Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

MrMoo posted:

and somehow it's only webdev's that take the heat for being terrible.

i think mumps gets plenty of heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

raminasi posted:

i think mumps gets plenty of heat

worse than that, this is vb6. If it were mumps I could have just cached that poo poo in the user's process state array and grabbed it back with like two lines of code.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

worse than that, this is vb6. If it were mumps I could have just cached that poo poo in the user's process state array and grabbed it back with like two lines of code.

piss christ, of course it's still vb6. are they at least on win7 now?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LordSaturn posted:

piss christ, of course it's still vb6. are they at least on win7 now?

we don't support anything less

we are hypothetically transitioning to c#.net but who the gently caress actually has time to rewrite poo poo when there's bugs to fix and change orders to do

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

HoboMan posted:

it's me, i'm the rear end in a top hat who worries about performance in enterprise-grade internal apps.

*waits 15 minutes after login for his garbage fuckbonfire corporate pc to become responsive*

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mr Dog posted:

*waits 15 minutes after login for his garbage fuckbonfire corporate pc to become responsive*

dont doxx me

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

qa fails user story because they say their gently caress off element id's aren't set

log in to perfecto and open object inspector and first thing i see is their element names

send email to qa with screenshots

they say it's not the correct naming convention and send a list of the names that should be there

i respond with those strings are literally in the screenshots i took
-----

my question is how do i gently caress with qa without loving myself?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

KidDynamite posted:

my question is how do i gently caress with qa without loving myself?

get your product owner excited about cucumber

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

maybe try writing perfect bug free code so they dont have any issues to discover

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
use lots of iframes

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

today i spent all day fixing this bug: someone used && instead of ||

had to hotfix it too

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

get your product owner excited about cucumber

these guys are writing the gherkin scripts...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HoboMan posted:

had to hotfix it too

lol if you dont hotfix everything :suicide:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.quora.com/Homework-Question-How-do-I-write-a-program-that-produces-the-following-output-1

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

literally crying in bed rn

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

HoboMan posted:

had to hotfix it too

"someone"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Plorkyeran posted:

blender had an actual ui designer come in and redesign things. it's still a complex and hard to use program, but it's no longer just bad for no good reason on top of that

*right clicks to select this post*
*left clicks to adjust settings*
*right clicks to end adjustment*

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Theory: let's use a dsl so that non-coders can write <whatever code>
Reality: non-coders still won't write code and coders want to use an actual programming language.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Wheany posted:

Reality: non-coders still won't write code and coders want to use an actual programming language.

Solution: Design DSLs as free monads in Haskell. Haskell's do notation makes it a kind of DSL DSL.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Wheany posted:

*right clicks to select this post*
*left clicks to adjust settings*
*right clicks to end adjustment*

Clicks a button in an attempt to adjust what looks like a setting, but ends up launching some kind of function.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

we don't support anything less

we are hypothetically transitioning to c#.net but who the gently caress actually has time to rewrite poo poo when there's bugs to fix and change orders to do

lol how long have you been there, they were "transitioning to C#.net" when I left and that was in 2009

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Wheany posted:

this has literally happened to me multiple times at two different jobs

the dsls were using two different dumb testing frameworks that were just crippled programming languages in disguise and someone proposing a third crippled programming language in disguise to replace one of the existing testing frameworks

we ended up ignoring the suggestion and burning down using the testing framework which had probably a year or more of invested manhours at my latest job and just using C# to replace these types of tests

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

my title is now senior web developer, is this going to make getting another job harder or easier?

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
harder because part of being a senior is mentoring noobs and lmao is there even enough money to make that worthwhile?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Power Ambient posted:

harder because part of being a senior is mentoring noobs and lmao is there even enough money to make that worthwhile?

Man I guess I should talk to these interns much more

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

KidDynamite posted:

Man I guess I should talk to these interns much more

if they're not clamoring all over you, then someone else is taking care of it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

comedyblissoption posted:

the dsls were using two different dumb testing frameworks that were just crippled programming languages in disguise

robot and cucumber

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Bloody posted:

"someone"

i don't know how to do a blame on TFS

e: there's years of commits here all i got so far is it happened sometime after the file was first made, but before i did some major work on this file last month

e2: it's in a change set from before i started working on this so confirmed not my fault :toot:
i guess it was one of those magical things that where it was so broken it still works somehow, like when you gently caress up doing a math problem several times but still get the right answer in the end

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 8, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LordSaturn posted:

lol how long have you been there, they were "transitioning to C#.net" when I left and that was in 2009

since 2012.

soooo, theres a couple things slowing us down. one is, as you probably know as an escapee, the constant churn of retrofitting loving everything to our demanding customers. also the most recent release had *problems* and the two IUs that were hypothetically supposed to fix this instead got squandered squeezing in more enhancements because nobody has any fuckin judgement and this resulted in a companywide "drop everything and only do sus for 2 months" thing. then when everything got back to normal the .net infrastructure team sent out an email that basically said "hey y'all, you know that web framework weve been yelling at you to move to for a decade? uh, well, any activity in it will shield of justice for 10 seconds before loading and were not sure why or what to do about it, so maybe hold off on that kthxbyeeee"

despite this my team added some screens in .net because our demo team demanded "prettier screens for demos", but all they did was make the vb control invisible and then bind every control on the new screen to a control on the old vb screen. no i had nothing to do with that decision.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Guy asking a question on Experts Exchange: "Selecting a line, cutting, and pasting takes too long in Eclipse. Is there an easier way to move single lines around?"
Me: "Alt-Up and Alt-Down."
Guy: "Do you have to select the line first?"

Ugh why wouldn't you just try what I said first it would take a tenth of the time! This is beyond just terrible programmer, right? Though an unwillingness to try things out is definitely a hallmark of terrible programmers.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

why the gently caress are you answering idiot questions on expert sexchange dot biz

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

just paste exactly that line to him. problem solved

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

GameCube posted:

why the gently caress are you answering idiot questions on expert sexchange dot biz

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I didn't know that site still existed, I thought Stack Overflow punched it and took its lunch money

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

GameCube posted:

I work there, so I have a free account! (AMA)

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

:rip: you, drat

uh, well, any activity in it will shield of justice for 10 seconds before loading and were not sure why or what to do about it, so maybe hold off on that kthxbyeeee"

I think I can work out from context that this much mean "dead loving freeze your browser" but I'm not sure, what does this mean

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

CPColin posted:

I work there, so I have a free account! (AMA)

they still exist enough to pay people to use the site?

or do they just scrape snack overflow for content to monetize now?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

eschaton posted:

they still exist enough to pay people to use the site?

They don't pay me to use the site. They pay me to program the site!

quote:

or do they just scrape snack overflow for content to monetize now?

Not that I know of!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LordSaturn posted:

:rip: you, drat

I think I can work out from context that this much mean "dead loving freeze your browser" but I'm not sure, what does this mean

that spinny "waiting" animation that comes up when things are loading? its code is in shieldofjustice.cs. its called the fuckin shield of justice :rolleye:

• Locked thread