Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Hey, it's my 2 year Jeopardy anniversary! That really snuck up on me.

Soothing Vapors posted:

it's actually a rerun

I googled "autistic guy wheel of fortune" and found out he's a redditor who posted all of his sick pro-tier hangman strats

http://buyavowel.boards.net/thread/8330/march-2016-recap-discussion-robert?page=2&scrollTo=77514

Yeah, that dude. I remember watching him the first time around and thinking he was super autismo, reinforced when Pat did his contestant interview. This time around, I immediately turned the TV off when I recognized Pat's shock over him getting the first toss up with one letter and got a look at his neckbearded goofy face again. At least Matt Jackson was somewhat entertaining in his knowledge and runaways, this dude was just unwatchable the second time around.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, that dude. I remember watching him the first time around and thinking he was super autismo, reinforced when Pat did his contestant interview. This time around, I immediately turned the TV off when I recognized Pat's shock over him getting the first toss up with one letter and got a look at his neckbearded goofy face again. At least Matt Jackson was somewhat entertaining in his knowledge and runaways, this dude was just unwatchable the second time around.

After reading his writeup of the episode, I've gotta say that while he's definitely pretty high on the oddball charts, he's also a guy whose hard work and preparation earned him seventy grand. It wasn't a strictly rainman thing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Tony seems to think he's Matt Jackson

edit: lol I posted that assuming he was going to win, go old weird hobo man

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 28, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Quite frankly you deserve to lose for answering Napoleon to a question about French Monarchs :colbert:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Soothing Vapors posted:

Tony seems to think he's Matt Jackson

edit: lol I posted that assuming he was going to win, go old weird hobo man

Good to see Tony lose. He was giving me a windowless van vibe.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Been a while since I've seen a question on Jeopardy worded so badly that it becomes factually incorrect: Haumea is twice as wide as it is tall, since those determinations are made relative to a body's axis of spin.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
LOL at that final Jeopardy. Super easy and no one got it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I guessed Joseph Smith but to be fair to me I'm not American.

My husband when the Whale Rider clue came up: "I've seen that movie, drat it, I can't remember what it's called. She rides a whale in it though."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I also thought Smith, but Young actually makes more sense.

Then it was followed up by morons thinking Space Mountain was a good ride for UNICEF donations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I hope Matt's boneitis kicks in tonight.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I hope Matt's boneitis kicks in tonight.

He gets his teeth kicked in with one of the easiest Final Jeopardy questions in recent memory.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No episode for me on Friday because of the shootings.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
The greatest tragedy of all.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's not like they had any new information, they were killing time but had to BE ON THE AIR BECAUSE OTHERS WERE TOO!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah, any more than a ticker/banner for interruption is worse than useless. There exist other channels!

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

No episode for me on Friday because of the shootings.

Same for me, but it was the weather.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Maybe some of u Jeopardy guys'll like this if you haven't already heard it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZUXHtTr6c
and from the rolling stone interview
"Trebek still has the same digits and answers almost every time. In fact, LPC says, "I just talked to him earlier in the week. Sometimes when I'm talking to somebody I just add him to the call and see what happens. He enjoys explaining to people what's going on.""

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Somehow it is utterly unsurprising that Alex Trebek would stay on the line with some random dude for 7 minutes to argue with him about digital signatures and Siam

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I hate the new champ so much. Egregious board hopping.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zakharov posted:

I hate the new champ so much. Egregious board hopping.

You could tell Ellen wanted to sock him.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I was wondering what the hell that was about. Was there a reason for that, or?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I was wondering what the hell that was about. Was there a reason for that, or?

Forrest Bounce, pretty much. Throwing your opponents off their game by making sure they have no idea where you're heading to next clue. Also, Daily Double fishing.

Loved that the Queens category was about my original home borough. Speaking of Shea Stadium, went to a Mets game against the Nats at Citi Field a couple weeks back (before the All Star Game) with a bunch of Jeopardy alums, including Jennifer Morrow (she of the RUSH drumsticks, $2112 bet during Final and dancing during the contestant intros that pissed a lot of the peanut gallery off) and Kristen Sausville (who just missed the wild card cutoff last ToC, and who came up from Delaware to watch the game and tour NYC in the process). Also, Shea Zellweger, Shannon Lee, and Barbara Gao, a few one and dones from late last year, and Amber Garret, who was just on last month were there too. Was all organized by Julia Lawrence, who Jennifer beat in her first game as champion, and also attended by Ben Hemmens, the champ that Jennifer beat on her first appearance, who was rocking Nats gear and coming up from Virginia. Tom Kelso and Alistair Bell, who won a couple games in 2004 and 2012 respectively, were also in attendance.

