn-A where there are UC suits clearly in use throughout the show and playing an important plot role (though they do show up in a museum at the start for all of ten seconds).

The Minovsky physics of the Universal Century do play a big role in shaping G-Reco's conflicts, from the tactics used in them to the miscommunication that helps them spiral out of control. Plus, a major antagonist faction are raging UC fanboys, and another major plot point involves what the environmental collapse shown in Victory eventually led to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And I finished Thunderbolt. Jesus loving christ that was a ripper of a good show.

If I had to pin a theme to the series, it would be limits, and what happens when they break. Io Flemming is an adrenaline junkie without a conscience who is constantly pushing himself to go faster, be better and feel alive. He breaks when he finds an opponent he cannot beat. Daryl pushes the limits of what the human body can physically and psychologically take as he is tortured throughout the series. His breaking point is when he embraces violence and gives into the euphoria of being able to move again, tragically only possible through a death machine. Claudia represents the unskilled ensign forced into a command only given to her because of her social status, and she cannot take it, resorting to drug abuse to cope. Karla loses all her humanity as she carves it out of Daryl, because she is being blackmailed for her father's crimes.

Even the conflict itself can be seen as a limit. It is hardly a fight between the Federation and Zeon so much as it is an ugly side conflict between the Moore Brotherhood and the Living Dead Division, who Zeon hardly seems to care about as anything other than bullet sponges and test subjects. The Moore Brotherhood has the whole class divide going on, with the working class enlisted men holding deep grudges against the elite for letting Moore fall in the first place. The technology on display is the apex of One Year War developments, with the most powerful Gundam and Zaku models duking it out in a forgotten, strategically useless sector of space for no reason other than hatred and vengeance. The Moore Brotherhood's monetary influence in the Federation gets them the best toys to play with and they squander them on poorly thought out attacks, using the Federation reinforcements as meat shields to cover their precious Gundam.

Tonally, Jazz and Country-Pop mesh extremely well with the action onscreen. The Jazz complements the chaotic, unplanned nature of warfare to a T, while Daryl's music selections create a great tonal dissonance while he slaughters hundreds of people with a cool head. I also really liked how Daryl's music became more intense the further he slipped into aggression. He starts out listening to calming music while he snipes away, detached from the close quarters brutality, and then by the end, he's getting a psychotic rush just like Io, with music to match.

Visually, the show is definitely the most gruesome Gundam series I've watched. Great character design, and superb choreography. The show nailed how unpleasant warfare is but didn't indulge in blood and carnage. Like I mentioned above, there is a great contrast between the detached view of long range combat with Daryl's sniping, and the horrifying and brutal close quarters combat. Io using Sean as a shield while Sean is begging Daryl to shoot them both, the 1st person murder-cam of the Zaku, or the Rick Dom butchering the new recruits were standout moments for me. The show never made the violence enjoyable to watch, but it knew how to keep up the intensity. The Beam Saber incineration shot made me wince. It's a bloodless kill, so it wasn't a gross-out wince, but just a sharp pang of dread at how hosed up incineration would be.

This is a show that would make me hate Gundam if the other series in the UC fetishized warfare, which thankfully, they don't. Thunderbolt is an out and out condemnation of violence and the psychological damage it does to people. Nobody comes out of it without scars, and the ending just left me feeling sobered but extremely satisfied. It doesn't have to be a long series to make its point, and I definitely put this series near the top of best Gundam shows I have watched.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Re-reading the Origin manga is putting the Gundam bug back in me and now I want to play a game where I can fly around and gently caress up GMs while Japanese VAs shout melodramatic things. Is it worth shelling out for an import copy of Gundam Breaker 3, or should I just break out the PS3 and DWG: Reborn again? I watched the Giant Bomb quick look of GB3 and thought the suits and customization looked awesome, but it didn't seem like there was a lot of Gundam flavor between the characters all being original for the game and gunpla-themed storyline. Also I think they were just showing early missions, but they looked just like musou missions with fewer enemies and no tactical layer, which seems like it could get old quick. Any thoughts?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Randallteal posted:

Re-reading the Origin manga is putting the Gundam bug back in me and now I want to play a game where I can fly around and gently caress up GMs while Japanese VAs shout melodramatic things. Is it worth shelling out for an import copy of Gundam Breaker 3, or should I just break out the PS3 and DWG: Reborn again? I watched the Giant Bomb quick look of GB3 and thought the suits and customization looked awesome, but it didn't seem like there was a lot of Gundam flavor between the characters all being original for the game and gunpla-themed storyline. Also I think they were just showing early missions, but they looked just like musou missions with fewer enemies and no tactical layer, which seems like it could get old quick. Any thoughts?

Gundam Breaker 3 is based heavily on the Gunpla, and the combat is pretty Musou based - just replace 100 statues with 10 model kits that actually try to hit you. I personally enjoy the hell out of the game but considering i'm also big into Gunpla itself I might be a bit biased.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Randallteal posted:

Find Gundam Battle Universe for the PSP or Seed Battle Destiny for the Vita. Those always felt more Gundamy to me. The Vita game Extreme VS Force comes out in the US next week but it's kind of bad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is Gundam Thunderbolt a good show/a good show for people with no knowledge of Gundam?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is Gundam Thunderbolt a good show/a good show for people with no knowledge of Gundam?

It's very short and self contained, but there are references to the original tv series. Just watch the opening to any Gundam 0079 episode for the opening monologue, and that is all you really need to understand what is happening during the One Year War. Or just listen to this.

For a slightly more in depth take on it. Zeon declares war on the Earth Federation and starts a genocidal conflict by gassing space colonies and slamming them into the Earth's surface. Thunderbolt takes place around the colony Side 4, or Moore, which got wrecked early in the war, and only now in the final months that the Federation has the resources are the Moore colonists trying to take back their home.

Personally, I thought it was fantastic, but it is very different tonally from a mainline Gundam series. There is a seething resentment in this series for the "coolness" factor of some other shows.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 7, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Randallteal posted:

Well, if the store brand is acceptable, Zone of the Enders 2 is pretty good. It's technically not Gundam, but it gets the feel pretty well, especially if you first saw Gundam with Duwang level subs. Basically, you play as a former Not!Zeon ace who quit over a matter of conscience and tried to sit out the war down by Jupiter. Then you stumble onto basically-the-Gundam and kick unholy amounts of spacenoid rear end in your mission to destroy the superweapon of the week, eventually teaming up with the obligatory snot nosed kid with no understanding of regulations,. There's more 3D action than most Gundams, with unlimited thruster flight, but the basic stab and shoot is close enough for government work. It's just a really solid game, and only a little over ten bucks on amazon for PS3. Might scratch the itch. (The melodramatic yelling IS in English, but don't worry. It's just as incomprehensible).

If you need the names, the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games might fit. Haven't played, but I heard they're fun for what they are. Plus, playable Kapool, the greatest of all mobile suits!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, the subs for December Sky are out in the usual places, and it's definitely the definitive version of the Thunderbolt anime. No point in watching the original four shorts now this is here. Not sure where they were going with the Zeong 02 at the end, though. I don't remember it having a presence in the manga. Maybe it's where the Federation got some of the technology they used in the Atlas Gundam?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Does the movie cut anything from the original episodes?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Does the movie cut anything from the original episodes?

The opposite. It adds footage, fleshing out the original shorts into a single narrative.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The presence of the Blue Destiny suits and Pale Rider in Gundam Breaker 3, and the Efreet, have got me a little interested in the Side Story games (I believe that's the series name?) are they any good/available in English?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Thunderbolt was okay, but it really seemed unnecessarily dark and trying to hard to be taken seriously.

The mecha action was top tier though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Monaghan posted:

Thunderbolt was okay, but it really seemed unnecessarily dark and trying to hard to be taken seriously.

The mecha action was top tier though.