Got there late myself, missing the first two innings because getting to Flushing from Staten Island is a bitch, but it was a good game to go see. Super humMets won, 9-7, and it was the last game they won before the All Star Break, and there were a ton of dingers hit (Murphy started his HR streak against the Mets for the series that night), so it was a good one to catch my second baseball game at (first one was at Shea like 15 years ago). Great meeting a bunch of Jeopardy alumni and hope I can do another event with them sometime soon.

Julia wound up using the Jeopardy connection to do Mets Jeopardy during the middle of the 1st inning, and won two Louis CK tickets for a show this Friday at the Forest Hills Stadium. But she's gonna be down in Ocean City this week, so I was the only one in the group who was local and was available to go, so she passed them over to me. Still looking for a person to go with, probably advertise them in the NYC thread or Facebook and hopefully get a response in the next couple of days.

Also, speaking of Jennifer Morrow, apparently a repeat of her episode aired this past weekend in some markets because her Jeopardy anniversary is coming up, and someone in the peanut gallery on Facebook took it upon themselves to insult her poorly and with terrible grammar. Because Jennifer is one of the anchors of the Jeopardy social media universe, a ton of former Jeopardy contestants, a bunch who have met her in real life due to meetups and such, took it upon themselves to defend her. She's one of the nicest people I've ever met despite only having met her a couple weeks ago at the Mets game, and I would've done my part as well, but my computer has been on the fritz for the past couple of days and I didn't find out about it until earlier today when the firestorm had already died down. Really, Jeopardy contestants roll deep.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Has there been a long-term champion that sprinkles in an off-speed pick? Like they'll go Greek Literature $200 - $400 - $600 - $800 then National Parks $600, then Greek Lit $1000?

That seems like it'd be a fun way to throw people off.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
It doesn't seem like there's a ton of value in that for normal categories, so I can see why that's annoying, but bouncing over to something where you really have to keep the category name in mind to come up with the correct answer is an incredible way to assert your momentum.

I metagame way harder than most people who play along at home, though. I probably have the most fun trying to guess what the contestants will wager on DDs.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dear god a professional magic the gathering player is on today

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Guys, I just...
I mean, I don't...
I don't know what brand of pain reliever to use.

I don't know any more.

:smith:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

I probably have the most fun trying to guess what the contestants will wager on DDs.

this seems like it'd be annoying since most of the time they do it wrong.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Groovelord Neato posted:

this seems like it'd be annoying since most of the time they do it wrong.
The cognitive biases are fun, I kind of like sizing up the players during the intro and seeing where they fall relative to expectations. It's frustrating to see a good player way behind fail to make an all-in wager on a category they're great at because it's more respectable to lose in Final instead of what someone perceives as a lovely (even if they played the probabilities fine) DD wager

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

"I'll wager less than the clue would have been worth, Alex."

"Let's bet so little there's no way I could ever take the lead."

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Worked for Arthur Chu :haw:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Colonial Air Force posted:

"I'll wager less than the clue would have been worth, Alex."

But that can completely makes sense! You can choose not to ring in if you don't know a normal clue, you're doomed to gain or loss on a DD. If you don't think you'll know it lower your downside risk.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Pranjal's Forrest Bouncing ways have gotta go

and STOP AVOIDING SPORTS CATEGORIES

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Actually, avoid all sports categories, forever, unless it's roller derby

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Actually, avoid all sports categories, forever, unless it's roller derby

This is the correct answer.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Harry Potter 7? He better not get credit for that.

ed: Good

Zero One fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 27, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I loved how Alex didn't even finish the outro before he started trying to complain about it, too.

That said, I am surprised none of them got that. Even if you had only seen a trailer for the movie, you could answer that.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 28, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zakharov posted:

Worked for Arthur Chu :haw:

it was really lame when people made fun of him for not knowing sports and he responded that he had been too busy having sex with his wife.

sports questions are loving easy on jeopardy you nerds.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was really lame when people made fun of him for not knowing sports and he responded that he had been too busy having sex with his wife.

sports questions are loving easy on jeopardy you nerds.

I almost ran a basketball category when I was on and I haven't watched the NBA since the Vancouver Grizzlies existed.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Who the hell would know that FJ answer? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I knew it was about King Tut but I didn't remember the Lord's name.