I didn't find the darkness to be excessive, but I also think that punishing the viewer for enjoying the action was what they were aiming for. It was a show that wants the viewer to feel bad for enjoying violence by showing them the ugly, desperate side of combat with people near the breaking point. It felt like watching Come and See or the final episodes of HBO's The Pacific, where the show is like "Oh, you came here for some mecha action? Okay, here's a first time out recruit getting bisected by an Ace in a Rick-Dom while his friends helplessly watch. Not enough to satisfy your bloodlust? Here's three people getting incinerated by a beam saber while both the Federation and Zeon try to betray the other during a hostage situation. Are you having fun yet?"

To me, Thunderbolt isn't a show to enjoy because it's fun, but to appreciate because of what it is trying to do. Like War in the Pocket condemning civilian casualties and the hosed up context of little kids enjoying war toys, Thunderbolt shows the horrific effects of war on frontline soldiers, and hammers it home by revealing how pointless the whole conflict is in the end. It's not a show to watch and say "wow, cool!", it's a show to watch and think about how far humanity can be pushed before breaking. It's not tragic, it's just ugly.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm only 8 episodes in, but I'm not really seeing what's so bad about Victory. I'm enjoying it more than I enjoyed ZZ at this point at least. Does it get worse as it goes or am I an outlier?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Xinder posted:

I'm only 8 episodes in, but I'm not really seeing what's so bad about Victory. I'm enjoying it more than I enjoyed ZZ at this point at least. Does it get worse as it goes or am I an outlier?

It gets much more grim, cynical and slightly weird as it goes on. Towards the latter half of the series the gloves come off and the show is determined to break Uso.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I think it's more determined to break the viewer with "No... No this is dumb. Stop please this is stupid."

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Personally, I thought it was fantastic, but it is very different tonally from a mainline Gundam series. There is a seething resentment in this series for the "coolness" factor of some other shows.

There are very few* Gundam series where "War is cool and good" is the message. Even just taking the original series into account, Amuro suffers pretty much all the way through it, Char learns that "revenge" isn't nearly as fulfilling as he thought it would be and that it just leaves him cold and empty, cynical old Kai drops his emotional defenses and goes from being a cynical jerk to a totally broken compassionate person, and so on. Except for Bright Noa, none of the main characters really have a "happy" ending in the original 1979 series that's sometimes portrayed as Rah Rah go Gundam due to the upbeat 70s themesong. Even Bright's happy ending is retroactively denied by him having a central role in three subsequent wars. Even in the original Gundam series, war is portrayed as a remorseless killing machine that mulches up and kills people on either side with no judgement on their personal merit. Being a good person doesn't save you from the Grim Reaper in a Gundam series, nor does being a bad person.

*G-Gundam...? Though even that is "Fighting is the way men best express themselves and understand each other," which is typical shounen testosterone nonsense. Relatively few people actually die in G-Gundam, though.

TL;DR: I'm not sure a cynical "war's no picnic, it's all about suffering" angle is something that really needed to be injected newly into Gundam. It's literally the point of many previous Gundam series, especially 0080 War in the Pocket.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I mean, Bright at least gets to settle down and retire with a nice family owned restaurant, but I wouldn't really call it a happy ending considering how the Mufti incident ended.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G Gundam's plot ends with Domon going "yeah, I communicate by punching but that is genuinely not good and I need to learn to talk in other ways" even.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

G Gundam is interesting because the implication is that there was a war like a hundred years ago and space won hands down. That's why they hold the giant robot tournament on earth and nobody cares about collateral damage.

It's only brought up at the very beginning of the series, then never addressed again.

Ironically, the series that glorifies fighting the most is also set in the most peaceful and politically stable universe (also love turns out to be more powerful than nanomachines but whatever).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xinder posted:

It spends most of the show as a bit drab and repetitive (and a bit tryhard in its tragedy), with some nice, creative fight scenes, some interesting ideas, and some flashes of utter batshit insanity. It slowly ramps up the dark and crazy, and then goes completely off its rocker in the final ten episodes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Patter Song posted:

There are very few* Gundam series where "War is cool and good" is the message. Even just taking the original series into account, Amuro suffers pretty much all the way through it, Char learns that "revenge" isn't nearly as fulfilling as he thought it would be and that it just leaves him cold and empty, cynical old Kai drops his emotional defenses and goes from being a cynical jerk to a totally broken compassionate person, and so on. Except for Bright Noa, none of the main characters really have a "happy" ending in the original 1979 series that's sometimes portrayed as Rah Rah go Gundam due to the upbeat 70s themesong. Even Bright's happy ending is retroactively denied by him having a central role in three subsequent wars. Even in the original Gundam series, war is portrayed as a remorseless killing machine that mulches up and kills people on either side with no judgement on their personal merit. Being a good person doesn't save you from the Grim Reaper in a Gundam series, nor does being a bad person.

*G-Gundam...? Though even that is "Fighting is the way men best express themselves and understand each other," which is typical shounen testosterone nonsense. Relatively few people actually die in G-Gundam, though.

TL;DR: I'm not sure a cynical "war's no picnic, it's all about suffering" angle is something that really needed to be injected newly into Gundam. It's literally the point of many previous Gundam series, especially 0080 War in the Pocket.

I agree with this, don't get me wrong. I'm more focused on the presentation of warfare in thunderbolt versus other series. Much as Gundam falls into the war is hell mentality, they still often have exciting action setpieces and entertaining duels between mobile suits. I'm thinking back to amuro annihilating three musais and a swarm of Rick doms on his first sortie after jaburo. I think that fight is great, but it is more of a "wow look at that!" fight than a "oh god that looked painful" fight. Thunderbolt goes in the opposite direction with the action, making it visceral and stressful to watch instead of exciting.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The struggle is usually more along the lines of, war is bad but buy these cool robot toys!

And to me a lot of times that ends up diluting the message a bit.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I watched all of Origin last night and I really enjoyed it but there were a couple characters, especially Dozle Zabi, who sound like they were recording through a microphone on the other side of a two person setup. Anyone else notice that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

The struggle is usually more along the lines of, war is bad but buy these cool robot toys!

And to me a lot of times that ends up diluting the message a bit.

SEED in particular has this problem. There's some seriously gruesome poo poo in it, but the episode-to-episode action is so full of bright colours, glitzy lasers and explosions, and fancy acrobatics that it very much dilutes the horror.

I don't remember the Wing TV series really doing much to convey what was so appalling about the war it was condemning, either.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

The presence of the Blue Destiny suits and Pale Rider in Gundam Breaker 3, and the Efreet, have got me a little interested in the Side Story games (I believe that's the series name?) are they any good/available in English?

I think From the Ashes was the only English release. It was for Dreamcast, and general consensus seems to be that it was alright, but kinda short. Much more of a Real Robot kind of game than some apparently, since you only got GMs and Guncannons, with ammo, squad performance, and thruster fuel being regular concerns.

Saw a copy for 40 bucks used today, so it's not ultra rare, if you want to get a legitimate copy. You'd just need a Dreamcast too.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So I decided to start watching Build Fighters because I just figure out that while I was enjoying ZZ, I just became really burnt out on typical Gundam by going through all those UC series so quickly. Also I wanted to watch a tournament based show cause that was one of my favorite aspects of ping pong the animation.

Its a lot of fun, and Ramba Ral just literally being a main character in it is hilarious. I know some of the references are going over my head but for the most part I recognize a lot of them through cultural osmosis, and well a ton seem to be from the UC stuff I seen already. I only seen like 7 episodes so far but Its amazing how much better the fights in this are compare to the UC series I watched.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't remember the Wing TV series really doing much to convey what was so appalling about the war it was condemning, either.

What are you talking about? War is awesome.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I agree with this, don't get me wrong. I'm more focused on the presentation of warfare in thunderbolt versus other series. Much as Gundam falls into the war is hell mentality, they still often have exciting action setpieces and entertaining duels between mobile suits. I'm thinking back to amuro annihilating three musais and a swarm of Rick doms on his first sortie after jaburo. I think that fight is great, but it is more of a "wow look at that!" fight than a "oh god that looked painful" fight. Thunderbolt goes in the opposite direction with the action, making it visceral and stressful to watch instead of exciting.

Ah, I got you. Even that scene you mention from the original series isn't as gung-ho as it looks. Amuro is hosed up by his discovery that his father has lost his mind and while Amuro soloing a dozen elite enemy suits of a type he struggled with 3 of a few episodes back is supposed to demonstrate his Newtype powers awakening, it's also symbolizing how he's gone pretty much berzerker. It's not healthy that Amuro is dealing with his personal anxiety about his father's mental condition by going out and straight-out slaughtering a bunch of enemies in neutral airspace.

Darth Walrus posted:

Quatre getting so hosed up by his dad dying that he goes ahead and blows up an entire colony, killing everyone on it? Quatre, the nice, quiet one?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Begemot posted:

G Gundam is interesting because the implication is that there was a war like a hundred years ago and space won hands down. That's why they hold the giant robot tournament on earth and nobody cares about collateral damage.

It's only brought up at the very beginning of the series, then never addressed again.

Ironically, the series that glorifies fighting the most is also set in the most peaceful and politically stable universe (also love turns out to be more powerful than nanomachines but whatever).

Actually, it is brought up again and is central to the plot. The Ultimate Gundam was originally built to use its regenerative powers to help restore the devastated Earth before assholes tried to jack the project for military purposes, killed Domon's mom, framed Domon's dad, and caused Kyoji to have to flee in the Ultimate Gundam(which was damaged in the scuffle and basically went haywire to become the Devil Gundam). Master Asia's entire driving motivation for protecting and supporting the Devil Gundam is that he wants the Devil Gundam to force humans off of Earth(even if it requires their extermination) in order for the Devil Gundam to fulfill its original purpose of regenerating the planet as atonement for mankind's crimes against nature.

Domon's entire final conflict speech with Master Asia is Master Asia going off about how humans don't deserve the Earth and need to be punished for their crimes and Domon yelling at him that while that might be true, Master Asia doesn't have the right to pass sentence on the entire human race.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I didn't find the darkness to be excessive, but I also think that punishing the viewer for enjoying the action was what they were aiming for. It was a show that wants the viewer to feel bad for enjoying violence by showing them the ugly, desperate side of combat with people near the breaking point. It felt like watching Come and See or the final episodes of HBO's The Pacific, where the show is like "Oh, you came here for some mecha action? Okay, here's a first time out recruit getting bisected by an Ace in a Rick-Dom while his friends helplessly watch. Not enough to satisfy your bloodlust? Here's three people getting incinerated by a beam saber while both the Federation and Zeon try to betray the other during a hostage situation. Are you having fun yet?"

To me, Thunderbolt isn't a show to enjoy because it's fun, but to appreciate because of what it is trying to do. Like War in the Pocket condemning civilian casualties and the hosed up context of little kids enjoying war toys, Thunderbolt shows the horrific effects of war on frontline soldiers, and hammers it home by revealing how pointless the whole conflict is in the end. It's not a show to watch and say "wow, cool!", it's a show to watch and think about how far humanity can be pushed before breaking. It's not tragic, it's just ugly.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure I can agree it... works.

The bit that really locked it for me was in episode 4. With the Zeon suicide squad.

I've said this before, but in War in the Pocket, the tragedy comes from the fact all of our leads are likable, decent people. Although Killing fulfills the hideous monster quota for Zeon, Captain Hardy is shown as a good man on the wrong side. He wants to keep his people safe, but he puts everything on the line to save the colony, when he knows Zeon is a lost cause and that his mission is being set up to fail so that Killing has an excuse to use the nukes. Even Garcia gets scenes to emphasize he's not a bad guy at heart. The tragedy of war is that good people kill other good people, often accomplishing nothing in the process.

In Thunderbolt, when push comes to shove, the Zeon grunts care more about GLORIOUS ZEON than about their own lives. They'll go for a suicide pact over any other option. And when a fictional character doesn't care much for his life, I find it hard to argue with him. Once the actual action kicks off in Thunderbolt, it's just housecleaning. A bunch of disposable assholes thinning out their numbers until the time comes for the curtain to close. The play is the tragedy "Man", etc. etc. etc.

The incineration scene had a rather different impact on me. Feel shocked and ashamed if you need, but I thought it was... kinda cool. And funny. Black humor in killing guys just as they agree to live, and as a tactic, it appealed to the part of me that appreciates efficiency. There's a beauty to war's brutality, I suppose, and that scene highlighted it. Unconventional use of pre-existing equipment.

(For another comparison point, Iron Blooded Orphans went for the same thing with episode 23. Only there, the show spent time emphasizing that, even though she killed Biscuit, Carta was mostly just a young woman in over her head, who wanted to impress her crush and live up to her family name. You see how her death hurts others, and it's played up how utterly hosed up what Tekkadan's doing is, even if it's the only call they can make. Meanwhile, the Zeon kill in episode 1 was polishing off a guy who just slaughtered all of Io's buddies, and whose friends were now whining that they could die too, like the fair thing to do would be for the Feddies to just lay down and die.)

Equally importantly, I felt that War in the Pocket played up the futility far better. Everything about the mission was shown in the show to have no impact besides killing good people. All the heroics and all the violence was pointless, and then the One Year War ended on screen before the Alex could have even been deployed.

While I haven't seen the December Sky ending, the incomplete conclusion of the show showed the decisions of the characters as still having repercussions to the end, and Io saving his people with a daring one man commando raid is war showing an impact, as is actually having ABQ onscreen. It was war, with winners and losers, not War In The Pocket's sad farce.

But again, I'm the sick gently caress who watched "The Raid 2" in theaters, and then turned around to buy the DVD after. My inherent appreciation for violence on screen may be impacting my appraisal. Still, in my opinion Thunderbolt did a mixed job of selling the anti-war angle, and the weak narrative overall just... didn't work for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I took the suicide pact angle to be because they'd been abandoned by Zeon. The scientists abused the everloving poo poo out of the Living Dead Division, using them as guinea pigs. When your life is designated as a commodity and you go through increasingly dehumanizing procedures, death might be the only thing left. The Zeon fanaticism on display plays up how little they've come to care for their own lives. They plan to go out with a bang, hoping that their torment wasn't for nothing. It's a way of justifying their actions by reasoning that their deaths uphold the ideals of Zeon, if not the people running the show.

I mean, the living dead soldiers were literally left behind. The science team abandoned ship because their prototype psychoframe data was more valuable than the lives of the soldiers they tested on. After that, there really isn't much more they could do than die and take out their anger on the closest target. It contrasts with how the Moore brotherhood stands up to the elite class when Graham murders Claudia for ordering an evacuation. Graham sees the leaders as the enemy more than Zeon. The Living Dead see their own lives as being so worthless that they're only left with death and anger, but without someone above them to punish, they take it out on their enemy in the Federation.

EDIT: I've now watched the December Sky version of Thunderbolt. I can't help but feel that the montage of A Baoa Qu scenes were unecessary and really only serve as a preview for the next couple episodes they'll no doubt make. Nothing bad, but extraneous.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 9, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched the second and third episodes of Origin. I think of the three, episode 2 is the weakest because it felt too rushed and unfocused. Episode 1 balanced the political tension with the Artesia/Casval scenes quite nicely, and episode 3 was really good at focusing on Char's evolution. But episode 2 jumped around too much and I felt Casval wasn't as well developed in his friendship with the real Char as it could have been. And they had some scenes that were off, tonally, like Lucifer the cat's death getting almost as much screentime as Astraia's funeral. It wasn't bad, and it did some nice worldbuilding, but I would have liked to see it focus more on Artesia to at least give the episode a coherent thread to follow.

The CGI blending with the 2D animation definitely has improved, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yes, I would like to pay a monthly fee for such premium content as Gundam Wing and Seed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It'd be worth it for Vifam.

Vifam!!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Due to how Daisuki works there's a good chance they could also get some cool old stuff that has never been subbed legally or otherwise, too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I took the suicide pact angle to be because they'd been abandoned by Zeon. The scientists abused the everloving poo poo out of the Living Dead Division, using them as guinea pigs. When your life is designated as a commodity and you go through increasingly dehumanizing procedures, death might be the only thing left. The Zeon fanaticism on display plays up how little they've come to care for their own lives. They plan to go out with a bang, hoping that their torment wasn't for nothing. It's a way of justifying their actions by reasoning that their deaths uphold the ideals of Zeon, if not the people running the show.

I mean, the living dead soldiers were literally left behind. The science team abandoned ship because their prototype psychoframe data was more valuable than the lives of the soldiers they tested on. After that, there really isn't much more they could do than die and take out their anger on the closest target. It contrasts with how the Moore brotherhood stands up to the elite class when Graham murders Claudia for ordering an evacuation. Graham sees the leaders as the enemy more than Zeon. The Living Dead see their own lives as being so worthless that they're only left with death and anger, but without someone above them to punish, they take it out on their enemy in the Federation.

EDIT: I've now watched the December Sky version of Thunderbolt. I can't help but feel that the montage of A Baoa Qu scenes were unecessary and really only serve as a preview for the next couple episodes they'll no doubt make. Nothing bad, but extraneous.

Let's... not get me started on the Claudia subplot. Just seems a bad idea.

As for the Living Dead thing, didn't think of it that way. Partially because it doesn't scan for me. You're tortured, abused, and then your superiors gently caress off and abandon you to your fate. Now your enemies come in, not to kill you, but merely to make sure you don't kill them while they use your ship to survive. Your people don't care if you live or die. The enemy, whatever beef you have with them, wants you to live, (even if they care considerably more about living themselves). What you have, is a crossroads. At one end, whatever 'high minded' ideals of Zeon the Living Dead were sold. You die, quite probably pointlessly, for people who hate you and who have used you to execute actions entirely in opposition to those beliefs. At the other, sweet, sweet payback. You have intel that the Federation wants. You have equipment the Federation wants. You can make Zeon pay for underestimating you, make them pay for leaving you to die. Just gently caress Zeon over, as hard as you can, and laugh as you hobble off a free man for your treachery, watching some of your bosses swing on live TV.

Or you can take a middle road, sit and wait, see how you can best follow your conscience and your rational self-interest.

Every Zeke we see is leaning hard for option 1. Now, I can sort of see it from the SPACE WWII angle, since Japanese soldiers were known to have lower rates of surrender (and lower survival rates when they did. Fake surrender for a suicide bombing, the next guy pays for it), but Zeon's culture as shown lacks a lot of the underpinnings that encouraged that divide. (You don't see Feddies sending Revil letter openers carved from Zeke skulls. Also, someone sent Roosevelt a letter opener made from human bones, holy gently caress, what is wrong with people?)

The unit of wounded soldiers in The Plot to Assassinate Gihren felt much more... sensible. (Great read, by the way. Glad the thread was so insistent on that, because I might never have found time for it otherwise) They were still Zeon loyalists, but their experiences made them much, much more cynical about the war and the current power structure, to the point they worked with the titular plot. And those were the Wounded Heroes who got parades and nice, cushy postings, not the poor living dead bastards who had even less reason to support Gihren.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's the name of the soundtrack from Unicorn when the Kshatrya fights the Stark Jegan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's the name of the soundtrack from Unicorn when the Kshatrya fights the Stark Jegan?

MOBILE SUIT, I believe.